• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.4 /5

About Squarespace

Squarespace is the all-in-one platform to build a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio.

Learn more about Squarespace

Showing 25 reviews of 1,920

Kelly L.
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2020

"Online Shop and Portfolio"

Comments: Very good. I would recommend it to others looking to build a website.

Pros: I use this as a host for my website and for an online illustration portfolio and shop. It is a little pricey all upfront, but if I break down the business plan per month, its $18 a month, which I make back in my store, so I always break even/make money. I like that there are templates that you dont have to know any coding for and they are pretty intuative. Same with the store. I've used this for atleast 5 years now and don't plan to change.

Cons: I've been waiting for them to take away the need to enter a physical address when people buy a free digital download from my store, and I contacted customer service and they were kinda dumb and didn't really help me with my issue, but that's been the only issue I've had in years.

• Reviewed on 11/11/2020
Alanna W.
Photographer
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Love hate relationship."

Comments: It’s a good option for the price, but as soon as I can afford more, I’m personally going to move on to a better website builder with more customization ability.

Pros: I love that it looks classy even if you’re not familiar with how to use website designing softwares. This is mostly due to the fact that they only allow certain liberties to the user unless the user knows code. In other words, they do not allow the user to make major changes to their templates, because they had professional designers put the templates together so they’d look great! And why let the user mess with a professionally designed look?

Cons: The fact that the user cannot change much means that intermediate users are out of luck. In my case, I am very familiar with how to make an appealing design, and I am also familiar with website builders in general, BUT I do not know coding so I can’t change details that way. Because I know more than a beginner, I get very frustrated at the limitations in design that I am dealt by Squarespace. For instance, they only allow 3 font styles throughout the site, which I understand is a great design approach, but sometimes a different font size or color is NEEDED. Just saying! (Particular afternoon campaign you might want to feature on a particular page, a slight color variation so it shows up better on a photo, etc.)

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Kael K.
Website Creator
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"The best website builder for lightweight needs and support"

Comments: Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

Pros: The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

Cons: Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Derek N.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 4/08/2019

"The best web design platform available"

Comments: I am designing 99% of my clients websites on Squarespace. It helps me get to market faster and easier, and deliver a product my clients love.

Pros: I have been designing websites professionally for over 15 years and it's very rare that I don't design on Squarespace for clients. It's easy to use, the templates are beautiful, and there are so many features and endless flexibility.

Cons: I wish custom code injection was available on the basic/personal levels. As of right now, you need to upgrade to the business account to inject any code in the header or footer.

• Reviewed on 4/08/2019
Jenna a M.
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Squarespace is great for small businesses"

Comments: My overall experience with Squarespace is that it has allowed me to increase my profits, I've had a better time at events when people want to make purchases, and in general it is a well run software, so I really appreciate it. It is very accessible, it has made me look more professional, and it rarely has any bugs. Good job !

Pros: I have been using Squarespace for a few years as a working artist with a small business. There are a lot of events that happen for crafts and painting, and no one has cash, and I certainly don't have change to give them. When I got onto squarespace a few years ago I was amazed that they sent me a free sliding card chip reader, how easy it was to sign up, and I was a bit upset with myself that I hadn't signed up sooner. The amount of sales I missed before squarespace could probably have paid for a vacation or a big increase in my business, however all is well because I have it now. I really like that I can also keep profiles of different people, I can send people invoices, I can send people receipts, I can really make sure that I stay in their minds as a future place to buy from. I think that square space has also been successful for me because having a squarespace account has made me more professional with overseas buyers. Sometimes I get quite a bit of traction on sales through instagram, and paypal is not seen as the best route by these people, they prefer square space. It has given them ease of mind when they receive a digital receipt, when they see that i take my business seriously, and that has created a lot of good relationships for me in places like Australia, New Zealand and so forth. It has also allowed me to let people set up payment plans by tracking all their payments through square space and that too has increased a lot of business for me. Squarespace has helped!

Cons: I think that I am always worried about losing the swiper. If there was a way where squarespace could get rid of that all together and yet allow a one go swipe I would be really grateful for that. The only other issues I have had is sometimes the software has frozen while I am in the middle of a transaction and that has made things a bit difficult for me in the moment, however, this is common for a lot of apps that have high usage, so I am not super upset about it. I think that in the moment you can hope that things will be perfect but they can't always be. Overall though I think the software has better positives than negatives. I think that it is very good software.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Kyla O.
Owner/Designer
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 8/01/2017

"Easily Create an Ever-Beautiful Website"

Comments: I have been using Squarespace for my e-commerce business for a few years now and love it! Squarespace sites are easy to create and update, while always remaining beautiful. I have used other drag-and-drop website building software in the past and even though the layouts looked right when I was editing, once I viewed them live and on different devices, there were always problems. With Squarespace's platform, my site always looks exactly the way I expect it to.
I recently added the e-commerce component to my site and while it doesn't have a ton of features, like other sites, it works perfectly for what I need. Some templates are better suited for e-commerce, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure to look into which ones those are.
Squarespace websites are also automatically optimized for search engines! Last year I took an SEO course to improve traffic to my website and a bunch of the suggestions involved manually updating parts of my site every few months so that search engines would continue to find my site. When I inquired with Squarespace about how to go about this, they let me know that their platform already does this for my site automatically--yay! I also discovered a variety of other SEO features that are built into every Squarespace site, so you don't have to worry about updating or even knowing about much of it--it's all done for you!
While Squarespace doesn't offer customer service by phone, they are timely with responding to inquiries via email and their robust online knowledge base has answered many of my questions in just a few minutes. They also offer a chat feature Mon-Fri.
Finally, one of the reasons I decided to switch to Squarespace was for integrations, like MailChimp--they make it easy to connect with my customers and streamline collecting their information. They also just added an integration with PayPal for checkout, which I can already tell has made purchases easier for my customers.
Overall, I am extremely happy with Squarespace and look forward to discovering, even more, features!

Pros: Ease of use
Beautiful designs
Great customer service
Affordable
useful integrations (PayPal, MailChimp, etc)
built-in SEO
constantly updating and adding more features

Cons: e-commerce platform has minimal features
No customer service phone support
Some features are only available on a limited number of templates

• Reviewed on 8/01/2017
Jessica N.
Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Sleek Beautiful Websites"

Comments: We have been using squarespace for over 3 years and love it. There are plenty of tutorials to help along the way and the tools within the platform can help create any type of website.

Pros: When searching for the perfect platform for our design business, we needed something that would showcase our work with clean lines and beautiful templates. Squarespace was the perfect fit! I loved the ability to customize every aspect of the templates as well so that we could incorporate our store, online catalog, intake forms and portfolio.

Cons: There is some learning curve with this software. It took me a few online tutorials and customer service chats to really figure out where everything was and how to use the features. Once you spend the time to learn, this platform is amazing.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Katie H.
Content and Brand Strategist
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

"Best Out There"

Comments: I love having a Squarespace website. I was able to find templates that I loved and share it easily, not having to worry about whether or not the website would crash or the server would go out.

Pros: The ease of use of Squarespace is the best out there. The drag and drop software, easy to follow backend and capabilities make this the perfect platform for anyone wanting to create a website, no matter what their background is. If you know how to work a computer, you can create a beautifully designed Squarespace website.

Cons: The only con of the platform is switching templates. I liked to change up my website template every year or two, but I couldn't just change the template and have the content populate, I had to create a brand new website in the back end and make it live. It just made the process a little frustrating and time-consuming.

Technical Sourcer
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Squarespace - Honest Review"

Comments: Overall, I love this platform. I have considered using different platforms but they usually have a higher price point and you have to pay for each individual template. I like that you have new templates constantly coming out and you have access to all of them.

Pros: I've been using Squarespace for my photography business the past 5 years and I love the software. I love the versatility of templates provided and the customization designs. I have changes templates maybe 5 times in the past couple of years. If you're new to creating a website this is a great place to start. It's literally a click and drag method, and the best part is that you get a beautiful website. Customer support is also amazing! Anytime I had a bottle neck I had no issue reaching out and receiving a prompt response.

Cons: After using it for a couple of years there are a few things I wish I was able to do. If you are not a programmer a few small details may really bug you. For instance if you wanted to change the spacing between images you will have to look up code and plug it into the advanced settings. For people who are not programmers it's pretty much a plug and see if it works type of approach. With that said many people post on the Squarespace forums and have provided code that has worked for them and it's been pretty helpful. I really enjoy shopping around for templates and seeing the potential that these templates are able to produce. However, it seems like a lot of coding went into these example layouts in order to get the look that they were able to achieve. I also, wish I was able to save my previous template before fully committing to a new one.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Graphic Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2019

"Best Content Management System Platform on the web!"

Comments: Squarespace has been my favorite Content Management System platform by far. As a graphic designer who works in only print, I only use minimal CSS coding to build my website. It saves me a lot of time and money from having to hire a web developer, or use something free and risk having a lower quality website.

Pros: Squarespace is a pretty powerful blogging and Ecommerce platform. It enables designers with or without knowledge of coding to build stunning websites. There are many fully responsive templates to choose from in different categories that are completely customizable, and can can be switched up at anytime. You have the ability to customize your website with a little bit of CSS coding. There are a few plans to choose from, from personal to Ecommerce, and everything you need is included. One thing that sells me on Squarespace is that the itemized cost is simple and there are no additional third party web hosting, templates, or plug-ins, which is the case for platforms such as Wordpress. Websites are beautifully optimized for mobile web and requires no extra work to optimize. I have had great experiences with customer service being very responsive and helpful.

Cons: Squarespace is more advanced than other quick and easy website building platforms, so it is a bit of a learning curve that just takes time and patience. Another downfall is that although there are many templates to choose from, they are limiting to suit your needs as certain styles lack all of the features that other styles might have, such as blogging side bars and second navigation bars.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2019
Paul W.
eLearning Designer and Developer
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"Squarespace is Easy Website Creation and Management"

Comments: I've really enjoyed working with Squarespace. The learning curve hasn't been too bad. Obviously there are new features introduced and the product continues to improve.

Pros: Overall the simplicity of the tool makes it wonderful to use. I can add an entry to my website in usually minutes and I don't even think about formating or HTML code or anything like that. I just simply write an article or manage the purchases from my clients.

Cons: It would be nice to be able to offer multiple currencies in the eCommerce components. I'm Canadian and I wish to offer US dollars to my American clients, but I still need to operate my business in Canada. My Canadian clients would appreciate being able to show for my services in Canadian currency.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Digital Production Artist
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2020

"Squarespace makes complicated tasks smooth and easy"

Comments: It's been really good! I use Squarespace for my photography portfolio. Back in the day I coded my own websites and it was a pain in the butt. Having Squarespace as an option is just so much better. I can focus on the parts of the process that I enjoy.

Pros: - It's easy to use and quite easy to customize. There are a lot of possibilities.
- Templates are fresh and inspiring.
- Interface is smooth and easy to navigate.
- Uploading and organizing photos is a dream. It's very easy.
- Templates work flawlessly on desktop and mobile
- Price is fair (not cheap, but a good value for everything it includes)
- The first year was half price with my student email address

Cons: - There's no way to create a client proofing gallery! This feature would be invaluable to photographers who want to give their clients a way to select which photos they're interested in.
- Having a custom email address costs extra (I believe it's $5/month)
- The selection of templates is a little limited and sites can have a noticeable Squarespace look. But there is room for customization.

• Reviewed on 29/04/2020
Jared D.
Customer Success Manager
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2020

"One of the Best Website Builders"

Comments: I wish I had known about them sooner otherwise we would've avoided paying an agency to build a custom site. Now we have to pay them every time we want any edits/adjustments made however minute they may be.

Pros: Squarespace delivers a super user-friendly tool that allows nonprofits I work with who don't have much tech experience to quickly build a website. It's easily customizable and their templates are all mobile-responsive. They also have great integrations with tools like Mailchimp for email marketing and Google Analytics. Their support documentation is very clear and comprehensive. I've never had to reach out to their support for anything I couldn't find in their help center.

Cons: They have pre-made templates that look fantastic, but if you're looking for something with drag and drop functionality for complete customization like Wix.com or Weebly, then Squarespace isn't for you. You can usually tell if a website is Squarespace because oftentimes different sites will use the same template. I also think that they could lower their pricing a tad and just offer less features.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2020
Ian S.
graphic designer
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"Squarespace: The Best Website Tool on the Market"

Comments: Squarespace is a nice web tool to quickly implement your online presence. I work with a lot of developers and web tools, but squarespace is a definite favorite in the industry

Pros: I like squarespace a lot, and I think most of our clients are comfortable using it because of its notoriety and the ads you see on television – it's not some "scary web code", it's intuitive, easy-to-use and recognizable. Especially if you're not particularly web-savvy, they have plenty of beautiful templates to pick and choose with, and you can get online within a day. The service is affordable and easy to use, and customer service is usually "right there" when you need them. I highly recommend it!

Cons: There is a bit of a learning curve if you want to do some of the development yourself. It's hard for me to say anything really 'bad' about squarespace considering the development aspect of this isn't necessary to make a good website, but after working with such intuitive programs like WIX I feel like it would be criminal to not at least be a little vocal about it. I think that could use some improvement and maybe some pop-up helpful tools because the navigation can be a bit lacking (although this, again, is a personal preference)

Alyssa V.
Photographer
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 9/06/2020

"Great for freelancers"

Comments: Would absolutely recommend Squarespace for freelancers and small to mid-sized businesses, especially if you’re looking to build a simple portfolio or landing page.

Pros: As a freelance photographer, I used Squarespace to build my website and portfolio. I absolutely loved the pre-built website design options without needing to hire a specific designer to create my site. Squarespace is also affordable for its quality, making it a great choice for small businesses.

Cons: Nothing at this time! If I was looking for a more customizable option, Squarespace might not be the best fit, but for pre-built designs it worked great.

• Reviewed on 9/06/2020
Greg H.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2019

"Love it, way better than WordPress"

Comments: Very good, been using them for years. Still hate WordPress.

Pros: Intuitive, easy to use, built-in hosting and SSL certificates, good designs

Cons: Limited templates, this is where WordPress wins. But, it is nice because the platform is more intuitive and you don't need any coding experience.

• Reviewed on 28/08/2019
Brianna A.
Makeup artist
Cosmetics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 4/12/2019

"Love! Love! Love!"

Comments: Excellent experience overall, I had one little hiccup that was my own fault and the customer service team helped out so quick!

Pros: This site was extremely user friendly! I originally considered having someone build my website for me but I quickly changed my mind after exploring all of the options with Squarespace. It allowed me to first create a platform For free until I was ready to pay. I was able to do my entire website n the free version and once I had my funds together BOOM! A full site up and running! My greatest accomplishment this year, getting my website together!

Cons: There isn’t Anything bad I can say about this platform. It was so extremely user friendly! If I say anything bad I’d be lying.

• Reviewed on 4/12/2019
Marouane T.
Software Engineer
Online Media, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/04/2019

"Quick, Affordable, Inexpensive Website Solution For All"

Comments: Squarespace made the process of creating and publishing my website quick, easy and inexpensive. I have never had a problem setting up or using the service.

Pros: Squarespace makes creating and launching a website super easy, I might even call the process fun. The interface is intuitive and the library of themes makes it so you don't have to start from scratch, just find something that suits your tastes and requirements, add in your resources, replacing the stock ones and you're off. I have recommended Squarespace to people who have no experience building websites and they've managed to make some truly impressive sites with their limited knowledge and experience. The solution is very inexpensive, perfect for small businesses for freelancers but can easily be used for much larger businesses. The eCommerce aspect of a site can usually be the daunting part but Squarespace makes it easy. There really isn't more to say, if you need a website, try Squarespace.

Cons: The service has not failed me yet and any time I've reached out to support to ask something replies have be prompt. I have no gripes with Squarespace and I can recommend it to anyone.

• Reviewed on 9/04/2019
Amber C.
Inbound Marketing Strategist
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Best For Those With No Web Dev Experience"

Comments: Overall, if you have very little experience with web development, Squarespace is a great tool to create an eCommerce Website or regular website. If you know the team members that will be updating your website have very little experience, Squarespace will be easy for them to figure out. In our marketing business, we typically only work with Squarespace when a client has a pre-existing site on the platform that they do not want to move. We typically recommend Wordpress or Hubspot depending on budget and other needs, just due to the flexibility of each platform.

Pros: Squarespace is incredibly easy to use. With easy user interfaces and a "What You See Is What You Get" editor, they make it easy to create beautiful websites with little experience.

Cons: Because Squarespace is easy to use, it leaves some advanced features to desire. The templates are more restrictive and I find as an experienced web developer, I often get frustrated with what I cannot do in Squarespace that I can do in Wordpress. You'll also pay more for Squarespace than you would if you used Wordpress and your own hosting.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Pardot Marketing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2019

"Great for new entrepreneurs without coding experience"

Comments: Squarespace was great when I was first starting my business and helped me demonstrate professionalism and efficiency to my clients.

Pros: Squarespace's easy to navigate design and drag and drop features make it perfect for a beginning entrepreneur who have no experience with coding. There are multiple themes to fit any business that integrate seamlessly with many email platforms.

Cons: If you need to cancel your subscription you can't keep your data and it's not easy to change to new themes from your existing one without having to redesign a bit.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2019
Matthew B.
Operations Manager
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Secure, Easy, Fast"

Comments: Squarespace was a great switch to make after experience security and functionality problems with WordPress.

Pros: Squarespace takes all of the guess work out of building a functional, fast, and beautiful website for current and new customers.

Cons: Some functions you may want to customize might be unavailable depending on the template you choose. You could easily have a site that looks too similar to another company if your brand message isn't solid, as templates are pretty stock. Some features are locked behind a premium plan.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Jared W.
Health Commissioner
Government Administration, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2019

"Point and Click Web Design"

Pros: My grandma could build a webpage with Squarespace. Her grandma could have done it too. It is really that easy to make an honest to goodness professional website. In my small office, we have given editing access to several members of our staff, and allow them to update and improve the website at will. With the edit permission settings on Squarespace, they just can't mess things up. And if they do manage to destroy things, somehow, I know we can reconstruct the whole thing from scratch in an afternoon. The templates are that straightforward. We no longer need to pay a web designer to make changes and do upkeep for us.

Cons: The built in payment system is mandatory. For some businesses, like mine, we are mandated to use specific vendors for credit card processing and just can't go with the provided vendor. That is frustrating.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2019
Sarah M.
Legal Assistant
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2019

"Squarespace"

Comments: Overall, I use squarespace a moderate amount. We have an SEO company that did the initial website buildout and I add a blog every other week. And make changes if we rotate staff.

Pros: I like best about square space is that is it a good value for the service that it is. The price is reasonable, and it seems to be the best choice according to our SEO company.

Cons: I do not like the user interface for the blogs. The manipulation of the creation page could be easier to use. A lot of the times the things I try to add make the page “jumpy” and it distorts all the other blocks I have already added. It gets frustrating when you try to format a blog a certain way and you have to keep redoing it.

• Reviewed on 20/12/2019
Christopher C.
Marketing
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2019

"Great software, requires a couple of add-ons"

Pros: The ease of the editor is beyond any other and the ability to customize while keeping the site look good is great. Their library of templates helps for quick site creation.

Cons: The site on its own doesn't have fast load speed. Cloudflare or some other add-ons are needed to help in the process of creating an amazing website. Therefore, the costs add up a bit.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2019
Grace S.
Independent Web Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 3/06/2019

"Clean, Modern, User-Friendly Web Design"

Comments: My clients have had no complaints! It is a very reliable program.

Pros: I love that Squarespace is both user-friendly and customizable at the same time. As an independent web designer, it's nice to have the option to use coding to customize my work, while knowing that my clients will be able to access basic functionality as well. I also love Squarespace's templates – every template, no matter which style, has a very clean and modern look. Even the newest web designer can create something sophisticated with the help of the many templates.

Cons: Some templates have differing customizable elements (ie, some things that are customizable on one template are not on another). They do have style guides that list the functionality of all the templates, but I do wish there was an easier way to differentiate between the options (maybe a template comparison tool?).

• Reviewed on 3/06/2019