JobBOSS Reviews

• Overall
    3.8 /5
    3.9 /5

About JobBOSS

ECI JobBOSS provides the necessary business software tools you need to keep your shop efficient, productive and profitable.

Learn more about JobBOSS

Brian B.
Operations Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/02/2017

"JobBoss - Simple enough but still lots of horsepower for a smaller job shop"

Comments: I came on board with my employer in October 2014. They had been using JobBoss for over 10 years. With my ERP background, I quickly discovered that my employer wasn't taking advantage of many of the available utilities, including the Scheduling module. Within 3 months I had all 30 of our machining centers, plus all of the secondary resources and operations, set up and testing completed. Routings were stripped back and rebuilt with proper resource requirement setups to ensure proper scheduling of work and proper timing and load representation. Shift and holiday calendars were constructed properly. We turned on Scheduling in February 2015. With the first pass of the global scheduler (running infinite loading and allowing schedules in the past) we came out with a past-due backlog of some 4000 hours. After updating job progress on about 150 jobs, realigning a few things and making some setup tweaks, we realized that we were still over 2000 hours past due. However, we now had the theoretical start and end dates to work with, we could time materials properly, and could graph our loads to see what we were doing to ourselves with our booking practices. Since then, we have improved our utility of the system across the board. Raw material and finished goods inventories are accurate, so we can now use the Material Planning functionality. Raw material issues due to planning are non-existent. PO's for outside processing are now accurately priced, timed, and generated straight from the job routing. Use of Picks, Transfers, and Extra Quantities have given our inventory transactions full transparency. I look forward to Unite 2017 when I can see hands-on what other companies are doing to tap this system's potential!

Pros: Simple navigation, use of Favourites shortcuts, level of complexity is perfect for smaller organizations.

Cons: Would like to be able to access more information directly from the Job (ie from an outside process, be able to access the Purchase Order that is linked to it).

Roy E.
Planning
Plastics, 51-200 Employees

"One of the best"

Comments: I have used JobBoss for the last 6 years and it's great for a shop like ours with custom products. It handles everything from the initial customer quote to turning it into a sales order, defining specific jobs and component jobs all the way through shipping and invoicing. The various processes you might need are logically organized into modules which make performing specific tasks easy. The downside is the occasional lack of communication between the modules requiring you to complete some information multiple times. The only reason I did not give 5 stars across the board is the inability to look at the big picture (all open orders), drill down to the semi-big picture (a specific sales order), and so on down to the minutest detail. If you are looking at any of these areas by itself JobBoss is a great tool that does a terrific job at helping you manage a project; it could use a little tweaking to help you really manage multiple projects with ease.

Pros: The level of detail available about any project, material requirements for the project, routing steps, and tracking of progress.
A complete system available to manage every aspect of the shop from scheduling of employees and jobs, payroll, materials, and more.
XML support to allow you to use external programs to exchange data with JobBoss.

Cons: Inability to really drill down from a broad overview of projects in the shop down to specific details of a single job.
Customer support for using XML extremely limited. Poor documentation on using it.
Does not allow you to require completion of a routing step before beginning the next. Ability to track progress is 100% dependent upon employees logging into a job and recording their progress without any enforcement policy within the program.

Customer Service, Contact Center, Sales and Leadership Consultant
Machinery, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/01/2019

"Turned my shop around"

Comments: Cannot live without it now.

Pros: Loaded with features. Took my manually operated shop to the next level and then some. We cannot live without it now. Custom applications available that make it even better. I can watch and control my shop from anywhere!

Cons: setup was tiresome and takes a good bit of learning.

• Reviewed on 2/01/2019
Chris G.
Mining & Metals
    4.5 /5
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2015

"Limited functionality"

Pros: Pretty easy to learn. Support staff are nice and helpful and they always walk me through anything I've mucked up. The program is easy to use, it's not real complicated, more user friendly then some packages out there.

Cons: Limited functionality. I came from an Oracle (manufacturing) background and I find getting the information I need out of JobBoss is very frustrating. I wasn't expecting anything close to what I had before but some items seem like they should just be common sense. You cannot run a backlog with rev's for the parts, unless you pay extra. I do accounting as well as customer support and I find it very difficult to pull the information I need in one report so I have to cut and paste. Plus exporting in to Excel the formatting is not great. I have to reformat everything. Lastly, to had an extra person to the users (extra license/seat) is crazy expensive. Almost twice the amount of the maintenance agreement. And if you upgrade, they do everything remotely so you have to do all the stuff on your end - and of course everything you want or need as a cost. On the plus side, the program is pretty easy to learn and navigate. The customer support staff are pleasant and for a small company - I guess the value is okay. It was already here when I came so I don't have much to compare it to. I do know we are not using the functionality the way we should and I wish I could find a consultant locally that could just come sit with me for a couple of hours. Trying to do stuff over the phone or email is time consuming and inefficient and I don't want to pay the cost of flying someone here only to be told I have to pay extra for everything.

• Reviewed on 15/05/2015
Jonathan R.
Engineer

"Good for the price"

Comments: Job Boss is a comprehensive package for resource management, from receiving raw materials to scheduling jobs and shipping orders. Integration with 3rd party quality management systems is good. Custom report writing for Job Boss is a must, but thankfully Exact employs a very knowledgeable consultation team to help. The software contains some bugs and is missing some features, but support is always on top completing support requests and explaining how to use modules. We've only implemented 75% of Job Boss (Sales, Purchasing, Accounting, and Shipping), but we are excited to start running Job's in the middle of 2017 and fully realize this software's full potential.

Pros: Comprehensive ERP system includes modules and features for all aspects of Production, Sales and Purchasing.
Helpful support staff is always willing to spend the time necessary to answer questions.
Good integration with Unipoint Quality Management Software.
Flexible reports easily modified by Crystal Reports.
Frequent Updates, we are excited to see what Exact brings in the years to come.

Cons: No support for maintaining multiple revisions for parts with the same material names.
Job Boss cannot track Materials Lots to Packlists for Sales Orders with multiple Lots and multiple Packlists.
Data Entry is inconsistent among various modules, search screens and report filters.
Purchasing Module is clunky. Revision tracking sometimes prevents the user from saving work.

Alexandra W.
Process Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2/01/2018

"Jobboss has been a great tool in improving our production management."

Comments: We've spent the time to setup each module in Jobboss to ensure we can run our shop as efficiently as possible. It's really saved us a lot of headaches and ultimately helped with job costing.

Pros: If the time is taken to setup each module that suits your company there are so many benefits to using Jobboss.
The live data that can be collected from production. This helps with inventory, shop efficiency, job costing, management, documentation etc..
Another great aspect is the Shop Alerts feature which allows you to setup triggers in the system via email, text, & Jobboss' messaging system. Our system is setup to send an email whenever a pack slip is made, this helps manage our shipping department. We also have an alert to email whenever there is an excess amount of scrap for a job. These are just a few examples of the alerts we have setup in our system.
There are so many aspects of Jobboss that ultimately help with managing production control.

Cons: Majority of Jobboss' cons are minor.
I had to "clear" out most of the garbage that was saved in Jobboss prior to processing each module out. If there is any activity against a material or operation you cannot simply delete it. You have to go through and delete each transaction against that material or operation, or obsolete it using the Find & Replace utility. If you set your system up right from the start this will not be an issue for you.
There are certain default settings in Jobboss that cannot be changed. One example is the shape under Raw material; there are only 19 default shapes that can be chosen.
There will always be minor cons that you will run into when setting up a system for your business.

• Reviewed on 2/01/2018
Allison G.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Software that takes user feedback into consideration? Who knew?!"

Comments: I've used JobBoss for almost 11 years at a small machine shop that specializes in aerospace work. I've seen the software grow and change with updated revisions, each one more useful than the next. That's not to say the program has not been useful in the past - as the industry grows and changes, it's obvious that the company takes user feedback into consideration when improving the software.
The software is easy to use, and technical instructions (such as those for installation) and clear and thorough. Tech support is always knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros: It's perfectly geared to manufacturers. There are many ways to customize features and use what works for you - and don't use what doesn't work for you.

Cons: I'm not a terribly huge fan on Crystal (one of the options for reports).

Christopher E.
VP Engineering
  • Reviewed on 24/02/2017

"Like a fine wine, better with age!"

Comments: Exact customer support is outstanding. They are very helpful to support their product. We have found out that custom reporting has become second nature for the traceability and functions we need to support the aerospace industry. Full implementation has taken longer than we expected, but it appears that is the norm with all software packages.

Pros: JobBoss support listens to your complaints. Some become enhancements, and they are addressed in future releases.Most modules are user friendly. JobBoss works well with Unipoint.

Cons: Revision changes to part numbers, JobBoss does not support revision changes very well at all. Tracking material lots is a challenge as well. Revision history control in purchases order is not supported well.
Would like sales orders to support one line item with multiple releases.

Ryan I.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Job boss helping to control the shop."

Comments: Fine tuning the product and adding in more in-depth information has allowed us to bring our company to a new level seeing issues before they happen.

Pros: Tractability on just about everything. Efficiencies, Material Planning

Cons: Vacations can not be entered in Job Boss ahead of time otherwise, overtime is paid out. Not being able to do this make scheduling less accrete. Quoting is not accrete in the system. Unipoint does not give PPM. Knowledge sync and Unipoint are a separate program. For my shift, I have 2 paid breaks. How do I pay my employees for this but have the time taken out of the job they are clocked into?

Brett B.
Quality Systems Manager
Aviation & Aerospace, 51-200 Employees

"CMF JobBoss Review"

Comments: We love using JobBoss as our MRP software that pretty much maintains and produce all production going through our facility. The tools are excellent and easy to use. We know there is plenty more that we could still take advantage of using JobBoss, so many options to explore to improve efficiency and overall processes of our business.
All in all, a great software and would recommend to any manufacturing company.

Pros: Ease of use, detailed modules.

Cons: So much to learn, not necessarily a bad thing, but would have definitely done the initial start up differently to ensure we didn't miss any valuable information to set up our processes a certain way.

Joann P.
President / Owner
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees

"JobBoss Review"

Comments: We are pleased with JobBoss and have been using it for nearly 20 years.

Pros: There are many sources of measurement with in this product for our daily, weekly, monthly and yearly measurables. Once you learn your way around JobBoss it is fairly simple to use.

Cons: There are some little glitchy type issues. If you don't do some things exact there are issues. For some issues the help information provided isn't always clear or enough for me.

Jacob M.
Vice President

"User friendly software"

Comments: I have been on JobBOSS for over 10 years now and am happy with our decision to go with them. After spending a considerable amount of time comparing other software options, I felt JobBOSS offered the most user-friendly interface while at the same time giving me the functionality and reports I need most.

Pros: user friendly interface.

Cons: some functions are not explained well on how they work like costing, but once you know it makes sense.

Alissa N.
Controller
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2018

"No Fixed Asset Module"

Comments: Good for accounting and financial data storage.

Pros: I like that Job Boss is easy to use. It's fairly user friendly and has good reporting capabilities.

Cons: The costing in Job Boss is sometimes hard to track. It hits different reports at different times so they don't line up when logically they should. Also, there is not a fixed asset module available - at all.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2018
Susan P.
Director of Business Development
Plastics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Very easy to use software - good process flow"

Pros: All areas of the shop are integrated. Very easy to train new hires on the software, and customer service and technical support and very good.

Cons: The software is a little expensive so if you are a new shop you may not be able to purchase it right away for a start up. But you can buy license as you need so you don't waist money on seats you don't need

Jonathan T.
Payroll Analyst
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2018

"Made our job easy"

Pros: JobBoss is really a boss for helping organizations in monitoring progress of every transactions done, whether for delivery, inventory, payroll this really made our work easy.

Cons: it is quite hard to navigate, plus it doesn't get the changes easily. but so far its manageable though.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2018
Brian P.
Office Manager/Accountant
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2018

"Job Shop software"

Comments: Basic customer support is excellent but they charge for higher end consulting

Pros: The multiple functions that it has. The different modules. The integration with quoting, costing, and accounting.

Cons: The Complication of knowing where costs are coming from. The flow of the numbers. The cost for additional services.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Kristen J.
Quality Director

"Satisfied Customer"

Comments: Product works great. Customer service is extremely helpful. Workshops and classes are great resources.

Pros: Easy to customize routing documents.

Cons: Lacks customization options for shipping documents and design of forms/output. The yearly fee is high. Updates are costly. Quality software should be included in the price.

John D.

"Drill down"

Comments: My company has been a JobBOSS user since 2002.

Cons: Cannot drill down to PO'S, pack lists, quotes from a job entry. Currently, the quote, pack list or quotes modules must be open separately to search for information that should be accessed directly from a job. I consider this a major shortcoming with JobBOSS.

Terry C.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"We have been using Jobboss for over 18 years and it manages our job shop great."

Pros: Great functions. Customer support is knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. Most of the business can be managed with this software.

Cons: We had a hard time with material at first, but after taking online classes we can now control our inventory.

Matt B.
System Administrator
Mining & Metals, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2017

"Overall impression"

Pros: -integrates well with other software we use
-feature rich with many different options
-changes can be made fairly easy

Cons: -we get many different errors very regularly
-can't kick users off individually
-doesn't recognize changes very quickly

• Reviewed on 22/08/2017
Susan L.
ADMININSTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Mining & Metals, 2-10 Employees

"It gets the job done."

Comments: It does not make sense to have the packing list & invoice information print out differently. The PO#, PART#, and Packing list# are important information on an invoice and should be easy to find and located in the first few lines of the Invoice, not hard to find and in the lower/middle invoice area. Also, the customer's PO# should be easier to find on the packing list -again, not located towards the bottom.

Pros: It tracks information for each job so you don't have to enter it yourself, which saves time and money.

Cons: The way the invoice and packing list information are not located in the same places when they are printed. This makes them harder to match up for us and our customers. For example, PO# and PART#.

Rino M.

"Good product"

Comments: Jobboss has been an asset for us even though there are a number of small improvements that would make the system customized specific for our operation.
it's fairly easy to use and helps our productivity on a daily basis.

Pros: Very stable program

Cons: Not able to customize as would like.

Jae C.
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2020

"Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!"

Comments: There are no benefits to this software that could not have been realized in other ways.

Pros: This definitely seemed like it would be an excellent ERP resource to track from quote, to order, to production, to shipping, to billing. It is NOT.

Cons: UI is not intuitive, search functions are confusing at best, many "modules" that you may or may not need, and poor training to discern which would be best for your company; implementation for businesses who already use an inventory tracking system is cumbersome; limited editability of databases once created; customer service is abysmal, high turnover of employees/contacts, shady billing practices, poor training opportunities, cloud services outsourced, support is drastically lacking for both the software and the cloud storage, capabilities misrepresented by sales team, unethical behaviour.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2020
Michael W.
Systems Administrator
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"JobBoss is not user-friendly. Way too many errors and long response times. Customer support is a joke. The 12.0 update adds blue to the interface, nothing more."

Pros: I like how JobBoss has features to better coordinate within your business and how to more efficiently run things. This is the main reason why we bought it.

Cons: Contrary to popular belief, JobBoss is horrible quality for what we put into it. Our company has put thousands of dollars into this Software and even bought several of the utilities. Firstly, the CAD BOM Import Utility has a character limit for multiple level jobs. We build big machines and thus require a lot of Assemblies and Sub-Assemblies. After importing the BOM from Solidworks and trying to upload it to a job, the only way to do so is to create new jobs for each Sub-Assembly which do not link to the Parent Job. In addition to this problem, we constantly get connection issues and incredibly long response times when entering multiple line items on Purchase Orders, Sales Orders, Materials on a Job, etc. Customer "Joke" Support has been contacted several times regarding this and they never seem to come up with a solution on 99% of all issues. They respond to customer requests in a completely untimely manner. This company is not customer-friendly and very well may never be. God knows how they even got bought out by someone else. One of the worlds mysteries that I will never know the answer to.

Jerry C.
General Manager/Owner
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"We have been using JobBoss since 1993 for one simple reason, " It Works "."

Comments: Choosing an ERP software is a tough decision and can take a lot of time, talk to JobBoss users because they will make the decision much easier.

Pros: All modules are fully integrated which makes it very simple to get accurate and valuable information for running your business.

Cons: JBW inventory related to sheet and plate products is a challenge and in all honesty doesn't work in the real world of job shops.