15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About The Magazine Manager

The Magazine Manager is the global leader in publishing software with sales, production, and billing in a single unified platform.

Learn more about The Magazine Manager

Pros:

We liked that we could have everything in one system including billing thru quickbooks and our subscriptions. Its very easy to use after taking the training and using daily.

The Magazine Manager ratings

4.5
4.7
4.6
4.7

9.2/10

The Magazine Manager has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 314 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used The Magazine Manager before?

Amy
Amy
Financial Operations Manager at Associated Students of University of California, Riverside in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Amazing platform!

Pros:

We are a student run college newspaper and this platform has made ad sales, publication timelines and more so seamless! The prior platform wasn't web based and very outdated. This has brought us to a new level.

Cons:

To be fair, we are still learning the platform but take advantage of the webinars as often as possible.

3 years ago

Thanks for the awesome review, Amy! We appreciate you!

Jen
Senior Account Manager in US
Newspapers, 11–50 Employees

Magazine Manager Helps Keep it Together!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Easy to use and manage all of my working accounts. Providing detailed report outs of past years - comparisons to previous issues and products.

Pros:

Keeping everything in one place and easily pulling needed information. Keeps me on task - providing quick review of past sales / etc.

Cons:

The inability to schedule our digital packages with many products as one line item - while still providing a sub job jacket or something for artwork and schedule

3 weeks ago

Thanks for the great review, Jen. We appreciate you!

Linda
Executive VP in US

The Good, Bad & the Ugly

Comments: I find it much more difficult that my previous database to work with when it comes to cancelling converted proposals.

Pros:

The positive using this software is it is easy to see Accounts payable send invoices if needed.

Cons:

It is not user friendly. I find this software very difficult and cumbersome to manipulate.

4 years ago

Thanks for your review, Linda. We appreciate your feedback about the user experience on our software. We will forward your comments to our development team to better The Magazine Manager.

Jodi
Publishing, 51–200 Employees

Mag manager

Pros:

Magazine manager allows me to keep organized with all of my tasks. Future calls scheduled meetings. These features help me tremendously with my daily workflow and time management. What I like best for each contact entered, I can go to notes and activity and enter or review what was discussed last.

Cons:

What I like least about magazine manager is that there are too many ways to search for a contact. This leads to multiple entries of the same business. This has caused confusion and controversy between other sales reps.

4 months ago

Thank you for the great review, Jodi. We appreciate you!

James
Advertising and Digital Director in Panama
Alternative Medicine, 2–10 Employees

It's made of a Magazine/Newspaper business

Comments: Overall I am quite happy with the change, and look forward to growing with magazine manager and learning the new features that they are constantly adding on a regular basis.

Pros:

I finally found a CRM that was built for the publishing industry that we didn't have to pay someone a lot of money to build out. They are constantly doing updates to make it or intuitive and friendly.

Cons:

Sometimes it is more complicated than it needs to be, or they haven't completely developed certain aspects they are still under development.

2 months ago

Thank you for the great review, James! We appreciate you!

Jason
Sr Marketing Advisor in US
Media Production, 51–200 Employees

Reliable and easy to use

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Solid experience so far. I've found that the essential things I need coming from a Salesforce-heavy background are satisfied.

Pros:

In the short amount of time I've been using Magazine Manager as my daily CRM, I've found it very easy to find new tools to incorporate into making my daily routing.

Cons:

Email integration took a bit of time for our internal operations team but it is working well now.

3 weeks ago

Thanks for the great review, Jason. We appreciate you!

Scott
Director of Sales in US

Best Multifaceted Solution Overall

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: As a user over the past 14 years (just back after 5 years at another company with another system), I've seen the other side; clunky order entry with separate CRM, separate system for production. The forever & a day order entry for multiple zones, multiple issues elsewhere is frustrating compared to creating an order with easy & copying it instantly with MM.
Magazine Manager is the best!

Pros:

Order entry, billing, production, pagination all in one place for print & digital.

Cons:

CRM's are diverse, but there are better out there.

2 weeks ago

Thanks for the amazing review, Scott! We appreciate you!

Kristina
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

One of the Best

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: This has been one of the best CRMs I've encountered in the magazine publishing space. From leads, tracking, billing, marketing, email list...all important aspects on one platform.

Pros:

There is full-service functionality. All team members find a use here

Cons:

It can be difficult to navigate the system, but there are a lot of video courses

2 months ago

Thank you for the incredible review, Kristina! We appreciate you!

Sue
Media Advisor in US
Publishing, 501–1,000 Employees

Advertising Sales CRM review

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, it was easy to start using, and I keep attending the training seminars which help me add more of it's features to use. I know I'm just scratching the surface, having only used MM for 5 months.

Pros:

It gives one database management center, easy to schedule activities and differentiate type of activities; can rate level of prospects. Like the ability to write notes and am eager to use the new AI feature to summarize the notes from prospects & customers.

Cons:

Reports can be complicated to set up. If I schedule an activity that changes, it's hard to adjust it. Have to clear out the inbox even when a task has been marked completed.

3 weeks ago

Thanks for the awesome review, Sue. We appreciate you!

Denise
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Essential for magazine ad sales

Comments: Fantastic program and I love it! I have used many crm program but this one is specifically designed for magazine and it makes it easier to track and plan ahead for many years.

Pros:

The ability to create proposals and track opportunities linked to companies and individuals from the company

Cons:

Not being able to enter a contract on the mobile app

2 months ago

Thanks for the amazing review, Denise. We appreciate you!

Kim
Integrated Media Consultant in US
Publishing, 51–200 Employees

Great CRM system for magazine and digital website publishers

Pros:

Very useful in sales for CRM and for inventory management of digital ad inventory.

Cons:

Email marketing for sales could be improved so that sales can manage their own monthly email sends to clients based on a product category. Training is nice but could be more consistent. I wish we could have links to each ad creative within the line item of each placement to refer to. My previous software has this.

3 years ago

Thanks for the kind review, Kim! In regards to the email marketing, reps can add their own Mailchimp API key to track individual opens, bounces, and clicks. Even if your site is set up without the Mailchimp integration, you can send email campaigns as an individual rep. Depending on your support plan, users get between 4 to 12 hours of free training annually. Our help site also has hundreds of videos and courses specific to job functions. Lastly, in regards to the links to individual ad creatives, there's a link to the job jacket on the order screen. The green arrow next to each ad line item will take you into the job jacket. If you need more information, your software consultant is always happy to assist you. We hope this helps!

Publishing, 2–10 Employees

We came back to the best

Comments: Excellent. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has done an exemplary job keeping us informed and helping us out with one-on-one training.

Pros:

We used MM for a few years, switched to another provider (price and supposed options) and then came back. What we thought we were getting from the other provider was no where close to MM. In the short time we were away, MM added many of the features that we really found important. I will never switch again. They are the dominant player in this market.

Cons:

Nothing really. They are very responsive to our needs and if we aren't using something it's because we haven't taken the time to learn it.

4 years ago

Thanks for the incredible review, Chris! We appreciate you.

Becky
General Manager in US

Back and Here to Stay!

Comments: Staff have been very helpful with transitioning our data to Magazine Manager. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is so helpful!

Pros:

Magazine Manager is relatively intuitive. Staff are much happier working in this system than the one we switched from. The data is reliable. I'm confident that when I run a report it's pulling in data correctly.

Cons:

Pricing of the software is always challenging. I wish that they would not charge per user.

2 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful review, Becky. We appreciate you!

James
Advertising Director in US
Music, 2–10 Employees

Can't work without it!

Comments: I've tried all the major CRMs but for the publishing industry, no one does it better than Magazine Manager.

Pros:

It streamlines the sales process with integrated tools. Everything works together!

Cons:

There is a bit of a learning curve but once integrated, it's easy to use and intuitive.

4 years ago

Thanks for the incredible review, James! We appreciate you.

Barry
Office Manager & Sales, Admin Team MM in US
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for those who are willing to learn to use it.

Comments: As a publishing company, it is assumed that you have 2 basic kinds of products: Print & Digital. We have a 3rd - Shows. We just put it under print, but its short sighted that there are only those 2 basic types of products. Also - We have Co-op dealer ads that we had to come up with our own solution to figure out how to do the insertions & how to bill. This is not a new thing. There should be a simple solution for it built in. Cest la vie. Also, the process of importing our old data was clunky & not explained clearly. It was eventually done right, but sometimes it felt like the data import team & the team that sold us MM weren't on the same page. And finally - it seemed backwards to me that Accounting was the last group to be trained & it was after the sales & production teams had gone live. Nothing should have gone live until everyone was trained. Just my personal observation.

Pros:

I love that you can easily keep track of all the ways you contact a client & don't have to copy & paste emails into comments. I also love the simplification of the process of getting ads in & processed. I also love that I can access it anywhere.

Cons:

Because of the way we track some things, we have had to create a lot of custom reports. The reports are a little clunky in the printing process, both our custom reports & the built in reports. Its absurd to me that there's not a button (that I've found) you can click that totals the report at the bottom. The "print with totals" button that is in the built in reports includes totals from EVERYTHING. Including all other publications, instead of just the report I'm interested in. What I've ended up doing is exporting it to excell & summing it up, then printing it myself. That being said, if folks in our organization could get away from their need for printed reports, or took the time to figure out how to run reports themselves, the reporting system is fine. The other "con" of ths software is just that it is so expansive. If you take the time to learn to use it, its amazing. Some of the folks at our organization have embraced it & it is a wonderful tool for them. Others just don't want to do something different & will never be happy with change. The continual "well in the old system we could do this" gets really old after 6 months.

Priscilla
Accounting/Admin Manager in US

Magazine Manager best customer service

Comments: It has been great. I enjoy work with [sensitive content hidden] and the rest of the help staff.

Pros:

As a person, who was put in the position of preparing contracts and maintaining the ad updates for our company with no experience at all in this process, I have found that Magazine Manager has the most knowledgeable and helpful customer support team around. No matter how small of an issue (but world ending to me) I can do the help chat and the person helps me out each and every time. I have been fortunate, that when I do use the help chat I usually get the same person, [sensitive content hidden] and he is fantastic. Helps me every time and never thinks I ask too many questions. [sensitive content hidden] is our main person and he is fantastic, also. If I have a major issue, I can contact him and schedule a training session with ease.

Cons:

This may be in Magazine Manager and I just have not looked - but it would be nice if adding the next years schedules would be a little easier. For example: we run a weekly digital email and have a space for 1 banner ad and 4 block ads, I would like to set it up where for the Daily Emails the limits for those are posted so we do not oversell ads.

last year

Thank you for the wonderful review, Priscilla! We appreciate you. If you have any questions regarding the software, please reach out to your software consultant. We'd be more than happy to work with you to address anything you may need.

Aili
Sales Coordinator in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Why every publisher should use Magazine Manager

Comments: Our team has been able to increase efficiencies across the board with Magazine Manager. There is much more transparency into all areas of the business as well as the production workflow. This tool has tremendously helped our sales team, production team and accounting team. We look forward to switching our circulation team and art [SENSITIVE CONTENT]
over to this platform so we can have our entire company operate out of a single system.

Pros:

Above all else, the customer service I receive from Magazine Manager employees in unparalleled. Not only is it a fantastic software with every capability we need and then some, but the team they have put in place at Magazine Manager is what I like most about working with them. Everyone is so incredibly knowledgeable and willing to jump in and help no matter what the request may be. I don't consider myself well versed in anything technology, but in working with Magazine Manager, I've been able to overcome those challenges and help my team create a workflow that has much more ease and transparency than ever before.

Cons:

Because there are so many features and capabilities, I sometimes feel as though I am missing out on some of the benefits the software provides. I want to be more of an expert on the software rather than an expert in only a few areas. I do appreciate all the webinars put out by Magazine Manager and am certain that my knowledge will expand as time goes on.

2 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful review, Aili. We appreciate you!

Kevin
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Marketing Software That Works

Comments: Overall it has been a good experience. Changes to the invoicing and payment system have been helpful. Really looking forward to the Google integration.

Pros:

With anything, there is a learning curve and it is the same with Magazine Manager. Once you have the features all figured out then things start to progress quickly. With the Client contact lists grading them is helpful so that you are getting to the Hottest clients first then working your way through the list. The mobile version is critical when out on the road.

Cons:

My frustration comes when there is an agency involved with the account. The company contact comes up but then you have to remember that the agency is the one to contact and have to transfer out. Then when you capture an email to the agency to have put in the no0tes, it goes to all of the accounts that the agency is linked to and can create confusion. ie: Alex approved the Jan Issue Full Page for $6200. And the email ends up in several different accounts to Trinity Trailer, Nachurs Chemical company, and DoFine Irrigation.

3 years ago

Thank you for the kind review, Kevin! We will forward your feedback to the development team. We appreciate you!

Keith Yarber
Owner/Founder in US

Magazine Manager is the "HUB" for TOPS Magazine

Comments: Overall, has been very positive. I find my rep and others at Magazine Manager to be very responsive and helpful. The Magazine Manager keeps updating its software to make it more user-friendly. TOPS is very satisfied with the Magazine Manager, and I credit them for helping our company grow. We look very professional to our clients.

Pros:

The Magazine Manager is truly the centralized go-to source for our company. Our salespeople depend on it several times a day to check contacts, orders, e-signatures, accounts receivables, leads, production reports, and reminders. The features are pretty robust but not overwhelming like some software. Like any software, adoption is the key. If you need a report, chances are you can find it. I wish we had started using Magazine Manager years before we did. Support and service have been top-notch.

Cons:

Would like to see a better way to make proposals and presentations roll up into monthly budgets for print and digital. Also, would like to see goal tracking on a 12 month basis.

4 years ago

Hi, Keith! Thanks for the great review! For goal tracking, please ask your software consultant about turning on the Kibana Dashboards. This feature offers many ways to track goals. In regards to the proposals, when you contact your software consultant, ask about ways to group proposals. They'll help you find the solution that fits best to your needs.

Sonya
Sales Admin in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

MM Review from Cahaba Media Sales Department

Comments: Over all it is very good. I would like a faster turn-a-round when I do a ticket, but doesn't everyone want things NOW.

Pros:

I do like that we have hours of free training or assistance. The ease of using the system is very logical. Logical is GREAT - in a system like this - having too many options of ways to do the same things gets confusing and MM does a good job of "less is best"! Not less quality but less options on how to do a task.

Cons:

There seems to be some things we have asked for that we are told cannot be done - removing contact names if the contact name has ever been associated with a contract. I get why - but we have asked for a button to make it show inactive so we don't have it on a drop down. Also the dates stay in the publication lists and they start with the oldest so if I am adding new or adjusting a date in 2021 - I have to scroll all the way from the oldest to the newest - and do this every time - it should start over where I left off.

3 years ago

Thanks for the kind review, Sonya! We appreciate you and will forward your feedback. If you'd like to discuss specifics of the software, feel free to contact your software consultant. They'll be happy to help!

Karen
Advertising Consultant in US
Newspapers, 11–50 Employees

Newspaper Management For the Future

Comments: Ease of order input
Scheduling of orders well in advance
Payment posting and providing real time receipts to customers
Proposals of requested orders

Pros:

The ease of use. You are able to upload client information from your smart phone or computer. You have all your pertinent client information available when you are on the go. You are able to view all notes and activity that has taken place. There is very little down time with this product, if any. There is a trouble ticket reporting system for when you do encounter problems with the system.

Cons:

It would be great to be able to readily identify client specific order information when you need to. I generally have to pull up each order on the account if I am looking for a specific one. I would like to be able to quickly identify a specific order without having to call up each individual order to identify it.

4 years ago

Thanks for the awesome review, Karen! We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to our development team.

Janelle
Account Executive in Canada

Great CRM system

Comments: My overall experience with The Magazine Manager has been great. Our company has taken advantage of the free training that they provide which has been extremely helpful. They are very easy to get in contact with when I need help.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to pull up an account. I can be on a call and need to look something up and I can do that so quickly while on the phone. I also really like the advanced search function. I use this everyday do perform different searches on which clients to call.

Cons:

I have trouble using the daily call functions. I am sure it is just me and maybe I haven't taken the time to figure it out, but I do find that a bit difficult. I want to be able to pull up a list of the calls that I want to make for each day.

4 years ago

Thanks for the great review, Janelle! With The Magazine Manager, you can efficiently compile a list of call backs each day by scheduling them in the software. Here's a tutorial to help explain: https://help.mirabeltechnologies.com/video-tutorial/schedule-callbacks-best-practices. Please note that interface updates have now put Saved Searches in the upper right-hand corner of the Advanced Search. Another helpful tutorial can be found here: https://help.mirabeltechnologies.com/video-tutorial/new-sales-rep-overview. Fast-forward to the 33-minute mark for the best advice, and feel free to reach out to your software consultant with additional questions!

Mary
Director of Operations in US

Magazine Manager: The Ultimate Publishing Powerhouse

Pros:

Magazine Manager is a fantastic publishing solution that offers a user-friendly interface, comprehensive management tools, efficient ad management, subscription handling, robust analytics, and excellent customer support. With regular updates and adaptability to industry trends, Magazine Manager stands out as a must-have tool for anyone in the publishing world.

Cons:

Would love a clean report that just shows all receipts received for a time period.

9 months ago

Thank you for the great review, Mary! We appreciate you! Regarding your request for a report to show all receipts - the Transaction Report (under your Accounts Receivable Reports tab) allows you to see all money invoiced and received during a time period of your choosing, and you can even filter by Company, Business Unit, and Product. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to your software consultant. They'd be more than happy to assist!

Scott
Co-CEO/Publisher in US
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Great company, helped grow my company.

Comments: So far, so good. Have enjoyed coming back to Mag Manager after a few years off.

Pros:

[sensitive content hidden] is the best in the business. Always helpful and eager to see us grow.

Cons:

Reporting still needs some improvement. Ability to pull up and create lead sources by additional categories.

last year

Thanks for the great review, Scott. We appreciate you!

Dan

Magazine Manager Review

Comments: Overall our experience with Magazine Manager has been good. Yes, we've had a few problems here and there, and they have always found a way to solve them for us.

Pros:

Most of all, I like the ability to build our own reports to fit our needs. The program has saved us time and frustration by coordinating what used to be separate functions into one program.

Cons:

Like most things, you will need to invest some time to set up Magazine Manager to work optimally for your Company. Since we first subscribed to Magazine Manager several years ago, there have been many improvements to the program. At any time, you can make suggestions by adding them to your wish list. When users provide similar input, they take them seriously.

4 years ago

Thanks for the nice review, Dan! We appreciate you, and we're always here to help.