15 years helping New Zealand businesses

Microsoft Teams Reviews

4.5 (9,470) Write a Review!

About Microsoft Teams

Cloud-based application developed for business communications that helps manage chat, meet, file sharing, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft Teams

Pros:

I loved how easy it was to set up and join your team. I also loved that you could record your videos and that they automatically go to your email to share or to keep.

Cons:

Very little to dislike and cannot think of anything that bad i would comment on it. The negative is the shade of purple it uses.

Microsoft Teams ratings

4.3
4.2
4.4
4.4

8.4/10

Microsoft Teams has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 9,470 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Teams before?

Filter reviews (9,469)

Jason
Jason
Computer Specialist in Sri Lanka
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great online meeting tool

5.0 last month New

Pros:

MS teams is an amazing tool that I was able to hold meeting perfectly. User interface also good. Easy to share the screen and easy to create and join to meetings.

Cons:

Some times, meetings are lagging, auto disconnecting. Don't know what should I do to that. Others features are fine

Luca
Software Engeneering in Italy
Pharmaceuticals, 10,000+ Employees

Perfect tool for remote collaboration

Comments: I would say that the overall experience is great. MS Teams represent the main software for company's employees to comunicate with colleagues and increase collaboration

Pros:

It's not all about a chat tool. Microsoft teams become the access point for the whole organization to access all the collaboration tools. We set MS Teams as hopepage of the organization. Within MS Teams we are able to open direclty all the MS office suite documents, like presentations, spreadsheets and so on.

Cons:

PC resource consumption need to be decreased.

Translation & Localisation, 201–500 Employees

Teams or teams new?

Comments: Overall the experience is good, but I don't have many other products to compare this to.

Pros:

The integration with other products of the office suite is a plus

Cons:

The new teams looks better than the old one, but glitches and bugs appear daily - like issues with microphones, connection issues, statuses not updating...

Aritra
Associate Consultant in India
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

The best video conferencing tool for IT industry

Comments: Overall the experience with Microsoft teams has been great as it is a versatile tool and all of my team members including me rely on it daily to efficiently communicate and carry out our daily work. Teams allows us to create different channels for different projects which makes it very flexible.

Pros:

The best thing about Microsoft teams is that we can work remotely through teams and it also supports third party integrations. I am able to share files , communicate with other team members , setup status calls and provide knowledge transfer sessions through efficient screen sharing and video recording. It is compatible for android and IOS devices and also provides data security.

Cons:

The advance functionalities of teams are available through paid plans which are a bit costly.Sometimes managing a large number of teams notifications from different channels can be difficult and teams rely on a n active internet connectivity else there are system lags.

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Online meetings with Microsoft Teams

Comments: I've beeen using Microsoft Teams for online meetings, screen recording, and video conferences, the audio and video quality is great, but other features are not well implemented at all.

Pros:

Greate audio and video quality, good integration of Microsoft products, screen recording, meeting recording.

Cons:

The windows and mobile versions are too heavy, consume too much resources and it's optimized.

Akhila
Akhila
Analyst in India
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Microsoft Teams for Collaboration

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I'm satisfied with my experience with MS Teams as it is helpful in collaborating across teams.

Pros:

MS Teams is an easy-to-use application with great audio and video call facility. The real time chat theme looks unique with emojis and reactions. Large files can be shared and it integrates well with Microsoft ecosystems.

Cons:

Too many updates makes the user experience unpleasant. The activity status of the user doesn't get updated promptly. The applications runs slow when accessed while being in a call or screen sharing.

Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Great Tool for IT and Business

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It's been a consistently solid communication tool that keeps adding great features.

Pros:

It's not only great for meetings, but has a vast amount of connectors to other software that helps integrate everything in one place.

Cons:

Compared to Slack, it lacks some features that cater to software development teams.

Retail, 2–10 Employees

I like that it’s free

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall it’s a useful and effective platform for communication.

Pros:

I like that it’s free compared to zoom prices.

Cons:

I’m accustomed to zoom so it takes a second for me to switch over sometimes.

My IT experience with Microsoft Teams

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It is easy to connect with the team and keep track of the progress of the work. We can share our work with the team through calls and instant chat using Microsoft Teams, which is very convenient. Additionally, we can record meetings for future reference. The screen-sharing feature in Teams allows us to share our work with the team more efficiently. Microsoft Teams has many features, including the ability to express emotions using emojis during meetings.

Cons:

Microsoft Teams is an excellent communication platform that boosts team and organizational productivity, and there is nothing to dislike about it.

Chiara
Chiara
Stagist software engineer in Italy
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Perfect for remote work

Pros:

Teams has everything. Screen sharing, shared calendars, chat messaging. We used it in university for online classes and now I use it at work.

Cons:

It's a bit hard to wrap your head around at first. The desktop app is not free if you don't have a school or work account.

Scott
CIO in US
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

Best product for collaboration

Comments: This is my favorite application and it is an amazing tool. I highly recommend it.

Pros:

Microsoft Teams is an amazing collaboration product and it keeps getting better. From being able to do Live events to its integration of applications, Teams is my "go-to" app for communicating with my teams. The Video Conferencing is stellar and Microsoft keeps adding more functionality. Schools get Microsoft for free and there is not reason they should be using Zoom.

Cons:

Unlike Zoom, the ability for webinars is lacking. Zoom has everyone beat here and Teams really could use this feature for Live Events. Also, Teams needs to integrate with Microsoft Bookings.

Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Microsoft Teams

Comments: I am satisfied with Microsoft Teams, as it provides nice way to chat with my colleagues and we are able to create additional channels via which we can check some information with another Team from our Organization, which can speed up our torubleshooting.

Pros:

Microsoft Teams is great for one Team to stay in touch for instance or to conduct daily tasks via this Software. I use it daily to check on the possible next steps for some tickets, to help someone or to ask someone for help when I am not sure on the proper next steps. I also had meetings via it and also some trainings, for which I had option to download the videos, which is very good option. Also during those trainings, which were done via Meeting option, we were able to share our screens and compare our findings, which another great function of Teams.

Cons:

Sometimes all of my Teammates appear as offline, even though we hear seconds ago and my internet was working normally ( for which I am extremely sure, because I have one Software which is extremely sensitive to the quality of the network on which it is being used and it didn't go down when Teams did ). Also, sometimes I am unable to share screenshots with my colleagues, as my pictures get corrupted during the upload.

Youssef
Youssef
Chief Technology Officer in Lebanon
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

A good communication tool with a lot of potential

Comments: We've been using Microsoft Teams for a while now in our work environment and it helped us communicate better internally by dividing the communication into different channels. We can make a call and join calls instantly.

Pros:

Teams isn't just a videoconferencing tool, it's a collaboration software where you can have multiple teams and channels and have a discussion about each project separately.

Cons:

Guests joining from outside your organization have some trouble to join, not very user friendly compared to other similar tools. Sometimes the software has issues on Mac computers.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

opens entirely new world of possibilities on how to boost productivity in team settings

Comments: Microsoft Teams has helped us maintain our level of productivity in these uncertain times of remote work, where team supervision and monitoring protocols have been completely overhauled. The collaboration and practical communication tools it offers has helped us improve in certain areas of our workflow.

Pros:

The best thing about using Microsoft Teams is that it runs perfectly with almost all of the tools we use regularly in our day to day tasks such as the Office Tools; allowing for real time editing, sharing and location of relevant documents as meetings are being held.

Cons:

The specifications that enable remote control assignment should be revised to allow for lower capacity devices capable of running Microsoft Teams to equally execute this function as well. Also, the installation process could automatically adjust the system settings of the operating system that may hinder the execution of this function fully.

Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Systems Adminitrator & Educator's perspective on MS Teams

Comments: Teams made the transition of work from home very easy. Collaboration integration with Word and Whiteboard made educational settings significantly easier especially in the early days of covid lock down. Over all staff at my full time system administrator job have found the video conference, team chatting, file sharing and instant messaging to be a more useful tool than e-mail. Many have been able to communicate issues across the city and determine outages and impact at a faster rate than we would have in the past. While this might have been doable with a third party product the use of Teams with O365 integration makes the product much easier to use.

Pros:

Most users have found Microsoft teams easy to use. The integration with the other office products makes it substantially easier to leverage than another competing product.

Cons:

Microsoft is constantly changing the product to improve things but users find the changes hard to keep up with. I have found the usage of third party applications to be difficult or cumbersome to access. Recently used apps are not available in a quick launch button.

Siddharth
Student in India
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Should you use Microsoft Teams?

Comments: If you are thinking of using microsoft teams for school, I would not place it top on the list but if you want to use it for businesses and all, which is what it is made for, it is the best available tools because it offers integration with tons of microsoft tools

Pros:

1. Easy to use 2. So many features 3. Organize meetings 4. Good quality for video and screen sharing 5. Can control screen better than competition 6. Can record videos and store on cloud 7. Can upload files and share on specific channels 8. Helps in perfect organization of business, school etc. 9. Can integrate whiteboard, forms etc. 10. Inbuilt document viewer

Cons:

1. New glitch everyday 2. The call randomly cuts sometimes 3. You have 2 roles, presenters, attendees. Either give a person all the power for meeting or no power. Would appreciate allowing specific participants specific permissions like this guy can screen share and this person can record

Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Working from home just got a whole lot easier throughout 2021

Comments: Microsoft Teams, Wow Wow Wow! Well long gone are the days of spending 20 to 30 mins trying to get all my learners to battle through Cisco WebEx's complex dial in process....OMG the nightmares so many of us had with that is just beyond belief.
Teams has been a lifesaver, timesaver, stress reducer in a time of high anxiety. It's been a brilliant investment by our workplace. We have our working meetings so easy to set up and in contrast to other softwares, there is no time limit. We can pass files back and forth, open files simultaneously to work collaboratively. It's saving huge amounts of time, improved efficiency and hence increased productivity. It has been a brilliant promoter of paper free working, less emails, and more in the moment work.

Pros:

The video conferencing, screen sharing and being able to invite a limitless number of colleagues to the meeting with such ease has to be one of it's top strengths. Live transcription on the go during meetings Ability to see our colleagues in the display individually or a together mode on the seats; it's an extraordinary touch. Absolutely love how you're able to change backgrounds throughout the meeting during conferencing Very easy to set up and in contrast to other softwares, there is no time limit. The ability to pass files & documents back and forth and to open files simultaneously to work collaboratively. It's saving us huge amounts of time, improved efficiency and hence increased productivity. Breakout rooms are a breeze to set up and makes life so much easier.

Cons:

Low bandwidth can be an issue, would have to switch the cameras off to compensate. Have to mute chats to stop notifications constantly popping up in the bottom right hand corner - can be very distracting during sessions. The whiteboards need better integration, e.g. being able to prepare prior to session, save after completion of sessions etc.

Scott
Controller in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,000+ Employees

Very Powerful Business Tool

Comments: Overall this is a very good tool that has changed how projects are run. It is well suited to our new hybrid work situations where some are remote and others are working on-site.

Pros:

I use this product daily for my day job. Each day I attend a minimum of one or two meetings on MS Teams. It is great for hosting conferences and bringing people from around the world together. It is also great for one one one or group calls. I belong to several teams that host their info on MS Teams. It is great to have such a powerful tool.

Cons:

The document storage can be a little clunky but that may just be the way that we use it. Does not interface well with our conference room audio/visual equipment when trying to use it as the host for a meeting. Must host from a separate PC, unlike a close competitor's product.

Stephen
Stephen
Director in UK
Utilities, 2–10 Employees

Teams is an essential part of our day-to-day business

Comments: We have an automated booking software that works with Teams and is critical to our business, most other companies use it as well so that helps. Also for our internal meetings with overseas staff, it's the go-to tool and books straight in our outlook calender.

Pros:

Microsoft Teams integrates with all our other software seamlessly. When you use tech you want it to be easy to use, straightforward, and fit for purpose. Teams does exactly that and works perfectly for the intended purpose, and a little bit more ;)

Cons:

I think that some of the additional features that Teams can offer, like document storage could be better advertised and explained. Most businesses have cloud-based storage solutions but if you could do it all in one place, which it does do, then it could be better explained. we didn't know it existed for a while, but I guess at first we wanted a video calling software and were simply focused don that, rather than what else can it do.

Daniel
Daniel
Innovation Coach in Germany
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Pretty good software with some unfortunate weak spots

Comments: We use it as an all-around communication software, and overall it works quite well (despite the minor hiccups described above). Thanks to wikis and planners we can even include some other elements of our collaboration structure in Teams, enabling us to get by with only two software systems: Teams for communications and Scoro for task and project management as well as CRM and billing.

Pros:

The basic functionality is quite good. It essentially does what it's supposed to do: It allows you to chat with team members. The direct chat option is pretty straightforward. The option of creating different teams (hence the name) to structure the group chats is quite conventient, because it adds another layer, making it three: Teams, channels, threads (within channels). Notifications are pretty reliable, mentions and activities in channels you follow are logged into an activity feed, which is quite useful. The part where Teams really shines though is the option to add other functions to a channel. The Wiki can be nice, although using it is sometimes a bit counter-intuitive. What's really helpful is the Planner, because it allows you to include kanban-like views of tasks (or other things). We actually use it less for tasks and more for ideas and backlogs of things for the entire team to review.

Cons:

One thing that bugs me is an issue that also came up with Slack: You sometimes miss notifications because, when you open the app, you automatically jump into the last channel (or chat) you where when closing it. When you actually want to go to some other place, you might leave the channel, leaving all notifications marked as "read" - but you might not even have noticed there was something new in them! I don't know how to solve this, I only know that it can be a problem. The real downside of Teams is, for me at least, the very limited possibility of your notifications. You can essentially turn them on or off for mentions, channels you follow, and chats. There are some other options, but they are all of the "all-or-nothing" type. I either get notifications (and therefore push notifications on my smartphone) for all mentions, or for none of them. Here, Slack has a much better system. The other thing is the mobile app. On Android, it's just not as reliable as it could be. Activating the "don't disturb" status, for example, does nothing. If I want to turn of push notifications, I need to that completely and manually. Sometimes, uploads don't work. And when I'm on the road, messages might not get through - but instead of sending them once I have a connection, it sits there with warning sign, waiting for me to resend it... kind of an archaic way of dealing with this issue.

Arturo
Developer in Spain
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Good software for team communication

Comments: overall it is a good software, capable for quick and easy meetings and lots of integration with Microsoft products.
Maybe it lacks some fancy features like the ones you can find in GoToMeeting, but Teams is already included in some Microsoft business packages, so no separated config needed.

Pros:

Teams aims to be a full communication software for developements teams. With this in mind, it includes both written and audio/video chat. Something nice about Teams it is that the written chat is not a secondary feature behind the audio/video meetings, but it is part of the main feature. It allows to create one-to-one chats, like a direct messaging software, but also allows to create team chats, group chats and so on. Is good to indicate that the teams can be defined as a different entity from the gropus and you can invite people from different teams to a same group, or maybe ivite a whole team to chat with some other people... it is very flexible regarding this. Another interesting feature is the posibility to share files within a chat, and that the files are stored to be downloaded at any time while the chat is not deleted. And you can check the files shared on a group by just clicking on a button. The same thing happens with the audio/video meetings. You can call a single person or several at a time. You can share screen to present something, request control of the presenter screen and also if using a Wacom tabled or a Microsoft Surface, you can share a whiteboard where every participant can draw. Beside this, the quality of the audio/video calls is just perfect when you've a good internet connection.

Cons:

It requires a very stable internet connection. Athough this is something common in video-conference software, with Teams is a bit extra problem since a network with ver little unstability causes the audio/video quality to drop too mucha and even kick you out of the meeting, after what you need to join again. The inexistance of a native Linux client is also a really big downside for me.

Janice
Product Support Specialist in US
Building Materials, 10,000+ Employees

Couldn't manage without it! A few areas need refining...

Comments: In a world where working remotely has become the norm, the need for platforms like Teams is vital! When my technical product support group was working in an office setting, we could walk over and ask colleagues for input while we had a customer on the phone line waiting for assistance. When working remotely, Teams allows us to very rapidly send out a question to our group and get instant feedback. We use it eight hours a day, every day. Teams also allows us to maintain some "relationships" even when we are in different locales. My manager calls it our "virtual aisleway", meaning we now do via Teams what we used to do at the office: chat in the aisle at work about business or personal life, just staying in tune with each other. I have found myself multiple times laughing out loud all by myself at my home office because my colleagues and I get involved in a light hearted Teams conversation about something off-topic. A little levity can go a long way in making one's office job a more pleasurable experience! And a happier employee is a more effective employee!

Pros:

Most of the tools and icons (e.g., "attach", "share screen", "add participants") in Teams are intuitive and universal, which is important. Most users jump in and learn by doing, not receiving any formal training. It is so helpful to be able to attach a photo of a customer's product concern in Teams so our technical product support group can view it and discuss it. It is also useful that one can search Team conversations by a particular keyword, so if you want to locate a conversation about a subject from prior weeks, you can. I don't know what we would do without the ability to phone each other through Teams! All day long, we make quick calls to each other, no cell phone needed! The steps are so simple: select a name, and click on the phone icon. We used to use a different group chat platform, but since Teams is the most up to date Microsoft collaboration product, it syncs seamlessly with all of our other Microsoft apps such as Outlook. For example, all of the Teams conversation and meeting information can be referred to in Outlook.

Cons:

When joining a Teams meeting, I always get tripped up by the screen that pops up. It asks how I want to join the meeting. Do I download the app, continue on the browser, or open an existing Teams app? Plus a separate window opens that says Open Microsoft Teams? This all confuses me. Can it not be detected how I always join my Teams meetings every day? Can it not detect that I already have downloaded an app? I would recommend that it be made more clear how to "Reply" to a group conversation. The key is to Reply within the same conversation thread! I can't tell you how many times colleagues type a reply to a thread in the New Conversation field rather than the Reply field. Then we have a very disjointed conversation going on. Perhaps Reply needs to be bold face or a different color? When changing your availability status, there are two statuses that are amber colored. One status is "be right back". The other status is "appear away". Why is there one status color for two different statuses? Finally, on a lighter note, I think more emoji choices are needed. We have a lot of fun batting conversations back and forth all day at work, and some additional emojis to convey our emotions would be helpful. I find myself using the "thumbs up" symbol all day long as a catch-all to say I agree, or I got your message, or Thank you, or That makes sense, or even You're welcome.

Chethan
Technology Lead in US

Review of Microsoft Teams

Comments: Microsoft Teams is a very good Knowledge Management tool with very nice Instant messaging and Collaboration features.

Pros:

Microsoft Teams is a very nice Instant messaging and collaboration software. Microsoft Teams is getting popular and many organizations have slowly started implementing the same. Microsoft Teams includes very nice features like Instant messenger which useful for the employees to chat with other co-employees within the same organization quickly and getting answers when needed. The other features are Calendar which allows the user to quickly schedule meetings, plan there schedules, Join the meetings with Audio & Video and also one can easily share their desktop or applications during the meetings. Microsoft teams also allows to have group conversations, get notifications on the chat messages, one can easily share screenshots or images during the conversation for quick clarifications, Wiki allows more than one person edit and update on the fly. One can also add the attachments required during the conversations. Microsoft Teams can be accessed through the software installed or using Browser to quickly join the meetings. One can also add other small applications within Microsoft Teams for better collaboration among the teams. Microsoft Teams also has a mobile app which allow the user to quickly join the meetings.

Cons:

Microsoft Teams though very popular also has few demerits. Microsoft Teams is a proprietary product and it is a paid tool. It also has limited free version but not preferred by organizations. There are issues like Audio disturbances and sometimes it take too much time to join the meeting as the application need to load initially. In big organizations there will be more than one Instant messenger and this can create confusion. Most companies already has Skype and have started with Microsoft Teams & both do not sync and update status during meetings.

Omar
Omar
Microsoft Teams: Organization on the Go in Mexico
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Microsoft Teams: Organization on the Go... sort of...

Comments: My experience is average at best. Aside from the fact that I absolutely hate the notifications sounds, the experience on sending and receiving messages has been reliable. Of course, the quality of every feature will change, depending on your device and Internet stability. So, make sure you're good to go with those two things, and it may be the most average experience on a software that does what it promises.

Pros:

After the departure of Windows Messenger, it has not been easy to find a perfect replacement. And Microsoft Teams is not your best choice. However, there are many features that are logically better and improved from any other software that works similarly. For example, if you are in a working or academic environment, you will definetely find it useful for communication, videocalls, screen sharing, and so on. I must also say that this particular software runs on almost any device, whether you use a computer, personal computer or even an Android device, you will be able to chat with your classmates, coworkers, family members or friends. Of course, the experience may vary, depending on your device and your Internet connection. So, Microsoft Teams is a reliable tool for communication, as long as you have a capable device and fast Internet connection.

Cons:

So far, the worst thing about this software is easily the notifications sounds. They are extremely annoying and the small windows that appear every single time you receive a message will surely fill up your entire screen in a matter of seconds before you open that specific conversation. You should be able to have a variety of sounds to choose from as well as more options for receiving notifications. It gets frustrating every time you get more that five messages at the same time, I mean, considering that this is a software for chatting, and at the end of the day, you don't want to receive any messages because those sounds are really irritating. Please, give us more options on that matter.

Jagdeep
Automation Test Engineer in India

Microsoft Teams User

Pros:

The most important features of this software is real time chat, online meeting, screen recording, file sharing. Our organization uses this software as a means of communication. It's very well supported on mobile application also. Apart from its regular use, I give online KT sessions to new joiners which enables me to record it and share with others. Oh Yes, here it is integrated with our SharePoint. I had been the part of our team when we were customizing this product for our needs. As soon as the meeting ends, a recording link is generated where the video is stored at our sharepoint space. Coming on to share files, I have almost shared files and documents with all extensions. Adding to this, I have shared zip folders also. Since it's a part of Microsoft Suite, it is readily integrated with other applications like outlook etc. The statuses of any person (Available, Busy, DND) can be easily tracked on the mail itself, provided the person has logged in to Teams also. You can communicate with people of other organizations also if they are using Microsoft Teams provided they should also use the same communication channel and both the organizations have enabled cross communication between organizations. While doing screen sharing, the participants can request control of the desktop, just like Anydesk. This gives Teams a cut above the others.

Cons:

The most irritating part is the tool bar while sharing screen during online meeting. There is no button in that tool bar with which I can disable it. This further makes very difficult to navigate to different tabs of the browsers. While giving demo of my code to PDO, I sometimes need to navigate to Jira tabs or to confluence documents, and this tool bar of Microsoft teams gets pinned there and as I mention again, there is no explicit button to disable it while screen sharing. This is the only drawback of Teams.