• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.6 /5

About ZipBooks

Modern accounting software for small businesses and accountants including time tracking, invoicing, & digital payments.

Learn more about ZipBooks

Showing 25 reviews of 93

Diego L.
Owner, Chief Visionary
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2017

"I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker"

Comments: Saved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker

Pros: I love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons: It's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

by ZipBooks on 14/08/2017

Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!

• Reviewed on 14/08/2017
John M.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2017

"Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping"

Pros: I have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point. So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter. Support team is very responsive.

Cons: Project management is very basic. I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions. Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

by ZipBooks on 22/08/2017

John,

Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!

• Reviewed on 22/08/2017
Joan J.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/01/2020

"Small Business Review"

Pros: Easy to use and very user friendly. Customer support is always fast and has a solution to most any problem I through their way.

Cons: I wish there was a way to export a formatted excel spreadsheet of reports or be able to print to a PDF (single-page) easier.

• Reviewed on 6/01/2020
Michael E.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2017

"Was GREAT, Recently VERY DISAPPOINTED"

Comments: Easy to use, you just cant get your money

Pros: Easy to use, no frills, perfect for small business. Makes the daily chore of bookkeeping fairly easy.

Cons: CAN"T GET YOUR PAYMENTS!!! this is the second time that my payments are not posting to my account. Customer service is responsive, but point the finger at their processor. that does not get me paid. My customers orders have been delayed because of a ZIPBOOKS issue. I have been waiting for my payments to be released for now in 12 days. This is completely unacceptable. They used to be completely free now they want you to upgrade and pay a monthly fee to use the advanced services, but suddenly can't process payments in a timely manner, or in my case at all. Just something to think about before you start using this service. If you NEED to get paid, might want to find another service.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2017
Andrew R.
Founder/President
  • Reviewed on 18/10/2018

"ZipBooks isn't what it seems"

Comments: Overall, if you are an individual looking for a cool interface to keep a general ledger, this is a cool system. It's absolutely NOT a system of businesses. As a small business, I simply can't afford spending hours trying to may a paid system work. In this day, software shouldn't need someone holding it's hand. There are better systems out there and well worth the larger cost. Hopefully this can save someone else from headaches. Move on, you'll be glad you skipped this system.

Pros: A beautiful interface with a clean layout gives you the first impression you are in an elegant accounting program. It also gives you step by step guides to connect banks and the progress of your connections. The ai is smart and will often correctly label your transactions.

Cons: The most major problem is, the software doesn't connect correctly to my Credit Union. It would show a balance of 3-4 past transactions, however have ALL the transactions in there. Working with customer service is annoyingly slow. Response times in my experience have been days and I am a paid member. Along with the responses are silly gifs some people may dig, but when you have a problem, it's downright insulting. After customer service realizing I was on an old system, they had it upgraded and wanted me to re-connect my Credit Union. As a result every transaction was gone! So years of balancing my business was vaporized. Thank god I didn't trust their customer service rep and exported everything prior to doing such a poor suggestion.

• Reviewed on 18/10/2018
Mary B.
Video producer
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2017

"I use for business and personal accounting actually."

Pros: Color coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.

Cons: I don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

by ZipBooks on 19/06/2017

Mary,

Thanks for the great feedback!

We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing.

Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that.

Can you send your account details to [email protected]?

With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set!

Thanks!

Brad

• Reviewed on 14/06/2017
Kathleen N.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 1/06/2018

"No other way to go than ZipBooks - 100% Satisfied!"

Comments: Bookkeeping service available to me via chat. Wonderful Bookkeepers such as Karin to help me along. Categorization help, ability to have a business report readily available any day. I love this program.

Pros: Extremely easy to use interface. Live chat option with a bookkeeper, preset categorization, help every step of the way, ability to track EVERYTHING about my business.

Cons: No inventory tracking feature. I would love more freedom in setting up my invoices. I need more options because my products vary. Also no intergration with eBay. But I still love the software.

• Reviewed on 1/06/2018
Sarah K.
Executive Vice President
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2017

"Great Product"

Pros: Our nonprofit was looking for easy to use software for our accounting. Not only is this easy, it is nice to look at too. And all web based means no more downloads on my computer! Linking a bank account was very easy! The mobile apps help as well. Customer service responded in under 12 hours!!!

Cons: They only have an app for IOS, No Android app yet, however I was informed it will be here late summer! (very excited about that)

• Reviewed on 22/06/2017
Pascual C.
Owner/Psychologist
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2017

"Free and great alternative to QuickBooks"

Pros: Free, easy to use, professional and helpful customer support. It allows you to sync your bank account information into the system to save time.

Cons: Sometimes the sync does not work properly and you have to re-link your bank account to ZipBooks or refresh several times.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2017
Daniel S.

"So far, so good"

Comments: Zipbooks is new, and while they still need to develop a consistent and positive track record, I can say that their product and team show a lot of promise. I have had quite a bit of contact with their team and they have taken my advice and feature requests seriously. These are early days, but so far it looks great and they seem to be moving in the right direction.

by ZipBooks on 20/11/2015

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. We know we still have a long way to go. Thanks being so generous with your feedback and sticking it out with us!

ZipBooks Team

Jeffrey S.
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2016

"Extremely easy to use, setup is a snap. Great flexibility in how you enter/use data."

Comments: In general I think the software is outstanding. The customer service is fast, very friendly, and efficient. I had an issue with linking to my bank, it was fixed asap and works perfectly. The only reason that I give it 4 stars (overall) and it really should be a 4.5 star raring is that I'd like to see an option to configure categories for expenses, and options for mileage as an expense. Integration to a mileage tracker like TripLog and a time tracker like Gleeo Time Tracking would be the icing on the cake.

Richard B.
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2016

"Poor poor technical support."

Comments: The customer support is atrocious. I had two issues; resetting my user data and a screwed up connection to Stripe. The first was still outstanding 3 weeks later, the second 4 days later. No feedback from "Brad from ZipBooks" until I chased them up with followup messages. Eventually we agreed to delete my account and I'd start from scratched. That was 2 days ago and I honestly don't expect it to happen. I'll be staying with Xero. A much more professional product.

Pros: Free. Connects with PayPal, Stripe and WePay. Clean simple web interface.

• Reviewed on 16/06/2016
Tyler M.
Exec Director
  • Reviewed on 25/04/2018

"Receiving payments is absolutely insane."

Pros: It looks nice and relatively polished, it's easy to navigate, and the setup process (seems) pretty easy.

Cons: The setup process is bizarre. Only after I had received a payment, I was told they were holding my funds until I sent them my Social Security Number USING LIVE CHAT, which is absolutely insane. The live chat provider they use, in fact, specifically says it is not secure enough for that, and forbids them from doing so in their Terms of Service. Additionally, weird features are gated on the free plan. For example, you can't see your notifications.

• Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Pete M.
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2015

"Great for folks on a shoe string budget"

Comments: Handles just about everything that a small business would need for their accounting, you'll love it!

by ZipBooks on 20/11/2015

Thanks Pete! Glad you could take time out of your busy schedule to leave a review. Thanks for the support!

Haley W.
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2016

"Fantastic Software!"

Comments: I am over-the-moon happy with my experience using ZipBooks. Not only is it easy to use, the customer service I've received is amazing. I will continue to use and it recommend it to others. Love it!

• Reviewed on 21/01/2016
Antony A.
I.T. Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2016

"Simple and does the job well!"

Comments: It is simple even for a person without any accounting background. Straightforward menu for browsing and recording. It provides a quick report for overall summary

Andre H.
Web/Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2016

"Great to use"

Comments: Sleek, easy to use and makes my life easier. There are tiny niggles here and there but their equivalent to a typo on an email - their that insignificant.

• Reviewed on 20/01/2016
Pediatric Surgery Research Fellow
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/10/2018

"User"

Comments: Nice to use but lacks some important advanced features

Pros: Easy to use, great to track the tasks, and assign the duties

Cons: No android version support, lacks inventory-tracking features. and integrated add-ons.

• Reviewed on 1/10/2018
Brezi M.
Birth Photographer
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2016

"Love this service!"

Comments: I love using this service for my birth photography business. It helps me keep everything organized and in one place for each of my clients.

• Reviewed on 28/06/2016
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"The best app a small business owner could use"

Comments: Highly recommend – beautiful, easy to use, full-featured, and more affordable than any of its nearest competitors.

Pros: ZipBooks is the most affordable, feature rich accounting software I've ever used. It allows me to accomplish everything I need, from sending expenses, to tracking time and expenses, to invoicing. I've used other software and it either didn't include time tracking or it was too expensive for my small business. Their web app is also incredibly easy to use and is design very well. It's all organized in a way that makes sense and the charts/reports are beautiful.

Cons: The biggest issue I have with ZipBooks is their mobile app. I'm running it on my iPhone and it seems like it's just a web-app published in a shell, storing no local information. It's difficult to track time or send invoices that haven't been saved as a draft. Sent invoices also display in reverse order – with the cache clearing every time I open the app. If they built a full-featured, native app I think ZipBooks would be perfect.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Jack D.
Co-Founder, Account Director
  • Reviewed on 16/03/2018

"A great invoicing and accounting solution for small agencies and freelancers"

Comments: A highly functional and easy-to-use platform for client invoicing and accounting.

Pros: Zipbooks is a phenomenal tool for invoicing and billing clients. As a digital agency, our team does all of our estimating, invoicing, billing, time tracking and accounting through Zipbooks, and it's been a great experience. The platform has seen continuous improvement throughout 2017 and 2018, so I have a lot of confidence that we'll continue to run our business through Zipbooks.

Cons: The slick interface comes to be a burden when reconciling transactions - if you're not an accountant by trade, it can be easy to make a mistake and have difficulty correcting it due to the streamlined presentation. After struggling with this, I've been able to refine my reporting process to work well with Zipbooks. The project management tool/time tracking was a bit weak but it is getting better and I'm happy to see the service improve. I would also like to see support for signing contracts/agreements for related invoices.

• Reviewed on 16/03/2018
Mike W.
Owner/Architect/Engineer
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2017

"Great software with outstanding technical support"

Pros: The software itself is fairly straightforward and easy to use, although for someone who doesn't know accounting that well it sometimes can be slightly confusing. What is really great though is that their support team is very knowledgeable and can not only help solve technical issues but can also help explain what their software means to you from an accounting standpoint. Invoicing is simple and easy to use, integration to bank and credit card accounts continues to improve, and they continue to enhance the set of reports available to help you understand how your business is doing.

Cons: It's fairly minor stuff - the graph on the main page of the application assumes you are using accrual basis accounting, and that ends up misrepresenting the numbers you see if you are using cash basis accounting. I also don't like that I can define that my business uses cash basis but the reports always default to accrual. It would be nice to understand how the business health score is calculated, as mine continues to decrease despite the fact that I thought my business was continuing to improve.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2017
Leigh P.
Officiant/Civil Celebrant - Wedding in KC
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2018

"Great Customer Service"

Comments: For small business, it's perfect.

Pros: The software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.

Cons: I do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2018
Alex V.
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 5/03/2019

"Clean, powerful bookkeeping software"

Comments: ZipBooks is perfect for my small business, though they have options for expansion (payroll, etc.) I have had no major complaints so far and I think the platform is a great option if you're new to bookkeeping or experienced and want an alternative to some of the other major competitors.

Pros: ZipBooks has a very clean interface. All the data is so clear. It's a fast platform and it's easy to navigate. All the backend is there too if you're an experienced bookkeeper looking for flexibility.

Cons: The mobile app has a few bugs that are very obvious. Incorrect account balances and poor sorting of time tracking 'jobs.' Some of these bugs have been ongoing since I signed up, and a few have been fixed. I hope they keep improving the app.

• Reviewed on 5/03/2019
Derek C.
Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 30/12/2016

"Simply Amazing"

Comments: ZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life. Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-) If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.

Pros: Recurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.

Cons: Can only accept internet payments with American banks.

• Reviewed on 30/12/2016