• Overall
    4.2 /5

About Moodle

Free online learning management system, providing educators around the world with an open source solution for e-learning.

Learn more about Moodle

Showing 25 reviews of 1,586

Yudi T.
Lecturer
  • Reviewed on 21/09/2020

"Review Moodle"

Comments: Moodle is an LMS that has more complete and varied features, so that lecturers can make more varied learning designs

Pros: Moodle has many features and more detailed usage settings, so that lecturers can design their lessons freely

Cons: Because the features and settings are too detailed, for beginners its use is a little more difficult.

• Reviewed on 21/09/2020
Harshil K.
Internship
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2020

"E-learning Plus Full package of online studying"

Comments: Extraordinary, learning with perfect understanding, ideation, E-learning, online learning leds to flexible learning.

Pros: I am a student of Hochschule Duesseldorf University of applied sciences. My university is on Moodle and my every second thing is operated by means of moodle. My lectures notes, attendance, research papers, books, Homework, assignments and even some times examinations with the end result everything is done on moodle platform. It is an complete platform for an university student. Every course is given a separate folder by which ease of operation is achieved. During this corona pandemic time my lectures were also done via moodle and also by other online platform but moodle is the medium of uploading the recorded lectures which is very much helpful for the teachers as well as for students. Various Forums were created by lecturers on moodle in order to have a Q/A session or a survey session by which every student can participate and can also upload their respective files. On my vision, moodle is the best learning tool I ever come through, it is simpler and better way of teaching and providing teaching materials. Also there is an Chat option by which teachers can guide there students.

Cons: Moodle can create a sudden limitation toward ones privacy as every one in the course is able to operate almost every thing which is available in the course material and forum which can be not a suitable thing for everyone. I think moodle should provide some privacy features like only xyz person can see and edit the files or works by which false marketing and copying can be avoided but it is just an suggestion from my side as in my class such a situation had arises in some previous time.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2020
Vashi T.
Master's Student
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/03/2018

"Moodle as a student and administrator"

Comments: There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros: First: It is free! As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users. As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons: The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

• Reviewed on 3/03/2018
Engineering Student
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Moodle for University Student"

Comments: Overall this is very good useful e- learning platform to any students specialy in lockdowne periods like in these corona pandamic days.I is very helpful to me to do my studies continuesly and I hope it will be very helpful to you.

Pros: Moodle is a very good e- learning platform which can provide best space for education between lecturer and students.That is the best part of this E-learning platform which I like most because it provide many options and facilities to lectures and students to do their teaching and learning things very easily.Specialy on lockdowne periods like these corona pandamic days I produce grate platform to do distance learning and education.There for It was very helpful to me to doing my studies continuesly without any disturb even every lectures and university was postponed and closed.My lectures was able to continuesly upload the lecture slides and videos to the moodle and it supply every facilities for do the lecture in online.I am very happy for that because it was very easy to interact with those lectur videos and slides.It was very helpful to me.And it also give the facility to lectures to create online assignments and we are able to submit our answers to it through over our profile.There for lectures able to checkout our learning progress and moodle automatically give the marks which we achieved as soon as we submit our assignments.It was very helpful to me because I can know my marks quickly there for I can ready for my next assignment very well.I really like this platform.

Cons: Still I did not found any downgrades to this platform but I do not like to Moodle mobile application.Because I has not much of function to interact with our Moodle profile like web interface.I like if this mobile or web platform inform us any new lectures or reaching a submission due dates like alarm or reminders.it has show up some notifications but still it has not this functionality which I mention previous.When I going to submit some assignment it has some file capacity limit there for I had to face many difficulties when going to compress my submission and upload it.I thought it is better to have much more uploading capacity limit than now.

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Campus Tour Guide
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"From a Teaching Assistant point of view"

Comments: Personally I really enjoy Moodle because it eliminates a lot of the excuses that students made in the past (losing papers, not writing stuff down). We provide them with the material and they are responsible for it. It also allows us to encourage discussion that we can then see the result of, allowing us to monitor how well students are understanding the course material.

Pros: I used Moodle from a TA point of view for university level courses. I liked it because I was able to upload powerpoint presentations, documents and other handouts for students to download on their own. This made material distribution easier because students can't lose handouts. Further, I like that students are able to refer to notes that are prepared by me, allowing them to pay more attention in the classroom, rather than madly writing everything down. Further, it allows students to interact with each other through discussion forums where they can ask questions to one another or have discussions about class content. I can monitor these and step in if students need a nudge in the right direction.

Cons: Moodle takes a bit of time to learn from the user/student perspective. They need to spend some time playing with it to figure out what tools are available and how to access different areas.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Enrrique P.
Instructor
Telecommunications
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"One of the best applications for instructors."

Comments: Have at hand an educational application that allows me to prepare courses and complete classes for work groups or students, where I can evaluate them and keep track of each class or team, knowing what are the strengths and weaknesses to improve the group every day.

Pros: Every professional of the instruction that has knowledge of the technologies of learning to used moodle, is par excellence one of the favorites to the hour of teaching, be it at university or professional level, this application is very flexible and complete, it allows you to create courses, evaluations, create forums, classes, upload videos and more, much more, when you need to prepare new staff or improve the resources you already have, you can always count on moodle for this task, plus it's free, but, you will need a development team to customize to suit your company.

Cons: Maybe the wide application can hinder the development for a specific task, or if you want a simple course, it can take a long time to customize for a small session where example you just need a course or evaluate something, maybe in these cases is better another option.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2018
James D.
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2018

"Handy, free option for learning."

Comments: It’s hard to find something bad to say about this program. After all, you’re getting so many features that other programs charge you to use. However, my experience with the lagging was frustrating, especially since I was on a deadline. If it had been only a little worse, I could have missed the deadline. Granted, while this was annoying, I have to remind myself that it is free to use. Can’t really complain.

Pros: Well, first off, it’s free! When price is important, especially for smaller schools and companies, free is always a good thing. The amount of features that Moodle has is one of the things that drew us to it in the first place. It has many features that even pay-to-use programs don’t have. It’s also so easy to use, which makes teaching new people how to use it a breeze. I like how grades can easily be uploaded and viewed. Courses are also very easy to update, with the ability to upload lecture notes, powerpoints, and tests. Very much worth the “cost.”

Cons: The program is very basic UI-wise. It could do with a little more flair, user-wise. It would also be handy to customize the pages based on courses. It would also be good to have the program email a person when they receive a message. Otherwise, it could be days before you get a message, depending on how often you log in. Also, even though it is easy to use, it is often laggy. This is frustrating, especially if you’re trying to complete a test or quiz by a certain time.

• Reviewed on 11/08/2018
Assistant Professor
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2018

"A cost-effective"

Comments: Because it is free, my Institution (public University in Brazil) could afford to implement it to improve the quality of undergrad courses.

Pros: I am using the software for about a decade now and it improved a lot! Moodle is a very capable LMS, free and opensource, with a good number of very useful resources for teachers/instructors and leaners. There is a huge community of users and developers to get support from and share experience. Furthermore, one can get a taste of this LMS or even in deep, in-pracice, learning how to use it using free online resources, such as https://moodle.org/demo/. Although it is mainly developed for education, it can be tailored to be used as other kind of content management system, such as general websites and a plataform for team-based activities online. Worth to note, Moodle is developed with socio-constructivism philosophy, and this makes a significant difference in terms of effective improvement of the teaching and learning activities using technology resources.

Cons: Some teachers may find it a little cumbersome because of the high number of features and customization options. The interface is a little outdated and could be more intuitive and flexible. Some features requires TI expertise to be implemented and requires server-side access. Finally, upgrades (notably major ones) must be carefully planned and executed to avoid data loss.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2018
Kristy A.
English Teacher/ English Department Head
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2017

"Moodle helps me keep all important documents my students need in one place."

Pros: Moodle makes it easy for me to distribute handouts and reading materials, and take up student work all in one place. It saves time by allowing me to load materials my students need in a daily basis. It helps students keep track of their assignments and all handouts. If a student misplaces a handout or reading materials, all they have to do is go to my Moodle site and download the documents again.
I also love how all documents students submit through Moodle have a time stamp. This helps me hold kids accountable to deadlines and keeps a record that is useful for sharing with parents during conferences.
The other feature I really like is being able to load as many documents as I want on my site and then using the hide feature to keep students from being able to see the documents until they are needed.

Cons: I haven't yet mastered how to use Moodle to give my students tests. I have tried to figure it out on my own without training, but I have not had a lot of success.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2017
Tigran P.
risk manager
Banking, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/02/2020

"Review for Moodle"

Comments: Moodle is a main source that is used in my university(I am doing my Masters and working at the same time). It helps me to submit my homework and track deadlines. Although I am very good at using Moodle now, it took me a long time to get used to it.

Pros: First it is free source for students, so you do not pay anything. Second you can enroll for different types of classes just using enrollment key and this is very convenient. Besides Moodle shows you the deadline for different assignments and you can submit your university homework by using Moodle, which is very practical and easy. Also it allows you to track your GPA for each course, that you too before. Moodle recently added a group chat function, and this might be a great tool for team projects.

Cons: It is very slow. Sometimes it takes more that 1 minute in order to upload 1 Word file. This is quite embarrassing. Also it sometimes have serious technical issues and students do not have access to Moodle. Also, the interface of Moodle is not well designed and it took me a while to become familiar with it.

• Reviewed on 2/02/2020
Virginia M.
Social/Clinical Research Specialist
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2017

"Easy to use and you can't beat the price"

Comments: Compared to other Learning Management Software that I have used, this one is my favorite. I found it easy to learn on my own, build a course, and interact with students through Moodle. I found the email feature to be very useful when sending grades out to the students because I did not have to go back and forth from my personal email account to Moodle to look up contact information. It made assignment submissions easier too.

Pros: I used this software to teach a fully online course for a couple of years. Despite having no formal training, I found it easy to learn on my own (although I'm sure it had capabilities I never discovered). When I came to a problem I couldn't figure out through trial and error, the website usually provided the solution. I used the assignments, lesson, and quiz features the most, and found them to be straightforward, easy to set up, and versatile enough to fit my needs. The student interface is also simple to follow, and I appreciate the options to hide and reveal features automatically. I also like the metadata that Moodle collects on student usage, though I did not get to explore it or use it as much as I would have liked.

Cons: The most challenging part for me was to follow the various threads in the discussion forums, although I believe the students did not have the same problem (they were likely more tech savvy than me). While I found the grading to be easy, for the most part, I found the advanced grading options (such as rubrics) to be confusing.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2017
Jennifer E.
Student
Higher Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Easy Online Learning"

Comments: Overall, Moodle is super easy to use from the student perspective and appears easy for instructors to customize the feel and requirements of the classroom. It is a HUGE improvement from the previous blackboard software that was used years ago.

Pros: I love that this system is easy to navigate. Each "class" is highly customizable allowing instructors to tailor the classroom experience. Grades are easy to access and, again, instructors can customize what is displayed and when. The ability to search forums is also incredibly useful and saves you from having to go through every thread to find what you're looking for

Cons: The icons for uploading files are not optimal and slightly confusing at first. The upload feature in general could use some refining. The forums also do not work well when pasting certain formatted information that is copied from Microsoft Word. I would love to see this feature improved

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
Peter S.
MSCIS Program Chair
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/07/2020

"Still leading solution"

Comments: Using for asynchronous and, in combination with Blue Button, for synchronous online learning.

Pros: Moodle can do everything, and more, that the more expensive solutions can do at a fraction of the cost.

Cons: Moodle is designed with a technical user in mind. It's great for IT classes, it is not as good of a fit for less technical courses.

• Reviewed on 7/07/2020
Samridh S.
Electrical Engineer II
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/02/2019

"Good/Average platform for Education"

Pros: I used Moodle mostly throughout my Undergrad courses and it worked pretty well overall.
- Clean user friendly interface
Overall it is easy to navigate. Instructors were very well aware of how the system works to create their course pages so hardly any issues. It has a very customisable site design so every course can be adhered to the need of the students and the instructors
- Good for Media and contents
Accessing the contents on Moodle was super easy. I really like that all the multimedia and such contents were easily available at all times. Didn't require much learning curve to find where things are use them accordingly
- Has been around for a while
Moodle community is huge and it has been around for a while. It has gone through numerous updates based on various reviews and feedbacks so it has definitely gotten better. It is also open source so definitely a plus to find solutions to problems really easily.
- Integrates well and flexible
I was able to use Moodle on any platform tablet, phone, laptop very easily. It integrates very well on different modes so I really like the fact that is super flexible.

Cons: Moodle in my opinion has some drawbacks like
- It could be a little more user intuitive so one doesn't need to be super tech savvy
- Contents could be organized in much better efficient way
- Did not like at all that the history is lost after classes are done. May be it's how the instructors set it up
- Very Basic UI, nothing fancy.

• Reviewed on 1/02/2019
Marc B.
Lead Pastor
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/01/2019

"Happy Student"

Comments: Excellent experience. I'm a more organized and happier student because of Moodle

Pros: It works just like it should! I've taken online classes for two years and have so impressed by the functionality available in Moodle. Online class can be difficult to navigate but Moodle gives you everything you need, in a way you can use it. Moodle allows me to stay up to date day to day and week by week. It also allows me to look ahead to upcoming assignments and plan my schedule accordingly.

Cons: The only time I've been frustrated by Moodle has been when the school administrators fail to leverage it with excellence. This is zero fault of Moodle and all on the school. Moodle provides an excellent environment for online class and when its used correctly, its a phenomenal tool!

• Reviewed on 23/01/2019
Alison L.
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2018

"Great functionality at a great price"

Comments: The ability to create a professional, functioning course at a low cost and fairly low effort.

Pros: Moodle provides all of the needed basics for conducing an online course. Learning units can be logically created and presented all at once, or released on a weekly basis or other time frame. The grade book allows you to get a snapshot of the entire class, or focus in on one assignment or one student. And of course, the price can't be beat!

Cons: Moodle can be a little clunky at times. Some grading methods allow you to include an attachment, but others don't. The scrolling function in the grade book, should have a floating header because you can't always tell what category you are in on lower rows. There are many versions of Moodle out there, and finding support and answers to questions can be difficult to obtain.

• Reviewed on 18/03/2018
Intern
Legal Services, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2018

"Great software for schools to use for students classes"

Comments: I used Moodle for all 4 years of college and thought it was a great software to keep classes organized.

Pros: Moodle is a great place to organize classes for students. Professors are able to make a page for their class and post grades, homework assignments, lectures, etc. Professors can also set up quizzes/test that can be taken directly on Moodle and can be graded by Moodle. This is very efficient for students to keep track of grades. As long as professors keep their Moodle page updated, it is a great way to keep up if you miss a class.

Cons: In my experience the overall grade shown by Moodle always seemed to be wrong. This may have been because the professors didn't set of the proportions correctly.

• Reviewed on 29/12/2018
Rahul A.
Assistant Professor
  • Reviewed on 20/07/2019

"Moodle as a LMS or CMS in educational Institutions"

Comments: Very much satisfied with this Learning Management Platform.

Pros: 1. Moodle is a completely free software that falls under General Public Licence( GPL). 2. This Learning management Platform can be customized as per the requirement of different type of users. 3. This can be configured as a course management platform so that teachers can manage an entire course by the following activities
a) Creating courses and adding course materials
b) Giving and grading assignments
c) Feed back & Survey
d) Online Test
And there had a lot of other options for course management.
4. Apart of Course management we can even configure as a small ERP system for our Institution. 5. This LMS can even compete with Google Classroom ( LMS by Google) 6. This is one of the largest LMS used across the globe. 7. Unlimited numbers of users can be enrolled. 8. Memory usage is find optimal. (Around 20 MB RAM size is only spent for a single user login)

Cons: 1. A normal user without any knowledge in IT technologies find it difficult to configure the Moodle. 2. There is no emergency contact person from the developer side for software related assistance.

• Reviewed on 20/07/2019
A D.
Knowledge Manager
501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/01/2017

"The evolution of learning online, provided as open source."

Comments: I have worked with Moodle for 3 years now and there is nothing that matches it's versatility for teaching and learning within an LMS platform. It is open source and aggressively managed by a large group of dedicated people worldwide. As with all open source products, there is a learning curve and sometimes difficulty with finding the information you desire about a certain aspect of the program and platform, but the quest for information is not insurmountable.
Just to reiterate, the site is open source and when you download it and use it on your own hosted server, you may customize it any way you see fit. You just have to know what your doing, or being willing to learn.
Moodle even allows you to have them host your site for free and use it for no more than 50 people.

Pros: Free, customizable, actively managed and updated, mobile friendly

Cons: Trouble finding answers to operational questions

• Reviewed on 25/01/2017
Miguel C.
Country Manager
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Learning platform review"

Comments: The overall experience is good, but I am trying to implement new resources to increase the user and student experience, so I focus on finding new tools to integrate new methodologies.

Pros: It is almost a standard. Moodle is the most popular e-learning platform, which is an advantage when you want to develop a project in an international environment.

Cons: It is complicated for the beginners. When you are using this tool for the first time, you have to spend a lot of time to understand the logic of the menus and the edit mode.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Math Professor
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2019

"Free LMS!"

Comments: I am using like two years until now for my Math class an is an excellent platform.

Pros: Moodle allows me to make an online assignment for Math class where the student can practice without paying for it. This platform also includes the option for an external tool that allows the use of other free online interactive page. Easy to use and navigate but if you don't understand something there are plenty of videos for help. I like that I can track my student's grades and assignment progress.

Cons: Some professors may find it a little inconvenient because of the variety of customization options and lack of administrator permission.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2019
Pedro C.
Investigador/Docente
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2019

"Learning knowledge in one place!"

Comments: Very satisfied, always recommended, and I'll continue recommending!

Pros: The easy to use, creating groups of learning, the easy no deploy information, and to connect to other tools, makes Moodle one of the best tools for e-learning. I make part of a big University, and E-learning without Moodle would be impossible. With this tool, I can share slides, make exams, share grades, send emails for a selected group.

Cons: Until now, nothing really bothers me. Perhaps the integration of a forum without the need to use Adobe Connect could be very useful. But that's my opinion because I need to work with that program on my moodle.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2019
Maria j. C.
Graduate Assistant
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2019

"Using Moodle as a Graduate Assistant"

Comments: Moodle has all of the features I needed to teach an undergraduate class.

Pros: I used Moodle for an undergraduate class that I was teaching and it was very helpful. I used it to upload documents, including powerpoint and important handouts, and share to the whole class. Students also used Moodle to upload and turn in homework and other assignments to me. I was able to see the exact time when students uploaded materials to give them credit for meeting deadline requirements.

Cons: It can take some time to upload documents as these have to be done one at a time, I wish I could upload folders with several documents.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2019
Allison D.
Music Designer/Teacher
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/08/2018

"Moodle - Time to Change Your LMS"

Pros: I appreciated how easy it was to embed. I really liked being able to embed content from various sources so I could make my courses look the way I wanted. I would code quite frequently to adjust sizes, places, colors, and more and Moodle made that an easy thing to do.

Cons: The overall design of Moodle just seemed outdated. It was not able to display in a way that looked modern. It seems like the interface or layout needed to receive a big overhaul in order to be more in tune with how other learning management systems look. My school switched to Canvas and although it isn't perfect, it is far better improvement than Moodle.

• Reviewed on 2/08/2018
Carlos B.
Software Developer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/12/2019

"Decent class and student management system"

Comments: My college used Moodle during my time there and it got the job done without too much frustration but there were some user experience issues with the interface.

Pros: I liked the simplicity of the options to see grades and classes. In college we did not get to use all of its features but the main ones that we used allowed us to see upcoming events and class grades and professor notes.

Cons: The interface was not as intuitive as I would like. Sometimes it is hard to figure out where some settings are. Additionally, many of the features and notifications were easier to get through email instead of using the platform.

• Reviewed on 27/12/2019