• Overall
    4.3 /5

About Basecamp

Trusted by millions, Basecamp puts everything you need to get work done in one place.

Learn more about Basecamp

Showing 12,855 reviews

Associate Director
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2021

"Great for Project Management"

Comments: Love basecamp. Easiest software to use to project manage. We use this every single day. Don't foresee that changing anytime soon!

Pros: Such an easy way to communicate with teammates on a project, track our progress, share files, and project manage. We also use the basecamp calendar to track all of our marketing emails, social media ads/posts, print marketing, and events. It allows for easy "Traffic control" of marketing efforts.
I also love that when you want to communicate on a project/task, you may have for example 10 teammates on the project but you can pick for your email notification of the new message/post to only go to specific individuals among those 10 included so it still tracks the conversation but only notifies those needed without overwhelming others with tons of email notifications.

Cons: Honestly nothing. This software has so much to offer and they have amazing notifications and tutorials that are 5min or less to learn more to better project manage and take advantage of everything it has to offer. If anything (and to be honest - perhaps they have it and i just dont realize), it would be great to have a quick way to review marketing pieces and comment on needed updates/changes made to a document vs. as almost like a "chat"... we separately use inmotion to review marketing pieces while also using basecamp to project manage.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2021
Evan R.
Donor Development Specialist
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2021

"Unburden your Inbox!"

Comments: I encourage you and your team at least test this system. If you find yourself sorting through constant emails to find where you left off on a project- this is for you! For our team, this dissipates stress in the workplace and I have found it permit clearer communication across departments, providing for an amplified experience when teams meet in person- more productive meetings.

Pros: As a non-profit end-user, there are multiple projects I will have on my plate on any given day. In 2020 alone, I was managing the implementation of database training, following-up with Q&A from my colleagues while also navigating new tech integrations for our CRM. With so many moving parts coupled with a shift to heavy remote work, Basecamp provided an ease in transition, permitting us to keep pace with our current systems so that we would not lose the full measure of impact we have on providing aid to at-risk children during the pandemic. In short- less clutter in your standard email inbox and rapid collaboration within secure channels.

Cons: You do not have the ability to archive content, which can make sorting difficult if you are use to this dynamic in say Gmail.

• Reviewed on 27/01/2021
Ryan W.
Marketing Director
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/04/2020

"Basecamp allows me to track my team's progress easily and efficiently"

Comments: I've used Basecamp for my team for several years now. The communications solutions, file management services and archival features are all excellent. As an administrator and user, I highly recommend Basecamp for any organization with several ongoing and simultaneous projects.

Pros: Basecamp is a project management solution that allows me to stay on top of my team's projects with ease. Projects can be categorized and organized so that only members working on a particular project are exposed to the communications and back and forth. We use Basecamp as our primary solution because it is easy to implement and onboard, simple to use and has a robust set of features that are among the best in the industry for what we need.

Cons: My only complaint is that the different versions of Basecamp have different features. For example, the version we use does not allow for time tracking. While this is not necessary, as we don't bill out by the quarter hour, it would be a nice feature that would allow me to better understand how long certain tasks take my team members. If Basecamp had universal features across all versions, this would be a miracle solution.

• Reviewed on 11/04/2020
Ellie G.
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2019

"A Really Good Project Management Tool!"

Comments: Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

Pros: Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

Cons: When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

• Reviewed on 15/12/2019
Kate B.
Communications Manager
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2019

"Easy, Affordable Project Management for Your Entire Team"

Comments: Since we started using Basecamp, our project intake process has become much more organized and it's way easier to see what everyone has on their plate. It's also helped us get approval from key stakeholders since everyone at every step of every project has to-dos assigned to them. I also love the integrations. We sync with Everhour so we can keep track of exactly how long it takes to complete each step of each project, which has helped us become more efficient and also see where we're spending our time.

Pros: I love how intuitive Basecamp is to use and how easy it is to keep track of upcoming projects and set priorities. I'm new to project management and it's been so easy to set up every project and teach new employees how to navigate the system. You can set different projects for different teams and even invite clients to view projects. Plus, you don't have a limited number of seats so everyone in our organization can access it without us needing to purchase anything additional.

Cons: There are too many places to communicate within Basecamp so it's important that you have a clear process. You can comment on an overall project thread, a group and in each individual to-do so sometimes it's hard to tell where a comment is located. However, it does show you which to-dos have comments within them and there are easy-access notifications at the top of your screen at all times so as long as comments are recent, they're easy to find.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2019
Daniel R.
Executive Producer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2019

"(BC3) A friendly project management tool"

Comments: Basecamp is a great way to collaborate with clients and teams still. The nature of direct 1-1 communications means it will never compete with Slack in terms of moment to moment integration (We dont use campfires or pings or whatever they are called), especially since we do a lot of work in JIRA and therefore our project and process are already disconnected (I could see Campfire being more useful if we were more actively using Basecamp). For now, it serves as a place to post assets for review and archival to the client, as well as a place to post longer messages, like meeting notes in a way that is organized and contextual.

Pros: The reintroduction of client permissions made BC3 instantly more usable as it reintroduced the collaborative nature that wa a hallmark of this product (The "clientside" approach was garbage)
Basecamp offers a clean and approachable structure to project management. It is not intended for software development really, but can be used to run a project or even as a company hub (we use it for both, though in full honesty we have mostly transitioned to slack).

Cons: As above, the initial clientside approach was really underwhelming. It worked for specific low-touch clients, but if you were actively collaborating, it was offputting and cumbersome.
It can be sort of cumbersome to navigate files, and I wish there were data integrations to link Google Shared drives

• Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Stanislav G.
Digital Marketing Specialist
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"Can be Really Good if Team is Synchronised"

Comments: Basecamp provides a platform for collaboration and project management that can be the backbone of digital marketing agencies, software development companies, or any other company which has a team of 5+ and at least 5+ projects (my estimates, not limitations of the product). It just helps the team to keep it all in one place and more importantly - it helps bring together remote teams, which is an ever-increasing scenario for many IT companies hiring VAs, content writers, PPC specialists, developers.

Pros: It gives you the opportunity to manage a complex business with multiple projects and team members, providing a platform for communication and collaboration. I've personally used Basecamp for two years and have liked it in general for organizing Digital Marketing projects within an agency. You also get the ability to add the client to the project and choose what to show or hide from them, making it just a bit easier to keep them in the loop and get required feedback from them.
The ability to export tasks to Google Calendar is a good touch, but it would really depend if workflow creates Google Calendar worthy items. If not, you have a calendar within Basecamp.

Cons: Like any software with vast functionality, you have to learn all of its features to use it as it is intended to be used. Collaboration with teammates adds one more layer of complexity and problems can arise if the team is not coached to use it in a common way.
The ability to assign tasks to others can get overwhelming for the assignee. I personally had two account managers above me, as well as content writers I worked with and they all kept assigning even the smallest of tasks, or even worse - largely undefined tasks, that eventually led to me accumulating a whole lot of tasks and not seeking to clear my list.

Maryellen M.
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"For managing details and timelines for complex projects"

Comments: I am a fundraiser, and often - OFTEN - have several big fundraising projects in preparation at the same time. Before Basecamp, it was a nightmare to keep all of the details for each event separate and clear, without dropping the ball on some important responsibilities. Unfortunately, failing to take care of an important detail on any of these events can be devastating, so I could barely sleep because of the stress of worrying about where I was on each project. Also, since I often use some of the same vendors (caterers, tent rental, hotel space) it was hard to remember if I had talked to them about each individual event, and had all of my facts straight for each individual event. Basecamp makes it possible to track each and every event carefully, set up connecting emails to keep everyone informed, and makes it very easy to set deadlines, timers, and reminders for every important goal and part of the event. It took an entire weekend to set up all of the lists, timelines, and connections needed within Basecamp for the eight complex fundraising events I had on my calendar when I first set up in Basecamp. But after that weekend, I slept better than I had in months because everything was organized, I could see in a few seconds exactly what was on my "To-do" list for each day, each week, and up until the day or the event, as well as what I was waiting for from anyone else. This program is certainly an expense. But it gave me incredible peace of mind.

Pros: It is so well integrated. For example, taking one action will also notify several team members who need to know about that action without me having to send numerous emails. The software makes it possible to track several or many projects with dozens of people without losing a step or forgetting anything.

Cons: A bit of a learning curve to get started, but technical support is good, and the program quickly becomes intuitive. The other members of your team - not only your staff, but your client - must also be willing to learn Basecamp. On the other hand, once they do, they will love it - and you!

Ross M.
Operations Director
Media Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/12/2018

"The Best "Pick Up and Get Going" Task Manager"

Comments: Basecamp is where we keep all of our assignments and initiatives, and we've become diligent about not letting any lists or to-dos creep outside the system. This relies heavily on managing the project list carefully and making sure everything has its place. There are not guide-rails to keep you from placing a task in the "wrong" place - fortunately you can move tasks all around if someone puts something in an incorrect place. It's important that you define what Projects exist and create a framework for where assignments should go. A frequent complaint we hear around the office is "I don't know where to put this" so it's important that you outline your project structure and communicate it clearly. If you can nominate a gate-keeper to watch over the system organization, Basecamp can be a very effective way to manage all assignments across an organization and allow people to simply see what's due, when, with ease.

Pros: Basecamp requires very little setup and there are very few barriers to overcome to get in and start making projects and tasks. It can very very scalable in terms of users and project count, and it's approach to To-do Lists and Tasks makes project organization fairly straight-forward. At it's core, making tasks is as easy as choosing a place to put them, naming them, and assigning them. With simple reports, users can view their tasks across all projects and start tackling them. If you want to take things a little bit deeper, you can assign mutiple people to tasks, set due dates, and loop other people into the tasks for conversations.

Cons: Basecamp still has some key missing features that create workflow issues every now and then. You can create recurring events, but not recurring to-dos. So, for example, if you want to create a "Close Accounting Books" to-do and assign it to a user to be finished each month by the 15th, there is not currently support for that. There's also no built-in gannt views, although they continue to innovate project management with new simpler ideas such as the "Hill Chart" which i'm a fan of. A lot of the lack of complex features comes from their desire to carefully curate features to keep the application from ballooning into a beast that's unwieldy and hard to learn.

• Reviewed on 9/12/2018
Scott B.
Chief Business Guy
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2018

"Basecamp 2 is a good base for collaboration"

Comments: I work in the non-profit world and we have many volunteers that help for a season, or a project or some other random and unpredictable way. Basecamp allows us to invite users into a specific task or project in a way that is almost fool-proof. Using Basecamp means I don't have to get a volunteer network clearance to be on our internal network. Basecamp lets us store files in the cloud so all can access items easily. We even have staff creating weekly virtual meetings and updates for volunteers can access info at their best time and know what is happening that week and what expectations are for their volunteer teams. Basecamp allows our staff and volunteers to think outside the traditional uses of project management apps and gain some real productivity and communication value.

Pros: Basecamp 2 is an intuitive collaboration tool that helps groups work together by keeping all conversations, files, to do lists and timelines in a central location that is easy to access and easy to invite clients, volunteers and others into the process. I
f a feature isn't intuitive for you (or you forgot how to do something), the quick videos located throughout the app bring the feature into focus quickly and easily.
Basecamp is simple enough for the masses to use without using expensive live training resources. They have really figured out how to get people on board and up to speed quickly.
Basecamp has the ability to store files with specific projects. that saves me lots of time when I want to find that obscure file but I can't remember where I saved it or what I called it.

Cons: Basecamp presents itself as 'project management' software. I am not so sure I would place it in that genre of software. I see it more of an easy access, bring the crowd together to collaborate and make sure you have an easy place to catch up with conversations, read files or see what is next on the to do list.
I guess the fact that it has a to do list makes it a simple project management tool. So, maybe it is okay to call it basic project management...

• Reviewed on 20/11/2018
Nagish K.
IT Officer
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"Best Tool for Online Project Management and Team Management"

Comments: I am using Basecamp from last two year. I love it because of its Team Chat, the average price which is very affordable, Message Boards/News which have so many options to edit the text, such as bolding, coloring, bullet points, etc which I personally didn't see in any other project management tool. Most of the time I use it to update stockholders, where it also provide privacy. When I want to inform specific persons I can select those and send them message once at the same time. I love its reports feature too. Drag and drop for rearranging tasks in task list is pretty awesome feature. I like Basecamp’s structural way of arranging everything like links, file, comments, communication, etc.
I recommend it to everyone because of its Free Trail which is a very good thing to try it before buying the full package.

Pros: Basecamp is an online project management tool which can be accessed through a Mobile device by its app or directly through the web on both PC and Mobile devices. Managing multiple projects at the same time is very easy with Basecamp. Basecamp is featured rich web app where each and every feature such as Project Updates, Discussions and In-project Todo Lists/Tasks are on one-page and a user can easily find them directly by first look. The best thing in Todo list is multiple Todo lists in a single project for different department’s collaboration which makes it more powerful than the other available tools in the market. Document upload and sharing with others and receive feedback or comments makes it more versatile. The coolest feature which I like is the Catchup option for knowing about today and today’s progress in a single click. The best feature which keeps me update about the progress is the Progress feature, where the whole project is displayed as a timeline on one page, that’s just amazing. It’s so easy to see the milestones and progress right in one screen and scroll to see how much of done for the course of a day or month. The simplicity of Basecamp makes me love it; because Basecamp has a very lean user interface, the smooth learning curve for first-time users and scalability to use it for larger projects which makes it adoptable for everyone.

Cons: The workflow is not built around any specific industry so it may not be a very perfect for specialized companies but it can be used by anyone and it can be adopted easily because of its ease and more features.
The Calendar view/ Schedule doesn’t show a specific task's progress in details. it will make more sense to calendar/schedule view if the schedule is shown like the progress bar for every task.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Gurbir singh S.
Co-Founder & Managing Director
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/06/2018

"Amazing Project Management Tool"

Comments: Proper management of projects in my company. Upto date client reviews/feedbacks and more.

Pros: I am using Basecamp since 2014. One of my friend from Dubai introduced Basecamp to me. It's simple and ready to use. No puzzles to do settings. Simple team member invitation. Simple client invitation. Create project easy. Tagging teammate is an awesome feature. we can simply tag our teammate in comments, to-do items, team chat, personal chat etc same as we do on Facebook. We can appreciate someone for his/her response. Set reminders and a lot of other activities can be done. No billing issue. the unlimited number of team members and no limit of file storage. Easy interface. If I talk about the support, team basecamp is very supportive and active to help its customers. You need help? write on Basecamp's twitter account and get a response in very short time or simply go to the website and write them, they'll definitely write you back. Once my account got suspended because of less funds, I simply wrote an email to [email protected] and got an instant reply from Sylvia Chong <support team> with positive response and activation of my account for next one month. They understand customers and help them back.

Cons: Ammm.... Truly I have nothing which I like least about the Basecamp. Yea, more features can be added. Like invoicing, proposals, lead management and few other services. Because we have to find other vendos for all these services. It's complex to manage multiple vendors. Oxibase Software is one in all. They have invoicing, lead management, proposals, payment collections, project management, HR all in one. So, I would suggest basecamp to include some more features in it so that we don't look for other softwares :)

• Reviewed on 6/06/2018
Kim S.
Event Coordinator
Events Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/04/2018

"I have used Basecemp to communicate with independent contractors, internal creative team and clients"

Comments: Keeping all creative edits, documents, client information in one place was great. It was very organized and helped me to be organized and retrace my steps when needed.

Pros: I mainly used this product when I was working in advertising but we still use it for the design of our program each year with our Communications team. You can create projects and determine who can see them - so, for example, I have a client (X) and my internal team (Y) and independent contractors (Z) for Project A. I can have an ongoing project named Client X where I've added all my internal resources to discuss every project we are working on with them where I can do everything from give SOW, get an estimate of time, create a timeline, receive rounds of work and communicate with my internal team with all changes in one place. I can remove people from conversations that they may not need to be a part of, but they can come see the conversation later if they choose/need to. I will receive email updates from Basecamp every time someone has sent me something on Basecamp. I can also have a Project named Project A where I add members of the client team. Here I can get approval for the cost, send a timeline and all drafts of the project. I can also have a Project named Z for the Independent Contractor. Here, I can get an estimate from this person, send them a proposed timeline, and receive their work. It keeps all of the documents in one place, all edits, all communication and can be organized however it suits you!

Cons: When I was in advertising, the main issue I noticed was that people who don't take the time to learn how to use Basecamp are it's biggest downfall. For example, we have everything from Account Managers who respond via email (which works, but inserts their signature unnecessarily into the comment every time) to creatives who create a new thread everytime they have an update to a project, which defeats the point of being able to look back at every edit/communication to see when a change was made or was supposed to be made but was missed etc. It can also be detrimental if you don't select the appropriate people to see your comment/document. If you just reply to the people who were on the previous comment without checking who was on it, you might not be sending the draft to the right people and it will get missed. Another thing we noticed is that people who did not want to acclimate or never properly learned how to use Basecamp would not read the messages in their email and assume that it was not for them. So you still have to manage up because if you want your higher ups to be looking at something, sometimes they still ignore it =)

• Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Tara M.
Digital Marketing Paid Media Account Manager
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/04/2018

"Basecamp is excellent for client management tasks that involve multiple departments."

Comments: The main benefit of Basecamp is the ability to assign out specific tasks to specific individuals and with a due date. As a full-service digital marketing company, we benefit greatly from the software's overall project/client-focused design. Basecamp helps my medium-sized company to know which members of each department on working on a client. With the due date feature, users can indicate time-sensitive or priority matters. This feature is optional, which allows our company to distinguish between short term tasks and long term goals. Basecamp's design is checklist-oriented. Checklists appeal greatly to our more meticulous employees, but also encourages the more Type B employees to focus their ideas into timely and measurable tasks. The newest upgrade to Basecamp 3 introduced the Campfire feature which is ideal for internal projects, a benefit that was missing from the previous version. This aspect of the software is perfect for intra-department non-client work. For example, the account management team uses this feature to collaborate on building a new template for our client presentations. Overall, Basecamp allows my company to achieve large-scale goals by breaking them down into distinct tasks.

Pros: I work on the client-facing side of a medium-sized digital marketing services company. I love that Basecamp aligns perfectly with our multi-client firm. The latest upgrade to Basecamp 3 expanded the product's utility. Basecamp's design allows my coworkers and me to assign and manage tasks across departments. The new Campfire feature expands Basecamp's utility to include internal project management in addition to the main benefit of organizing client work. This feature allows for a more casual flow of ideas for projects that my team is working on as a group.

Cons: I dislike that Basecamp does not allow the user to know the workload of another coworker. For example, if I need a small change to be made to a website, I would assign that task to a member of our design team. They are very busy and sometimes that task can get backlogged if the recipient has a long list of assignments to complete. Additionally, when assigning out new clients, it is important to see which of my team members has the extra hours in their schedule to handle a new account.

• Reviewed on 4/04/2018
Joel T.
Marketing Manager
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/03/2018

"Basecamp is simply the best at what they do. Easy to use, logically designed, totally in love!!!"

Pros: It's simple interface makes managing multiple projects a dream. As a Marketing Manager, I'm over seeing everything from product launch to creative development. I have a larger team working on a broad array of projects. Basecamp let's me go in, add tasks, easily check progress and get updated on everything in a manner of minutes. If I let my notifications go untouched for most of the day, Basecamp is so easy to use that I can clear my Heystack notifications (usually 60+) in a few minutes. Updates are that clear!!!
Basecamp, if used properly, could totally eliminate the need for internal email. In fact, I insist my team use Basecamp instead of email. Basecamp focuses communication on the work being done and allows everyone a view on the conversation. This is a problem with email, and merely fwd'ing or cc'ing all the time doesn't really fix the problem of keeping a large team 100% informed. Plus, we all know that no one reads their email.
Beyond that, their customer service is top notch. They take a personal approach with everyone. I once caused an issue with how they program their "todo lists" and they created a fix JUST FOR ME! I assume others use it too, but they wouldn't know that it the "fix" was even a fix, because it was the personal touch that Basecamp gave me that introduced the fix.

Cons: Basecamp has taken a minimalist approach to software design and as a project management tool. In some cases, I do find myself wishing for certain features. Ultimately, I've tried other software and though they may do what Basecamp does while also including those other features, Basecamp is simply the best at what they do, even without the other features, so I have never considered switching.

• Reviewed on 7/03/2018
Mirko P.
Representacion Nacional
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2018

"Basecamp is the best tool for any company that need tho work flawless."

Comments: I have a company that works on different projects, each of them have different people assigned to solve task and petitions, Basecamp allow us to check and control all the way to complete the projects, also not all projects are the same, but BaseCamp allow us to configure task with different properties, so we can manage something like sales, logistics, inventory, CRM, marketing, etc, each one totally different and with unique procedures and characteristics.

Pros: - Easy Task management, you can assign people, times and extra features to avoid missing it and loosing clients and opportunities.
- Each member on a team have total notification about new task and deals times to complete, also all the to-do it's on screen to easy reading and follow.
- All projects have total control on notifications, chats, messages, and easy to follow commands from projects heads.
- On each new Camp, the tools need it to make it work, are easy to use, today area show all the important task and to-do for the day, and the timeline allow us to follow how our projects go on.

Cons: - On to-do list, need more ways to add information or graphics.
- Tasks have deal times, but the notifications just go through web, I really wish some mobile (SMS or Push) or social notification (Whatsapp, MSG).
- What about a IA helper that suggest the best ways to solve some dealing task?.
- Each member need an account, but not all have time to create or manage, some just need notifications that roll-on with a QR, simple an easy without account.
- Could be a great feature to create UNIQUE procedures choosing from list, like shortcuts.

• Reviewed on 27/09/2018
Scott S.
Director of Operations
    4.5 /5
    3.5 /5
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2016

"Good starter program to help you get you orginized"

Pros: Basecamp - Great online content management system. This system is very easy to upload to and share information with your workgroup. It is not that expensive and will give you great capabilities if you are working on more than one project or if you need to share information with work partners. You can start as many projects as you need, and you can limit who has access to different parts of that project. Breaks down into two groups your Team and the Client - you can set access for each of these groups. Clients can be limited to only view or change particular accepts of the project that you give rights to. Tracking - you have the ability to track compare work that has been done to early versions of a document. You can also pull up the work history of Team members or Clients. It is easy to invite Team members and clients and there is nothing to download.

Cons: After you have uploaded files (in my case as a publisher images for example) you can not download them as a group. You have to individually download each file that you need. This can lead to having multiple version of a file. If you do not delete a previous version of a document then there will be two. the only way to not run into this is to us the document fuction in Basecamp. This feature is very basic. if you do not stay on top of file management and discussion you could be soon over run and find yourself with a lot of clean up work.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2016
Jean gonzalez O.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2021

"Why I use Basecamp"

Comments: My team use to use an old fashion written calendar to write down their weekly tasks and then Covid happened. We were suddenly 100% online. Basecamp helped us get organized. Interestingly, I realized that the way we had been doing our work before was actually slow and confusing. Basecamp has helped my team stay on track and complete projects faster than when we would work together in the office. Basecamp has drastically improved our experience.

Pros: What I like most about this software is that my entire staff is able to see their individual weekly tasks in one place. My team does a lot of creative video and media work. Base camps help my team members know what each other's daily tasks and objects are and where we are at with those tasks. Basecamp has allowed us to have all of our work in one place and that's improved our team's ability to communicate. We now complete tasks more easily than ever.

Cons: The only con is the cost of Basecamp. I wouldn't say that Basecamp is expensive. However, it does look like there are cheaper project management tools on the market right now. Those other project management tools lack some of the features that base camp offers but they can be cheaper. I would like to see Basecamp adjust their prices so that they could be more competitive with these other companies.

• Reviewed on 20/01/2021
Sherly H.
Consultant
Mining & Metals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2019

"The perfect solution project management with many team members & projects"

Pros: Being involved in business acquisitions means that there may be the possibility of having to handle more than one projects at the same time. Naturally, all of the projects are, most of the time, equally important and it i paramount that the deal can be closed on time without any significant delays. More often than not, many team members are involved and expected to push thing along so that the processes can be completed in accordance with the pre-determined schedule. Prior to using this software, it was sort of a nightmare having to chase every single team member, constantly and manually inform everyone what their immediate tasks and deliverables are. The downside of doing this is that sometimes misscommunication may occur where one would thought that his/her supposed-assigned tasks is handled by someone else, and ultimately this will cause delay on the targeted milestone. Gone those terrible days where everything have to be manually tracked and consolidated! Using Basecamp, team members can collaborate to manage individual and team tasks on the same platform. This way, everyone is ware of their assignments and deadlines, as well as any supporting files for the said assignments, Here are some of the available tools by Basecamp which are very helpful: project-specific chat, forum (for more extensive discussions, idea), To-Do list, Schedule to manage milestone, deadlines and meetings, virtual storage solution. Moreover, I love that Basecamp has a friendly and easy to use GUI,

Cons: Some of the features maybe duplicates in terms of functionality (ie schedule - diary), cannot create recurring to-do which can be a manual process, can be seen as a very basic project management software, no feature to know what is the workload of other colleague; this way if someone is pretty occupied, the task can be reassigned to someone else. Also pricing structure may not be suitable for small business with few users and projects. Last but not least, perhaps the threshold for file size can be increased a bit so I don’t have to share them via other means (ie Dropbox of Google Drive).

• Reviewed on 20/03/2019
Cenk K.
Marketing Executive
Consumer Electronics, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/12/2020

"Best Project and Task Management Software I've Ever Experienced"

Comments: In 10 years of experience with many task and project management tools, Basecamp is and I believe will always be the best platform I've ever worked on.

Pros: Basecamp is a well-designed task management platform which also have useful tools for collaborating, instant messaging, managing team calendar, file sharing and collecting feedback from teams. Plain design and well-crafted UX makes Basecamp easy to be learned by new team members. Apps for mobile devices, PC and Mac works well so that makes Basecamp accesible from anywhere. Basecamp also works really fast as a cloud-based software and I believe that is very important for task management platform.

Cons: Basecamp doesn't really have huge cons. There are a few thing I'd like to see on Basecamp. A detailed reporting screen and maybe a customizable dashboard would allow managers and directors to monitor what's going on during a day or a week. A personal dashboard would help users to plan their day, week or month much easily. A more advanced permission screen for teams and projects would be amazing.

• Reviewed on 4/12/2020
Tabitha N.
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2018

"Been using Basecamp for years, can't imagine porting over to anything else"

Pros: I've used Basecamp for my business personally for close over 3 years now. Before this, I was just emailing assignments out to people on my team, and "tracking" things in an Excel spreadsheet. The process worked, but it was cumbersome and inefficient. One December morning, I woke up and decided that it was time to get streamlined and organized, and had heard several other people raving about Basecamp, so I decided to give it a try. It took a while to get all the projects set up - which certainly is no fault of Basecamp - I just had a lot of clients to set up, and a lot of projects, requirements, etc. Now, I cannot imagine my life without it. Several clients we work with use Asana (out of all project collaboration platforms, this one is my least favorite since it's always a disorganized mess), Trello, Jira and Podio. I find Basecamp to be the most intuitive and easy-to-use out of all of them. Plus, it has a great app that I can use on my iPhone and iPad when I'm traveling.

Cons: There aren't any real "knocks" to Basecamp, per se. Sometimes the server might be down, but this is few and far between... and also something to be expected when you're using SaaS, cloud-based product. Sometimes I don't get email notifications when someone has updated a task thread, but I use the calendar and "progress" functions on Basecamp religiously, so am usually able to figure it out pretty quickly.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2018
Nigel W.
Head of Marketing
  • Reviewed on 9/02/2017

"Basecamp - Good for document collaboration and task management"

Comments: I've used basecamp for 2 years. Set up six projects including Competitor Intelligence, briefing and training repository for external marketing agency, document assignment and review with PR agency, same again with Copy Writing agency and a knowledge base for internal systems like CRM. Initially we didn't have this integrated with Google Drive / Google Docs, which wasn't so god as to review a document you had to download, then upload again. This can lead to multiple documents, clutter and confusion. So if you're looking to use Basecamp for document collaboration I'd definitely recommend you integrate with Google Drive & Docs. I scored Customer Support 5/5. Well in truth I've never needed to use support. The product is simple and self explanatory with tutorials / templates built in. I scored Features & Functionality 3/5 which may seem low. But the fact is this is quite a simple product and it does what I want. I cant say it misses much really if all you want is to collaborate around documents, have task assignment and tracking and allow discussion on any document. I found it both useful for content creation (the PR agency and Copy writing agency projects being good examples) and content dissemination & discussion (the competitive intel. and systems knowledge base being good examples). I had tried to use DropBox for some of these tasks previously. But at that time BaseCamp seemed more powerful. Things may have changed. I haven't tried DropBox for the past year or so.

Pros: Simple way to collaborate on tasks and documents / attached files

Cons: I've since worked in an organisation that uses Slack and Google G Suite (Docs and Drive); and I think that is better. When and if Google add something similar to Slack to G Suite I think that will prove better and cheaper

• Reviewed on 9/02/2017
Product Manager
  • Reviewed on 6/07/2020

"The foundation of my success, is Basecamp"

Comments: Awesome. The product is easy to setup. Easy to on-board, easy to start using. Easy to achieve benefits from. High quality, cheap and the support is second to none.

Pros: Everything is in 1 place. All emails and context are linked and it's super easy to see a holistic view of everything.

Cons: The calendar is terrible, specifically,​ it's lack of 2-way sync is deeply frustrating. You either have to commit to Basecamp being your calendar, or your calendar is a separate silo outside of Basecamp​, either option is not an ideal.

• Reviewed on 6/07/2020
Sara M.
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/02/2017

"Basecamp user for 6 years"

Comments: I've been a user of Basecamp (classic version) for almost 6 years now. I used it at my previous place of employment, and currently use it for my graphic design and photography business. It keeps us on track, maximizes our productivity, and is easy to use. Adding milestones to the calendar is one of the most convenient features for us. It allows us to see at a glance what our workload is like for the day, and who is working on what. I love how Basecamp has a Tick integration feature, which makes creating hourly reports very convenient when billing time comes around. I also like the private message feature on projects. It makes internal communication that client's don't need to see (like quality assurance and proofing checks) really easy. I highly recommend it. I know some of the newer versions of Basecamp have more tech savvy features, but we continue to use Classic due to convenience and personal preference. To be honest, we've been so busy we haven't had time to think about switching to a newer version. It doesn't appear that the calendar feature is a part of the newer Basecamp versions. Due to our large volume of projects, it really helps us to see all in once place what's due for the day with the Basecamp classic calendar feature. I'd love to be able to color code calendar items for one more level of "At a glance" organization.

Pros: It's easy to use, keeps us organized, boosts productivity, and is integrated with our Tick account.

Cons: I'd like color coding features for calendar items so I can better tell at a glance what the status of projects are. I wish the newer versions of basecamp (after classic) incorporated the calendar feature.

• Reviewed on 2/02/2017
Wendy S.
Director of Business Services
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/05/2020

"One good replacement for old fashion email groups"

Comments: I have been using Basecamp for several years. I initially used it as part of a state wide IT group. I'm now also using it for a state wide Transportation Managers group and a state wide group of software users of Therap. The system is light weight and easy to use. I'd definitely still recommend it for people still using things like Yahoo groups.

Pros: Basecamp is very user friendly with a cheerful user interface. If you are looking for a platform for communicating with a large group of people (getting rid of the email list-serv type email groups) then Basecamp is a good choice. There is no cost for this software and it is quick to setup and use. Even if you have end users who struggle with technology.

Cons: There are a lot of products like Basecamp on the market. Many of which include a lot more features. Though I still actively use Basecamp for some of my departments, especially those groups with a lot of people from outside my company, I have started using Microsoft Teams for internal groups. Basecamp would benefit from incorporating a live meeting feature, e.g. Zoom, Skype, etc.

• Reviewed on 8/05/2020