15 years helping New Zealand businesses

New Zealand Local product

Xero Reviews

4.4 (2,910) Write a Review! New Zealand Local product

About Xero

Xero is a beautiful online accounting software solution for small businesses, sole traders, and accountants in any industry.

Learn more about Xero

Pros:

Integrates well with adds on to provide more sophisticated reporting. Integration with AI products such as ReceiptBank and Approval Donkey also work well.

Cons:

1099 reports are too limited. Tracking categories are too limited.

Xero ratings

4.3
4.0
4.3
4.2

8.2/10

Xero has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 2,910 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Xero before?

Filter reviews (2,910)

Jonathan
Jonathan
Experience strategist in UK
Online Media, Self Employed

Dashboard enables multiple accounts all in one place

5.0 last month New

Comments: Over the last 8 years it's been easy to manage my business finances - and that's from someone who doesn't really want to do finance tasks

Pros:

Mobile app enables at a glance view and ease to enter receipts when out

Cons:

Complex reconciliation when currency charges are deducted, sure you can make an adjustment, but it always feels clunky

Jesse
Managing Director in Australia
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Xero is a Team Player

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Xero has helped us reduce the amount of admin time we used to spend by automating and simplifying some of the most time consuming daily tasks. We love the ability to connect and reconcile our accounts, easily process payroll, sign up new staff and process credit card payments for better cashflow.

Cons:

There's nothing I don't like about Xero. I'm just looking forward to more features and the ability to integrate with more external software in the future, increasing automation wherever possible.

Kira
Executive Assistant in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Simple Accounting Program

3.0 last month New

Comments: Overall if you are looking for a simple, straight forward accounting system, then Xero is great. However, I believe that if you have a larger business and need to dive in deep into details, then go with a different program.

Pros:

Xero is a very simple accounting program for small business users. I appreciated how easy it was to learn as well as it being an inexpensive program.

Cons:

For our business, we are slightly convoluted, and we had issues when it came to separating items by class and project. The reporting could not provide the numbers I needed for each individual item.

Mark
Owner in South Africa
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Easy, capable, and to the point

Comments: Overall, we love Xero, having come from a free alternative which took so much more time to use.

Pros:

We love Xero's ease of use and the straightforward way of defining accounts, setting tax settings on these accounts and then reconciling transactions.

Cons:

While Xero has many integrations to other external solutions/applications, it has none which are valuable to us, being our local South African payment gateways and Buy Now Pay Later providers for the purposes of importing transactions from them into Xero for transaction reconciliation - examples of integrations which would be fantastic are to PayFast, PayJustNow, Ozow, Payflex, HappyPay, Float, etc.

Martin
Managing Director in UK
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Simple and fluent

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Easy and without hassle. Team were helpful in transferring from other accounting software.

Pros:

Mobile app is great for quoting in the job. Lots of automated features. Bank reconciliations are a breeze.

Cons:

Title and descriptions on quotes don’t transfer over to invoices. Other than that I have nothing else.

Julio
CFO Analyst in Colombia

Xero, Basic Accounting Software

Comments: We used Xero for the basic accounting of our company, and the results were great the software is cloud based, and you can input and deliver financial reports with it.

Pros:

I like that it did what it had to do, this suffer is a very complete software. It has a lot of integrations. You can integrate it with almost every single financial analysis, software available, and with all the banking within the US.

Cons:

I find that the interface needs work, I think that famous software like this should be able to edit or personalize the interface

Jamie
Head of Growth in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Great for growing businesses

5.0 last month New

Comments: My experience with Xero has been very positive and I can’t see a point in time when I’ll ever move away from it as the go-to cloud accounting solution.

Pros:

It’s incredibly easy for SMEs to set up invoicing, P&L reporting and credit control processes and it scales with your business because of all the add-ons/3rd party app integrations.

Cons:

The only negative is it’s slight lack of financial data visualisation in reports, but this easily solved with the right integrations.

Samuel
CEO in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Xero is Great

4.0 last month New

Comments: It's been cool. Helpdesk has been responsive, although sometimes you need to explain things a number of times before the right agent gets involved and solves it. Overall, fine though.

Pros:

The team at Xero were very friendly getting me set up and the overall feel of the app is welcoming. It's got some quirks, but seems to be fairly straightforward once it's up and running properly.

Cons:

I did have some issues getting set up and connecting bank accounts, which resulted in duplicates for one of my credit cards. The solution was to just abandon one account and use the other to get it working. This will be better after a full fiscal year goes by.

Anthony
CRM coordinator in UK
Computer Hardware, 51–200 Employees

Xero made accounts quicker

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The full integration with our CRM system allows for less time adding invoice line and amounts

Cons:

Not as much customisation as other packages

Rob
Design, 2–10 Employees

Modern, trustworthy

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

A secure, trustworthy platform to keep track of our business finances in check.

Cons:

Pricing can be seen as fairly steep, however aware it’s one of the leading products out there.

Adam
Adam
CEO in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Absolutely love Xero

Comments: Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros:

Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons:

The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

Accounting, Self Employed

Xero is an awesome bookkeeping solution for small business owners!

Comments: Xero is an awesome bookkeeping and accounting software solution for startups and small business owners. It is indeed a good match for business owners who know nothing about accounting in order to keep their books and to properly manage their finances. From my own experience, I found that Xero is very user-friendly and its accounting interface is streamlined, almost seamless, and uncluttered. The Demo Company is very useful as you can manipulate data without worrying about messing up vital information in your practice company. Xero’s accounting dashboard shows the snapshot of your business (i.e., bank balances and reconciling items, outstanding invoices, and bills, accounts on the watchlist, etc.) and fully customizable depending on your needs. Quickbooks had been the leader of accounting software for small businesses for quite some time but Xero is becoming more popular because of its competitive offering and value proposition. Xero’s starting plan is very affordable and you have the option to add-on some features depending on your need. It also offers a basic inventory and fixed asset management functionality in all of its plans, which is very cool! And the best thing about Xero is the unlimited users allowed to access the financial information.

Pros:

- Affordable and cost less for startups and small businesses - Includes fixed assets and inventory management in all of its plans - Very user-friendly especially during migration or conversion of data - Allows unlimited users - Friendly 24/7 customer support

Cons:

- Some countries lack a built-in payroll option. - Customized reporting options are still limited. I wish Xero can allow you to create your own report. - The contact list of customers and suppliers is mixed together and needs to set-up manually to organize.

Quratulain
Quratulain
Head of Projects in Pakistan
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Best in Multi-currency accounting for SMB

Comments: Xero was the best choice back in 2015 (when no one gave multi-currency) and still is in 2021 (when there are some who do). I have now added another company to Xero and cannot imagine shifting to another platform....ever.

Pros:

With most clients abroads, we find its best to bill them in their local currency. Luckily for us, Xero is there to help sort our books out and keep them in order. It integrates with many bank feeds & popular wallets/fintechs like PayPal, Payoneer & TransferWise so accounts are upto date - always. Another feature we really use is their tracking fields. Xero allows users to setup 2 tracking fields that can be added to invoices, expenses, bills and assigned to each line. This helps us keep track of project based work and has been our way since before Xero ventured into Project based accounting (that users need to pay additional fee for) It also integrates with online payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, GoCardless, and a few others; thus payments are a breeze for clients. As a non-accountant, Xero is easy to use even when you get into all the features it provides.

Cons:

They have made some changes to their UI esp where invoices and expenses are concerned. Luckily for older users, expenses are still free however, for new users it isnt and each person filing expenses on it needs to pay a small fee. I think it should be free for a small number of users (atleast 2) and then charged.

Farhad
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Perfect Accounting Software - Nothing Comes Close

Comments: Xero changed the face of accounting for our business. It has made accounting work far less painful than it used to be. And the true cloud-based setup makes it so much easier to access from anywhere.

Pros:

Ease of use - seriously. Nothing comes close. And trust me, I've tried a number of accounting software and they're all a nightmare to use unless you're an accountant.

Cons:

Customer support could be quicker, and phone support would help.

Cody
Controller in US
Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

Easy to Implement and Manage Global Business, Low Customization Options

Comments: Kanopy has found Xero to serve its needs well, but ultimately we moved on and migrated to NetSuite years later. We still keep Xero though for 1 international subsidiary that we found to be advantageous not to migrate. The mature business with complex operations may not find all needs are met with Xero, especially if the desire is to integrate many other tools/software with the ERP in a bi-directional data flow.

Pros:

Xero serves well as an "out of the box" accounting system, not unlike Quickbooks. It also has more functionality and use internationally, making it a superior choice to QB if your business operates on a global, multicurrency basis. There are some solid automations which can be implemented with Xero as well, and the canned reporting generally suffices for the majority of basic financial needs.

Cons:

Xero lacks the open customization options that software like Netsuite or Dynamics offers. For a small business this will often be fine, but a scaling operation looking to automate many functions based on unique business needs may someday find they have outgrown Xero and need to undergo an (often painful) ERP migration.

Ibrahim
Ibrahim
internal auditor in Nigeria
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Xero is changing the landscape of cloud accounting

Comments: My experience with Xero can be described as fulfilling, it has simplified my workflow and saved me a lot of time and effort, I no longer spend long hours at the office. This has also impacted positively on my health. I would recommend this software to everyone.

Pros:

“It’s so clean to apply, even for non-financial human beings” My financial institution transactions are robotically connect to Xero so I don’t have to manually input them myself. I get my Financial statements the first week after the year end Another charming issue of this software is that it is a great idea if a corporation is unfolded across a couple of places with personnel operating in various locations. The accountants from every location can get admission to the financial data of all branches at any moment irrespective of their vicinity or time. As a world main provider of online accounting software program, Xero utilizes world-elegance cloud safety. Your data is appropriately saved in the cloud, and guarded from both Cyber criminals and perils like fire or flood.

Cons:

The expenses tracking can be formatted to allow multiply currencies to be easily uploaded in batches or real time. No integrated ‘Debtor Chasing’ function so companies will have to manually follow up on their unpaid invoices.

Mitchell
Accounting Manager in US
Investment Management, 11–50 Employees

The BEST Small Business Accounting Platform

Comments: Having used Xero since 2013, I am yet to find a better product. The software and the overall company have never missed a beat. They are continually adding features (see Hubdoc integration, transparent, have competitive pricing, and connect accountants with business (refer to Xerocon events).

Pros:

Xero has everything for startup companies and small businesses. Their software is 10 out 10 on user interface. It was born in the cloud and continues to exceed Quickbooks by a long shot. Most everything Quickbooks has added to its software in the past 10 years, is because Xero did it first.

Cons:

The software does not have a tax add-on when compared to Quickbooks (Intuit). They are plenty of integrations to solve this issue but it would be nice to have. Integrating bill payment is more difficult compared to Quickbooks as well.

Elliot
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Best choice in the market !!

Comments: It has provided a solution for more than 200 of our clients of varying sizes and complexities.

Pros:

Xero is first and foremost easy to use and benefits from clever AI functionality. Keeping an eye on the business is much easier via Xero as it shows a snapshot of key data on the dashboard. With the available integrations there are very little limitations to its use and it is well priced for the majority of our clients

Cons:

The Payroll module is quite clunky and better options are out there in our opinion. An enhanced cash flow and adding a forecasting element within the software would help. Making it easier to post customer payments on account would also improve an already good product

Christopher
CTO in UK
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The clean and clear accounting software

Comments: Since I started using it, everything I have needed Xero for has been straightforward. It takes minutes to get a basic invoice setup and sent to a client, and not much longer to make a more advanced invoice. It is easy to connect to your bank account and reconcile incomings and outgoings. It is also easy to give your accountants access.Overall, Xero makes it easy for you to avoid mistakes, and very importantly it has plenty of functionality that will allow it to grow with a company, as you need more advanced features, they are there, often at little to no extra cost. Having Xero helped a lot when starting my business, by making handling my fiances and accounting clean and clear.

Pros:

Xero provides a clean and straightforward experience. It has plenty of features for most use cases, but provides functionality that is easy for anyone to use from small business owners up. The integrations they provide, both with Open banking, and allowing you to give your accountants access, make it a breeze to correctly handle your finances and avoid time consuming mistakes come the end of the tax year.

Cons:

Having used Xero for many years, there is not much that I have found that I don't like about the system. Sole traders may find the 20 invoice a month restriction limiting, but that only applies to the Starter subscription. The prices of the others are more than reasonable to validate upgrading which gets you unlimited invoices. On occasion there will be bank feed issues, at which point you might be left wondering why your balances don't match. Finding out there is an issue with the feed from your particular bank is not obivous, but can be found by clicking through to their "Why is this different" page. From my experience this is the only con, and it is quite minor.

Rebekah
Office Manager in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Brilliant product

Comments: Really good, does what it says on the tin (so to speak!), perfect for our use case.

Pros:

Xero is very easy to use, it has a lot of useful features that make it stand out ahead of similar software

Cons:

There isn't much that I don't like, but maybe some more customisation to the interface would be nice, to make things cleared to see when needed or to remove bits I don't want to see.

jonathan
Managing Director in UK

Appalling Software - Avoid at all Costs in My Opinion

Comments: Overall, Xero costs us a lot of time we didn't spend before, does things on it's own such as create new suppliers for an expense and to me, it seems the software was written by ex Bookkeepers who didn't really understand bookkeeping anyway and had a good go at designing a software package that would compete I am guessing with the likes of Sage and failed abysmally. We use Xero because our accountants do the bookkeeping for us and this is what they use, if not for this, I wouldn't touch Xero if my life depended on it.

Pros:

Nothing, nothing at all. The software is nothing more than a glorified analysed cashbook. Support is poor and some of the replies from Support demonstrate the advisor doesn't understand accounts, the accounts structure or the damage that can be done by the advice they are giving.

Cons:

All purchases whether a supplier, or a bottle of milk from Tesco's is a contact. A bottle of milk for the office should be coded directly to the nominal code, not a new supplier "Tesco's" created. Cash in an out of bank should be the same as the bank statement on a live bank feed, but it excludes transfers from savings to current account so not a true reflection of cash in and out. Xero doesn't reconcile customer receipts, even through the name on the receipt in the bank is the same as the customer account exactly. Xero dump a lot of support on to the accountant who provides the service. Xero creates accounts for customers and suppliers on it's own if it doesn't recognise a payment or receipt in the bank account. Software should never be allowed to decide if it wants to create something automatically. Xero isn't as automated as Sage Accounts, for instance when bulk invoicing over several days, you can't set the date at software level, you have to keep changing the date. When importing from Sage into Xero for the first time, if Xero doesn't understand an item on the invoice, it simply creates a new line on the invoice whether you want it to or not and there is no way apparently to undo this once done. Xero works with receipt bank and you can spend hours trying to tell it an expense is not to be coded to a customer. I could go on.

William
CEO in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

The best at what it does

Comments: Full Disclosure: I am an accountant and I recommend Xero to many of my clients. When the expectations are in alignment with the capabilities of the software, then everyone is happy. People get into trouble with ANY software when they jump in thinking they know what it does and are then disappointed. All accounting and ERP software has limitations and Xero is no exception, but what it does, it does well. It provides payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and general ledger as its core functionality. There is a very capable estimating/quoting/order/ process that ties into AR invoices smoothly. But, the requisition/purchase/inventory side is very, very basic. In fact there are no requisitions and the purchase orders are so limited that I recommend you not use them. The inventory is only what is needed to make the sales side functional. So, if you need strong inventory support, you have to use a third-party add-on designed just for this purpose.

Pros:

What is good about Xero are 1) Real-time bank feeds and bank reconciliation - this is what scared the pants off of Intuit and forced them to develop new functionality. 2) Xero fully embraces and enables third-party developers to provide niche solutions that have rich interaction with Xero. 3) The features keep getting better and better quarter after quarter. 4) Perhaps my relationship as a partner skews this, but I've had nothing but excellent support from Xero. I can call someone if I have to, but I almost always get issues resolved through technical support in a timely fashion. Some of my favorite add-ons for Xero are GeoOp for field services, Deputy which integrates its scheduling, time and attendance functions with Xero payroll, and Float which projects cashflow. The new reporting and the tags are fantastic.

Cons:

There are some features I would like to see "sooner," but they are on the roadmap for "later." People jump on Xero because of the price without having a Xero consultant evaluate their suitability for the application - that can create an expectation gap, and that inevitably leads to an unhappy customer. I just hate it when people let their wallet do their thinking for them and then blame the software because it "doesn't do enough." The payroll is fine. I spoke to the VP in charge of payroll development and he is all about improving the functionality, so it will continue to improve. What is there now is very well designed to be comprehensive and flexible, but there are situations where a third-party payroll like Gusto will make more sense for your organization. They are the first ones to suggest you look at solutions like Gusto, ADP, Paychex and others that integrate seamlessly with Xero. It is annoying that the tags are limited to two categories, and this won't be revised until they have their design for job costing completed. No word yet on when that will be.

Ayman
Senior Interior designer - Showroom Manager in Jordan
Design, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best accounting software that meets all of your requirements

Comments: In particular, my experience with Xero has been beneficial in that it has enabled me to organize and manage all financial affairs of the branch in which I work without the need for a full-time accountant in the branch, as it allows me to prepare financial statements, pay bills, and organize payment dates myself.

Pros:

I appreciate that Xero is responsive and simple to use for everyone, as it does not necessitate a great deal of prior experience. Once connected to the Internet, the user will be able to connect with all of his bank accounts, both those through which he wishes to make payments and those to which he wishes to transfer money, and monitor and follow them accurately and professionally, as well as track and report on them. It is extremely adaptable to a wide range of requirements, including those of freelancers and huge corporations. Furthermore, it serves as a vital database for all financial data, as it will allow you to download documents and invoices quickly and easily, and also through the phone application, where it is sufficient to scan documents and invoices in order to enter information from them into the system and schedule payments quickly and easily. I particularly appreciate the reports that are generated by Xero since they are comprehensive in that they include all of the financial transactions that occurred during the time period under consideration.

Cons:

there are no noteworthy issues. The issue of dealing with recurring payments does not operate as expected, as you must occasionally complete the procedure manually.

Afzal
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Effortless Accounting with Xero, but at a Price

Comments: I have been using Xero for accounting for quite some time now, and overall, I am quite satisfied with the software. The best thing I like about Xero is how easy it is to use. The interface is intuitive, and the software is designed to be user-friendly, even for those who are not accounting experts. It makes managing my financials a breeze and saves me a lot of time. The software has a wide range of features and integrations that allow me to keep my business finances organized and up to date.However, the one thing that I do not like about Xero is its pricing. It is quite expensive compared to other accounting software in the market. While I understand that Xero offers a lot of features, I believe that the pricing could be more affordable, especially for small businesses like mine.Overall, Xero is a great accounting software that is easy to use and has a lot of features that can help streamline your business finances. While the price may be a bit steep for some, I believe that the benefits it provides are worth the investment.

Ra
programmer in Saudi Arabia
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Xero is the ideal accounting solution for small businesses - easy, comprehensive and integrated.

Comments: Overall, my experience with Xero has been extremely positive. I found the transition to the platform smooth and straightforward. The intuitive user interface allowed me to get started with the software quickly without the need for extensive training. I’m now able to easily manage invoices, payments, and track expenses. The integrations with banks and payment apps enabled me to automate financial processes. The reporting and dashboards helped me make better decisions to grow my business. I'm very happy with choosing Xero as my accounting solution, and would recommend any startup to consider it.

Pros:

What I liked most about Xero was its user-friendly interface. The dashboard is simple and streamlined, allowing me and my accounting team to use the software smoothly even without extensive accounting background. I also enjoy the mobile access on phones and tablets, enabling me to manage accounting tasks anywhere. Additionally, the seamless integration with other banking and invoicing apps is great. Overall, Xero is easy to use and helpful for handling the day-to-day accounting of my business.

Cons:

What I liked least about Xero was the limited custom reporting options. While Xero provides many standard financial reports, the ability to customize reports or create more complex accounting reports is restricted. So sometimes I need to export data to Excel to build custom reports. It also lacks advanced support for inventory or manufacturing accounting. But overall, Xero covers my needs as a small business for now, and I expect the platform will continue improving over time.