CosmoLex Reviews

• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.8 /5

About CosmoLex

CosmoLex is the only cloud-based, total practice management, billing, and accounting system (no QuickBooks® required).

Learn more about CosmoLex

Eric D.
Senior Law Clerk and Office Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2020

"Practice Management and Accounting in One"

Comments: One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

Pros: The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

Cons: They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2020
Ed E.
Lawyer
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2021

"Essential"

Comments: Again, it's essential to my practice, and the built-in accounting is fantastic.

Pros: I was reluctant to subscribe to a practice management solution, but now can't envision getting along without it. It has everything I need from time tracking to accounting right at my fingertips.

Cons: I occasionally run into accounting difficulties in terms of writing off charges or editing past transactions, but I'm not sure that's a drawback of CosmoLex as much as it is my ignorance of accounting best practices.

• Reviewed on 25/02/2021
Janet N.
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2020

"Cosmolex is very helpful for trust accounting"

Pros: Trust accounting is much easier with this software

Cons: The dashboard is not that helpful as I use it mostly for trust accounting and not billing

• Reviewed on 23/12/2020
Joshua D.

"Great for Small Firms"

Comments: Very satisfied.

Pros: Comprehensive client management, including accounting.

Cons: Sometimes a little hard to use some of the features, but they are always listening to feature requests.

Tony T.
Managing Attorney

"CosmoLex Review"

Comments: I'm not sure that it's changed anything, since I started out with cloud based services, but it's better than Clio because it doesn't screw up in a major fashion once a quarter or more.

Pros: Stability, integrated accounting, and better support staff. I used Clio for a couple years at my last firm, and I have zero intention of switching back.

Cons: The UI is not exactly intuitive. The search functionality, while robust, is also a bit awkward. Certain things that seem like they might be no-brainer search field options aren't present, and certain items that I would expect to be heavily used by most users aren't as quickly and easily accessed as I would like (for example - the calendar, in my opinion, deserves its own direct access sidebar button).

Alyssa L.
Rule 6 Law Clerk
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients..."

Comments: Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.

Pros: The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

Cons: Old client invoices, there needs to be a way to unlock invoices to allow payment on outstanding debt. I've contacted customer service and we had a backdoor way of doing it but the newest update to CL has erased that ability. So now old clients who have no active charges are inconvenienced and must come into the office to pay. Would love to see more functions for old accounts!

by CosmoLex on 13/11/2017

Hi Alyssa. Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure I understand the issue you are having. Bills become locked for edits once a payment is received (which can be lifted), but future payments can still be applied, as long as there is a balance. You can resend old, open invoices which have a balance and then apply a payment to those whether by retainer, check or credit card. It does not matter how old they are. If there is something I am missing, or you have additional information which can assist, please email [email protected] and we will be happy to look into this further.

• Reviewed on 26/10/2017
Nicholas W.
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2019

"CosmoLex staff know law and also know accounting."

Pros: We simply have not found anything else that integrates true accounting with timekeeping and related legal process workflow. Everything else we've used (I could make a list) fell short in terms of features or else required integration among multiple platforms (at a higher cost).

Cons: There is a bug in the reporting of accounts receivable that is causing us problems. We are eager to see that fixed. CosmoLex does not seem to have an internationally focused law practice in mind. We work with clients in 70 countries, in multiple currencies. We struggle a bit to make that work well--there are some hiccups.
Most other issues arise because our knowledge of accounting is poor, so we want to do things that should not be done (from an accounting perspective) or we don't know how to do them. Response time on our requests for help is sometimes slow. Our requests for additional features have not happened.

Karen M.
Attorney At Law
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2017

"I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks"

Comments: I decided to hang up my own shingle, so I needed software to handle the management of my office, especially since it was going to be just me by myself to start out.

Pros: I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks to handle the money management aspect. Nothing against Quickbooks, but I don't have experience using it, and being a solo practitioner and needing to maximize the time I have, I appreciated not having to learn Quickbooks. I also think the interface is user-friendly, and I love how everything can be tied back to a matter. I also really like how my bank accounts are linked with CosmoLex, so reconciliation is easy to complete, and I also appreciate how the software works with Casemaker for tracking research for a specific matter. The best thing about CosmoLex, however, is the customer support. Not only are there humans available to help whenever I need assistance, but CosmoLex also provides a fantastic library of videos and FAQs, as well as weekly live training sessions. I don't ever worry that I'll be stuck without any help...they are always quick to respond to any issue I encounter.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2017
Ford J.
  • Reviewed on 3/01/2020

"Legal Billing Done Easy"

Comments: CosmoLex makes our billing and time keeping for our law firm easy! I'm able to input my with ease and work with my staff to make sure every client matter is billed appropriately and timely. I use this software daily and can't imagine switching.

Pros: -Simplicity of Billing
-Wonderful User Interface
-Easy Search options and client intergration

Cons: -Timekeeper allocation and changing from fixed fee to hourly billing can be tricky to change

by CosmoLex on 12/02/2020

Thanks for your feedback, Ford!

• Reviewed on 3/01/2020
Anissa P.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 29/03/2019

"Cosmolex is truly an all in one billing program."

Comments: I have used many legal billing programs over the past two decades and Cosmolex has been my favorite program to use out of them all.

Pros: I also appreciate how many new features have been added since we started using the program. Being able to access it from anywhere is also a big deal!

Cons: I have yet to find any flaw in using the Cosmolex billing software.

Susan F.
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"I started my own firm...and had to implement an accounting system."

Comments: I started my own firm in January and had to implement an accounting system.

Pros: I am happy with the customer support. They call me back ASAP and fix the issues.
The invoices can be customized as so many of the clients have very specific billing requirements.

Cons: Software to manage payroll , as I use a different service for for payroll tax and employee escrow and direct payment of employee. It would be great to integrate as I have to enter the payroll payments directly into the accounting program.

by CosmoLex on 30/10/2017

Hi Susan. Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. We have payroll integrations coming soon, so keep an eye out. That will allow you to use a service to process the payroll, and then those entries will be made on your GL in CosmoLex for you.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2017
Crystal B.
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Office runs much more smoother."

Pros: Ability to do book keeping as well as client files.

Cons: Unable to bill same client emails all at once.

by CosmoLex on 30/07/2019

Thank you for your review, Crystal! We're happy to hear that CosmoLex has helped you run a more efficient office. If you have any questions regarding our platform, please reach out to our Support Team at (732) 595-9015 (US), (365) 804-0050 (CA).

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Sara F.
Legal Assistant
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2017

"Cosmolex's user interfaces make our accounting much more accurate."

Comments: We have previously used some SQL based accounting software, but Cosmolex's user interfaces make our accounting much more accurate.

Pros: I like cosmolex's support, that it has such a broad functionality. I specifically like the way I can integrate entering in an expense and link it to the matter, I like using the TK reports so that I can keep up with calculating 941 Withholdings. Also, just having a system with set rules on how to input data keeps our financial data clean and accurate for auditing.

Cons: I would like to see a how to update a matter's contact email. I was trying to update the email to which we sent Invoices yesterday, and I could see the matter's associated email on the dashboard, but could not seem to locate a how to article in the knowledge base. I also would like to separate out invoices not only by fees and expenses, but also separate each category by TK and not just chronologically.

• Reviewed on 18/01/2017
Lindsay S.
Owner/Attorney
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2017

"Meets My Goals for Practice Mgmt and Fabulous Customer Service!"

Pros: The customer service is top notch! They are quick and it is always a live person. Customer support representative is the one who always helps me. I call because I know he can always figure it out.
I love having accounting and billing in the same software. I spent hours researching a software for my law firm and I went with CosmoLex for customer service, cost, cloud platform, and features. I am glad I did.

Cons: I just wish it had document merge and template capabilities, but they are happy to take requests and suggestions. They are always rolling out new features and updates.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2017
Susan Z.
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2016

"Cosmolex legal practice management software has increased profit margins"

Comments: Cosmolex does it all! Using Cosmolex has enabled our small law firm to enter time and billing on the fly, keep track of appointments, stay on task and balance the accounts -- no missed billable opportunities by either attorney or assistant, and it has dramatically increased our profit margins. The accounting features are invaluable, especially for trust accounting, and the dashboard features gives you an up to the minute overall firm snapshot. Customer support is fantastic and they offer on demand training and webinars, which are very helpful!. AND, the best part is it is AFFORDABLE!!!!

Pros: Time and Billing and Accounting

Cons: The dashboard itself is a snapshot and not interactive

• Reviewed on 13/10/2016
Terra V.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"The efficiency of the program saves time everyday."

Pros: Having used other programs that have limited functionality, CosmoLex is a pleasure to work with. It is a very comprehensive program that allows you to have one program to achieve your Practice Management tasks. I also appreciate the customer service provided my CosmoLex.

Cons: I have found that each and every issue that I have come across has been resolved in an efficient and courteous way.

by CosmoLex on 12/02/2020

Thanks for your feedback, Terra! We're happy to hear you're enjoying the benefits of working with a total solution and that you've found our customer support to be prompt and effective.

Adolfo M.
Lawyer
  • Reviewed on 29/03/2019

"It has been a pleasant experience being a Cosmolex client, in particular when I need to talk to a re"

Comments: Rep is my contact person and her always pick-up my calls or return them within a reasonable time. If she may not help me, she always refers me to someone at Cosmolex who may help me.

Pros: Easy to work with; otherwise, help videos and frequent asked questions at the tip of your fingers do the trick in most of the cases.

Cons: There is still a lot of room to improve the e-mails workflow and control.

Danny H.
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2019

"Overall I am very satisfied."

Pros: It is Easy to use and has logical organization.

Cons: Certain features are very difficult to correct mistakes in, and the existing videos and articles are not helpful to me in resolving.

• Reviewed on 26/04/2019
Lenna M.
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2019

"It makes my day to day much simpler."

Pros: The interface is very user friendly and the customer support is beyond any other offered for this type of software.

Cons: I feel there should be a better report to show my client's statement of account

by CosmoLex on 8/07/2019

Thank you for your review! Your honest feedback is very much appreciated and we're pleased to hear how CosmoLex has improved your day-to-day activity.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Sue B.
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2019

"First Year with Cosmolex"

Comments: Overall experience with your system is very good, any issues that we have had have been dealt with very quickly. Good follow up service from your customer service staff.

Pros: It takes care of the file management and is mostly user friendly. Your customer service department is very helpful and take the stress away from issues quickly.

Cons: If an invoice needs changes or additions once it is saved it is difficult to change and too time consuming with many steps to go through to be able to make those changes.

Kristina M.
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"Cosmolex is so easy!"

Pros: There is not a thing I do not like about this software! So easy to use and really user friendly!

Cons: The only thing that could be different is when I select "Active" in the Matter tab and every search I have to re-select it again. I wish it would stay on the selection I choose until I choose something different.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Casey C.
Front Desk Admin
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2019

"Pretty Great Softwear"

Comments: I really just enjoy the program.

Pros: It is easy to use (user friendly) and easy to navigate. Pretty self explanatory and if you need help, that is easy to find as well. Its not dull, I enjoy the color scheme.

Cons: Nothing to not like. I would not change anything about the product at all.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2019
Jenny Q.
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Great Software!"

Pros: Ease of use, accounting, user interface, menu setup

Cons: Slow loading time, defaults (on user time entry)

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Kristin H.
Attorney/Partner
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2019

"Cosmolex has been absolutely fantastic"

Pros: We wanted an all-in-one billing software system

Cons: I can't think of anything specific at this time

Baend B.
Attorney/Owner
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2019

"CosmoLex does everything I need it to and then some."

Pros: I don’t need additional accounting software, and that saves me money and time.

Cons: I would still like a report that breaks down, by client, the expenses incurred monthly, and shows a monthly total of expenses. It would speed up month end by showing me what is income that is taxed and paid out, and what is expenses that is applied to neither.

by CosmoLex on 12/08/2019

Hi Baend, thank you for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback.