15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Pros:

Easier to use than Dropbox. Better customer service.

Cons:

If you don't know what "folder" a document is in - or even its exact document name, the search tool can be very difficult, and almost useless.

Box ratings

4.5
4.2
4.4
4.3

8.3/10

Box has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 5,343 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Box before?

Filter reviews (5,343)

Deepak
Deepak
Product Marketing Manager in India
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Sharing Data Securely to Clients

5.0 last month New

Comments: Box is one of our best choice to keep our clients data safe and secure on cloud. It provides extra layer of security to keep the data safe and only access by the users who are invited only.

Pros:

Box is an excellent file sharing tool for keeping and sharing data and large files with clients easily without any hassle.

Cons:

Box provides and solution to small businesses to keep data safe and secure. I wish to to have an extra feature on normal plan.

Bilal
Project Manager in India
Computer Software, Self Employed

The Ultimate and Cloud Solution for the Secure Collaboration and File Management.

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: The platform excels in providing a secure environment for storing and sharing files, which is crucial for any business handling sensitive data. The collaboration tools, such as real-time editing and commenting, have significantly improved teamwork and productivity within projects.

Pros:

The ability to share and store files securely, while also enabling real-time collaboration and integration with various third-party applications, makes it an incredibly powerful tool for businesses.

Cons:

While the platform offers a wealth of features, navigating through them can be overwhelming, and finding specific settings or options isn't always intuitive.

Gloesha
Lead Copywritier in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Not the most intuitive interface and a bit clunky

3.0 last month New

Comments: A bit clunky but does the job well enough.

Pros:

Facilitates collaborative team working well enough.

Cons:

I'm not always able to tag others in a document... and there doesn't seem to be a logical reason why.

Tayeb
CEO in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Solid File Sharing System

Comments: I have been using Box for many years. As an early adopter, I can say that the brand has been loyal to it’s early adopters and that is really appreciated. I only ran into an issue once with a storage related issue and their support team had to run a script to fix it but they were very responsive as they tackled my request in a few business hours which was impressive. Highly recommend.

Pros:

Generous data storage allowance Competitive Pricing Top-notch support team and I’m talking from experience.

Cons:

Sometimes some files get duplicated so you might have to delete doubles manually but I’d rather have my files doubled than deleted. So far the archiving on Box has been a pleasant experience as I never experienced data loss.

Vince
IT Director in US
Textiles, 51–200 Employees

Box for business is great

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Box makes it easy to share larger files that we cannot send via email. Doesn't matter if they are in our organization or not. It's a great way to send files.

Cons:

There isn't a lot to not like about Box other than the added cost for licenses. But even that is a bargain.

Matthew
Director Deliveries and Business Affairs in Canada
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Reliable and easy to use

4.0 last month New

Comments: Great for internal uses across the company, never causes issues even with larger media files. Smooth and easy to set up.

Pros:

The service is quick and easy. Rarely do we encounter buffering issues or upload/download fails even with larger files.

Cons:

Privacy and permissions could be improved for users/licenses and even for sharing content. If the features exist they aren't as clear to enable as other platforms.

Human Resources, 10,000+ Employees

Box the great tool to keep your files secure

5.0 last month New

Pros:

1. File Sharing and Collaboration 2. Security and Compliance

Cons:

The box notes could be more accessible and they are not really used by our clients.

Will
Analyst in Australia
Capital Markets, 51–200 Employees

Review of Box

4.0 last month New

Pros:

It is easy to share files with vendors and buyers. Easy to utilize.

Cons:

I would prefer a better summary of groups with access and their views.

Medical Practice, Self Employed

Very good program

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: box is a good program and I will continue to use it. It has helped me make my work easier many times. It is a good program

Pros:

The panel option is very useful for collaboration. Although it syncs a lot of files, it does not slow down the computer, which is a good thing for me, and it is also an easy-to-use program.

Cons:

I think that if they make a bigger file size for transfer it will be good

Manan
Manan
Application Engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Secure Data Sharing

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Box has been a good addition to our web tools list. It provides cloud storage to securely share data to our clients and customers.

Pros:

Box provides cloud storage to securely upload files and share with your clients. It provides ample space to share store data for longer time.

Cons:

It has less integration options available which makes us to shift to other tools while working on Box.

Leonardo
UI/UX Designer in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great for Content Marketing on Startups!

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros:

The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons:

It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

Kalina
Research Programmer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very straightforward

Comments: I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros:

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons:

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Narasimhan (Nari)
Narasimhan (Nari)
Chemical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros:

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons:

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

Translation & Localisation, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

Comments: I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros:

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons:

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Smooth and feature-rich

Comments: I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros:

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons:

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

Priyansh
Priyansh
Owner in India
Animation, 2–10 Employees

A reliable and secure data storage solution for us

Comments: I have been using Box for my data storage needs for the past year and have been extremely impressed with the platform. Overall, I am extremely happy with my decision to use Box for my data storage needs. It has exceeded my expectations in every way and has greatly streamlined my workflow.

Pros:

Not only is it user-friendly and intuitive, but it also offers top-notch security measures to protect my important files. The interface is straightforward and easy to navigate, making it simple to upload, organize, and share files. They offer a range of tools that make it easy to work with my team and clients, such as the ability to leave comments and track changes. They uses robus encryption and multiple layers of protection to ensure that my data is secure. Supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio, and video, making it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs. The mobile app makes it easy to access my files on the go, which has been especially helpful during the pandemic when I've been working remotely.

Cons:

However, there are a few cons to consider. One is that the pricing can be a bit steep for smaller businesses on a tight budget. Another is that the platform can be a bit slow at times, especially when uploading large files. Finally, there have been occasional issues with syncing, which can be frustrating when trying to access important files on the go.

Todd
Principal Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Cloud file services that work like a real file share

Comments: I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere. When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros:

The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons:

Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting. Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

Majeed Mohammed
Field Manager in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 201–500 Employees

allows me to easily access all the files I need to be productive on the go

Comments: Box has really helped us to keep up our productivity. My team originally only used Box for file storage purposes, but remote working forced by the pandemic gave us a unique opportunity to further explore all the different ways we could apply Box; and boy, have we been blown away. From facilitating team collaboration seamlessly to keeping detailed audit trails of file access, Box has been a devine tool to have in these times.

Pros:

Of all the amazing features Box offers, real time synchronization has been one of the most critical ones that have allowed me and my team to maintain optimal productivity during this forced period of remote work. Ease of file sharing, and access control management come in as close second favorite benefits of Box.

Cons:

We usually have to open files of interest to confirm they are the right ones. And with images or other forms of visual files, where proper file naming is typically not observed, a preview panel might come in handy

Mary
HR Director in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone...

Comments: I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros:

1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document. 2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process 3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow. 4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons:

1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

Ricky
Manager, Operations and Finance in US
Pharmaceuticals, 11–50 Employees

Robust Cloud Base System

Comments: We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros:

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons:

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Mona
Office Manager in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

4 in 1

Comments: This experience has left me feeling mostly satisfied and impressed with Box.
They have a great idea here and it saves time in a variety of situations. For me having a document already imported saves a lot of time, I don’t have to go and search for it or try and remember where it’s stored. If I have a question I can ask and receive an answer without leaving Box.

Pros:

This is one of the best because it’s like having 4 in 1. Cloud management, collaboration, assignment schedule, and electronic signature with Box Sign. It’s not too expensive and all the things I get are used daily. It couldn’t be easier to use for electronic signatures, the documents are already in Box so I don’t need to send them out. I don’t have to directly share something for others to see it, but I can share directly if I want to and it’s easy. There is a message board that can be kept open and assignments can be created and scheduled. Box can open Adobe or PDF, Word, and Google Docs files, it’s opened or read all files I’ve imported. This is secure enough to use for legal documents or client records, it’s protected with encryption and requires little monitoring.

Cons:

Box Sign is easy to use but it’s not as good as it could be. I don’t think the cloud storage management is the best, the other ladies at the office agree. File versions became lost and the overall manner of storing wasn’t great.

Internet, Self Employed

The best solution for storing data in a secure and easy way

Comments: I have been using Box as my primary data storage solution for the past year and have been extremely pleased with its performance. Box offers a variety of features that make it easy to store, access and share my important files. The user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation make it easy to upload, organize and share files with my team and clients. The platform also offers collaboration tools such as commenting, version tracking and real-time syncing, which have been essential for my workflow and team coordination. I have also found the platform to be highly secure, with robust encryption and multiple layers of protection to keep my data safe. The platform also allows me to set detailed access controls and permissions, which allows me to share files with specific individuals. Box also supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, which makes it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs.

Pros:

Storing and managing important files requires a solution that is both user-friendly and secure. Cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud provide easy-to-use interfaces and strong security measures, making them an ideal choice for safeguarding sensitive data. The services make it simple to upload, organize and share files with team members and clients, with tools such as commenting and version tracking for effective collaboration. The service ensures the safety of your data by implementing robust encryption and multiple layers of protection.The services support a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, making it a suitable option for all your storage needs. The mobile app allows easy access to your files from anywhere, which is particularly useful for remote work scenarios.

Cons:

While cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud offer many benefits for storing and managing important files, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One disadvantage is that the pricing can be high for smaller businesses with a limited budget. Another issue is that the platform may experience slow performance, particularly when uploading large files. Additionally, syncing can be problematic at times, making it difficult to access important files when on the go. Overall, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before choosing a cloud-based storage service for your business.

Joseric
Joseric
Project Manager in Philippines
Utilities, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Box for personal or office digital storage

Comments: Box continues to amaze and survive given the steep competition out there. Its main selling point for us is the boost in confidence as regards its super security features and data loss prevention.

Pros:

There are many things to love about Box. For one, its Business plans come with unlimited storage! We started out with Free just to try it, then moved to Starter then Business (as we needed more than 10 users on board). It's worth it esp for small to medium-sized businesses looking for a secure place for storage with tons of extra features for both admin and security. The 5GB upload is enough for the big multimedia and other iso/archive files we have. For our admin, the integration with our Active Directory saved us from having to require our users to create/maintain an extra account (user/password) for Box. We are also proud to announce to our team about its security features like SSL, encryption, and even two-factor authentication for the meticulous. Although​ we haven't had the need for the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) that Box advertises, we are happy that this is part of our subscription and gives a little extra boost of confidence with our files. The corporate logo can also be incorporated into the platform to make it personalized according to your company's branding scheme. Box also offers a ton of possible integrations. So far what we use are integrations with Google Suite (e.g., docs), Salesforce (CRM), and MS Office 365. This makes it easy for users​ to create content is our usual platforms and then easily save and manage them in Box.

Cons:

We have quite a number of staff who already use other online storage platforms (Dropbox, Google Drive). Note that Non-Box users can only access files as Read-Only... in which case our people really had to be forced to create an account for edit purposes and collaboration.

Staci
Social Media Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

The best cloud storage on the web!

Comments: One of the best continual investments we've made with the company. This platform has single-handedly help us acquire new clients and projects, thus increasing the bottom line.

Pros:

This is the most robust cloud storage platform on the web. Having been a client for over 10 years, there has been continued improvement to accessibility and security from the company. The ease of accessing files and sharing with others is second to none.

Cons:

Absolutely nothing was below par. We love it and continually use it daily. Even the mobile app is fantastic!