Extremely Useful Resource

Gordon S.
Director of Research
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use Caspio to help distribute data, to inform stakeholders, to allow users to narrow results and answer their questions, and to hopefully allow for a stronger understanding of what we do (our business plan) and how we do that (our business model). Ultimately, as a public research university's academic program, we need to provide transparency and accountability.

Pros: Ease of use, ability to develop skills within and while using the software. Online tutorials (including YouTube videos/projects) are very helpful.

Cons: Some of the definitions for associations between fields (e.g., cascading listbox...) can at first leave a new user uncertain about how the form or data-page will function.

Definitely not NO CODE, add-ons kill value, good for basic apps.

Reviewed on 13/07/2018
Research, Education and Technology Speacialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Quick "basic" web app and form creation.

Pros: Tough review because I like Caspio. And the support is generally pretty good. Basic apps and workflows are pretty easy and intuitive.

Cons: The No Code Needed is very misleading. Most workflows and apps I have built or needed required some functionality that had to be "custom coded" with javascript. There was no out of the box option for some database/app functions I thought would be standard. If you look at the support forums there are a lot of people stuck needing special code written to make it do what they need: https://forums.caspio.com/forum/49-caspio-javascript-solutions/ And calls into tech support often ended with "you will have to have some custom code written to accomplish that" for a fee. If you are a Javascript guru, you will be much better off. But the friendly pictures on their website of small business owners touting no code I'm not sure is a reality for most. If you are going to use it I would recommend the pro level because the costs add up after you use 5 data pages. Other seemingly basic options also come at a cost. To be able to select previously uploaded files in a report to download them was an additional feature. I think its more for businesses with some tech staff that needs out of the box apps built but then they can code to tweak. Average Joe, not so much.

Great product, expensive for what you can do.

Reviewed on 11/06/2017
Anthony M.
IT Support
Retail, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Great database, you can make almost anything you want.

Pros: -It works great
-Easy to learn, takes maybe 2 weeks to learn, it's not as easy as using email but you can build very great stuff with it.
-You can almost do whatever you can think of.

Cons: With basic version, which you can do almost nothing with, 5 data pages not much, you can maybe build one useful thing or two.
-ONLY 500 MB, used it in first week trying to learn how to work with all the 5 datapages.
-Went over with 250 MB charged another amount. Really expensive.
-If you have a small company I would NOT recommend caspio, if you have a bigger company and can pay for monthly that would be great, maybe then you can outsource to a company in India also
-Basic NO unlimited support, 5 cases (which would be oke if you got more datapages and MB).
-Support is difficult because you have to explain with chatting what the problem is, try that with a database, it's just really difficult, yes you can give them permission to access your database and help you out but they don't really do it. Yes, they have a free option for 3 datapages and 250 mb which you really can't do much, in 3 days just by logging in you would have used it up). I think caspio is great but the pricing hinders them from becoming the most used online database. I do hope they lower the price in the future or just fix their pricing structure each time we have to pay it just sucks the joy out of the database. We don't mind paying but the value and the price are not in sync. I did not find a better option yet for databases, but will probably be designing our own.

Definitely not "no-code", but still low-code and very powerful

Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Co-Founder and CEO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I felt very empowered with Caspio, but kept running into walls. I don't know Javascript or HTML so anything code-related that wasn't laid out exactly within a tutorial was frustrating to tackle. I also struggled to build out a front-end that looked good and tied to the datapages I was building, and the templates Caspio provided me still required that I knew web development to get running, and I did not know how to customize them. I did appreciate that pages could be easily embedded within Wordpress or other website builders. If I knew how to code, I would definitely use Caspio though. It gets thing up and running sooo fast. Using as a base for the backend is a great idea as it is 100% customizable. In that case I would totally recommend.

Pros: It is 100% customizable, and there are tutorials for just about everything. The community forums are also active, with Caspio support actively participating. Professional Services seemed very capable and able to do just about anything for you if you needed it.

Cons: For just about everything I wanted to do there was some need for a "custom" solution, and I was heavily dependent on my account manager who was always ready to refer me to Professional Services for even simple integrations.

by Caspio on 15/11/2019

Thank you for the valuable feedback. While many complex applications can be fully developed using Caspio's point-and-click and drag-and-drop tools, the ability to extend the platform via industry standard languages such as JavaScript, HTML, CSS and SQL opens up additional capabilities to innovate and build something truly unique. Thank you again for your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it on to our team internally.

Caspio: A Superb Database Solution

Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Jackson Y.
Projects Officer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: A recent update (v19) impacted all the database applications created in Caspio. However, after using the ticketing system (1st in 2 years of licensing), they responded with fixes immediately within 1 business day. Impressive customer service on that front but not so much with testing of updates/patches.

Pros: Caspio is very flexible allowing users to easily create many types of databases (submission forms, search engines, web pages, CRMs, Analytics etc).

Cons: There is no easy backup solution. Caspio allows for 1 complimentary restore but will charge for additional. If they allowed the user to self backup and restore, this would be a bonus.

Caspio used to in a cold case homicide to organize massive unstructured data

Reviewed on 30/10/2019
Ron B.
President & Founder
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Given the power of the Caspio platform and my experience with the product, within 6 hours, I had a functioning portal that enabled us to manage a large amount of unstructured data fully deployed.

Pros: Caspio was the perfect platform by which to organize a massive amount of unstructured data while Apprentice University helped the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department attempt to solve a 14-year old cold case homicide.

Cons: I've been using Caspio for approximately 10 years... I know the platform *really* well and, as such, I know where to push the product and where its limitations are. I did have to find an alternative solution to create an X-Y scatter plot as the Caspio tools fell short of my needs in this case, but otherwise, there was nothing I disliked about the platform for this application.

A small business's view of Caspio

Reviewed on 10/11/2019
Col B.
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We operate tour business offering custom built tours. We looked at many packages but they restricted us in managing and delivering the style and customer service levels we are known for.

Pros: We have a custom built system built on Caspio. It works very well. As a small growing business we have been able to make changes and grow our system as things arround and our needs change. The support has been outstanding.

Cons: The platform is inconsistent in implementation which slows the learning curve and frustrates development. Professional presentation of results is often difficult to impossible without scripts (and i cant write script)

Great potential, but stay away if you're not an enterprise client

Reviewed on 9/07/2018
Craig R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: - Basic database builder tools have more built-in options than similar software, so it's easier and faster to build more complex setups - If you don't know code, the interface and logic is very close to MS Excel, so the learning curve isn't too bad - Easy to embed and publish applications - Has an unlimited app user model (though not administrators), which is superior to other database app builders that limit user capabilities and charge based on users. This is ideal for customer-facing applications where users need to be able to more advanced functions outside of simply viewing. - Offer a free plan that is fairly well featured, though would only be useful for internal or personal apps

Cons: - Pricing structure is highly frustrating for a small business user or team. Basic paid plans have no access to APIs, Zapier, or automation/importing, which is high for the base plan compared to similar apps. To get those features, the next level jumps over 4x higher. - "Datapages" allotted for each plan (which is the foundation of the app) are misleading since similar competitors use an allowed number of "apps". Some basic applications in Caspio need 10-20 data pages, but the basic plan only allows 5. Ultimately a large amount of time was spent figuring out how to cut out pages and combine features, killing user experience. - Had a bad experience with customer support (sales) when I accidentally deleted an entire table. Was informed that as a basic/free trial user they would have to charge me to get the table back, even though it existed. And days saved was only a few, so had to quickly decide. They were not sympathetic to my plight even as I was in the evaluation stage. - If you're a major enterprise with a large budget and some programmers, Caspio may be an ideal solution. If you're a small business, be very careful when evaluating and I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The subscription models and definitions are confusing and you may find yourself with an app built during the free trial and realizing you can't possibly afford to launch it.

Saved our team!

Reviewed on 7/12/2018
Practice Director
Mental Health Care, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Great solution for a company that is using a "guided selling" process or needs a filter-like database to help their team serve customers. I'm sure there's other applications, but we've loved it for this.

Pros: We were using a small online database app for our scheduling team to have a searchable directory of 100+ clinicians by speciality. That website suddenly shut down and we had to scramble to rebuild. Caspio, found during a late night search, not only saved our team but added huge improvements over the previous software. Love it.

Cons: If you haven't built databases before, it might be hard the first time. Plenty of years of toying with stuff like this though and I had it up and running in a few hours.

Caspio Implementation Review

Reviewed on 8/01/2019
David T.
Chief Technology Officer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have produced several excellent, complicated applications with Caspio, using a 2-person team.

Pros: Many easy to use features, simple "point and click" setup, excellent training, online explanation videos, and live technical chat

Cons: Very many features - so best to have a brief consult with Caspio to get started in the best direction

Excellent foundation for applications

Reviewed on 16/04/2017
David T.
CTO
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: After a couple of weeks of learning curve to become familiar with the terminology, we quickly configured 2 applications. The Online Live Training was the best of any product we have ever purchased. The Live Chat was responsive and always solved questions or difficulties. In fact, the support is maybe the best features of Caspio! Lots of good videos. This product saved us huge amounts of time and money in avoiding the repetitive but expensive standard traditional coding.

Pros: Ease of use and capability to do 85% of a business application. The support was just the best, and helped us with no extra charge for technical advice or suggestions. Pricing is very attractive as unlimited database size or number of end users. API Set is good.

Cons: Caspio is lacking Scheduled Tasks, so we had to use their API Set to set up some tasks external to Caspio

Caspio with Cambridge Exams

Reviewed on 10/02/2017
Daren W.
Senior Manager
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have been using Caspio since 2014. We use it for all of our administration for Cambridge English Examinations in Switzerland from exam preparation, timetabling, candidature and archiving. With the updates that Caspio continuously make it has become a tool that we trust 100%

Pros: Ease of use

Cons: Mistakes I made with the initial setup...but they have been resolved

Triumphant, Caspio low code platform allowed me to build a CRM with in days to organize sales calls.

Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Christopher C.
Business Development/ CRM Management
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The ability to build a fully functional custom CRM system with API calls in the 30 days is great. The price point of this product makes it accessible for start-ups that are budget conscious.

Pros: The software is adaptable and I am able to quickly create a report or triggered action to generate a variety of reports and share information in real time with colleagues. The ability to set up a fully functional Client Relationships Management System with in the 15 days. We continue through the tutorial videos and client support to develop unique reports for my colleagues.

Cons: Technical support is easier to reach by the chat function instead of phone. Expediting an emergency tech issue is not reached easily. On some occasions the explanation is lacking sufficient detail.

There are better options

Reviewed on 28/05/2019
IT Specialist
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I can in as the 3rd administrator for forms that were developed by Caspio's professional services. The back end was unintuitive and the front end broke a few times each month

Pros: Caspio is great for simple forms and downloadable results

Cons: Whenever you need more complex functionality, Caspio becomes far more complex and difficult to use than setting up a standalone SQL instance

by Caspio on 16/11/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're sorry you didn't have the best experience. While many complex applications can be fully developed using Caspio's point-and-click and drag-and-drop tools, the ability to extend the platform via industry standard languages such as JavaScript, HTML, CSS and SQL opens up additional capabilities to innovate and build something truly unique. Thank you again for your feedback.

Easy to Use with Ever-Expanding Features

Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Erin F.
Analytics Engineer
13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Super Easy to Use and minimal code necessary
Robust relational database
Customer Support is extremely helpful

Cons: Professional Services is slow and incompetent
Parameter passing is tricky and at times does not work

Review for Caspio!

Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Harmandeep S.
Software Engineer
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The product has a lot of good features and functionalities. It is pretty easy to generate reports and it could be done by anyone on the team as it has almost no learning curve.

Cons: Just a bit difficult when you're accessing the application for the first time as it has so many things. Couldn't setup schedule task so we require some other tools to set it up.

Quick fix solutions for smaller data sets

Reviewed on 24/02/2017
Allison M.
Sr. Manager, Global Account Deployment
Hospitality, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Caspio is a great tool to consume smaller data sets and turn them into an actual database management system without having to understand any database requirements or logic. It is so easy to upload any number of spreadsheets and create a database tool. Great for smaller data sets that are currently managed in an excel format. The tool is super easy to use, requires minimal instruction and you can have someone up and running in a day.

Pros: ease of use, ability to consume any type of excel file

Caspio

Reviewed on 9/01/2019
Jim A.
EDI Manager
Automotive, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Awesome experience. It's actually very rewarding to see your completed Apps and have them deployed.

Pros: The ease in which you can create apps with a cloud based DB behind them. Very flexible and powerful.

Cons: I really have no complaints. It has been a great tool so far.

not very intuitive for non coders

Reviewed on 16/07/2019
Chief Data Officer
Market Research, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I tried to build a portal where paid users could subscribe to receive information. However, I abandoned the project after not making enough progress on the free version.

Pros: The concept is great. Caspio should enable you to create custom software without having to need to code.

Cons: For a no-code environment it's actually not very user friendly. To build something meaningful you would need expert assistance and you would need to purchase a plan before you can reach that stage.

by Caspio on 1/11/2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're sorry you didn't get a chance to complete your project. Caspio offers many training resources to help you get started. You can browse our popular YouTube channel, attend our live web-based training sessions, or check out our online help center. One video that might be of interest when dealing with user registration and retrieving authenticated data is our video on how to build a membership directory. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your feedback and we look forward to assisting you if additional needs arise.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/caspioinc

Shasha A.
data analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Great customer support if I have a standard Caspio question.

Pros: Customize to a way I like for my company to communicate internally and to our partners

Cons: some of the feathers are not available. Needs more colorful feather and navigation bar built in.
right now it doesn't allow link between tables and views

brilliant experience

Reviewed on 11/12/2017
Jude D.
IT Administrator
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: For me learning how to use caspio was very easy but what I loved the most was the way it integrated with my website

Cons: Not a lot, I don't like the fact that you have to access another software to build forms on the database.

Great tool for database projects!

Reviewed on 22/10/2014
Anthony L.
Customer Support

Comments: Our department had an old Access database that's getting more difficult to maintain every day. We were researching tools to migrate it online and came across Caspio. Their user interface is clean and pretty easy to navigate. Customer support is THE BEST: the staff I worked with were all fast in response and very knowledgeable about the product. Helps me out every time! They also have a good amount of video tutorials and articles which I found to be very helpful too. I would recommend Caspio for all kinds of database-driven applications.

Create Online Databases

Reviewed on 14/06/2012
Marya S.
Customer Support

Comments: We use Caspio to create online databases. With the app you can also create web applications and web forms. The best thing about Caspio is that it requires no programming and that´s exactly what I was looking for. There are no technical hurdles!

Pros: No technical hurdles
Conversion from MS Access

Cons: When using the app for the first time it seems difficult to find what you really need.

Reviewed on 1/11/2016