• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Smart, visual inventory software for scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Xero, QuickBooks, Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Zapier

Learn more about Katana

Showing 25 reviews of 84

Founder and CEO
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/09/2019

"I dont understand all the great reviews"

Pros: The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons: This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

by Katana MRP on 30/09/2019

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

• Reviewed on 5/09/2019
Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2020

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 31/12/2020
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/02/2020

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 13/02/2020

• Reviewed on 9/02/2020
Jeff H.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2020

"Most Intuitive MRP Ever"

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros: I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons: It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for the review!

• Reviewed on 18/12/2020
Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
David B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Katana for manufacturing"

Comments: Lots of potential Katana, it a emerging system sure it doesn't have the xero integration in play atm but like my own business Katana is also growing so I like that I have partner with a operating system that going through similar growing pains as we are. if you have a manufacturing process you wish to have better control of I recommend exploring this system.

Pros: I have been operating my business using excel, xero, monday.com and email. After searching for a system that could centralise my focus I came across Katana which in essence consolidates all the previous mentioned systems into one interface which saves me a tonne of time. secondly the customer support, I have had a lengthy skype call with Hannes who is a founder of Katana where by he provided a demo session of how the software will be suitable for my business needs. I really valued to the bespoke service which ensured I got off to the right start.

Cons: The intergration to Xero is in development but this has been the most noteable con to date, that said Katana is working on this and it should be available shortly

by Katana MRP on 14/11/2019

Thank you David for sharing your experience we are happy to grow with you!

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Alexander A.
Head of Technology & Logistics
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/09/2019

"Perfect choice for small manufacturing company"

Comments: We are a starting up printing company which has been looking for a fast learning curve solution to manage our manufacturing and supply chain data. Katana turned out to be a perfect match for us.

Pros: + Simplicity. Probably most intuitive specialized software I've used.
+ Price structure. Very affordable for us.
+ Customer support.

Cons: - Lack of some "nice to have features". But, it's another side of simplicity and affordability, right?

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Alejandro R.
  • Reviewed on 9/10/2019

"The software we've been searching for!"

Comments: Katana makes it easy to take our manufacturing to a new level by adding structure that will end up saving time and ultimately saving money.

Pros: Easy to use, flows and clear path to implementation.

Cons: Would like to see Multi-languages and currency options.

by Katana MRP on 10/10/2019

• Reviewed on 9/10/2019
Robert D.
Managing Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees

"Easy To Use"

Comments: Before Katana we had our inventory and orders etc in different spreadsheets and systems. we where always miscalculating what stock we had and had to double and some times triple entry on all. we discovered Katana and now its all in the one system that is easy to use.

Pros: it is very simple to use and helpful to have all the information in the one spot

Cons: i cannot think of anything that i did not like

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for the feedback and kind words!

Robert M.
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2020

"Katana"

Comments: Workflow was a problem for us as was keeping track of raw materials - Katana solved both of these on day one!

Pros: The ease of setup to a non-ERP user was great and support team always willing to help

Cons: Minor enhancements like customising documents produced and report Paramus/filters neon saved

by Katana MRP on 23/01/2020

• Reviewed on 22/01/2020
Paolo R.
Operations Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees

"Break through"

Comments: Initially had bumps when I was setting it up, but overall once you immerse yourself within the software. It's relatively easy to use and I thank all the customer service representative that extended their help to me.

Pros: The software is fairly easier to use as compared to other providers. It's pretty straight forward and the booking system gives us an immediate glimpse of our current production status. Customer service is also excellent!

Cons: The company behind Katana is relatively new, so there are still a lot more features that they can add but I know they have been working on them! Would love to have access control options feature.

Thomas H.
Textiles, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"A good support"

Pros: We use Katana everyday to track our supply flows through different warehouses and to get the average value in stock. Once the main integration is made it is easy to use.
Katana team members were always available to help us through this process and still are when needed.

Cons: Our use of Katana is limited since we are not handling our production ourselves, so we don't use all the functions available and have to adjust the features to our business. Small changes like adjusting the interface according to the daily customer needs would be a real bonus.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

• Reviewed on 17/12/2020
Charmayne I.
Customer Service Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"As Described, Easy to Use"

Pros: Product is as described, mostly. Easy to use. Has made a big difference in sorting orders and tracking inventory. Reasonably priced for a small business. There is a lot to the software program, and we are still learning, but customer service is always available to assist in answering any questions, and so far each employee that has used it, agrees that it is easy to navigate through.

Cons: Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features.

by Katana MRP on 10/02/2020

THank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Philippe F.
IT Manager
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 11-50 Employees

"Katana does the job"

Comments: With Katana, I could implement all our very special "recipes" we use to create our products as well as easily manage our inventory of raw materials as well as finished goods. The integration is seamless with Shopify, which is what we needed. Very good product!!

Pros: All the features I need to manage our manufacturing and inventory for our Shopify stores is in this app ! Easy to use.

Cons: It is a bit slow at times and the creation of product recipes is a lengthy process.

Israel S.
Food & Beverages, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 6/02/2020

"Amazing Product, Solid Support Team"

Pros: Katana has been an important integration for streamlining our business processes from purchase orders to manufacturing and inventory. The support team provides prompt responses and work to integrate requests as best as possible.

Cons: Katana is always integrating more requests each day. One of the things we await is the ability to update our accounting software with inventory from raw to finished goods.

Liis L.
Google Adwords Account Manager
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2018

by Katana MRP on 9/09/2019

• Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Lisa C.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/02/2020

"Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features"

Comments: We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's really proven it's value to us. We do not use it for order fulfillment, just in-house manufacturing. But it's allowed us to prep for holiday season from July forward and stay completely organized and efficient. No more "where-did-it-go" or "how-many-have-we-prepped" frantic moments. We began the year knowing we needed a software that "fit" our company's size and our needs. Katana has proven invaluable for our company this year. We are currently doing our first complete inventory and we hope to add these numbers to Katana in 2020 and continue to improve our efficiency.

Pros: The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons: There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added these and the software continues to grow. The next feature I'd love to see is the ability to have a product photo attached to each product that prints out an image with the MO. Also, we have some items "on hold" (not sent to distribution center yet) and we use Resources to specify ONHOLD-BIN221 etc. to know the status of any particular SKU completed. We'd prefer not to use different locations, but rather have the ability to add a couple more "status" options. Either a misc or a custom. For now, everything on hold gets marked BLOCKED status and then the Resource is used to say it's on hold in whatever bin.

by Katana MRP on 7/02/2020

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

Chris P.
Manufacturing Manager
Renewables & Environment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/09/2019

"Most affordable MRP system for small manufacturers"

Comments: Katana has been extremely responsive with receiving feedback on the product and working in product improvements based on that feedback. There have already been multiple issues I had with the product early on that they have reacted to feedback on and implemented changes. Great customer service.

Pros: I love the value. We were stuck using excel to manage our inventory for a long time because there were no affordable options until Katana came along. I am able to maintain accurate stock levels much more easily now.

Cons: There are a few minor inconveniences that are small time wasters. One example is not being able to shift/ctrl click multiple items and drag them around as a group when reorganizing priority rank of manufacturing orders. Since we have multilevel subassemblies I spend more time dragging around manufacturing orders to organize the order I want them completed in and I could save some time if I could drag items around as a group.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Callee A.
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Great for small but growing handmade biz!"

Pros: Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons: Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

by Katana MRP on 17/06/2020

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Cecilia V.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Katana Make Production Visible"

Comments: It has been a very positive experience, putting joy in my work.

Pros: I love this software because of the ease of use and the workflow methodology. The drill down ability for stock and manufactured items are great. We have managed to get a lot more information on staff productivity through exporting complete manufacture orders data and reporting. I also love it that support is real and that I now know some of the team personally. They answer queries fast and efficiently.

Cons: All the current issues I have are in development.
For example:
1. Adding landing costs to purchase order items
2. Multi Currency
3. Back Order information

Erik J.
Consumer Electronics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"MKUltra Corporation"

Comments: Invaluable to the maker+vendor. No more guessing, no more surprises when material stock runs out or inventory levels are low - Katana is the second set of eyes I didn't know I needed. Worth every minute of setup, this app has not only saved my business money and time - it has saved my business, period.

Pros: Integrates flawlessly with my Shopify store and makes managing materials and stock levels incredibly easy once everything is setup. The ability to prioritize jobs based on different criteria and rearrange them on the fly if necessary is critical for my business and Katana handles this with ease.

Cons: Setup was a chore BUT that is really more of a good thing, because there is a LOT of data that people might not take into account when initially considering software like this. If you want to use it properly, each and every little detail needs to be accounted for and when you have hundreds of SKUs like me, it can seem like a mountain. Climb it, you'll be glad you did.

by Katana MRP on 3/06/2020

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Zach D.
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Great Value for Small Manufacturing Businesses"

Comments: The overall experience has been a positive one. It does well what is promised, and the support team is helpful while also listening to feedback for future improvements.

Pros: The price makes Katana most attractive. It is also intuitive to set up and use. Katana also provided helpful onboarding assistance.

Cons: The software is a bit limited with respect to features for or customization of PO's.

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for reviewing Katana!

Ike P.
Head of Shipping and Production
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2020

"Katana is great for inventory and stock adjustments!"

Comments: Overall the pros definitely out weigh the cons (at least for our business) so we're very pleased.

Pros: I really like that I'm able to save my product's SOPs and can easily find them when I need to make more! It is very handy to have that feature. I also enjoy that after I have made the product, I can add the inventory through a stock adjustment. It's a very simple process that is not convoluted. Big fan!

Cons: The only thing that I don't love is when I am doing a stock adjustment I have to do the math on each item to get it to the correct total. For example: If I start the week with 35 of a specific item and throughout the week, say, 17 get purchased, when I do inventory and account for that, I have to use the calculator to figure out 35 -17 = correct total. And I have to do that math for each individual item.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your kind words!

• Reviewed on 20/12/2020
Joel S.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2020

"Very easy to use and ideal for production and sales"

Comments: great to remove manual tracking of sales order / SKU

Pros: Great integration with Shopify and Xero
Ability to track everything in one place from sales to invoices to production.
Work easily with creating customers and invoices through to xero.

Cons: No batch tracking (yet)
A little complicated to set up when you have multiple price points for the same SKU and need to input the product card to reflect this as discounts of one set price isnt ideal to flow into xero

• Reviewed on 25/05/2020
Todd D.
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Machine Shop Inventory COntrol"

Pros: I own a small, specialized machine shop and previously we have not had any inventory control or planning systems. When a customer called for a part, we went to the inventory and look at how many we had, if it was short we quickly ordered material and rushed there manufacturing to meet the order. Katana has given us visibility into our inventory supply as well as provided invaluable insight into our planning and work scheduling. Additionally it has helped identify areas for improvement in our workflow. Katana is an excellent app for managing inventory and processes.

Cons: We would like to be able to set stock up to quantities so that once the minimum stock is reached the software advises how many to make/purchase.