Filter by:

• Overall

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Showing 3,974 reviews

Narasimhan (nari) S.
Narasimhan (nari) S.
Chemical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

5 2 years ago

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros:

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons:

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

Matthew G.
COO in Canada
Computer Software

Preference really depends on how and when you entered the market

Pros:

They concentrated on the enterprise first, which is valid. Therefore security has always been tight, platform support is solid, and enterprise administration is very robust. Shared folders are great in a workplace and make everything very simple to get the right docs to the right people when they need them. Box is definitely an enterprise company, with the support to back up that claim.

Cons:

I should start by saying I tried Box, Dropbox, and Drive head-to-head back when everyone was going to cloud-storage and my experience with Box since then has been on and off. I'm still a current user of Drive and Dropbox and I pay for both every month. Our office doesn't need the level of admin support Box provides, which is the only feature that puts it ahead of the competition. Box was just never as feature complete as Dropbox, I don't want a separate cloud storage provider for business and for home use and Box lacked simple tools like automatic photo upload. As well, the web interface lacks and the uploads feel slower and more prone to error when compared to Dropbox. It's improved lately but it's still behind in file viewing support, etc. Also paid users have a max file size!!! Unacceptable if you do any sort of video/graphics work.

Sefayet U.
Sefayet U.
Civil engineer in Bangladesh
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees

Great document storage and secure document sharing to team member

4 7 months ago

Comments: With awesome interface, easier use option, mobile friendly app, I can access from anywhere. and share my document to anyone. Large files can be share with ease, In my opinion Box is very organized and their support provides very quick response

Pros:

To store Large file, Box provide full support. Box can easily store large file, i can easily share that files to team member. As a Civil engineer my job was to follow drawing of building and need to share that to my whole team, requires secure sharing platform with good storage capacity. Box fulfill my criteria. their mobile version gives me good pace in my job sector.

Cons:

I feel like some time, some document takes extra time to display. preview option also have same kind of problem.

Michael W.
President in US
Publishing, 11-50 Employees

Can't imagine running our business without Box

5 9 months ago

Comments: We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros:

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons:

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Director in Greece
Translation & Localisation, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

5 11 months ago

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Staci T.
Social Media Manager in US

The best cloud storage on the web!

5 2 years ago

Comments: One of the best continual investments we've made with the company. This platform has single-handedly help us acquire new clients and projects, thus increasing the bottom line.

Pros:

This is the most robust cloud storage platform on the web. Having been a client for over 10 years, there has been continued improvement to accessibility and security from the company. The ease of accessing files and sharing with others is second to none.

Cons:

Absolutely nothing was below par. We love it and continually use it daily. Even the mobile app is fantastic!

Bob F.
Manager, Cloud Technology Support in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Solid enterprise tool with surprising productivity and innovation gains

5 5 years ago

Comments: I run Box for over 100K users in a large university. Box is built for the enterprise. It has very solid security, good user management and an extremely small support footprint. There are consumer tools that might beat Box on some individual features, but cannot hold a candle to Box when held up to the needs and realities of a large enterprise. Box is platform and vendor agnostic. It has solid mobile apps and 3rd party integrations. The API is strong and improving all the time. Box can be the content layer for both internal and externally-facing applications. We signed on to Box to bring our IP back in from consumer tools. It has largely accomplished that but it has additional surprising results. We've seen some very creative innovations in research collaboration, teaching and administration. The productivity gains have been far greater than expected. Box is a bit of a paradigm shift for users. Those who never ventured into consumer cloud tools such as Dropbox need to learn about basic cloud concepts of where their data is backed up. IT professionals need to get their heads around Box's permission model as well as deal with the loss of direct user management and support. Having said that, the overall support footprint is startling low. We average 5 technical tickets a week on Box for over 100K users. Most of our support time is on training and consulting to help users get the most out of the tools Box provides. The bottom line is that Box has proven to be very solid and flexible. Our users have really taken it and run with it.

Pros:

Strong security. Data ownership model. Flexibility of collaboration and sharing options. Platform and vendor agnostic. Good administrative controls. Reasonably good reporting. Reasonably good APIs. Ease of use for end users. It's been great watching the creativity and innovation of the users. They've found ways to do things with Box we never imagined when we signed on.

Cons:

The desktop sync is different than and technically inferior to that of Dropbox, the consumer tool most users are familiar with in this space. We anticipate this change when Box for Desktop is released in 2017. We'd also like to see the maximum file size increase. I'd like to see improvements in the administrative reporting. Many users have trouble getting their head around Box's waterfall permission model, particularly IT professionals. It's different than what they are used to. It ads an impediment to the retirement of NFS.

Anthony R.
Senior Analyst in US
Utilities, 11-50 Employees

Box- A Business Solution For Storing & Retrieving Important Documents

5 2 years ago

Comments: Box has been a great solution in my workplace for storing and retrieving important business related documents. As a contract analyst, I would frequently use the software to download stored regulatory documents and check to see if there were recent changes to the terms in our existing contracts. Being an energy business we service both electric & gas customers in multiple different states. Because of Box, it was easy to check on the status of these contracts on both a commodity and state level. If all this information was on a stored system drive instead, we would be bogging down the system because of all the storage usage. Since Box stores these documents on their secured server, it alleviates the need to use precious resources that can be utilized elsewhere by providing you with the additional storage space. Overall, I am very happy with Box and have no complaints about the software as it fully met my needs whenever I had to use it.

Pros:

Box offers a centralized hub that allows users to effectively and efficiently sort through important documents for your organization. The ability to create separate folders makes it easy to organize documents on a departmental or functional basis. Sub-folders can also be created to further sort documents into the existing folder. Downloading a stored document is simple and seamless, allowing users across the organization to have quick and easy access to important files. Uploading a new file is just as simple, and only involves browsing through your files to attach it and adding a few descriptors. The software is password locked, meaning it is a secure option for those looking to protect sensitive business information. There are also features that indicate the version history of a document, so you can make others aware of important changes if a document needs to be edited or updated. Additionally, there are permissions which will allow you to customize who can view and access certain documents.

Cons:

The only complaint I have about the software would be that I wasn't able to view previous versions of updated documents. Sometimes I would need to compare previous versions of contracts and I'd find these missing when the document was updated. However, I'm unsure if this was due to the software itself or a configuration set by someone else inside my organization.

Sr. Business Analyst in Mexico
Medical Devices, 5,001-10,000 Employees

The best library app for manuals, documents and eBooks

5 2 years ago

Comments: My first experience with Box, was personal someone shared me some maintenance tips for my bike, and then she opened the app on her smartphone. She showed me the documents that she had found from different vendors and even some others she made, and then she asked me if she could share them with me. In a few seconds I opened my account with box, and I was reading the information that she gathered for months. At that moment it hit me that I could use this app, for my working team.

Pros:

One of the biggest challenges that I face every time a new device is released for evaluation, is to gather together all the manuals, specifications, errata, etc. And then share it with all the team. There are many solutions on the cloud to this dilemma. Most of them involve using your computer, but when you want to use your tablet or smartphone, the best solution that I found with box. I can have several shared folders with the different projects I am running, even personal information for fixing my bike, or ar recipe. It's effortless to navigate, read, highlight, and the app runs very smoothly. Most of my documents are in ePub, or in pdf format. I have a huge personal library at my fingertips that I can sort, navigate and read.

Cons:

After 30 years of working in front of a monitor computer, I can't work for long periods of time in front of a screen with a white background. I will love that they soon upgrade the app to work with a dark background. Other than that I love this app as it is.

Firm Technical Specialist in US
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees

Fine solution, but you're already probably have OneDrive or Google Storage

5 4 months ago

Comments: Overall, i think its an okay product, but there are no features Box offers that are not provided by GDrive or OneDrive. More than likely, you are already paying for access to one of those product families, so it does not make a lot of sense to additionally pay for or continue paying for Box.

Pros:

The training with this platform is very good, and it was nice to tell users that new user trainings were videos that were only a few minutes long each, provided by the company. It did very well with being platform agnostic, and the sync and desktop apps worked well

Cons:

The search is desperately lacking. All searches always look at all the of the resources you have access to, and you can't search a specific folder or user easily without knowing file paths. The desktop software packages were too often replaced, which involved admin level install and uninstalls which users often needed help with.

Mechanical Engineer in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

A strong and easy to use cloud service

5 3 years ago

Pros:

I use Box on a daily basis and have found it to be a secure and reliable cloud service. One of the features I like most about it is that it also allows for collaboration work too on files such as spreadsheets or documents. I like how easy it is to use for both accessing and uploading files. A simple drag and drop of a file/files and it starts uploading immediately. It's easy to keep files organized as it allows you create folders just as you would on your hard drive. Upload and download speeds are good, although this is dependent on the speed of your internet connection of course. Another feature that I like and feel is worth mentioning is that it's very easy to share files or folders with other people, and lets you customize what level of access they have - download only or can edit, for example. There is also an option to receive an email notification when someone accesses or downloads anything you have shared.

Cons:

The only con that I've ever encountered when using Box is that there sometimes seems to be an issue with how it orders you files within a folder if the file names are numbered (for example file names that contain or start with a numerical date).

Jeff H.
Linux Systems Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services

Box.com solves for many enterprise problems

5 5 years ago

Comments: As an Enterprise account administrator for around 6k users, I'm continually impressed with the pace and quality of improvements as well as the huge feature set Box already has. Box provides much more than simple file sharing, it also allows for automation and integration with existing workflows, the creation of new and more efficient processes, and the replacement of several dissimilar products we were using.

Pros:

The Box web app and the Box Sync/Box Edit software are intuitive and easy for the new user to pick up quickly. For more experienced users, workflows can be designed and used to increase the efficiency and decrease the problems associated with file servers and other file sharing services. The Box API provides those who are inclined to develop applications a standard, with well documented features and flexibility that securely allow access to content and metadata.

Cons:

The desktop applications Box Sync and Box Edit occasionally are impacted by Windows policies (IE permissions generally), which is not the fault of Box, just something to keep in mind when deploying to users. The administrator GUI search function for files is indiscriminate and doesn't allow for more complex searching.

Joseph V.
IT Director in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Box has streamlined our business !! Great file sharing and collaboration software.

5 3 years ago

Comments: Since it's very easy to manage the files s stored on Box through their web interface, I am able to concentrate on other projects in the office. In addition, it has taken the burden off our email server as we no longer need to email large files and only send the link to those files or folders via email.

Pros:

Security and Ease of use !! Every file you store with Box is encrypted using AES 256-bit encryption. In addition, the Box user interface makes it easy to share out and collaborate folders with specific permissions. You can easily see which collaborator (customer) has opened a specific file by running a report. Reliable file sharing....We have given all our field technicians access to a wealth of information that would normally have been emailed to them upon request and they are able to access Box directly from their tablets to access this info. This has streamlined our business and has made it easy for us to collaborate our reports with others. We have tried other file sharing sites and Box has worked perfectly for our needs.

Cons:

I think the reporting on the back end needs to be improved. Other than that, we have no other complaints.

Amira M.
Amira M.
Recruiter in Malaysia
Retail, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Easy to use

5 3 months ago

Pros:

Box system structure and the interface is very minimalist thus making it fresh to view and easy to work with it. The application has a very good upload speed and making the upload time for a large file size went smoothly, unlike some of the cloud storing software that only priorities the download speed only.

Cons:

The file permission settings management is not properly construct, making the first experience of sharing my files to other is very confusing and bad. I had to try it for a few times to properly setting it up as there are no clear instruction on how to do it on the guide.

Dave T.
Dave T.
Research assistant in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Box is decent online the app for the computer is a nightmare.

4 last year

Comments: It is good at why it does. Better apps would make it much better and possibly the best in my opinion.

Pros:

We have unlimited box space at work. It’s great for that reason and we store all our research on box. It’s easy to organize and share and easily find past data.

Cons:

The apps are not great. Windows version never uploads correctly for me. My boss with make updates and I don’t see them. It has caused a few issues. The Mac version crashes on me a lot. The app for iOS is ok though.

Jason H.
Jason H.
Adjunct Instructor in US
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best File Storage/Sharing Utility That Integrates with Canvas

5 4 years ago

Comments: Integration with Canvas is a huge benefit. Box's security is probably the best for its intended use. Box is also very simple to use. I love how the sync tool just works seamlessly in the background.

Pros:

I love its integration with Canvas. It is the best file sharing/storage service that integrates with Canvas. We have Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive integrated with our instance of Canvas as all, and Box stands head and shoulders above those. The security is top-notch and the ease of use is great. Users can access their box content through their Canvas profile page. Teachers can enable Box use at the course level, and share Box content directly in an assignment or information page. The Box preview window is amazing as well. It allows you to preview pretty much any file type. It also has a new Microsoft Office plugin that allows you to work on a file locally on your machine and save it directly to your Box account without storing the file on your machine and syncing it.

Cons:

Box doesn't allow its sync tool to be used on beta OS environments like a beta version of macOS. It kind of sucks having to wait for the general release of an operating system just because you're dependent on a file-storage service.

George W.
Online Learning Manager in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 51-200 Employees

very good, but only if you pay.

4 3 years ago

Comments: I only occupied a few months ago box and the experience has been very pleasant. Before I used dropbox and I liked it a lot, but box I find it more neat, more formal and I like that. The functions and the operation in general is quite similar in the basics, I upload files, I share the files, I can create different sessions so that more people can access a certain folder, and other functions.
So until now I have been able to work very well with BOX and the whole process has been very simple.

Pros:

1.- There are a variety of options to choose from according to your needs. You can choose a personal account or a company account. 2.- Within the personal account you have the possibility to create a free account. This account has 10GB of space in the cloud, which is enough space to store thousands of documents, songs, photos and much more. 3.- the prices of the different accounts are quite good and they are within the market price. 4.- The work environment is simple and neat, which gives the impression of being very neat and clean. 5.- You can share your files easily through the link generated by box. You can also configure if this link will be for public or private use. 6.- The speed of upload and download of larger files (over 50mb) is quite fast, although it also depends on the connection you use.

Cons:

1. - Like other similar programs, conflicts are created in the files if two or more people try to use the same file at the same time. 2.- there is an important difference between the gartis account and the payment account, since the paid accounts can transfer and unload large files (up to 5GB in the most expensive version, and 2GB in the cheapest), while in the free version is an important limitation, where you can only manipulate files up to 250mb.

Daniel mario M.
Daniel mario M.
CTO in US

Good tool for storage

4 3 years ago

Comments: The tools are there, but you need to plan ahead and structure things properly or it can become a nightmare. For example,I helped implement this at a friends company and it's better to do some research on how to do things before implementing and use a very defined structure and groups for permissions.

Pros:

It's a good way to have a centralized storage for small companies, in general it has a good interface and functionality.

Cons:

Be careful how things are implemented, it can become a labyrinth if you start creating folders left and right and sharing individual folders with individual people. I would like better auditing tools, for example a way to see the whole folder structure and files easily (currently there is an export tool for this but the csv files it spits out are huge hard to look at). Having several users collaborating can create a lot of duplicate files and folders. I would like an easy way to add virtual folders, so I can have one physical folder that can be under several others. I believe you can do this through links, but is not very intuitive.

Petrus V.
Petrus V.
Director of Strategic and New Development in South Africa

Great free/premium online storage provider

5 3 years ago

Comments: I've been using them for over 8 years now, and they are super reliable. So many cloud storage providers were here today and gone tomorrow, but box stood the test of time. They have recently up-scaled their game by providing integrated services for corporations, meaning that they have affordable solutions so that organizations can use them elusively for all of their online storage needs. The support is fast and professional and the product is competitive enough to give other providers a real run for their money. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a better service at a better price right now.

Pros:

Been around for a while to know they are not going to disappear overnight 10GB of free storage, where dropbox only gives 2GB Premium plan is very competitive and cheaper than others They have more premium options to suit everyone's need Very robust and well integrated with many apps and services out there

Cons:

Nothing really, except that they might want to revisit their starting model and provide a little more storage and a slightly better price for premium packages.

Cody M.
Controller in US
Entertainment, 51-200 Employees

Integrates Easily with Many Softwares, But Somewhat Pricey

5 9 months ago

Comments: Positive experience, I have had new employees who have never used box before basically become expert users on the first day, so that speaks for the ease of use.

Pros:

Box is very easy to set up and can connect with a lot of different softwares. We connected it to NetSuite, for instance, and then can also easily package up files for auditors and share via Box.

Cons:

It's a bit pricey in my opinion compared to similar software, but it's a powerful tool for business collaboration.

Content Librarian in US
11-50 Employees

Great file-sharing and collaboration tool.

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Good all-around file sharing and collaboration tool. The Microsoft plugins allow you to edit a file either on your desktop or in Microsoft Online (though it breaks our formatting sometimes, so be careful!). Share links are easy to generate, even for users who don't have access to the company Box folders. Keep in mind that an administrator should be in charge of keeping the files in Box manageable and organized as well, as it can get out of control with tens or hundreds of people adding and organizing files.

Cons:

Box Sync / Box Drive are not perfect - often we end up with duplicates of documents because two people opened them at the same time, or there was some issue with syncing that duplicated the documents on both ends, then was unable to reconcile them when syncing caught up. Also, while the admins can see some user activity, they can't see deleted items, which would actually be a useful thing for us to be able to see.

Linh P.
Linh P.
Tax Auditor in US
Accounting, 10,000+ Employees

A reliable encrypted cloud-based solution

5 2 months ago

Comments: As long as our clients can set it up, everything works as intended. The subscription fee is in the higher end but Box does not offer any exceptional features. The registration and 2-step authorization are not very intuitive. but the actual user interface is very clean and neat.

Pros:

Box has been in the market for a long time. We recently changed to Box mainly because of its encryption. The synchronization and multiple access levels are a plus.

Cons:

The setup and registration are not user-friendly. It took a long time for the end-user to have it ready to use. Our IT department had to write a 25 pages tutorial and most of the time, our clients fail to follow through. Setup process usually ended up via phone call, which is not very time effecicent.

Nicholas P.
Company Director in UK
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees

Decent but there are better options out there

4 10 months ago

Comments: It was good for a few years and fulfilled our requirements, but as the business has developed we have looked for better tools that do more of what we need.

Pros:

I liked how easy it was to use and the fact it just became another drive on my computer but led to things being saved remotely. It was easy for the team to use and understand.

Cons:

It's very limited compared to other options that are available. It wasn't ideal for collaborative work.

Faheem S.
Solar Design Engineer in Pakistan
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 Employees

Best cloud storage for Business and private use

5 2 years ago

Comments: Working on Box is a good experience. It helped a lot, I do not need to store data on different devices or transfer data to anyone. it is the best option for business I believe

Pros:

BOX is a next-level storage platform that provides large storage capacity with so many additional features. Another important feature is that you can grant access to other people you would like to share data with. So, it is helpful in business work. By using this one can create a working environment where any member can add or access the data by using a vast variety of devices. It provides a secure back-up system. In addition to this, it has a very easy user-interface.

Cons:

Developers should look into some matters like it usually takes much time to upload a file even a smaller file. Secondly, they must work on simplifying the user-interface because sometimes it confuses the user with files orientation.

James D.
James D.
Information Technology Software Developer in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1,001-5,000 Employees

I like its clean and intuitive design

5 8 months ago

Comments: Box makes it simple to impart records to colleagues and have the ability to figure inside the archive at a comparable time while seeing the progressions others make. My alternative on a valid statement is. you'll impart documents to loved ones effectively Collaborative altering and updates rapidly. Access control to individuals you perceive and trust. Likewise versatile access on numerous gadgets from telephones to pc to tables.

Pros:

I love you'll transfer and offer records with loved ones, with reports and pictures, and sharing them distantly continuously decreasing squandering transfer times. Another beneficial thing is that I additionally loved ones can make changes to shared records and documents would be refreshed with changes quickly.

Cons:

I have been utilizing Box for two or three years at this point and haven't had significant issues with it. It appears to figure well at whatever point I need it. Yet, in the event that I even have a private and work Box record, I may jump at the chance to have them both sync to my PC. I presently haven't discovered how to frame this to occur.