Skyward review

Reviewed on 20/01/2017
Teresa B.
counseling secretary
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This is my district's 7th year using Skyward. I am the counseling secretary in our high school and work in Student Management. I am also a security manager for our district. Honestly, when we made the transition to Skyward I was very unhappy. I didn't find Skyward to be very user friendly and I wasn't pleased with the customer support response time. Oftentimes I was unable to find a way to make Skyward do what I needed. However, as the years have passed, Skyward has made improvements to the program, I have learned the system better and the customer support live chat option is a huge timesaver. Now, I really enjoy using Skyward. I have the dubious distinction of being our district's "Skyward guru" and I believe I've learned a lot through exploration in my efforts to assist others. When I can't find answers, I know that help is only a live chat away! I would definitely recommend Skyward to other districts.

Pros: Possibly my favorite aspect of Skyward is the ability to dump data directly into Excel. This is a huge timesaver and allows me to manipulate, sort, share and utilize data as needed. I also like the ability to create reports based on my needs using Data Mining.

Cons: There are still a few things that I wish I could do in Skyward, that I can't, such as use activity groups to run certain reports/schedules. Occasionally, we experience what I call "Skyward quirks" when something doesn't work right one day, but it works the next. Recently, our library parapro ran a report and new that the info displayed wasn't wholly accurate. I checked her format and everything was good. I printed it with the same results. I cloned the report, changing nothing, and ran that and it was accurate. The next day her report worked properly again.

by Skyward on 20/01/2017

So glad we were able to grow together, Teresa, and turn a negative experience into such a positive one. Thank you for all you do to help your district get more out of Skyward.

Long-Time User

Reviewed on 16/01/2017
Jacque D.
Data Management Coordinator
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used Skyward for many years, so I have seen it evolve. I will tell you this; you get what you pay for. Skyward is top-of-the-line! It will not always be the least expensive software, but it is more than worth the cost!! The software definitely helps customers work smarter not harder. With many of us wearing different hats, we need to find all of the time-saving opportunities we can; Skyward makes that happen! Skyward has many ways to get to the same information, so the ease of use is really in the end-user's hands. There is a plethora of shortcuts that Skyward has provided for the end-user, so no need to get bogged down trying to find programs/areas. Their Customer Service is top-notch. I have never had an issue that was not solved in a timely manner. They are wonderful! I could go on and on where Skyward is concerned. I not only love the software, but I like that the fact that Cliff King and the entire company has a focus on nothing but schools. They are truly concerned about the customer feedback, and they use that to make the software better (although I think it's pretty close to perfect now)!

Pros: The flexibility and multiple ways to achieve the end results we are looking for.

Cons: None!

by Skyward on 16/01/2017

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jacque, and congratulations on your well-deserved recognition as a Leader in Excellence for 2017!

Student Management at your Fingertips

Reviewed on 29/05/2019
Carlos C.
Elementary School Secretary
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall my experience has been great. Without Skyward I would not be able to do my job as a school secretary and I am glad that so many schools are using. It does have a daunting learning curve but it's nothing that can't be overcome with time and patience.

Pros: Skyward's interface customization is great, giving users the ability to the display the data they need for their particular job. Almost every section, big or small, has a customize button you can use to turn settings on and off. As a result employee's have their own "Skyward" they can learn in and out. Another great thing I love about Skyward is how many reports you can run with it. If you need phone list for students of a particular grade then it can easily be generated. You can also see if someone else has already made that report and just clone it. Anything you need there's probably a report for it and if not it can be created relatively quickly.

Cons: Skyward has a quite large learning curve and without appropriate training it can easily overwhelm new users. It's not a program that can be self taught because some settings are hidden under several layers of menus. A new user would probably need about five or six hours of training to be able to be remotely competent with it. There are manuals and help guides available but I've found them to be hard to navigate.

by Skyward on 30/05/2019

Thanks for the great review, Carlos. We appreciate your feedback.

LOVE SKYWARD

Reviewed on 13/01/2017
Connie K.
Food & Nutrition Service Administrative Assistant
Facilities Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have always loved this program once I started using it (2001?), it was PAC back then.
Like everything in life, skyward needs some tweeks:) That is why you have four stars, also if you were to get five stars then we wouldn't need you anymore and believe me there are times I need your help. That all said, I work with Food Service, there are a few tips & tricks I would love to learn from you. I wish you offered a one-on-one quick tip sessions to sign up for.

Pros: Easy to use, can do multiple windows to jump from one area to another is huge!

Cons: Food Service application letter set up:(

by Skyward on 13/01/2017

Hi Connie, thank you so much for the kind words! It was a nice trip down memory lane to see your PaC reference. Regarding those quick "tips and tricks" training sessions, keep checking in at skyward.com/quickhits and skyward.com/academy for relevant training and resources. We're always looking to deliver a better experience, so you can be sure site visits and localized training sessions are things we are considering as we look to the future.

EXCELLENT SCHOOL SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 7/10/2019
Dena H.
ACCOUNTING CLERK
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have to keep detailed records on everything from students to the financial. This software does it all. It allows multiple people to see the same data and manipulate it, all while having secure separate log-ins. It keeps all the data, runs all reports and keeps logs of who has done what and when.

Pros: Skyward keeps all of the records and any information that you can possibly want to report, accessible at your fingertips.

Cons: The annual cost is a little much, not sure how it compares to other school softwares. It takes some training to use. If you know computers and how they work, it will be a snap. I did not find it very intuitive.

Awesome tool for teachers, students and parents

Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Leslie L.
Graduate Medical Education Resident Coordinator
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Up-to-date information about my child's progress in school, missing assignments, grades on tests and projects. Especially my for high school student, this info can be hard to get from them and so many times you do not know about issues until it is too late. I open Skyward every night at the dinner table and we talk about grades, upcoming exams and papers. She knows I am looking and it helps her to stay on task.

Pros: There are so many functions in one place. Check grades, missing assignments, email teachers, lunch calendar, etc. Multiple children in a family can be easily accessed together.

Cons: When emailing a parent/teacher, they cannot respond back directly. I wish they could. It would make the line of communication more direct. But, at least they can read the message and respond back by another means.

by Skyward on 23/03/2018

Thanks so much for the kind words, Leslie! Regarding the con, there is an option in the message center to enable direct replies. You may want to talk to your Skyward administrator about turning that on if it would be beneficial.

Responsive company with top notch software

Reviewed on 20/01/2017
Scott H.
Database Support Specialist
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Skyward has been our SIS for 10 years now and while many districts have switched SIS systems every few years, we have remained happy customers. The main reason for this happiness? The company is very responsive to the input from their customers. Because of being responsive to that input, Skyward has been able to create an extremely flexible system that allows for many different scenarios for how schools operate. The future is bright, and we know even more great things are coming from the company.

Pros: Flexibility and the frequency of updates to the software

Cons: Navigation can be burdensome for those who have system-wide security access. This is just due to the amount of features that are available, but not much of a problem for end users as they only have access to what they actually need.

by Skyward on 27/01/2017

Thanks so much, Scott! We promise not to settle for mediocrity in anything and we're thankful for all the insights from you and the rest of the Skyward community.

I am parent user for this program and I find it to be easy to use and easy to understand.

Reviewed on 8/03/2018
Crystal G.
Special Education Teacher
Customer Support

Pros: I like that I can choose how I want my screen to look and can choose the information presented. I am able to toggle between all of the different pages easily and efficiently. I can access my child's information st the click of a finger. Additionally, I can access pertinent school and district information. I prefer this program to PowerSchool, as a parent user. I have access to more information faster and easier.

Cons: I have had no real problems with this program so far. It has served my needs as a parent. I only struggled with the initial login, due to a bit of s glitch in the system, but that was all worked out.

by Skyward on 19/03/2018

Thanks for the positive review, Crystal. We're so happy you are enjoying a better experience with Skyward!

I LOVE SKYWARD

Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Kolby R.
Assistant Director
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, when my children graduate, I will have a hard time adjusting to not using it anymore. It has kept me on top of their education and I will recommend that all parents who have access please use it.

Pros: I love everything about Skyward. My school district has everything linked and when teachers use it to its full potential it is helpful to a parent that has multiple students to check on and communicate updates about. It has been the one thing that has kept me in contact with teachers over the years of using it.

Cons: There are few if any things I do not like about the software. I appreciate that it can be easily navigated.

Top of the Line

Reviewed on 13/01/2017
Davida P.
Data & Applictions System Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I always describe Skyward as a top of the line SIS. Skyward has been wonderful to work with and an asset to our district. We love giving our staff one stop shopping for data. We also know our parents and students have come to rely on Family/Student Access for up-to-date information. We find the system easy to use and has features and functionality that is always on the cutting edge.

Pros: Very easy to use for all levels. Skyward holds an abundant amount of data so we can use it in my areas in the school district.

Cons: There is sometimes a longer wait then expected to hear from customer service.

by Skyward on 13/01/2017

Hi Davida, thank you for the kind words and for all the amazing things you are doing in Walled Lake! We'll keep working to deliver a better experience both in the product and in the support we offer for it.

Patti St. Charles High School

Reviewed on 24/02/2017
Patti D.
Secretary
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: When my district converted to Skyward, some of the training sessions were not as informative as we would have liked. Now that we are a few years into using the software, most of us have come to appreciate all that can be done. It continues to be a learning process. Many of the "features & functions" are real time savers.

Pros: Reports that are time savers.

Cons: Some settings are at deep levels that are difficult to find and use.

by Skyward on 24/02/2017

Glad to hear you're saving time with Skyward, Patti! We have a number of training and development resources available that might help with the learning curve. Check out https://www.skyward.com/discover/educator-newsletter-blog/july-2015/know-your-skyward-training-options

The Sky is the limit with Skyward

Reviewed on 18/09/2018
Amanda H.
Cafeteria Mananger
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Skyward School Management has been a very positive change for our district. We switched a couple of years ago and since then it is easier for us to manage debt on lunch accounts and easier for me as a parent to stay on top of things like this.

Pros: I like how easily accessible Skyward is for parents to keep track of student expenses. Not only can parents easily add money to and watch student's lunch accounts, they can also easily pay fees online and very quickly. In a matter of seconds, I am able to add lunch money to my child's lunch account.

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about this software.

by Skyward on 20/09/2018

Thanks for the kind words, Amanda! We're more than happy to help.

Excellent program for student management

Reviewed on 30/01/2019
Kate C.
Media Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am not the secretary at our school, so I don't get into as much detail with this software as she does, however I do use Skyward on a daily basis. For the information I need about students, this program works very well for me. I am pleased with the organization of information.

Pros: The organization of this software is something I really like. I can get on the program without having too much user knowledge and find what I am looking for. I think it has a wonderful array of information options for our students' profiles. This is a user friendly software.

Cons: I use this software every day and for the level of use, I don't have any negative issues.

A Decent SIS For The Money

Reviewed on 17/02/2019
Technology Integration Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall the Skyward system lets us do the things we need to do with student data. This information is very invaluable to our district so the system is used heavily. It does what it advertises.

Pros: The Skyward system allows our corporation to enroll and schedule students with ease. The reporting feature has been invaluable to my own job. There are so many facets to this software that you can do just about anything.

Cons: The user interface is somewhat outdated. They released a more web friendly version a while back but it had the same problems. In a world of student information systems though, it is on par with most other ones.

Skyward is a very easy and comprehensive system for school districts.

Reviewed on 18/07/2017
Jeffrey L.
HR Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It took an old outdated system that was previously used and brought the school district back into the modern age.

Pros: There is a lot that can be accomplished through Skyward. You can track students, finance, and human resource functions. Each module is very easy to use and they are willing to work with you to assist in making changes and upgrades to their products.

Cons: Sometimes the functionality is a little rough, but the programmers have been making constant upgrades to the system and new updates come out all the time.

by Skyward on 18/07/2017

Thanks so much, Jeffrey. We appreciate your advocacy and promise to keep working toward a better experience every time.

Generally good software to manage student information.

Reviewed on 1/02/2018
Chad M.
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
Customer Support

Pros: It has a comprehensive set of features that allow student management. From the teacher side the data is fairly easy to view and input of the gradebook and attendance is relatively easy.

Cons: It is somewhat difficult to learn. There are many variables that can confuse teachers in creating gradebooks and in accessing information. The reports are not particularly intuitive to use.

by Skyward on 2/02/2018

Thanks for the kind words, Chad! If you ever find yourself helping new teachers learn the system, we have some resources available at https://www.skyward.com/support/quick-hits/teacher and https://www.skyward.com/teachers.

Makes life easy

Reviewed on 15/09/2019
Michael D.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Skyward has made all educational logistics easy. The mobile app included.

Pros: I like most that Skyward is a developed system that anticipates common classroom scenarios. I like that I can pull up photo class charts and click on pictures to access student information. I like that I can send messages to multiple classes at once and schedule the send time.

Cons: I like least that there is a proposed and an actual due date options. I don't understand why I need to fill out both for assignment due dates.

Skyward in the Classroom

Reviewed on 9/12/2018
Megan R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used Skyward for three years and I think it's unexpectedly been unavailable less than five times and it is restored quickly. It syncs with our online platform which helps with grading.

Pros: Skyward is organized and user friendly. I also like how there is an app available that allows teachers to enter grades on their cell phone (I am an Apple user). Skyward has been dependable and my middle school students and their parents can navigate it.

Cons: Skyward will open a new window when taking attendance and entering grades which can be frustrating at times.

Teacher's Life made easy

Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Mary M.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall Skyward is a great tool for teachers to track everything they need to in a classroom. I like that I can keep all of my information in one easy place.

Pros: Skyward to a great way to keep track and manage many different parts of being a classroom teacher. I am able to use it for grading, absences, accommodations , scheduling and getting information about a student.

Cons: Sometimes I find it hard to access the messaging center. I would like there to be a quick button available to allow contact with the parents about the progress of my students.

Many Tools to Collect and Share Data

Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Cathy W.
teacher
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been utilizing Skyward for over 10 years and find it a useful tool in managing student performance data, as well as attendance information. Data is stored and may be easily retrieved for years. Reports are easily compiled and may easily be modified by student or entire class.

Pros: What I like most about Skyward is that it offers many types of reports that can be printed out or shared online. Data can be accessed by parents any time of day and they are able to ask questions through the program.

Cons: I haven't found a need that is not met by this software.

A Teacher's Review of Student Management by Skyward

Reviewed on 11/02/2019
Nolan W.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, the experience that I have had has been very positive. I was able to figure out most issues within a matter of a minute or two and, when I had a bigger issue, customer support was able to fix it fairly quick.

Pros: Being able to easily manage assignments and attendance is extremely valuable to any teacher. Being able to easily pick up on the software that your school corporation is using is even better.

Cons: There are some confusing aspects at first but, with a little use, the average person will figure out most details with ease.

Skyward is the backbone of many school districts

Reviewed on 12/06/2019
Stacey R.
First Grade Teacher
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used this program as a parent and as a teacher. As a teacher it is fabulous. As a parent I have struggled with the program going back to the log in screen. Other than that I know my child's information is safe and secure on this site.

Pros: This program is very safe and secure. Many large school districts trust this program for student and parent information.

Cons: I have struggled some as a parent when I try to scroll down to view more information about my child's grades I will be sent back to the log in screen.

I can keep track of children and how they are doing in school.

Reviewed on 10/01/2018
Amanda Y.
Owner/Teacher
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Keeping up with my children school progress.

Pros: I love being able to log in and see how my child is doing in high school by each class. You can see missing assignments, test scores and quizzes. The teachers and the school can also contact me through skyward.

Cons: It can be confusing to use when you first start using it, but it gets easier and easier the more you use it.

by Skyward on 15/01/2018

Thanks so much for the kind review, Amanda. We're happy to see you're getting the most out of Family Access!

Convenient student report access!

Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Blogger
Online Media, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very good. I'm up to date on my child's progress on a daily basis.

Pros: This is a fantastic way to keep abreast of your child's grades with individual test breakups and overall grade average with the allowance for teachers to add notes for the parents if needed. Also provides a way to email and contact the teacher.

Cons: There's nothing I don't like about the software. Overall great communication tool between a teacher and student's parents.

Skyward for managing student grades.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Aly A.
Student
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Skyward is very good. It could use a better calendar but other than that very good.

Pros: Skyward has a simple interface and is easy to navigate. It auto signs out in case of in-activity which prevents others from viewing your account.

Cons: The calendar design doesn't help view tasks and often times it won't sync with other school managing apps.

by Skyward on 28/08/2019

Thank you so much for the review Aly. We'll be sure to pall along your comments regarding the calendar to our user experience team.