• Overall
    4.5 /5

About Float

Resource management for agencies, studios, & firms. Trusted by thousands of teams globally to plan project resources & manage capacity.

Learn more about Float

Showing 1,148 reviews

Chris M.
Architecture visualisation Artist
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2021

"Great Software for Time management, Simple to use and easy to follow in realtime"

Pros: It's simple user interface makes it easy to follow for any user. It also has real time update capability so that you are always informed of what you should be working on at any current time.

Cons: I think tasks and notes should be displayed in small font or more obvious when you log time. The little note in the top right hand corner of the project tag can easily be missed, Also a feature to unlog time, instead of having to remember if you misclick

Jonathan K.
Training Manager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/08/2019

"So Glad I Found this Software!"

Comments: Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros: I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons: For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/08/2019

"Great Visual Tool for Resource Management"

Comments: We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros: With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons: Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

• Reviewed on 1/08/2019
Joseph B.
Resource planning intern
Environmental Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/09/2019

"Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues"

Comments: Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros: Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons: The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

• Reviewed on 9/09/2019
Mel D.
Planner
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2020

"Good for visibility"

Pros: Easy to use and it's simple to scroll backwards to check your historical or upcoming bookings. As a user it does all I need it to do.

Cons: I've previously used Synergist which was great for production resources as all the bookings automatically pre-populated timesheets ready to add hours and submit. I'm not sure if Float has this functionality but our organisation uses separate systems for both, and I find it does add a little more effort to time logging.

Hi Mel,

Thanks so much for your review! We do have a time-tracking add-on feature in Float that pre-filles your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. You can check out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float customers are welcome to a free 30 day trial of the feature. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings inside Float.

If you'd like a demo or have any questions about how time tracking works, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

• Reviewed on 16/08/2020
Alex V.
Developer
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2020

"Minimal and polished UI, but not lacking in features"

Pros: As a developer it's easy to get sidetracked. That's why we have project managers and Float. Float helps me not only keep track of what I should be doing and when I should be doing it, but it also helps me keep track of what my colleagues are doing. Especially now, when working from home is the new normal, it's really easy to check if one of my colleagues is working and if they might have some time available for me. All that without having to add 20 filters and navigate a complex UI. Float has all the features in all the right places but still manages to keep a minimal looking UI.

Cons: There are only minor annoyances I have with Float (they're more like nitpicks anyways). A filter to hide projects that aren't being worked on in the current week/month would be nice. Also, there's a lot of freedom when assigning colours to a project. Maybe some predefined colour palettes would work better and stop our our schedule from looking like a lego brick wall ;)

• Reviewed on 30/07/2020
Jonathan H.
Commercial Director
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2020

"Long time user and never found anything better"

Comments: It's a great app that helps us every single day to simply and effectively manage resource without the process becoming a chore.

Pros: Float is the most straightforward product in our software stack. Every new start knows how to use it within a few minutes of creating an account, and we are able to allocate our resource quickly without the software getting in the way of the work which I wish we could say about all of the products that we use.

Cons: Not really a criticism of float but I will be looking to find an agency management solution that has a float integration if possible and if not another method of sync as we would hate to leave float behind.

by Float on 10/09/2020

Thanks for your review Jonathan! You can check out our direct integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations, and please feel welcome to send any requests to [email protected]

• Reviewed on 21/08/2020
Sam C.
Head of Design
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2020

"Great for balancing our resources"

Comments: I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros: As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive. I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past. The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons: I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users.

Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float!

If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help!

Priti W.
Information Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2021

"Resource View"

Comments: It would be a perfect project management tool but needs more work. We are purely using it to manage resources and have other tools/softwares supplementing.

Pros: The visual look and similarity to the age old resourcing view that came out of excel. It makes scheduling easy

Cons: Spilt and having to right click and come back to add/edit every single time. Generally its working well for what we require of it

• Reviewed on 31/03/2021
Christine P.
Digital Producer
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/01/2019

"Does what it is meant to do really well"

Comments: It's been great. It's solved our issue of resourcing, and once your team is on board with using it however you decide, it is a really helpful and powerful (yet simple) tool to make sure communication and expectations of teams for the day is clear.

Pros: Float is made for resourcing at a high-level view. They do this well and in a visually appealing manner. Float is constantly improving as well with adding more helpful features. They are not trying to be a project management tool or something else, which I truly appreciate as I don't want too many bells and whistles on top of their core product.

Cons: I'd like the ability to clean and audit it a bit more, as we use it for a very large network, but that may be more on my company than Float to manage.

• Reviewed on 23/01/2019
Brent N.
Senior Product Designer

"I use float everyday"

Comments: We're juggling a bunch of different client projects. Float keeps me organized and sane.

Pros: I used to use Trello to stay on top of my projects, now i use float. I can see what everyone's working on, and plan around not only my presentations/deadlines but the entire companies.

Cons: i've never used float mobile. I'm trying to think of when I would though, usually I'm starting my day sitting at my computer looking at Float.

Hi Brent,

Thanks so much for your review! In case you do still use Trello too, we've just launched an integration so you can import cards into a sidebar in Float, and drag and drop them directly onto your schedule.

Feel free to check out the details here, https://www.float.com/blog/connect-trello-and-float.

Thanks again!

Ashleigh Z.
UX UI Designer
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2020

"Using Float in a Design Agency"

Comments: My overall eperince with float has been amazing, I have been able to see what is in store for me the following week after the lead designer delegates the work, I am able to track my time sheet accordingly, the colour coding of clients helps a ton at a quick glance.

Pros: Float offers collaboration for multiple users that interact with one another on a daily basis. It is really efficient to see at a glance who will be working with who and to calculate the number of hours spent on certain clients including meetings that are scheduled over and above the workload for said client. This is a very effective way to evaluate schedules, costings and collaboration.

Cons: Adding in items that are shorter than an hour that can still be readable at a glance, maybe increasing the standard bar height? Perhaps giving a weekly view in email in the form of a timeline. The verticle timeline doesn't sit with me well. I would also like to see something like Mondays fully integrated with float.

Boston H.
Video Content Creator
  • Reviewed on 8/02/2020

"Simple Project and Schedule Manager"

Pros: My company tried using Asana for about a year and found it too complicated to get everyone on the same page.
Then we went fully manual, by switching to spreadsheets for schedule and project management.
Float finds a nice middle ground of simplicity and interactive UI. It's great that managers can view everything from a project view and makers and creatives can look at just their own schedule. Plus the option to subscribe to an actual calendar format makes it easy to view our schedules on the go from our phones and personal devices.

Cons: I haven't found a way to specify what TIME of day things need to happen. When viewing from a subscribed calendar, every event is an "all day event"

• Reviewed on 8/02/2020
Mike M.
Managing Consultant
Computer & Network Security, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/09/2019

"Great for on the fly scheduling"

Comments: It's been very good for our consultants

Pros: Easy edits, flexible moving things around and visibility

Cons: Doesn't integrate with time sheets, could maybe use a bit more functionality

• Reviewed on 5/09/2019
Project Management Coordinator
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Does exactly what I need it to do"

Comments: Im able to easily schedule many people and if I need to reassign a task to someone else, thats very easy to do.

Pros: I like how I can go from day to day, week to week Month to Month etc very easily. I like that I can make the calendar. I like that it keeps the name of the Tasks in the history, very useful when assigning multiple people to the same task. and the fact its a shared calendar that updates in real time for the most part.

Cons: I don't like the how an assignment can easily be deleted (when I didn't mean to) I wish there was was something that popped up that asked "was I sure" Also, it doesn't appear the people who are read only cannot see the comments that are initially put in under a task.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2019
Kimberly W.
pocss
Medical Devices, 5,001-10,000 Employees

"Float"

Comments: I love the mobile app for Float which enables me to always know when something has been added to my schedule. As a contractor I am unable to receive emails on my personal phone so having the Float app allows me to stay in touch just in case something gets added to my schedule at the last minute.

Pros: I am an end user of Float. It allows me to see my schedule and my co-workers. I am able to keep up with locations of both myself and my co-workers at all times

Cons: My project manager makes all the changes in Float. However, she is amazing; therefore there is no need for me to do anything inside the software. So, I have not had a whole lot of experience working inside the software. I only know the end use which is extremely helpful.

Naaila C.
Lead Development Manager
Entertainment, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/08/2020

"Helped to automate manual plans"

Comments: I like using it and has sped up the process of blocking out rough plans and assigning weeks work to the team

Pros: The interface is very easy to use and onboard the team onto. It automated a lot of the manual entries we used to do across various schedules.

Cons: It would be handy to be able to make placeholder buckets for people where work hasn't yet been confirmed - at the time of writing it's only possible to plan alternative streams of work for a person by utilising a new track (paid license)

Hi Naalia,

Thanks for your review! It is possible to create tentative projects and tasks on your Float schedule. We have a support article available here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/28963-create-a-tentative-project. If you have any other questions or feedback, please email us at [email protected] We'd love to hear!

• Reviewed on 19/08/2020
Alexander D.
IT Consultant
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"float - Great for resource planning!"

Comments: We use float to keep an overview of free resources (Consultants) for project staffing. It is easy to identify wholes in the schedule and find people for short term ad-hoc projects.

Pros: We use the zapier integration to connect float to salesforce. This is how we automatically have our salesforce projects in float.

Cons: We plan about 160 resources and have well over 2000 projects. Sometimes float gets pretty flow and the scheduling takes a while becuase of the auto complete feature.

• Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Myndi D.
VP Account Services

"So Intuitive and Easy"

Comments: This program is helping us look at our pricing model to determine if we need to make any adjustments in how we bill. Additionally, the team members I am scheduling really like it. It gives them a clear picture of projects on them for the week and even weeks ahead.

Pros: This has been so easy for our company implement and the benefits of tracking $$ to time spent has been well worth it. So long Excel!

Cons: I wish I could build out our schedules from an end date automatically.

Laura V.
UX Designer
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2021

"Easy to use and time-saving"

Pros: I really appreciate the simple and easy-to-use design.
Being able to see what other collegues are doing is great, in this way it is easier to schedule tasks on different projects.

Cons: I suggest a new feature: a message the system could send in case of overlapping scheduling. The first scheduler could receive a message sent by the second one, in order to solve the problems in a quicker way

by Float on 22/03/2021

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for your review! Although we don't have in-app messaging, we do integrate with Slack and have a Microsoft Teams integration launching soon.
- Float Slack Notifications App:
- Float Slack Activity Feed App:

Siobhan @ Float

Allan G.
Senior Video Editor
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

"Float for three years"

Comments: We have used this for three years and will continue to use it. It is easy to use, functional and allows us to do everything we need.

Pros: We can easily book our team of editors on both commercial and internal jobs. We are the biggest media company in New Zealand and this has proven to be the best 'booking system' for running post production.

Cons: The iPhone app is a bit slow and clunky.

Justin H.
Delivery Director
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2019

"Serves our complex scheduling needs well"

Comments: Using Float has reduced the amount of time spent in scheduling meetings. It also allows us to collaborate with regard to resource allocation across remote teams, and aids in communication to assigned team members.

Pros: Visualisation of team member allocation across multiple projects. At a glance its easy to see who is allocated to what, and how many hours per day. Non-working days such as leave an public holidays are also handled well.

Cons: A lot of the great features can be hard to find at first. But I suppose this helps keep the UI for common tasks free of clutter.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2019
Tracy R.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 4/09/2019

"Very Useful"

Pros: The float has been a very important and helpful tool for our company projects and time management. We like that it is a visual way for us to map out and designate projects and time allocation. The time off feature and the milestones features have been very helpful.

Cons: It can be a bit tricky to use and there are not very many quick reference materials. The split tool gets stuck sometimes and there's no way to unsplit tasks. Sometimes the page does not allow us to input time off until we refresh the page.

• Reviewed on 4/09/2019
Jessie M.
Senior Account Executive
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"Very useful but would be nice to have a few more featured"

Comments: Im satisfied with Float and I'll continue using it. I wish there was the ability to add things like public holidays to timelines, and I wish that response time when you try to load something was a little faster

Pros: Fit for purpose - I use this for timelines and I cant think of any tool which would work better for that.

Cons: Its not very intuitive, so it takes some getting used to.

by Float on 3/09/2020

Hi Jessie,

Thanks so much for your review! Just to let you know there is an option to add local public holidays to your schedule. Feel free to view our support article here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/3281892-public-and-custom-holidays.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

Thanks,

• Reviewed on 26/08/2020
Programming Manager (Loop)

"Easy to use!"

Comments: The data it collects is really useful for analysing what my team works on and what projects take up the most resources.

Pros: Float is one of the most straight forward scheduling apps I've used. It has a nice clean UI and it's easy to drag and drop tasks around the calendar.

Cons: We still need to use other software to track the project status. It's not a full end-to-end solution.