QuickBooks Point of Sale Reviews

• Overall
    3.9 /5
    3.9 /5
    3.5 /5

About QuickBooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks Point of Sale is an all-in-one solution with the software, hardware and payment service you need to sell online and in-store

Learn more about QuickBooks Point of Sale

Showing 25 reviews of 157

Tanya C.
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"Best for retail not service"

Comments: For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros: For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons: We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2020
Store Manager
  • Reviewed on 4/09/2018

"QB Point of Sale Review"

Comments: DIdn't require to be online as some other versions of a POS system do require. This is a nice feature as it is a pay one time not monthly.

Pros: Easy to adapt has two different screen settings that make it easy depending on your type of retail business that allows it easy to understand. If you are not a computer expert you can still feel smart using the POS software.

Cons: Price and if you do need to call for help, since it is a QB product support time is usually longer than you want. The support call time can be a problem if you have an issue with the POS system during normal operational hours.

• Reviewed on 4/09/2018
Kevin M.
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"Gotta Love It"

Comments: QB Pos has really helped give us control over our retail operations. Couldn't live without now.

Pros: This software is full-featured and really does a great job of keeping track of everything going on in your store. From inventory to sales, the information is there and easy to access.

Cons: It can be a little tough to get information out in the form I want. Overall the reporting is great but I sometimes like to look at details that are cumbersome to get to.

by Intuit on 21/10/2019

Hi, Kevin. Knowing how helpful the product has been to keep up with your data makes our day. You can continue to count on us to have your back for years to come! To learn more about customizing reports, we recommend checking out this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382

Cheering you to continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Jawed K.
Chief Accountant
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2017

"For Small & Medium size organisation, its my best experience to opt Quickbooks POS ."

Pros: Power full integration in all aspect like if you want to search in any info you have, name of product, UPC, Alternate lookup, serial number, department name, item description, attribute, vender name, mean all possible link are integrated for better search.
Add product, customer, vender, department, are very easy as 123. i.e., if you are adding any new product in this process you can add vender, department, in a single click like just put the name of your required field.
You can add/ modify inventory, vender, department, UPC, and other all information through a single excel sheet.
User friendly add all hardwear tool like barcode scanner, printers, cash draw, touch monitor, tag label printer, through an inbuilt workstation.
The reports area is also well organized, which type of report you wants in any way like product, department, vender, customer, best or worst, vise etc is no more problem in quickbook pos.

Cons: price is little bit higher than others.
in my opinion and my experience there is no any other problem in quickbook pos.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2017
Sandra M.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/05/2018

"Quickbooks POS has been helpful for organizing my small business"

Pros: This product has allowed me to be more organized with my small business. I am able to keep track of my customers and the orders that they place. Also, my inventory is neatly organized and allows me to see exactly what items I have in stock and what items I need to order. I particularly like the "quick find" search option which I can use to quickly search for a specific item/client/or receipt. This option also searches through item descriptions which allows me to find exactly what I'm looking for with a few keywords. By far though, I really like how well and organized my previous sales are presented to me. I am able to see how my business is doing through various methods such as a pie chart or a graph, and using my own parameters to analyze my sales.

Cons: It does take a bit of a learning curve to fully grasp all that this POS system has to offer. It does have a tutorial and video guide to walk you step by step through all the features but you need to dedicate quite a bit of time just to learn everything. There are a lot options and a lot of ways to do each part of the POS system such as "make a sale", so it can take a while to figure out which method works best for you. Once you have learned everything, it takes a bit of practice in order to be able to do a function quickly enough to not keep clients waiting.

• Reviewed on 7/05/2018
Shelby L.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2017

"I feel like less competent than a monkey in a space rocket with this tool - NEED TRAINING!!"

Pros: It seems that the ability to really do ANYthing with the software is there, yet without the proper time and training one can use it only to about 10% of its potential. That said, the 10% is better than the old cash register and this has been a very useful tool for getting our business's inventory managed and sales organized.

Cons: This is an incredibly complex system that ought to come along with intensive (and free of cost) training. This is not an intuitive software and there are just so many ins and outs and ups and downs that I learn something new everytime I poke around a bit and think: "shoot, I wish I would have known about that three years ago when I got this thing!!!"

• Reviewed on 10/11/2017
Sharni V.
Retail
    4.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 9/08/2016

"Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade"

Pros: Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it. It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons: I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo? It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS. If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout. Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information. I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

• Reviewed on 9/08/2016
Michelle P.
Retail
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2016

"We have used QB POS Multi store for a couple years."

Pros: Ease of ringing up customers. It's very simple to start ringing people up. We didn't have to train our staff more than a couple minutes.

Cons: 1. Tech support is horrible. There is a reason this is number one!!!!!!
2. If you have more than one computer at a location there are issues if you don't have a wired internet which brought us down for hours and hours and hours over weeks without anyone diagnosing this to be the issue. Customer service just kept logging in and changing the IP address without explaining what they were doing. I finally got a good tech support person that helped me figure it out and how to fix it on my own. (Do NOT use wireless internet. You MUST use hard wire to computer.)
3. We have inventory items that keep reappearing after deleting them. We then tried to merge them and they still keep reappearing. Tech support couldn't remove them either. This really messes up our reports.
4. We had a day that at the end of the day QB restarted and lost ALL the transactions for the day. We were never able to get the information back and it also took a weeks worth of transactions with it. Tech support never retrieved the information nor could explain what happened.
5. There is only 2 levels of departments. You have a "work around" for this by allowing you to customize a field, but you have to write the department name in each time. If you forget the exact word you used such as "snack" instead of "snacks" it won't run adequate reports. I can't imagine many places that don't need more departments. For example, I have "Tours" and "Merchandise" as my main departments. I want to have "Snacks" "Apparel" and even further under snacks I'd like to have "Cookies" "Chips", etc.
6. Sending and receiving files from Intuit server does not always go through. This would be ok if there were an error message, but there isn't. It just didn't send. The only way to be sure this didn't happen when running a report on headquarters is to check to see if there is information each day. I have more than one location so this is tedious. If I find a day that is missing I have to have the staff manually go in and resend data.
7. I'm sure I have MUCH more, but that was the ones I could think of off the top of my head and QB POS has taken up enough of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can find a better solution I would before you could blink your eyes. I am constantly looking and shopping around.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2016
Performing Singer-Songwriter
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2018

"Functional not pretty, gets the job done"

Comments: Overall gets the job done.

Pros: Has customization - we have a quick pick category for most commonly bought items.
Has useful features like reports, storing customer info, purchase orders.

Cons: It isn't very user friendly - have to x out of windows to get back to selling. User interface is ugly and in general a bit clunky. Could be user error... but nothing seems to scan once entered.

by Intuit on 13/08/2018

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us your honest review. While I'm glad the customization options have lent a lot to the functionality you enjoy, I want to make sure you can easily navigate the software. The Resource Center is a awesome outlet in that aspect, and there's one made for POS at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. You'll find a ton of tutorial and guided videos there, as well as advice on the small business and retail fundamentals.

The info above will help streamline your workflow, but I want to make your voice is heard when it comes to your suggestions about the interface. We love hearing how we can improve, as the engineers default to customer ideas when drumming up new features.

Could you send me your feedback in an email ([email protected])? I can forward your comments to the Development Team. This way, I can also take a look at the issue you've had with scanning and provide a fix one-on-one.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 11/08/2018
Nate F.
Systems Administrator
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Solid product for the small shop, don't expect it to grow with you."

Comments: This is a great way to go from no point of sale to a solid tool that will serve the small shop.
There is very little in the way of customization, or integration that can be done with this product, don't expect to use it with other software easily.

Pros: Reporting features are excellent
At-register experience is good
Integration with Quickbooks is seamless

Cons: Integration with outside software such as e-commerce is poor
Gift card options are unnecessarily limited, frustrating, and expensive
Customer support leaves a lot to be desired

• Reviewed on 16/08/2017
Lisa D.
  • Reviewed on 14/04/2017

"Once the only game in town"

Comments: Once, one of the only games in POS. town, Intuit now has robust competition. We are seriously looking into a cloud based alternative for our store. Having said that, I will say that my most recent call to customer service was one of the best I have ever had. Maybe they are feeling some heat from the competition.

Pros: Very versatile, perhaps to a fault at times. Quite easy to learn at least initially. Integration with QuickBooks.

Cons: UI needs a serious updating. Many fine features on the software are not immediately apparent or easily accessible. This is at least partly due to the somewhat outdated and clumsy interface. We have had the desktop based version of this POS since 2003 and have had a tenuous and oftentimes rocky relationship with customer service and support. Intuit is such an enormous company that one feels like an unimportant cog in the wheel when trying to fix a problem.

• Reviewed on 14/04/2017
Jennifer C.
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2018

"Great software for our business needs."

Pros: It is a great software tools to not only track our business finances, but also our customers, vendors, and employees easily on 1 site.

Cons: Only 1 user can work the program at a time and then the file must be backed up each time for another use to log in. We tried the online version and did not like it so when we went back to the desktop program 5 months later, we had to back track months of data.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2018
Patrick G.
IT Technician
  • Reviewed on 4/07/2018

"Quickbooks POS customer support is spectacular."

Comments: Overall the software is great! The customer service makes up for the lack of explaining certain things during installation. A service rep spent hours on the phone helping repair the problem. She was wonderful. The absolute best customer service I've ever used!

Pros: Customer support from Quickbooks POS is by far my favorite thing about this software! Very helpful.

Cons: Functionality of this product was a bit hard to work out. Especially in the install process when installing Quickbooks POS Server. Explaining the server and client sides of the software better during installation process would.

• Reviewed on 4/07/2018
Ken B.
  • Reviewed on 27/12/2018

"Has Some Nice Features, But Too Many Glitches"

Comments: Support is awful.

Pros: The reports are spot on and a great time saver.

Cons: I was not given a heads up that you have use Intuit's credit card services. Intuit is much higher than many other credit card providers.
Also for the first 6 months I owned this program on occasion the software would malfunction and charge the last customer for the new customer's order.

• Reviewed on 27/12/2018
Kevin H.
Owner / Operator
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2019

"Robust but very clunky"

Comments: QuickBooks POS was our original product for inventory and sales in our retail store. While it is robust and simplifies many aspects of accounting, the overall feel and look were just not conducive to everyday business operations.

Pros: The integration between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks itself is, as one should expect, outstanding! Both programs work exceptionally well together and make accounting very streamlined.

Cons: The user interface is very "clunky," meaning that it is sometimes difficult to navigate. For newer users, the visual presentation is overwhelming and has a rather uncomfortable feel to it.

by Intuit on 1/10/2019

Hi there, Kevin. Thank you for sharing your review with us. It's awesome to know integrating the Point of Sale system with QuickBooks has been simple and helpful. You can rest easy knowing all of your data is organized in one space. We want to make sure you have the resources you need to easily navigate your account. The Community is a great place to start. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and advice from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Wishing you continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 27/09/2019
Corey K.
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018

"the product and the service are always dependable!"

Comments: great customer service!

Pros: The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons: I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

• Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Beth K.
Consultant
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/02/2017

"Prepare for lots of frustration, speaking to the continent of India and very little that makes sense"

Comments: I'm a Proadvisor so I know a little. But nothing is helpful; create Custom Forms is a joke. Call India help desk, more time spent on nothing. It takes a lot of time, most spent on really bad documentation, but good once it's done.

Pros: Most small business accounts use QuickBooks

Cons: It's so badly prepared, the service is worthless, the documentation - both online and written, awful, and they make what should be easy, very difficult.

• Reviewed on 1/02/2017
Jessica Z.
office manager
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2017

"East breezy"

Pros: Simple layout and practacal functionality , very simple to use for beginers but has everything an experienced user would want .

Cons: Only thing i would weant to change is to have more custom options , not to many things asaid from thaty i would change

• Reviewed on 29/08/2017
Alexandra C.
Office manager
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2019

"Quickbooks review"

Pros: How organized you can keep everything ie; payroll, invoices, product info, customer info

Cons: The passwords you have to constantly put in to navigate each area of quickbooks can be frustrating at times.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2019
Jevanni L.
System Administrator
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2017

"It will make your work day simpler and more efficient. You should definitely give it a try"

Pros: Quick books allows me to easily search customers and all the information we have on each one. I can find their location, phone number, email address and much more just with a few clicks.

Cons: Price, seems high but for everything it does it was worth it. Saved me from using an accountant and paying someone else to keep my books. I was able to do it all myself.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2017
Alexandra S.
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2018

"Good friendly software!"

Pros: This is best suitable for small companies since it doesn't have much variety but gets the job done. It also has mobile apps which makes everything easier and user friendly.

Cons: We like the software very much, although, what we liked least is the customer support. I had to wait over +10 minutes to just get a hold of somebody, & it happens every time.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2018
Adam M.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2016

"Quickbooks POS Review"

Comments: Quickbooks POS is one of the smoothest operating point of sales I've worked with. Most of my employees have never worked retail before this job and they were able to learn the program quickly and easily. Not only is the retail side of the software great, but the back office modules are all intuitive and make my job as the General Manager much easier. No POS software is perfect for every business, but Quickbooks has done a great job focusing on what most businesses need.

Pros: Very User-Friendly
Both Retail and Back Office Modules are well-designed
Customisable Reporting Options

Cons: Not suitably-equipped for handling serialized inventory
Technical Support is difficult to work with at times

• Reviewed on 16/11/2016
Jeff H.
IT Manager
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/03/2018

"Intuit Quickbooks"

Pros: Very easy use and functional. Clear, simple instructions. Allowed for quick and efficient invoice processing.

Cons: Basic understanding of Finance software helpful. No built-in project feature to allow for tracking.

• Reviewed on 8/03/2018
Amy G.
Bookkeeper
Supermarkets, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2018

"I was able to self teach myself a lot of this"

Comments: More reporting features

Pros: I like that it is a QB product and that it is a company that I am comfortable teaching myself most of the processes using the guess and check method

Cons: I do not the fact that it is directly linked to the accounting software for the fact that if there is a mistake made at the POS it is posted immediately.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2018
Amanda M.
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2019

"Can grow with your company"

Pros: Quickbooks has allowed me to balance my books and keep track of payments with my side business. I no longer have to worry about things falling through the cracks. The customer service is excellent, but hardly even needed as the software is so easy to use.

Cons: Sometimes the shortcuts are not obvious, so I end up entering wrong numbers in wrong places. It is a little too quick for me.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2019