• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.6 /5

About BQE Core Suite

Integrated project accounting, time & expense, and billing software for architecture firms.

Learn more about BQE Core Suite

Amy G.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2020

"BQE provides strong support for customizations"

Comments: Overall experience has been nothing short of great. The strong support BQE offers for customization has resulted in effective time billing management but also leaves us with satisfied clients seeing their contracts clearly on a custom invoice based on their requirements.

Pros: Our company transitioned many years ago to BQE from a different software which was not as detail oriented as we needed for project budgets as well as client satisfaction on invoicing. Offering services to many different types of agencies - from federal to local government agencies to the private sector, each client requires a different level of detail on invoicing. In the past, we have found it very difficult to track time and transition those hours into a contract based invoice.

Cons: Would like to see more streamlined and simplified process of client credits. Right now the only way is to have it has a retainer.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2020
Cecilia T.
Financial and Operations Administrator
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2021

"We like invoicing in Core"

Comments: Time is good and so is billing

Pros: I like using the invoicing and payments process, quick and easy to follow through with CEO and clients. Reports are also great, just trying to figure out the best reports to use takes time and experience. We also use the Retainer aspect which is helpful for our clients, much better than trying to keep track of in manually in excel or quickbooks. My monthly financial meetings with the CEO and Principal have become extremely efficient when using the AR Aging report with retainage by easily showing what is outstanding including the retainage portion is important for them to understand. The Account Transactions report have been helpful when reconciling with clients or even project managers the balances owing by phase.

Cons: Most times I have to hit enter twice for CORE to respond...not sure if I am keying too fast? Being Canadian I would like to see the verbiage of "Retainage" changed to Holdback. Having Retainer and Retainage on the same report can cause confusion here up North! LOL! We don't use the work retainage; we just call it holdback.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2021
Stacy M.
Construction
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2015

"BillQuick - A look at one year post conversion"

Pros: BillQuick is a powerful tool in tracking project time and expenses for professional services. We converted from 7 years of Quick Books data. Although the conversion and integration was not a seemless process, and the learning curve was much longer than originally anticipated, we are now tracking project profitability at a much higher level than we ever have before.
BillQuick Tech Support is fantastic. They are patient and knowledgeable, and we have received a lot of added value by having the Gold Care Tech Support package added onto our services. Additionally, we have invested quite a bit of extra money on having Bill Quick Customization Department write customized reports. Although the standard reports section is extensive, we were unable to find reports that gave us exactly the data we wanted to see. It's nice that this additional service is offered, but it would be nice for them to give us a handful of customized reports as part of the conversion process and then charge extra from there on out.

Cons: The software is not as user-friendly as it could be. Some things are overly complicated and require detailed use before you understand the functionality of the software. It could not be more different that QuickBooks, and the transition for us was difficult. Personally, I highly underestimated the learning curve. In the beginning, we were only using BQ for time and expense logging and we maintained our Quick Books file for all other general accounting, which I would strongly discourage. Although the SYNC feature does work to sync data between programs, it is not a clean sync and much of it needed cleanup on either side of the sync. This was very frustrating. We just recently converted all of our general accounting in QB over to the Accounting portal in BillQuick. This has helped to have all of our financial records in one software system and our data is much more consistent. However, the "Accounting" portal is not perfect and there are a number of features that are lacking where QB has it all dialed in. Examples: 1) in looking at a vendor bill, there is no indication or PAID FLAT to see it has been PAID or not. To see if it is paid, I have to look at the previous checks. 2) In a report that lists all AP checks written for a particular time frame, there is no TOTAL at the end of the report. 3) BQ allows duplicate check numbers. (This is not a complete list, but the top 3 things that drive me insane.) These seem like basic accounting features and for them to not be included in an accounting software is frustrating. DISCLAIMER: we have not yet upgraded to BQ2015 and remain on BQ2014 for a while longer. My understanding is that BQ2015 has updated a number of accounting features, so I look forward to seeing if any of those issues are remedied.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2015
Kerrie D.
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2020

"Invoices have been easier to process compared to previous software"

Comments: Overall experience is great. As mentioned we experiencing error free time tracking, billing and the presentation of invoices is far better.

Pros: We use the time, billing and accounting functions frequently and it has made my job a lot easier and smoother compared to tracking down expenses and time for the team members. Processing reports are simple as well. Less error of tracking time/expenses as compared to our previous software. Invoices are more accurate. Invoices look professional and clean.

Cons: Cannot think of anything at this time. We are really enjoying the software

• Reviewed on 23/07/2020
Laura S.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 11/05/2020

"Core has been an integral in helping us to understand and grow our business"

Comments: Overall experience has been great as we use Core for our integrated accounting, time/expenses, and invoices, and it has been integral in helping us to understand and grow our business in the first year.

Pros: A little over one year back as we started up our new business I was researching for the best accounting, time and expense tracking and billing software. I selected BQE Core because it had an intuitive interface, easy reporting and it was on cloud. For any startup business the cost is always a big factor, the fact that BQE Core was a fraction of other similar software packages was an added bonus! We use BQE for our integrated accounting, time/expenses, and invoices, and it has been integral in helping us to understand and grow our business in the first year. At every moment, I have the info available to understand my cash flow, liabilities and A/R all in one interface, which never would have been possible if I used other accounting software.

Cons: In a separate excel doc I track our projected income and expenses for each two-week period so I can plan cash expenditure. If BQE had a feature to track overhead and projections in relation to billable work, that would really integrate all functionality in one software. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions for improvement.

• Reviewed on 11/05/2020
Cheri F.
Controller
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2017

"Great Customer Service and Support"

Comments: I just want to witness to the fact that everything that Engineering Office says about their wonderful support is true. A lot of companies over embellish and when you have a problem it is like pulling teeth to get some help. Not at Engineering office. They respond to phone calls and emails very quickly. The employees that they have in training and support should be the jewels in their crown. I have had the pleasure of working through frustrating problems with customer support, only to find it is some small thing and getting it fixed or training me to fix it goes quickly. Customer support representatives are FABULOUS and they have great patience and compassion for their customers. They realize that customers can't fix everything and that sometimes it is just beyond us. I learned this software quickly and came to a company that had not set it up correctly and nothing Sync'd together right. Customer support representatives held my hand and walked me through knowing that I was under a deadline. That is what is wonderful about this support team. They are human and they realize that you are human too and that things happen and they are there to guide the way, educate, and even fix the big problems. Anyone who chooses this software should realize that the Maintenance and Support fee that you pay is well worth it. Keep up the good work. It is very appreciated by your Customers.

Pros: It is very easy to use and you can learn it quite quickly with help of online webinars, the help pages, and just fishing around in the menus. Very clear and concise.

Cons: I wish that the SYNC process was done with a macro and I didn't have to do anything more than schedule it to go.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2017
Autumn H.
Accounting Specialist
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2020

"Core has been a huge time saving for us.."

Comments: It is such a user-friendly software program and the customer service is definitely great.

Pros: Core has been a huge time savings for us. The ease of creating invoices, making and customizing reports, and entering time has improved our ability to get more done overall. We have been very pleased with all aspects of customer service, the integration team, custom reports team, trainers, and call center for the one off type questions and issues. We would recommend Core to anyone on the fence about the service. It is such a user-friendly software program

Cons: There was a bit of a learning curve in the beginning and training coordination was somewhat challenging but nothing extraordinary.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2020
Janiece W.
Director of Operations
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/10/2020

"Using Core has helped us analyze our data better"

Pros: This software has lot of features and the best part is you can pick and choose the features that best fit your business. Although, Core is feature rich it is amazing how intuitive this software is. Support is great but most of the times we are able to figure out or answer our own questions if we get stuck that how simple and user friendly Core is. After switching to Core our management team is able to analyze the real time data to figure out the areas of improvement.

Cons: No real changes to suggest as of yet. There is already a lot to absorb. Anytime we need help or improvement in the software we send the feedback to BQE

• Reviewed on 8/10/2020
Claudia R.
IT Manager
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2020

"We have a pleasant experience with Core as compared to previous software"

Comments: In general, we have a pleasant experience as compared to our previous software. Core works appropriately and has solved our time and expense and billing problems significantly.

Pros: Core has a easy and intuitive user interface which makes our day to day processes easier. With Core being a cloud software close to 200 employees are using it on a daily basis for time and expense tracking, billing and engagement management. Our business is not a typical accounting firm with 1 or 2 billing person, we have 75 people in our billing department that do invoice simultaneously out of Core. Prior to switching to Core it was a daunting task. All the processes are faster and better with Core. It is is our main business management software and we before it we had a local system installed on our servers.

Cons: More tools for creating reports according to our needs and more options for administrators

• Reviewed on 17/06/2020
Felice G.
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2020

"BQE Core"

Comments: Overall I would say this has been a positive experience and I really enjoy using this software. I felt that BQE Core values us as a customer.
As with any big change like implementing a new software for project management, client management, accounting, etc. - and Core can do it all - you need to have patience and realize that it isn't going to be smooth sailing every day, but just hang in there because it is worth it.

Pros: BQE Core has many features, some of which we are still learning about and how they can benefit our team. The customer service is outstanding, as are the webinars in a variety of topics.

Cons: I went through a change of software with a previous company so I had experience with this, but I was surprised when we were implementing BQE Core that we were not assigned a point of contact for any problems we were having who could guide us through the upheaval. The customer service is great, but nothing beats having one person who knows you and the struggles you may be having.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2020
Jeff B.
Chemical Engineer
Chemicals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2019

"Our small business has been using Core for about a year now"

Pros: Our small business has been using Core for about a year now. At this point it is difficult to imagine how our business timesheets, expenses, and invoices operated without Core. We enjoy the flexibility it allows us to utilize the functionality we need without being forced to use or pay for features that don’t apply to our unique business. We continue to expand the ways Core helps our business through learning new features, creating custom reports, and exporting helpful information. As our business has grow BQE has worked with us to help stay on top of our growing needs

Cons: Improvement in Scroll & update issue – when doing batch edits to approve time, update bill rates, etc. the only items actually edited are those that load. We only have 15 employees, but a month worth of time can take a very long time to scroll through. There should be an override to load all or apply to all rather than having to scroll through hundreds of entries, loading more every 3-4 seconds.

Diane F.
Operations Manager
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/10/2016

"High Value Product"

Comments: I have found that the online product provides nearly all of the functionality that we need and it has certainly provides a more positive user experience than previous software we have used. This is a solid product at a price point that is reasonable for my small company. I greatly appreciate the prompt support and excellent customer service whenever I have run into questions or problems. The program has been easy for my staff to use and this has increased the adoption and decreased my workload. There are a few things I would do to improve the program but BQE does seem to be continually evaluating and improving the product.

Pros: Mobility, portability, storage for project documentation/contracts, ease of use/user interface, user support/customer service.

Cons: The online product does not have report previews and it is fairly difficult to narrow down specific reports that will be most helpful. In general it would be nice to have optional report customization without incurring fees. No archive/unarchive in the BQEonline.

• Reviewed on 6/10/2016
Douglas C.
Database Specialist
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2019

"Overall, it is efficient and beats spreadsheets in Excel"

Pros: Overall, it is an efficient method and beats the spreadsheets in excel. Ultimately, the tool is only as good as the user and in the right hands any tool would suffice, but in the wrong hands no tool would produce a masterwork. Customer support is great, they are able to guide us and withing seconds to minutes we are able to validate the solution provided.

Cons: That sometimes it does not work as intended. Sometimes I need to perform the same action multiple times such as saving & refreshing in an effort to clear the stack of memory and have it read properly.

by BQE Software on 23/07/2019

Doug thanks so much for your review! We are glad you have the support needed

• Reviewed on 22/07/2019
Elizabeth F.
Financial Manager
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2017

"Longtime Customer"

Comments: Customer support is wonderful, much better than it was even three years ago.

Pros: The software can do almost anything that you need it to, you just need to have a lot of time to figure it out. The customer support is wonderful!

Cons: The reports are not very user-friendly, they are very rigid and I can't drill down on the report to see where my number are originating. Also, I don't like to get invoiced in July for an upgraded product that won't come out until the following year. I don't like getting calls to pay the July invoice that is not due until September. I will get a weekly call even though my invoice is not overdue. That is frustrating.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2017
Jon M.
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 8/07/2011

Comments: We are a structural engineering consulting firm with many types and scales of building design and specialty design projects. We also perform commercial and residential inspections. Our client base often has differing preferences on how we present invoices. Our old system was difficult to use, and we struggled to produce and track our invoices in the way our clients wanted. We switched to this system due to the ease of use and regularity of generating meaningful reports for the principals in charge. Using BillQuick, we were able to quickly present the health of the company's projects, proving the value our clients and employees provided the company as a whole. An added factor influencing our decision was the reports that project managers can generate with a few clicks of a button. This helped us with budget control and billing maintenance, leading to better project information easily accessible to everyone when the data is most needed. We are currently using BillQuick version 11. We bought the software in March of 2011 (then version 10). Version 11 came out prior to full implementation. Our company was able to easily adapt to the change in timesheet software entry with very little direction, with the exception of the non-billable hours not being set to 0 hrs in the B-Hours. This is now done manually for billing purposes, but has been requested to be an option for the automatic 0 hours for a future release. The customer support line is a little difficult to get on the line sometimes, but the people I have spoken with are always friendly and helpful. We will benefit from the new system because everyone will now have access to information at the project level now, instead of just at the business management level. We also boost productivity by having our own standard invoice templates incorporated into the BillQuick system, adding a level of communication for both the project managers and the clients involved on any given project.

• Reviewed on 8/07/2011
Lee P.
President / CEO
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2019

"It's about time"

Pros: I've been using BQE product for more than 20 years. This is the best product thus far I have enjoyed working in after a long long time. Ease of use with excellent support. We extensively use it for easy to use time tracking and robust invoicing features

Cons: Ability to customize reports would be a great addition.

by BQE Software on 15/03/2019

Hi Paul
Thrilled to continue having you as a long time customer! We appreciate you being part of the BQE family. We have custom reporting please feel free to reach out to your rep for more information. Thank you!

• Reviewed on 14/03/2019
Edward A.
Structural Engineer
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2018

"I am a small consulting engineering firm and use this for time accounting and invoicing. Additioanl features and capabilites are available as I grow into them."

Pros: This is fairly intuitive for a non-programming type of user. Results have been good and reliable. Support help has been very good, both from my account rep and tech support. It is good to have backup when things get lost, and BQE has been there. I look forward to exploring other features as my needs grow.

Cons: I have the basic level program and am curious about extended planning tools and features. We will see if these are as intuitive and the basic functions.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2018
Joseph H.
Architecture & Planning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/08/2016

"BillQuick, an outstanding product for professional service firms!"

Comments: We switched to Bill Quick at just the right time! It allowed us to respond to client demanded invoice templates and enabled us to continue to grow without adding additional back office support staff. The mobile app is also great for time and expense entry and so is web suite for all our remote offices and mobile staff. Billing can be accomplished quickly with this product!

Cons: We work on the east coast and from time to time we have needed morning support and had to wait until support staff arrived at BQE who works in the pacific time zone. Not a major issue by any means, but still resulted is some downtime that otherwise could have been eliminated.

by BQE Software on 3/08/2016

Joseph, we are glad that BillQuick has been working great for you. Thanks for the feedback.

• Reviewed on 2/08/2016
Cottie C.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Reviewed on 9/08/2016

"I have used BillQuick since 2005"

Pros: The product: affordable, flexible, and user friendly.

Please take their free webinars to have a general idea first. it's worth to get their Implementation and Training Services. When you have issues, call them immediately.
We process monthly invoices within three days, so we have the rest of month to manage project budgets, employee performances, schedule project meetings, etc. The vendor: They have the BEST support team. They are always there to help me, I especially thank their assistant floor manager, Ricardo Andrade. He is always patient, friendly and supportive.

Cons: None. I like them very much and have recommended them to my important customer.

• Reviewed on 9/08/2016
Ashley M.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2017

"BillQuick has made our life easier"

Comments: I highly recommend it

Pros: I would definitely say BillQuick has made our life easier. It is very easy to use and handles our time and expense tracking on projects. Integration with QuickBooks works really well and it saves double data entry. Whenever we need any help their customer service has been outstanding.

Cons: Cannot think of anything. We have been using BillQuick for 7 years and whenever there has been an issue with the software BQE has been there to support us

• Reviewed on 20/06/2017
Debra S.
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2016

"Absolutely fabulous for tracking time and doing invoices easily!!!"

Pros: The ability to track hours easily and to do invoices easily. The options for how to handle a project a great too - hourly and stipulated sum with budget %. CUSTOMER SUPPORT is absolutely FABULOUS. Have never worked with a software vendor that gives this level of customer support; I've always had every question answered and any problems fixed right away. And when you send an e-mail asking for help, it is followed up in a timely manner.

Cons: The time clock on the hours can't be adjusted to fit the situation. But, there are other free software programs that will track this and then the data can be dropped into ArchiOffice.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2016
Della W.
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2017

"Invoice Templates"

Comments: The invoice templates need more features that will separate expenses from Vendor (Consultant). It's impossible to have a true billed-to-date for expenses and consultants because they are lumped together as an expense. I have been told that I can purchase a template just for our company that will do this but I think it should come as a feature already. Other than that, I think the BQuick is a very good program for the Architect industry.

Pros: Timesheet entry is very easy and only as accurate as your data entry. Project setup and Client setup is very user-friendly.

Cons: Would like to see more variations of invoice templates.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2017
Perri S.
bookkeeper/ office manager
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees

"amazing support!"

Pros: The software handles billing and time expense with great ease! There are 100s of invoice templates to choose from, as well as a report for any situation. I especially liked liked the Link to QuickBooks. Very useful. I've never had any kind of technical/ software support that was available immediately with No Wait!!! Pleasant and always Professional.

Cons: The availability of 100s of reports, invoices, and other options does make the software a bit complicated for the new user. Thank goodness you can call for help!

by BQE Software on 28/03/2019

Perri,thank you for the wonderful feedback, and glad you know you can always count on us to help. We appreciate and value your feedback

Kevin G.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2015

"It just doesn't work. Jeopardizes your company's financial livelihood."

Pros: Absolutely Nothing. Their software doesn't work yet they sell it as a "solution".

Cons: I have no confidence the software is doing what it should and always have to manually double check to make sure it's billing all time at the correct rates, and that it does the math properly. With the online version, you have no guarantee that your month end download contains all your data, and you may end up not billing critical time on your invoice. This cost us lost revenue with one of our clients. The desktop database (MS Access version) is unstable. We had the database get corrupted (become unusable) and lost a week worth of data. Besides becoming completely unusable, we have seen past data within the database change: hours being lost, rates being deleted, expenses being deleted, vendor hours being reallocated to another vendor’s bill, and others. There is no guarantee that past data within the database will remain accurate. Billquick is aware of these two major issues (online version not downloading the entire dataset, and the instability MS Access version) yet they continue to sell both of these products as "software solutions".

• Reviewed on 5/12/2015
Martin H.
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2016

"A well rounded time and billing system"

Comments: The system is very comprehensive and flexible. We've got a number of divisions that each operate quite differently and BQ handles them all. In a few cases, the BQ staff have been able to work with us to provide customization that proved very helpful. Training and support is an area where BQ really shines. You can always get helpful support when you need it. We also value that the software is DCAA compliant.

Cons: Integration with QuickBooks is not as good as they advertise, and information only flows easily one way. Also, the accounting package which cost extra has a long way to go before it comes close to the functionality of QuickBooks. The fact that it doesn't import Quickbooks reports was a major reason we don't use this add-on.

by BQE Software on 1/08/2016

Thanks for your feedback, Martin. Much appreciated!

• Reviewed on 29/07/2016