ShipStation Reviews

• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.5 /5

About ShipStation

Shipping & order web app connected to 150+ carriers, marketplaces/shopping carts & more. Automate tasks & batch print labels with ease.

Learn more about ShipStation

David k A.
Founder & Partner
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2018

"Test your shipping software - they're not all made the same"

Comments: I moved from Stamps.com and cut my shipping and customer service time by 80%. I adopted this software at ~15 packages per day because it was more expensive than Stamps.com. Bad move!!! Pay extra for ShipStation from the start.

Pros: I've used ShipStation, ShippingEasy, ShipWorks, Stamps.com, Ordoro, and SolidCommerce with a few clients. My two favorite are ShipStation and ShippingEasy. They both have different strengths - sweat the small stuff because it really makes a difference if you're shipping 200+ packages a day. It's worth using two or more systems and then picking the best. The time spent is worth the effort. I use ShipStation for managing the shipping and customer service from my website, Amazon, Walmart, Jet, Ebay, and Etsy. The application is rock solid. Creating manual orders is simple, as is importing orders and combining shipments. I like that I can place orders on hold and setup future shipments. Other vendors like ShippingEasy cannot do this (yet). We get a fair number or orders that have a bad address and we're able to put orders on hold until we hear back from the customer. This shipping rules and kitting options are fairly robust. It is easy to identify return customers (this is something not done well by other platforms). The UI is very buttoned-up. ShipStation also has a superior "Search Customers" function that will search on 3 and 4 part names, city, state... Some of the other vendors fail here. Having good search reduces customer service time.

Cons: There are some things that ShippingEasy does better - e.g. they're a single page application and that means that the interface is super fast. ShipStation is slower as you mover around in the interface. I wish that ShipStation could manage my inventory across marketplaces and I'm in love with how some of the other vendors solicit reviews using marketing/email automation. I hope someday that vendors like ShipStation will also connect to Auth.net or Stripe.com so that we can Auth and Settle New Manual Orders. It takes a bit longer to learn ShipStation but if you're running a larger/complicated business you'll come to appreciate the power that comes with the complexity.

• Reviewed on 15/03/2018
Kay B.
  • Reviewed on 5/03/2021

"Not Worth The Price"

Comments: It was not a good experience at all. Customer service is friendly; but clueless on how their own software works. I asked how to get packing slips that do not show a price and was told I had to know how to code to do that. To which I just laughed. I said there has to be a box you uncheck somewhere. Then I found it while I had customer service on the phone. He was shocked. He had no clue and really thought you had to use HTML to have packing slips that don't show a price. Ridiculous.

Pros: I really did like the pick lists. I also liked the automatic fill in for stuff you ship a lot.

Cons: This software is not at all user intuitive. To try to find a previously shipped package is almost impossible. Even if you just shipped it that day. Packing slips are awful too. Reports are a mess. Its give you more un useful info than useful.

• Reviewed on 5/03/2021
Nick J.
  • Reviewed on 9/01/2021

"Making Life Easy"

Comments: We are very happy with the software we just wish the integration with Lightspeed POS was a little better.

Pros: We have two small retail stores with most of our owners and employees' time dedicated to servicing those in-store customers and providing great experiences for everyone who walks through the door. Shipstation allowed us to open up our online store and divert minimal time to fulfilling the rush of orders we received from our website. During the Covid 19 Pandemic this website with the Shipstation software helped us to keep the doors open.

Cons: Integration with our Point of Sale Solution is not perfect and could be improved significantly.

• Reviewed on 9/01/2021
Terry J.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2018

"An absolute staple for any e-commerce business."

Comments: After trying just about everything else out there, Shipstation is as close to a perfect solution as you'll find. It helped me save over an hour each day, time that I was then able to spend on actually growing my business. It was a stretch to think of anything I didn't like - which speaks volumes about the software.

Pros: Integration with most major platforms and channels - it communicates back and forth between your Shopify, Amazon, eBay, etc. accounts to mark orders shipped and email the customer.
Discounted shipping labels - The subscription pays for itself with how inexpensive the labels are.
Automated tracking emails - create your own template and look the part of other major e-commerce stores.

Cons: Can get a little confusing when dealing with international shipments but their support team is definitely top notch and can help you sort out the issues quickly.

• Reviewed on 22/06/2018
Andrea S.
Inventory Specialist
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2017

"We use ShipStation to track all of the orders that happen both on marketplaces and retail shops."

Comments: The benefits we get from this software are the ability to assign rules to each SKU that help determine where the product will be shipped from and which carrier to use. I also like that we can sync it with Finale to automatically deducted quantity for our warehouse.

Pros: I like that we can add rules and functions to certain SKU's to decide were a part will ship from. This helps substantially so that when an order is placed certain rules pop up to show us where we want to ship a product.

Cons: I dislike the format the Product Sales report is exported in. I would prefer that there weren't any cells merging or blank rows because that messes me up with I'm trying to filter for certain things. I think it would be better to have the Store category next to the SKU in it's own separate column rather than on 1 row as a header.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Viktor G.
Co-founder, VP of Operations
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018

"Wonderful platform, though could be improved with many common sense and quality of life improvements"

Comments: Daily shipping - absolutely, absolutely, crucial to my business

Pros: -Amazing bulk processing features
-Strong integration with marketplaces, passing along tracking information
-Access to great rates if not a volume shipper
-Great features for making sense of shipments

Cons: -Nonsensical separation of externally-generated shipments and platform-generated shipments. The distinction is important, though no point in limiting reporting functionality for one over the other as there is no fundamental difference
-Order-specific activity archive is very short(2 months) - hope to improve this in the future
-Many common-sense features need implementation or improvement upon, though support elects to create features based on votes and not to improve quality of life

• Reviewed on 15/05/2018
Scott H.
Owner/Operator
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2019

"Shipstation is Easy to Use"

Pros: Easy to use. We love how we can see pictures of the item sold inside the customer's order information. Also good that we can change a customer's shipping address if it's incorrect. The sales charts are helpful. It's easy on the eyes. Easy for people who have basic computer skills. Their customer support has always been good. We get on the "chat" thingy and they're very helpful and easy to understand.

Cons: Hopefully the monthly price will go down some. EBay keeps trying to get us to use their shipping service because it's free, which is very tempting, but eBay's shipping service doesn't have some of the features that Shipstation has yet, so we're sticking with Shipstation.

• Reviewed on 12/05/2019
Kelli S.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2020

"ShipStation a must for e-Commerce!"

Comments: I am very pleased with the service. I used the USPS last year, but with all of the difficulties they have had this year, I moved to UPS. I had my own account with UPS but found that ShipStation has a much better rate than I could get. Very happy to be shipping with UPS again since they are a hometown WorldShip location and my shipments were all on time this holiday season! Other Gift Basket folks using USPS or FedEx did not have the same experience.

Pros: I love the ease of use for my daily shipping needs. I primarily use UPS since I am in the same town as the WorldShip, but it also allows me to check other shipper options. It's easy to link to your e-Commerce site and pulls in all of your orders. I also linked it to my thermal printer and scale easily, so it is a breeze to use.

Cons: The initial set up on the email templates was a bit rocky, but I think that was my own fault for not knowing to edit those up front. I also found their videos after getting the software. Maybe make that a little more prevalent once someone signs up to ease them into the set up.

• Reviewed on 31/12/2020
Robert D.
Co-Founder
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2019

"Difficult to imagine running a remote fulfillment center without Shipstation"

Comments: I find that Shipstation has a very large learning curve. It takes time to train folks on it. However, as the title of my review suggests, I'd truly have a hard time envision running our fulfillment center remotely like we do.

Pros: I love the "combine orders" feature, along with the ability to quickly quote multiple carriers (shipping services)

Cons: Unfortunately, over time we discovered that we were actually paying for a higher rate with USPS for cubic pricing than we received through Shopify. This might not seem like a lot but when we offer free shipping, it's actually a significant problem.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2019
Mike S.
Founder/CEO
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2020

"Very happy with ShipStation"

Comments: Can't believe this, but I've been using ShipStation since early 2012 (nearly 9 years)! In fact, I built the original integrations between ShipStation and Ecwid, WooCommerce, and our custom shopping cart Lemonstand. Great experience overall, and it would be the first platform I'd recommend to someone looking for a shipping software.

Pros: Honestly, it just works and makes generating shipping labels a snap.

Cons: Nothing comes to mind regarding the software. I would like to see real-time chat support return. Don't like having to email support and not know when we'll receive a reply.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2020
Austin S.
Supply Chain Manager
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2020

"We save thousands of dollars every month and hours in time with shipstation"

Comments: Very pleased. It is extremely easy to use, convenient, integrates well and saves us time and money

Pros: I love being able to compare all of the carriers easily to see different rates for different packages. In working with this software I have really been able to hone in on different cost savings just by adjusting how I package items. I love how it integrates with ebay, our website and other platforms

Cons: I don't love the price, but I also cant complain because we save more money in time and efficiency than we would without this software

• Reviewed on 30/09/2020
Khaled T.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2016

"Only way to ship."

Comments: Hands down the best shipping managing program I've ever used. I get to sync numerous stores in just one account, it's simply amazing. Majority of stores are included but if not it's totally easy to set up with the API.

Pros: Cheap shipping rates
Easy to print and customize labels
Sync stores without risk of getting banned (if you have more than one eBay store etc).
Easy to track packages and cancel labels if printed by accident.

Cons: Not able to switch easily between accounts.
No phone (iOS) notifications when a order comes in.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2016
Geoff G.
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2018

"Use this to integrate my selling platforms into one shipping system"

Pros: This shipping system makes my life much easier. I can use the Order display as a working window for what needs made and filled. The formatting for the printed labels allows me to brand differently per sales channel. The default shipping profiles make my life a lot easier in not having to setup each shipment. I just click label and everything prints out as I need it.

Cons: There is a setup time associated with it and it did take the development team a month or two to finally integrate with one of my channels. The results are awesome, but it can take a while to fine tune the system and find all the particular settings needed to get the desired results.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2018
Rene S.
IT Manager
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2020

"One of the best shipping softwares"

Comments: We've been using ship station to ship our web and wholesale orders to our customers. Everything is amazing.

Pros: I like everything about ship station, it integrates with multiple sales channels including shopify, amazon and woocommerce. You can generate reports from raw data that give you visibility of how you are performing, from sales to qty sold/ship , taxes, profits, etc. It lets you create shipping labels that generate real time rates from the selected shipping service.

Cons: I believe ship station has everything you need, if it was up to me, I would just add more reports instead of having to export data to excel and build them yourself.

• Reviewed on 12/05/2020
Warehousing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/04/2019

"Very easy to use"

Pros: Optimized user interface. Setting up is very easy. Customer service for the higher tier is great and can fix issues as needed. Updates often except during the peak seasons. Has a forum for possible new fixes to add new features to the software.

Cons: Customer service is not 24 hours. A new update comes to the software and changes the flow of work for everyone not just for one company. Limited functions for scanning at the time i started using it.

• Reviewed on 2/04/2019
Stephanie S.
Marketing Coordinator
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2016

"Shipstation for the Win!"

Comments: Our company sells product across 3 different platforms and as we rapidly grew we needed a central place to process shipments so that we didn't miss any and didn't have to check multiple websites every day. In addition, we would often ship with different carriers based on location and pricing. Shipstation provide a quick and easy solution to meet our needs! We were able to integrate it right away with an onboard specialist who walked us through. It's extremely intuitive and user-friendly and has allowed us to speed up our ship times while cutting down on the amount of work our office staff has to do to process the order. We love this product!

Pros: Very user-friendly. Can easily select different carriers to check pricing. Integrates with multiple platforms like amazon and etsy.

Cons: It's hard to print multiple tickets for the same shipment without processing individually.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2016
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2018

"A lot of functionality that is useful for having multiple stores connected."

Pros: Shipstation is a software with a lot of features and built in functionality that makes it a top contender in the shipping software world. It is easy to manage multiple different stores/companies and ship with ease.

Cons: The inventory tracking is lacking. I would not recommend Ship Station for keeping track of your inventory or customers inventory as we have had issues as well as issues with warehouse locations not showing up on pick slips. Another downfall we have had with Ship Station in time lag. It seems to run extremely slow if we have more than 3,000 shipments in the software waiting to be sent.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2018
Kerrie M.
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2018

"ShipStation changed the game for us!!"

Pros: ShipStation is easy to use, and can support multiple carriers if you use more then one. I love the chat option to get quick answers. Before ShipStation, it took us one business day to create the shipments, now were down to a few hours.

Cons: I know its against your user agreement, however the only reason I would change ShipStation for a similar program is because at the volume of orders we create per day, I would like to add our carriers and have shipstation have an algorithm that can be created by a rule, that would automatically select the carrier with the cheapest rates per order.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2018
Ron W.
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2018

"Best shipping software out there"

Pros: Simplifies everything shipping related. While I wish it had a couple of features it doesn't, it is still head and shoulders above anything else I have used (odoro, shippo, ship easy).

Cons: I wish you could edit orders - when a customer cancels an item in shopify, you can't remove it from the order in shipstation, you just have to add a note and hope the packer sees it.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Production Manager
Retail
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2018

"An easy solution to a big headache!"

Pros: Shipping products can be a logistics nightmare for small to medium size business. ShipStation provided an easy means to track my shipments and remove them from inventory quickly.

Cons: ShipStation could be more intuitive to use. It also lacks substantial reporting options. I would prefer to be able to dig into my sales data on this platform.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2018
Matthew Z.
CIO
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/06/2017

"Excellent Option for those looking to speed up shipping."

Comments: If you're looking to speed up your shipping service then this is an excellent choice. Prices are reasonable and there are so many integrations it is more than likely that you'll be able to use it with your marketplace. After you set up automated rules and product information, all it really takes is several minutes to get all the labels you need to be printed. Integration with order fulfillment/warehouse management software also allows you to print labels after picking and packing so you can avoid shipping canceled orders.

Pros: -Online Interface
-Tons of integrations with both marketplaces and other business software.
-Can contain product information
-Support for multiple SKU aliases on a single product
-Support for nearly all shipping channels.
-Chat Support
-Automated rules

Cons: While ShipStation does have many functions, there are a lot that still need to be improved upon.
You cannot "delete" products, merely deactivate them.
There is a limit to how much you can customize labels.
When importing products from eBay weight and dimensions not imported, this is particularly annoying when you have many products.

• Reviewed on 9/06/2017
Stephen O.
owner/farmer
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2021

"Great product but nonexistent customer servicet"

Pros: It is incredibly helpful when all is well and is a major benefit to businesses that ship.

Cons: I pay for "Silver service" which boasts "Live Chat support". There is no live chat support actually and we have submitted tickets via email that have gone unanswered for weeks. This dramatically impacts our business. What could take potentially minutes to sort out with tech support could feasibly cost us thousands of dollars in lost revenue. Customer support is immediately there for on-boarding new clients....but is entirely absent when it comes to upholding promises of live support, or sustaining proper functioning of customer accounts.
I get that times are tough and some delays can be expected, but to promise live chat support and then not respond for weeks on end just feels like negligence at this point. Just because its more profitable to focus on new accounts than it is to help existing customers doesn't mean its the right thing to do.  Please reallocate some resources to uphold your promise to provide customer service.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2021
Matt E.
Wholesale Brand Ambassador
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2019

"Shipstation Breakdown"

Comments: I would and have recommended this to other friends and colleges. Make operations so much easier!

Pros: Love the ease and simplicity of using Shipstation. Everything is in one place, right where you need it!

Cons: Shipstation has a lot of features so it could take some time to understand it all with all of it's functions.

• Reviewed on 11/09/2019
Robin S.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2017

"Poor for international shipping."

Comments: Saves copying addresses out of Magento by hand.

Pros: Remote label printing works well. Does work with non-US based UPS accounts. Web based ... that's about it really.

Cons: Struggles with international shipments. Shipstation does not support multi-currency, so if you have more than one sales currency, you are hosed. Shipstation does not support shipping to any country that needs a special customs declaration (like NAFTA statement on US->Canada shipping) so for many countries, you will need to do a manual UPS shipment. Shipstation uses pounds or GRAMMES ... very few stores ship in grammes, mostly kg, which Shipstation does not support, so imported weights are always wrong. Does not support international returns. No "rule set" for allocating different countries/services to different carrier services ... etc etc You cannot easily see which shipments are attached to an order. Having printed a label in "orders" you cannot then print a packing slip afterwards, you have to do packing slip then label. Cannot easily print a UPS return label on the thermal printer .. can only email or download ... theres a workaround, but it's non-obvious. The multi-currency and customs failings are a pain for us :(

• Reviewed on 14/08/2017
Courtney C.
Solution Architect
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2017

"When Time Is Money"

Pros: As an experienced seller, I knew the ins and outs of my shipping options like the back of my hand. I never even thought to give ShipStation a second look because I didn't understand the value or why I would pay for a service offered for free by most online retail venues. What a mistake! Without being too dramatic, Shipstation saves me HOURS each week (anyone who has ever had to use the Amazon shipping portal can sympathize with this!) I was also not a stamps.com member before and I was shocked that the prices ARE lower than just the commercial discount given by Etsy, Amazon, and PayPal. I'm so looking forward to this upcoming holiday season and being able to batch print labels unlike last year where I had to click through 3 windows for every.single.package.

Cons: Often loses connectivity with my Dymo label printer. Doesn't allow user to be logged into multiple devices (I have a desktop for business work, and a computer at my packing station).

• Reviewed on 28/08/2017