Filter by:

• Overall

About Shelf

Shelf is a highly awarded, innovative Knowledge Automation platform designed to help remote workers be more productive and efficient.

Learn more about Shelf

Rudy C.
Rudy C.
Knowledge Content Specialist
Logistics & Supply Chain, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2021

"Very good and well-rounded tool"

Comments: Very good. I'd definitely recommend it

Pros: I really liked the diversity of knowledge content one can create. Decision trees and wikis were the most important for us, and we found them tremendously useful.

Cons: The visuals of the frontend seemed a bit rudimentary, and we weren't able to modify or customize them.

Alternatives Considered: Guru, Kipwise, Talkdesk and Kustomer

Reasons for Choosing Shelf: The tool had technical limitations that made it necessary for us to find a more powerful tool/platform.

Switched From: Helpjuice

Reasons for Switching to Shelf: Especially because of the diversity of knowledge content. We needed to create decision trees or the like in order to present our users with guided workflows. That was impossible to do with the alternatives.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2021
Anna lena S.
Junior Customer Care Specialist
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2020

"Shelf is a real game changer"

Pros: I use Shelf mainly to bundle internal knowledge and make it available to other departments and external providers. I especially appreciate the versatile and yet simple use of Shelf.

Cons: For me there is no contra in the use of Shelf. Before we used another knowledge management tool which I was not convinced of in many points. Shelf on the other hand has everything I expect.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2020
Jennifer J.
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2021

"Extremely pleased with Shelf"

Comments: Overall we are extremely pleased with the platform and support provided. The AI is invaluable and the openness to evolve new features is wonderful.

Pros: That it's easy to use and constantly evolving. Love the ease of making changes.

Cons: really would love to have a calendar, would love more space to describe the gem, would love to be able to identify an owner (not the person who uploaded).
Although not a deal breaker.. the overall 'look' of the dashboard is not visually appealing.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2021
Paul B.
International Development Consultant
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2016

"This is not a drill: A user case that lead to early adoption"

Comments: Using Shelf in support of my consultancy/advisory tasks related to the development of an incubator hub in Belgrade, Serbia. Tasks require a lot of information coming in and out and disseminated to a wide variety of management, staff and stakeholders. We have been extremely glad to get our hands on the program. Not only does it support our organizational ethos of trying out new information technologies whenever we can and as they become available, its also been ideally suited and fit for our purpose. Its really smoothed and integrated our workflows and was just what we were looking for.

Pros: Shelf is really easy to set up and get going very quickly and is incredibly intuitive to use. Its a great tool not only for managing knowledge inputs in a wide variety of formats but also for group and task based working. The web clipper is great for capturing information on the go and actually a lot of fun to use. The file permissions system is super efficient for setting up and breaking down work/interest groups. It ensures everyone gets what they need to know and gets a chance to appropriately share and contribute. Its strongly supportive of the informational needs of the multi layered management structure of the organization as well as for disseminating information and updates to its general membership and stakeholders.

Cons: Although its already integrated with the three most important cloud storage sites and we hear more are on the way, we've already become firm Shelf fans and will continue to use so we'd like to see some fast-tracking so more become available sooner than later. We also hear email integration is on the way. Right now and until it comes, it would be useful for user email lists to be generated internally.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2016
David C.
Project Coordinator
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2020

"Intuitive. Ease of Use. Great Customer Service"

Comments: One thing I appreciate about Shelf overall is customer service. Our account manager is very responsive and attentive to our needs, questions, and any concerns we may have for our company's usage of Shelf. An excellent product is one thing, but customer service to make sure your customer(s) is/are happy is a benchmark of better customer satisfaction. Thanks Shelf for a great product and great customer attention.

Pros: I have used many software products like Shelf, but one thing that stood out to me right away as a new user was the ease of use. The product is intuitive to use and very user friendly compared to their competitors. It is easy to teach for new team members in our company to utilize and as an admin, it is more helpful to have a click-and-point admin control to make swift changes so our team operates efficiently with the most up-to-date information and information flow.

Cons: View-Only and Member Users are excellent and very easy to use and teach. Ideally, it would be great to have more Administrative analytical tools to monitor usage and making sure each member is being utilized to the best user role to function within a company's prod use of Shelf.

• Reviewed on 15/12/2020
April M.
Founder, Director, Facilitator
Music
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2017

"User Friendly with Great Features and Functionality!"

Pros: The top 3 features of Shelf for CMDW, Inc include Sync, Search and Sharing. Shelf syncs with Google Drive and Dropbox to help users better organize and access files. Once files are synced, users can search for files via keyword(s) - even if you don't remember the title or when it was created. It's quick and easy to drag and drop files or folders to an updated private or shared folder from there (or simply leave in the current folders, as Shelf retains the original filing properties/locations during sync). Shelf is already setup with four permission levels - along with a "groups" feature to making sharing at specific access levels a breeze. I should also point out that Shelf works well with all types of files and media, including documents, audio, video and more - which is especially important for the creatives on our team!

There are plenty of organization and collaboration tools out there - I've tried several, but Shelf has hit the UX (user experience) nail on the head. It's visually appealing and less intimidating for my clients and team members who are less tech savvy. The onboarding process for me was actually pretty fun. The demo was informative and tailored to my unique organizational needs. Customer rep really listened to my challenges and showed me how Shelf can solve many of our current problems. I'm really excited to finally have a functional solution for file management. No more lost hours searching and starting over from scratch!

• Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Caleb B.
International Programs Intern
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2016

"Sifting Through Unstructured Data Just Became Easy"

Comments: Shelf''s uploading, indexing, and search abilities are the smoothest and most intuitive I have encountered -even among content mining tools. Creating a Gem to contain all of the information I have found on a particular subject or for a specific project enables me to quickly find and access it at any time. No longer must I copy and paste news articles into Word documents and save them. Instead, I simply select Shelf's "Capture Article" function, and it does all the work for me. Then I can tag it with keywords, take notes, and highlight text only to be able to search through my notes on files too. My greatest complaint is the lack of a RStudio package integrating the two. This would allow me to seamlessly create Gems to use in all of my research projects. Even so, Shelf still allows me to use my collection of articles, videos, and other forms of data to far more easily complete my research projects than before i started using it. The International Peace and Security Institute (IPSI) uses Shelf to write literature reviews and for other research purposes. But it proves to be invaluable when crafting our experiential training programs. Instead of attempting to coordinate each member of our team's separate projects and research. Shelf indexes our cloud storage so that we can easily find anything other team members have done. Not only does Shelf sort through each team member's files so we can make better use of our time, but it also enables us to take notes on others' files. With IPSI's recent move to OneDrive, Colin Kennedy and the rest of Shelf's staff have supported us every step of the way to ensure we were as prepared as possible for a swift integration of OneDrive and Shelf. Their excellent customer support, thoughtfulness, and high quality product guarantee IPSI will be using Shelf for all of our file categorization and collaborative needs.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2016
Dani B.
CFO
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2018

"Perfect solution for all forms of media - audio, video, pictures"

Pros: Content is easy to find and searchable for all users based on tagging system, which is easy to use; content can be shared across all of our teams; reduces duplication; affordable; syncs with Google drive and drop box; very easy to drag and drop files and folders

Cons: There is no built in CRM tool, and this would be really useful t have accessible. Would also be great if this would integrate with Outlook. Takes some time to put the content you want on the platform but well worth it once it is set up and ready to use.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2018
Bruno D.
Team Lead
Broadcast Media, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/10/2020

"Shelf Review"

Comments: - First Call REsolution
- Collaboration
- Quality and the content is a lot more structured and up to date

Pros: The support and availability that Shelf offers is amazing. This is for everything, including help with the configuration, training, support and future enhancements. The ease of use and search fonction really helped our Contact Center grow which was a big issue for us with our previous software.

Cons: Decision Tree is still new and had some bug issues but Shelf has been working very hard on improving this small portion.

• Reviewed on 8/10/2020
John C.
John C.
Church Relationships Manager
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2018

"Great experience, friendly, knowledgeable, no sales pressure which was AWESOME and APPRECIATED!"

Comments: Easy CMS for users with NO TECH experience. Deepens our value to our members by providing not just our content but valued content from external sources in 1 easy to find, easy to search, and easy to share online platform.

Pros: We like the ease of sharing files and different resources across our membership. The ease of adding both internal content via OneDrive and external content with their Web Clipper is not found on any other product. Having the ability to customize user groups with specific roles in their group is a great feature. Allows us to promote people to roles in a group but not on the overall platform. The ability to make certain things public and certain things private allows for easy sharing and linking from website and social media. The search feature is the most impressive feature, allowing users to search from a wide variety of content across the entire platform. Don't forget about the ability for authors to get emails alerting for new comments to easily respond and address certain questions.

Cons: The lack of a built in CRM tool and/or linking via api keeps the product from certain users but is the best CMS on the market.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2018
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2017

"Easy to use platform for busy teams"

Pros: From adoption the platform was noticeably very clean and unique in terms of design and I felt like I had a direction immediately. Many other tech apps are stressful to adopt and you are never quite sure you are utilizing the most important features. Not only was it easy for me to figure out, but getting my relatively small team on my Shelf was just as easy. We created our own folder structure to suit our needs and organization preferences and everything has been smooth and I can find everything I upload very easily, especially when I know who uploaded it.

Cons: I wish we can collaborate on documents inside of Shelf, but there really is not much a problem because they integrate with Google Drive directly so we can just upload it after.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2017
Gary K.
Specialist
Consumer Goods, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2019

"Great information sharing tool!"

Comments: Our organization is using it as an information library.
Storing, sharing, and searching information became so much easier with Shelf.
Keep it up and hope continuous improvements are implicated.

Pros: - Web Clipper is a wonderful tool - very easy to use and share information
- Muti-matrix of hierarchy and organization provide easier search among thousands of information (gems)

Cons: - Not being able to use on mobile devices (the web clipper)
- Still not able to put "&" sings in tags (M&A, E&M, Food & Beverage, etc) although
- Foreign texts (Korean) are broke in Word files, while they look perfectly fine on PDF files.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2019
Edita C.
Quality Specialist
Professional Training & Coaching, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/12/2020

"Find everything faster and you know it's the correct article"

Comments: Some of the platform are just big theory that doesnt help at all. This is nicely constructed so you can find fast what you need. It helos a lot when you are doing analyses and you need to fast check some procedures

Pros: I liked the tree option, plus implementation onto the other platform is very useful! For now there is no complains, nor from me or others users. Its a very good platform especially when you wanna help others to teach them some procedures better

Cons: As I said no complaints so far, I am not using it for long, but in this time its very much useful!

• Reviewed on 9/12/2020
Chanel R.
Operations and Training Team Lead
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2020

"Shelf Review"

Comments: Overall, Shelf has been amazing. When I've had any questions or issues, Rick has been a pleasure to work with.

Pros: I enjoy how easy it is for me (admin/content creator) to be able to set up a module in Shelf, and make it accessible for my team to easily search. Their productivity and efficiency has increased since using Shelf.

Cons: No complaints, everything is very easy.

• Reviewed on 16/11/2020
Sachin N.
Sachin N.
Physician
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2017

"Shelf makes life easier."

Pros: Just like its integrations with other productivity tools such as GSuite, Gmail, Dropbox, Evernote, and others, Shelf integrates with your workflow seamlessly. Being organized with regard to digital content creates new opportunities for work, collaboration, and productivity, while also reducing stress and frustration that wasn't as visible before using Shelf.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2017
Glen Z.
Marketing & Promotion Manager
Automotive, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2017

"Solving a need we have had for years"

Comments: A single location that is accessible to my team to use and share material.

Pros: A single and accessible location for all needed and relevant material; not just documents
A design so intuitive that they anticipate customer's needs before they need them.
Superior customer interaction that goes beyond just support.
Customizable to be tailor fit.

Cons: The standard badges that are an additional tag for materials so to highlight them for other users don't fit my organization and therefore need to be able to be created or edited.
Please note that I already passed this suggested to Shelf io Management and they are already working on it.

• Reviewed on 16/06/2017
Andrea C.
Digital Product Manager
Chemicals, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/08/2018

"Great product if you are looking for a place to share content easily and quickly!"

Comments: We needed a place where we could collaborate and share internal and external information quickly and effectively. Shelf makes it easy to do so! I would highly recommend trying shelf out!

Pros: The ability to quickly load and share content helped us get going quickly. It's a great tool for non-technical groups. Customer service is quick to respond.

Cons: We had an issue with word count but Shelf was able to resolve this for us within a matter of minutes.

• Reviewed on 6/08/2018
Miquel R.
Global Training Manager
Restaurants, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2021

"Good first 6 months!"

Pros: Integration with CRM
Easy to use
Good communication with Shelf support team
Fast support and resolutions

Cons: reporting not enough granular
Announcement feature yet to be developed
gathering feedback from agents full potential to be unfolded

• Reviewed on 10/05/2021
Audra D.
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2016

"Absolutely love Shelf"

Comments: Fantastic stuff! Not sure what life was like before it and so incredibly easy to use. Would highly recommend for both personal and professional reasons.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2016
Jared O.
WFO Supervisor
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2020

"The Best Knowledge Base Software"

Comments: SHELF has been great! Before SHELF I created a website knowledge base for us to use, noting my website didn't have a good search feature, the ability to create folders, nor the real feel of a knowledge base. Getting SHELF helped us finally step into the real world of knowledge bases, and the work they have put into this web based software is superior. I am enjoying my time with it, and the ease of use of SHELF has made it an outstanding product.

Pros: One of the features of this product is its online! I love the option of having it web based, and not downloaded onto your PC, giving access where ever I go. The Ease of use is fantastic! It doesn't take much to learn, and has the ability for anyone to be able to pick up and use. If you are familiar with social media (Twitter for example) you will feel right at home with the hashtag feature.

Cons: The only issue ive had with the software would be, my agents didn't care to much for the intergration with NiCE Incontact. We tried this and the window would be to small or to big, causing the agents frustration when answering calls. It would always pop up, and the agents would of liked the ability to be able to click it when they need it, instead of the popping up with every call.

Alternatives Considered: LiveAgent and HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to Shelf: The ease of use! the others didn't have the robust features we need like SHELF had. SHELF was easy to use, and it just had better layouts than the others we looked at.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2020
Don D.
Head of Operations
Research, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2019

"Cloud Based Knowledge Management System"

Comments: We wanted a product that would help us manage our knowledge better. The product is good , but the overall speed / refresh rate is poor in-spite of us using more than 50 mbps.

Pros: The search features , quick customer care responses and online tutorials.

Cons: The speed and the sense that they were learning the functionalities of the product on the job.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2019
Wendy A.
Knowledge Base Administrator
Machinery, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2021

"Shelf 7 Month Check In"

Comments: I really enjoy working with Shelf. It's easy to navigate and search. We've had excellent feedback when opening it up within our organization and I'm excited to see how we can grow with Shelf.

Pros: I love the collaboration aspect of Shelf and the ratings. This is how we're using Shelf to keep our content current and it's extremely helpful to view the comments/ratings to see how or if the content is being used. I'm also very happy that Shelf is adding a feature where multiple items can be in different folders as much of our content can be cross-referenced.

Cons: I would love to have more control over the tags list as that needs to be constantly curated and I hate bugging the client rep to do it.

• Reviewed on 24/06/2021
Amanda T.
Business Intelligence Analyst III
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2021

"Shelf is a game changer"

Comments: we are very much enjoying Shelf and are excited to continue to onboard new departments to Shelf!

Pros: Shelf has allowed Granite teammates to store and share vital information for day to day jobs. It has allowed us to easily share content between teams that had no capability of doing so previously. The search functionality it top-notch and allows people to find what they need as quickly and simply as possible!

Cons: bulk add tool & the ability to add people directly to user groups when adding to shelf

• Reviewed on 11/08/2021
Jackson D.
Jackson D.
Principal
Fund-Raising, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2018

"Our 'walled garden' called Shelf"

Comments: We were searching for a archiving solution that would package our company's offline and online resources (designs, documents, ideas, etc.) into a value add, easy to find, easy to use tool for our customers. Shelf provided the exact solution. Similar to how Google provides valuable search options, Shelf give us (the originator) a way to package resources and then offer in a secure walled off 'garden' , so our customers can 'harvest' those resources.

Pros: Having a "Google like" (search by tags) generated system of classifying and organizing online/offline content onto one cloud platform is transformational.
By allowing the end user (in our case, customers) to search via tags, then find>view>download any and all content relating to our relationship with them, the overall 'findability' and value of our resources increases expotentially. The value increases because it's not just sitting in some obscure Dropbox, it's growing and being harvested in "our walled garden" by our customers.
For genre specific content, we can upload new content, tag with appropriate genre related tags and automatically 'push out' the material. Soon as the tags are applied, then all members of that genre have access to the material AND are automatically notified. Versus the old method of copy>paste individual files into each customer's Dropbox folder.
The thumbnail display, which is truly amazing, provides a visual reference to the items searched for and shortens the final mile of the search to the speed of light.
Tagging is an art and Shelf customer onboarding walks you through the learning curve (changing from the file folder based system).

Cons: Still working on versioning, but the workaround works for us.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2018
Stephen M.
Sr Mgr Product Management & Innovation
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"Great product for sharing/storing curated resources in a complex/large organization"

Comments: Shelf has been an incredible partner throughout the process. They were willing to work with us to meet some of our organization-specific needs, while also helping us strategically migrate our content to their platform. They've been very thoughtful every step of the way - including our needs in their product updates and meeting with us on a regular basis to make sure we were aware/up to date on their progress. One of the main reasons we went with Shelf was how easy it was to work with them - and they have not disappointed since then. If you're looking for a knowledge management platform and want an active relationship with your vendor (where they deliver on what they say they are going to do), then Shelf is the right partner.

Pros: Features- left-side panel that allows you to see all the libraries/folders across your organization at once; highly intelligent, Google-like search functionality for all types of searches; ability to combine search with a variety of filters; ability to preview a document easily without having to download; simplified permissions structure - allowing you to set permissions for users in groups as well as individually; integration with SSO

Cons: A few key features they are working on to meet similar functionality of Box/Dropbox/Google Drive:
- Ability to download multiple files/folders at once
- Ability for preview feature to work for all common file types

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020