Ops Genie - a new way forward

Darren D.
Operations Manager
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We needed a more suitable monitoring alerting platform to help us grow and make use of systems outside of our infrastructure. Ultimately, Ops Genie has helped us do that. We can now plug services like AWS and Jira into our monitoring without having to force Nagios checks to do the work that has mostly already been done elsewhere. It's provided us more accurate and reliable alerting and reduced the effects of duplicate alerts coming through whilst an incident is being investigated. We hope to make further gains using additional features we haven;'t touched upon yet in the Ops Genie ecosystem

Pros: We had previously been using a Nagios + SMS provider solution, which had served us well as a small company. However as we have grown, we have found that SMS just wasn't a reliable enough solution. We looked around at various alerting providers, and found Ops Genie to be the closest match to what we were looking for. It's given us the ability to test out new notifications before enabling them for our on-call schedules, Re-arrange on call as we see fit without having to fiddle with Nagios configs, utilise integrations to alleviate the sometimes difficult task of adding checks into Nagios from other systems and gain a better insight into our alerts while reducing the all too common "alert fatigue". It gives the ability to create much more complex workflows and setups that previously weren't possible.

Cons: As is often the case with software that provides a wealth of options, getting started was quite complex, particularly around scheduling on call patterns. I think larger organisations may not have this problem, but we wanted to do some rather custom set ups. Fortunately, the support from Ops Genie is frankly brilliant, and they walked us through everything we needed to do. Should there still be difficulties, they can enact the changes you're looking for and guide you through what was done.

A Highly Capable Incident Management Platform

Allison G.
Security Analyst
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We need an application that works hand-in-hand with our SIEM, Splunk, and OpsGenie does just that. As events filter into Splunk's incident management platform, our analysts are alerted through OpsGenie (via a webhook integration). Analysts can then acknowledge and manage alerts. We also use OpsGenie as a tool for documentation, although this may be a somewhat unconventional use case. Analysts can search back through past incidents, using them as a reference. This is a highly valuable tool to us and we look forward to future improvements.

Pros: We love the scheduling feature, which keeps all of our security analysts on track with their shifts. The mobile application is also very useful, as it allows analysts to manage their schedules and keep track of alerts while on the go. There are a plethora of applications that OpsGenie integrates with, such as Slack and AWS. The ability to integrate other applications with OpsGenie is important to us, as our services to our clients depend on it.

Cons: Sometimes new features are slow to be implemented, even if they are minor. For example, we have requested some minor features such as a dark mode and the ability to expand the text entry box, but these features have yet to be seen. Sometimes the search function can be difficult to use, as it requires a specific syntax that doesn't always function as expected.

Good, almost great

William N.
Sr Developer
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Reliable Alerts monitoring from our application and infrastructure. Without it, we'd either be staring at monitors all night, or waiting for customers to call us and complain. Critical critical app for us.

Pros: The scheduling, routing, and alerting of the alerts is spectacular. Really simple to use, really powerful.

Cons: The new ui for alerts. Yes, its more flexible and exposes more functionalilty that was previously possible. But for 99% of the time its too, too much UI flexibility. When the house is on fire, I want to grab the fire estinguisher and go. Your ui slows me down. It just needs to let me select open, unacked, and closed alerts, SUPER SUPER easily and SUPER SUPER FAST. Also, the Android app is often unusably slow. I can often boot up my laptop, login to our domain, unlock password manager, and login into the opsgenine website before the stupid app will actually display the alert. Terrible.

Perfect for Managing On-call Teams

Reviewed on 25/03/2019
Rick R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Software was easy to initially configure and get setup. Adding users was quick, both through the website and in the mobile app. Linking OpsGenie to our monitoring applications went smoothly. It allowed for multiple layers of logic to be incorporated. This helped implement escalations that were consistent in their performance. After using it for a month or so, we were able to go in and tweak that logic to make them even better. From an on-call technicians perspective, the software is easy to use. They know when they are on-call and are able to set their own notifications and escalations. Also, they can work with other techs to cover for each other and the app will let them set the time for the switch so the system notifies appropriately.

Cons: The rule creation can sometimes be complex and requires a more advanced user to accomplish.

Great product, highly recommended!

Gurpreet V.
Head of OpsCentre Support
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Customer services and our account manager have been excellent. I put in a recommendation for a feature and it had been implemented within a month. I also received personal communication to let me know that my feature was being implemented! For me, that's amazing customer engagement!

Pros: I like the user-friendly interface and how easy it is to integrate with other applications. The search functionality in the Alerts section is super flexible and easy to use. I have found it very easy to manage and schedule my 8-person team to work 24/7 on complex shift patterns and have call forwarding setup to call desk, work mobile and then personal mobile phones. Ive been very impressed with the capabilities of the Incident Command Center for major incident orchestration. The mobile app is also easy to use and well thought out.

Cons: I haven't anything so far that I dislike.

I'll know for sure that I receive my alert, using different channels

Andianne F.
CTO
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Fast acting on solving a problem before my customers notice it!

Pros: It has many ways to notify me: push notification, SMS, Phone call, email. And I love the sum of integrations available, easy to set up and customize. It is a must have solution if you need to be sure that you get alerted when some of the services you offer have a problem and needs to respect the SLA. Long story short, you know when something goes wrong before your customer has a chance to notice the problem!

Cons: The search is not finding the correct results sometimes. The phone calls keep coming even after the alert is acknowledged, sometimes I need to answer in order to stop the calls. And what I like the least is that I cannot bulk note and close all the alerts at the same time, it should be a button for that, when 50+ alerts need the same note and close action.

We looked at the rest, we took OpsGenie!

Reviewed on 30/12/2017
Matt J.
DevOps Evangelist
Customer Support

Pros: OpsGenie provides a service similar to the other On Call distribution tools, but we decided on OpsGenie due to their competitive cost, and a sense that they would respond to our feature requests, and our many demands! We wanted all of our developers to be on call, not just our ops team, so we quickly found other solutions were priced out of our range. OpsGenie price was fair, and allowed us to spread responsibility to all of the people in our organization that deserve a 2AM wake up call. Also, they have proven to be responsive to our requests.

Cons: The UI has so many options, that it can be a little hard to find exactly what you need if you aren't familiar with it. But it doesn't take long to figure our where things are.

Easy to use, with great integrations and reporting

Reviewed on 8/08/2018
Director of Technical Operations
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We've been really happy since we switched our alerting to OpsGenie. Our old app didn't give us the flexibility we needed to create the complex oncall schedules that we needed for our engineering org.

Pros: It's easy to use, with integrations for all of our monitoring and messaging apps. The reporting around alert activity and agent performance is excellent. The team organization gives us great flexibility in how we set up our oncall and alert schedules.

Cons: Some of the scheduling around teams can be counterintuitive. If you're not doing it all of the time, it can take a little hunting around to get the setup you want

Finally a tool that lets you easily organise your on-call team

Reviewed on 24/04/2019
Head of ICT
Music, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: So far so good, I've tested the call and sms alerts and they've worked as expected. I'm excited to see how this benefits the team in the long run.

Pros: For years we have been running an in house on call team, up until discovering opsegenie this was a very basic on-call rota with a shared mobile number Opsgenie allows us to setup much more complex on-call rotas, with on call management and escalations, meaning alerts and on-call calls should rarely get missed. While I've yet to fully integrate all core system alerts, it looks like it can integrate with pretty much everything. The free tier seems extremely generous considering everything it offers

Cons: It's going to be quite time consuming to setup alerts from everything you want to monitor, but that's not the fault of opsegenie It took a little time to work out how to input the rota schedule for staff, this was down to me learning how to use the system, but I think the UI could be improved in that area to make it more clear

A most have

Fernando S.
Director of Infrastructure
Internet, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been a loyal customer of OpsGenie for almost three years now and I like to product so much that I wrote an integration with spring-boot-admin a year ago that now is used by many others. really great product

Pros: I like the easy of use and most of all It never fails to deliver a message, Great UX and full of features

Cons: I would like to have notification rules for how and when to receive some sort of events right now there is only one way of doing this but, that is something that would be ok to have but I'm very happy with the product

OpsGenie is a no-brainer

Reviewed on 3/08/2018
Phil A.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Publishing, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use OpsGenie to collect messages from multiple endpoints and manage rules for alerting. Basically our pager duty. Also use the Heartbeats feature for missed execution monitoring.

Pros: The pricing came in below Pagerduty by quite a bit and the features were much more plentiful. Really like the Heartbeats feature.

Cons: I really don't have anything negative to say. It's been an excellent experience with the product since day 1. Any (minor) troubles I've had turned out to be something I was doing wrong.

Ops genie helps you connect with the group of people with ease

Abhishek B.
Associate Manager
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: calling a group of people in their hierarchy in one call instead calling them one by one

Pros: The auto redirect of the call to the different resources as aligned and reaching out to individuals as hierarchy is what I like most. this helps with greater ease to the caller by avoiding dialing different number and instead its one call goes to one after other if the first person does not respond.

Cons: I have not encountered anything which will say it as least but yes if we may have a betterment in having options to identify whom the call is going to next then it will enhance this tool's visibility to a more higher level

Switched from xMatters and not looking back!

Xavier T.
IT Operations Systems Engineer
Furniture, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Initial setup was a bit scary as I brought this in to replace xMatters at our company. I was being looked at heavily and I wanted to hit the mark, so the little issues seemed bigger to me. Within a few weeks not only did we conquer some of those setup issues but tweaked this tool to not just replace but give me and my company a lot more power, control, ease of use, etc than we ever had before while handling escalations, notifications to stakeholders, etc.

Pros: Ease of use is the number one item. Some items during the initial setup can be rough or make it look like a total bust, however the engineers/developers here at OpsGenie will get through those and then it's been nothing but smooth sailing since. Started with wanting just a few feature improvements but ended up getting the full build we wanted in a perfect world.

Cons: Initial setup was not very smooth, due to issues on both parties systems. I also do not really like the limits of how much you can do from your phone as an admin/manager, however they have a new phone application coming out very soon I've heard that remedies most of the limitations (until I see this myself, it's a con but soon to be another pro).

Incident response and monitoring

Juan carlos C.
VP of Engineering
Internet, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall my experience has been very good. We use OpsGenie all the time, and it's a critical part of our monitoring stack.

Pros: OpsGenie is very flexible, and relatively simple to setup.
You can get up and running in just a few minutes, or you can spend days customizing the setup to match your teams/policies/services.
Their customer support is really helpful and will help you get set up quickly.
They are constantly releasing useful features (e.g. post-mortem analysis, video conference, etc).

Cons: The onboarding process and best practices are not obvious and require some tinkering to figure out (e.g. best way to structure teams, alerts/incident templates, etc.).
A guided onboarding and a best practices document would be really helpful for first timers.

its a nice a tools which can be configured as per your requirement and needs

Reviewed on 9/01/2018
Bharath N.
Consultant
Computer Software
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: stay up to date with the infra issues

Pros: --easy to configure or customise notification as per your requirement
--The GUI is very simple and self explanatory

Cons: when we change the mobile frequently then all the previously used mobile pile up in the configurations which causes issue later (I was not able to get the alerts since it was sending the alerts to the old mobile )...I had to delete the old mobiles from the web console to fix the issue

I use OpsGenie alerts to manage my work all day. I can react immediately when an issue arises.

Reviewed on 9/01/2018
Production Support Engineer
201-500 Employees
Customer Support

Pros: I really like the flexibility I have in receiving notifications. I can set mobile alerts or even phone calls for the most immediate needs, or just an email for something that I just need to see by the end of the day. I work in production support. So, this immediate filtering of alerts is key to meeting my performance goals.

Cons: I don't actually do the alert configuration myself, but there seems to be a lot of required information to manage new types of alerts. Possibly too flexible, meaning not enough structure to build functionality easily and quickly.

One stop solution

Reviewed on 1/08/2018
Prabhudatsinh R.
Monitoring Devloper
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall we are happy and glad to recommend OpsGenie at any other organization.

Pros: Opsgenie is one stop solution for our monitoring need . Adding Opsgenie reduces our manual and development effort very much. Systems are now easily manageable

Cons: There are still some integration which needs development efforts i..e JIRA . I wish that can also be automated and one click away integration.

OpsGenie is more like an Ops Miracle Worker

Reviewed on 6/08/2018
Adam K.
Network Engineer
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our issue was reliably alerting our staff of equipment warnings and outages. OpsGenie gives us the ability to not only send notifications, but see who received them, who responded, and escalate based on a number of factors to make sure that someone, somewhere is getting the alerts.

Pros: The ability to customize how events are handled is amazing. For example, our Nagios instance sends alerts to OpsGenie, but depending on host name or group that it is in, we can have staff get a phone call in addition to app notification for critical things.

Cons: Honestly we haven't really hit anything that we didn't like. We ran into a hiccup with a bug in the Nagios integration but the OpsGenie support staff were very helpful and quick at fixing the bug.

After looking at competing options, OpsGenie provided the best value overall

Senior System Administrator
Automotive, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We went from having end users tell us systems were down, to proactively being alerted about critical issues. With the flood of alert emails coming in from every direction, it was just not feasible to respond to every email that chimes on your phone. OpsGenie allowed us to filter out the garbage and know that if my phone is ringing in the middle of the night, it's something worth being woken up for.

Pros: Frankly, most of the products in this category do basically the same thing. OpsGenie's advantage is the cost, especially when you look at the co-marketing being done. OpsGenie and Solarwinds working together to replace Alert Central is a great example.

Cons: The filtering can be a little complicated, but that is to be expected. Otherwise I don't have any complaints.

OpsGenie Usage

Jeremy P.
Data Center IT Systems Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Previously we were using an alarming system that had SMS functionality built in via email to vtext. This provided the basic notification level. Leveraging OpsGenie to assign teams and groups and on call schedules and escalation paths took this to another level.

Pros: The ability to scale out teams and provide correct alarming after hours to the on call tech.

Cons: If anything I wish to have a one on one support personal following up with troubles. I am the one pushing for a fix to a current trouble if someone was assigned to my problem and they provided feedback that would help.

Great alert system, web, android app & operations

Mariano K.
Project Leader
Customer Support

Pros: It is a very solid infrastructure, not only the web app and the android app but the the phone call system, the sms and the mail services.
The groups and users admin is great! and all the scheduling is workings as you expect.

Cons: Whenever you change your escalation group you have to reorder it. The new UI is not as intuitive as the classic.

Great product

Andris U.
Head of Networks
Telecommunications, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: With a help of OpsGenie, we massively improved our response time and it helped to meet SLA agreements with ustomers.

Pros: OpsGenie allows you multiple integrations. We are using Zabbix integration and it works perfect for us.

Cons: At the first point, it is a bit tricky to understand on-call schedules but that was couple of years ago and they done a lot of improvments.

Good, flexible easy to use, easy to learn, can be more flexible

Reviewed on 29/12/2017
Nambirajan R.
Sr DBA
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Oncall setup & management become easier

Pros: Good, easy to use, easy to learn. Excellent menu options. Time zone can be selected for roster. As users & teams are different, an user can be setup in multiple teams

Cons: Unable to roster when multiple teams work in multiple time zone teams and similarly unable to setup manager and escalations

I use a daily to notify issues about my apps and works like a charm

Business Assurance
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: 1. easier to settings
2. availability (uptime)
3. the message of alert contains great elements

Pros: 1. is very simple to setting teams, escalations and source notifications
2. reports is easier to use
3. integratetions

Cons: 1. the on call schedule isn´t easy in your first visit.
2. integrations with another apps need more docs o information

This tool is really very helpful and easy to use.

Reviewed on 13/02/2018
Roophashree K.
Associate Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: From this software we are able to monitor all the below threshold level values and alerts get triggered automatically.

Pros: This software can be used by anyone and it is very easy to use. The alerts that get triggered are all genuine alerts and for the alerts which are critical, the incidents get automatically created.

Cons: Once we open any alert somewhere in between and again go back to open next alert it shows from the beginning wherein we have to again scroll down to search for the same alert.