Slack Reviews

4.7 (21,434) Write a Review!

About Slack

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Learn more about Slack

Pros:

And I have really enjoyed the community-centred interests people put into ensuring your challenges are taken care of is really encouraging. I love Slack for this singular effort.

Cons:

The only drawback is that we just have too many avenues where we connect and so Slack just got lost with all the other programs and didn't become a priority. This is why we no longer use it.

Slack ratings

4.6
4.4
4.5
4.5

8.9/10

Slack has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 21,434 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Slack before?

Filter reviews (21,434)

Karen
Karen
Bookkeeper in US
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Realtime notifications

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I use slack with the finance teams of the clients I work with. We use slack to send questions and get rapid responses.

Pros:

I work with clients all around the world, Slack is the best communication tool I have used. I am able to finish projects faster and more accurately with clients that use Slack than when using Email.

Cons:

Switching from businesses is some what complicated in the mobile app.

Goran
Owner in Croatia
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 Employees

The only way to communicate within a team

5.0 last month New

Comments: I use it for all manners of communication with my team - from quick huddles when we get stuck and need a rubber ducky moment, to bigger team meetings. We have groups for smaller teams to collaborate in, we have fun channels to blow off steam, and we even use it for the food train organization.

Pros:

It is easy to use and feels natural. For us coming from Discord or IRC, it is very intuitive to understand how to use it without any learning curve whatsoever. Slack helps me connect with coworkers, share project updates, send cat photos to my team, send random funny quotes, gifs, reactions, all of it still in a very professional application that handles all of my communication needs.

Cons:

Slack sometimes becomes too much, but it is easy to mute it to focus on work so this is easily solveable.

Matija
Principal in Croatia
Higher Education, 2-10 Employees

Comunication tool for biger projects

3.0 5 days ago New

Comments: We use it for specific international project and overall we receive what we wanted: faster connection than email and quick tool for sharing the documents.

Pros:

Segmentation of the channels for specific parts of the project and easy drag and drop tool for attachments.

Cons:

Need for a daily login from all members of the project and understanding how channels are working.

Abhinav
Developer in India

Best Tool for Team Management and Coordination

Comments: Overall I love to use it and provided it has the support of integration with almost all of my tools it works as notification engine too which is one of the awesome parts of this tool.

Pros:

Slack is my daily used software for all the team meetings and sharing work details. I like it has all the features built-in that are necessary for an enterprise team management from sharing of files and chatting to video or audio conferencing.

Cons:

The support team is slow in case of any problem tho hardly we face any issue with this software it's highly reliable and one of the best things I use on daily basis.

Graduate Research Assistant in US
Chemicals, 201-500 Employees

Slack is the ultimate team-discourse application

5.0 last month New

Comments: Slack has drastically increased our workplace productivity, especially by promoting communication between those that work in the office, and those that work at home.

Pros:

Slack manages to maintain a comfortable work-home boundary with the introduction of different channels. The ability to create "private" channels within a workspace also helps to build community. File sharing is convenient and easy to understand, and the notification settings are remarkable.

Cons:

Often if a notification is received on one device (i.e. laptop) it will not always push to another (i.e. phone)

Lead Designer in Canada
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

Slack: One App to Rule Them All

5.0 last week New

Comments: I first started using Slack when it was new, back in 2013. It revolutionized my team's workflow and we were able to collaborate and expedite web design projects much more quickly. I now use it with a massive global team, and I cannot imagine using anything else.

Pros:

Slack offers a complete centralized solution for project management and team messaging.

Cons:

On large teams, the sheer amount of channels can be overwhelming. But Slack does offer ways to tidy things up.

Student in Jamaica
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees

Great for Remote Workplaces!

5.0 last month New

Comments: I used slack during a fellowship that I was accepted for. The workplace comprised of people from all over the globe and slack was an excellent tool to bring us all together. 10/10 would recommend for remote work

Pros:

Ability to join multiple groups Ability to choose notification preferences Pinned posts for each group assist with ease of access of important information Easy location of company team members chats through the search bar Reaction emojis for posts

Cons:

Initial learning curve with first introduction to the platform but my community manager provided a comprehensive introduction video so it wasn’t too difficult to learn how to use

SDE || FULL STACK DEVELOPER in India
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

One of the best communication tools

5.0 last month New

Comments: there are many features I like about slack like huddle features especially and chatting features, user profile,

Pros:

I like the most about slack is this. 1. support third-party plugins like Figma, google calendar, google drive, todo, Jira, GitHub notifier, and many more. 2. Search is fast compared to other chat communication tools. 3. huddle features for connecting people with screen sharing.

Cons:

need to improve the user interface. that looks like too much is provided but we do not need all things. so increases complexity. so, give inside setting on-off features for what is not required as default features.

Muhammad
Muhammad
Freelancer in Pakistan
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Slack

4.0 last month New

Comments: Slack is the best platform for remote jobs as it provides us to make different channels within the company the channels could be private, public or shared

Pros:

it allows us to make channels within the company Channels could be public-private and shared

Cons:

Conversations get deleted after 14 days It provides minimum file storage

Vinod
Vinod
Founder in Canada

Good for community building

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall experience is quite productive and helped in organizing the team communication very well.

Pros:

The best thing about slack is team collaboration and communication. The group and categories based on topic is quite good and help in segregation of content based on priority. Under these thread our discuasion is quite good.

Cons:

Some video call features would make it more appealing .

Bhavik Singh
Bhavik Singh
Content Strategist in India

Slack: The Tool That Sent Email Conversations Packing

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: The main problems we're solving is to do with communication. Since all our team members are working from the comforts of their homes, we need a place to sync all the time. Slack provides that platform. It's the place we convene and dismiss. Slack feels like home now. Everybody's connected and readily available.

Pros:

Slack is one of the tools I didn't care about until I learned about it. And ever since I did, I've come to appreciate its awesomeness. Working in a SaaS company, with a work-from-home culture, software like Slack feels like an Elixr. There are no hassles when it comes to communication... No email. Simply interact and get the job done. The feature I like the most is its Huddle feature for 2-way audio-based communication. Overall, the software is pretty easy to use. Another cool feature is putting out status (in terms of availability). Whenever I'm AFK for lunch, I put on my availability status, just in case someone decides to reach out. It might sound small, but it works wonders when you're working from home. Another cool feature is that the messages are saved no matter how long back you or some team member (who might have even left) posted it. And there are so many integrations possible, which makes it ever so interesting. Playing trivia games daily is our team's one chance to engage in a virtual fun activity space, which is kind of fun. Also, I've had the opportunity to meet so many people in the various Slack communities. I mean there are other channels, but the quality of the network is definitely right up there.

Cons:

Even though Slack is an awesome tool, there's still some scope for improvement here. For instance, even though I mentioned Huddle as one of my favorite features, I've found some of my teammates complaining about not being able to connect, which gets a bit frustrating. Apart from that, there are features to set reminders and put other commands to help manage things better. I wish there was some kind of tutorial available to learn these things earlier. Another thing I wish was there was the ability to put out memes. I mean, I get it... it's a serious kind of platform, but sometimes memes just get the job done. I'd like to conclude by saying that it'd be cool if we could delete our messages (maybe within 5 mins of posting) too apart from just being able to edit them.

Prasath
Freelancer in India
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Slack - An incredibly popular workplace messaging app

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Over the past year and a half, I have used Slack as my primary communication and productivity tool. I have been impressed with the platform's ease of use and the breadth of features it offers to its users. I have also been impressed with the number of Slack integrations available, which have increased my productivity and efficiency. I have also been impressed with the amount of support Slack provides its users, which has allowed me to focus on my work rather than troubleshooting problems. Initially as a tool to help me communicate and collaborate with my team and later as a place to share and discuss content with the world. I’ve been impressed with the ease of use and the power of the platform. Over time, I’ve found that Slack has become a key part of how I communicate and share information. I can get a lot done in Slack, but there are still some things that keep me on the platform instead of other tools.

Pros:

1. Slack is an incredibly popular workplace messaging app that’s used by millions of people every day. It’s a great tool for keeping groups together, sharing information, and collaborating 2. It is used by over 13 million daily active users and has been valued at over $2.8 billion. Slack is an excellent tool for team communication 3.Slack is a messaging app that lets you send messages, files, and emojis to coworkers and clients. It’s a great way to communicate and collaborate 4. Slack is one of the most popular workplace communication platforms, used by more than one-quarter of companies with more than half a billion daily active users. The platform is loved by some, hated by others, and many are still undecided about its usefulness 5. When most people think of communication, they think of email. But when it comes to team communication, email doesn’t always work. It can be hard to keep in touch with a single platform, and it’s easy for the conversation to get derailed or get lost in the shuffle. But now there’s another option: Slack. 6. It has many advantages, such as the ability to share files and work together on large files in the same workspace

Cons:

1. The biggest disadvantage of using Slack is that you can’t customize it to suit your team’s needs. For example, you can’t customize the design of your channel or change the background color. 2. It's great for broadcasting what's happening in your team, but it's not a good place to brainstorm, share confidential information, or make decisions. It's also difficult to get individual attention when you need it.

Gregor
Senior Operations Executive in UK
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Slack is excellent and I think it should be used by every business

Comments: Mostly for quick and efficient communication across teams and with colleagues in other countries. I also use it frequently for managing access to my Google Drive, for managing cross-team projects through Google Drive, for tracking Jira tickets and updates and much more. We use it for team meetings, sharing each other's screens when required. We also use it for cross-team discussion about issues and to create a history of previous issues and collaboration that is easy to check.

Pros:

So many things: firstly, how quick and easy it is to communicate across teams and countries within my organisation. It is so much faster than sending an email and so much easier to attach documents, manage document access, and more. It's really quick to search for a specific issue across slack channels. It's great to be able to make new channels about specific issues and to be able to tag colleagues in those channels. It's really well-integrated into my google drive which makes my life so much easier. I like that you can grant access to a document simply by posting a link to it in a channel, rather than manually granting everyone access. I like being able to send myself messages as reminders. I like being able to call people through it. I like being able to reply in thread. It creates a great and easy-to-access record of all sorts of issues and collaborations, in a way that is far more streamlined than through email. I like being able to add colleagues to channels when required. It is great for managing Jira tickets. I also like being able to quote messages. Slack is brilliant!

Cons:

Just some small things: it would be nice to get a proper notification when something is posted in select channels. Currently I only get notified if I'm tagged in a message in a channel, and when I'm working it's difficult to constantly keep an eye on the channels to see if there's an important message that I haven't been tagged in. I also find it annoying that if I make a group chat, all previous messages disappear if I add someone new. When I message myself for notes, I find it frustrating that the messages aren't more clearly separated - it becomes quite a mess in there. I would like to get a notification every time someone posts in a thread I've posted in - this doesn't seem to always happen. Finally, I would like the emojis to be easier to type, rather than having to open up the emojis every time I want to add one, it would be nice if it were easier to add two at once.

Meraz
Meraz
Assistant Manager in Ireland
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Slack: The Ultimate Collaboration and Task-Completion Platform

Comments: Slack suits large enterprises with several departments and teams who communicate regularly. It's fast and informal. Slack is easy to use on a smartphone, making it helpful for traveling. It's less suitable for siloed or formalized teams.

Pros:

Slack rocks. We use many channels to keep consumer, internal, and tech support communications distinct. This is a fast and simple communication tool that my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] might use to ask for my help with a customer or team procedure. It's also important to "document" queries and replies for future reference. We utilize Slack to connect with our staff, form department/project groups, and incorporate clients. It keeps us organized and simplifies communication. Connecting Slack to Apps helps with file sharing, client feedback, and document management.

Cons:

Slack calls/huddles don't terminate immediately. When someone calls using Slack, direct join call option is confused; it states join huddle and call attend choice doesn't function effectively. No direct connection for entering the Slack meeting.

Ghazal
Ghazal
RJ in Pakistan
Broadcast Media, 51-200 Employees

New Age Communication Tool

Comments: Good, good, gooood. Thanks to Slack that enabled us to improve our communication and achieve our set goals. Instead of email, we communicate through Slack and it gets a better result.

Pros:

I like the cool features and amazing functionality of Slack. It makes file sharing, meetings, and team collaboration so easy that anybody can do it without putting much effort. Since we started using Slack, we have shifted almost all of our daily communication to this one-in-solution. Our team members always get in touch with each other using the real-time chat feature. We have created different channels for different teams that helps us manage the work in a more organized way. File sharing is a big part of our work routine and Slack does it professionally. Integration with other applications such as Google Drive and Dropbox is another added feature. I have the PC version and also installed the phone application that helps me keep in contact with the team so effortlessly.

Cons:

The contacts tab design can use some improvement. It's all cramped up. The drop-down arrows with the channel sometimes hide the contacts and that really annoys me. I wish there was a different user interface with more ease of use.

Nathalia
Project Manager in Portugal
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1,001-5,000 Employees

ICoom in Slack

Comments: I love slack, but I think its value is for fast internal communication. Not a lot for video or document sharing.

Pros:

Is the best communication tool. Easy to use, you can have a lot of channels and bots and it seems like the info won't get lost because it is all organized.

Cons:

The free version is great and I wouldn't see why to pay for the use, since you probably have free options in case you really must (in your package with the email provider or tools like Telegram, discord, etc)

Omer
Omer
Software Engineer in Japan
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Slack revolutionized our workspace communication

Comments: I needed some time to see the benefits of Slack, coming from an email-only workplace. I soon started to appreciate the benefit of the communication style Slack made possible, and I think it is hard to imagine achieving the same level of efficiency without Slack.

Pros:

Slack is different from the communication and chat tools we used previously. With Slack, we could create channels for every part of the project and only add people who are stakeholders in the area. Communication in these channels is visible to all their members, making information sharing the default in team communication. Direct Messages are still possible for private or secret data transfer. This channel style is also quite useful when creating alerts and notifications. All people can see all Notifications in one place and may communicate about them in the "threads" of the message. Slack also introduced "Threads" to allow for sub-communication about any message in the channel in order not to block the flow of conversation in the channel.

Cons:

It doesn't support RTL languages and sometimes uploading files takes a very long time.

Digital Strategist in US
Internet, 51-200 Employees

Slack Gets the Job Done

Pros:

For anyone used to hangouts, MS Teams, or just plain old text messaging, Slack is easy to adopt and begin using for communication and collaboration. Direct messaging others is as simple as adding '@' before their username, and when you create a conversation with multiple people, they're automatically saved as a group you can instantly ping at any time. Conversations with multiple replies are rolled up into threads to keep the message board clean. And, Slack allows you to communicate with outside companies (i.e., vendors, agencies), as long as they use Slack, as well. It's such a timesaver vs. email! Slack also seamlessly integrates with a plethora of collaboration and organizational apps like Google Calendar, Clockwise and Zoom. So, seeing your daily schedule, sharing your status, and your availability to reply to others, etc. are all handled automatically. And, you can start a Zoom meeting with one shortcut and invite others instantly. And, for file management, attachments are easy to add, preview and fully display.

Cons:

Slack uses shortcuts to fire certain apps or actions. This approach is great if you're used to thinking in code. But, for anyone that isn't, it may be a lot to learn so many different shortcuts and could possibly cause some users to miss out on Slack's more powerful features. The same goes for Slack markdown in general. There are some great templates to add greater usability to Slack posts. However, they require using and editing Slack markdown, which basically is easiest done in the markdown builder tool and then pushed back into Slack. The markdown code itself is straightforward. But, for teams that don't code (and honestly may not need to code), it's a missed opportunity for them to do more with Slack.

Samantha
Senior Business Facilitator in Philippines

Slack offers seamless Communication across the organisation and value for money

Comments: Overall Slack is a great platform for teams looking for seamless communication across the organisation and value for money.

Pros:

Slack is one of the best platforms available for team communication. After using it for almost 3 years now, it provides our organisation with real-time and seamless communication and offers the most value for your money. Through Slack, you can instant message your team for a quick ask or direct message a specific member for any questions. You can also share files easily by uploading or you even connect your Google Drive/Dropbox to share file links. You can also have fun communicating using emoji's or just share fun GIF's to your team. The free version offers all the features needed for team communication but if you want additional productivity features to level up your communication like communicating with outside vendors on your workspace, then you can definitely opt for getting paid plan. Slack is a very intuitive platform and user friendly.

Cons:

Slack is a great tool for communication across teams but it does not offer any project management features.

Dayna
Busienss Develement Manager in US

Slack is great for remote teams!

Comments: This tool has helped us communicate as a team. It has helped us restore some type of "culture" in a remote workforce.

Pros:

We love that you can see when teammates are in a meeting. Set up away notifications. Sync to our calendars. The newly added scheduled message feature is great so we can send messages within business hours (especially when someone is working outside of typical hours)

Cons:

There isn't really much to not like. I haven't had many issues with the tool not performing but, occasionally the call feature can be a little buggy. (does not happen very often)

Manager (HR and Engineering) in Bangladesh

Magic tool for remote work communication

Comments: Love it-Hope to use slack regardless of where I end up throughout everyday life. May even use it for individual utilize and can undoubtedly make bunch visits with companions,

Pros:

Slack makes informing proficient and puts together messages into various channels. It is extremely helpful to private message just as make gatherings. Moreover, records are saved and filed for simple access. I likewise enjoyed the usability and capacity to work together with anybody in your association. My most loved uses out of the product 1.) Unlimited number of channels-Public/Private 2.) Ability to make shapes that get distributed to explicit channels 3.) Love utilizing the/remind piece so I can get pings about undertakings requiring finish or a straightforward subsequent update 4.) You can have some good times and tweak. For instance: We have a 'Jokes' channel that the leeway bot will make you wisecracks on the off chance that you ask 'bot make me a father quip'- It's astounding

Cons:

Difficult to think of any as a client yet heres a shot: 1.) The limitless assortment of channels makes the high opportunities to get steady pings in case somebody @'s you in a channel. 2.) You get dependent and wind up using your organization correspondence application 'Slack' off hours and simply signing on as though it were a web-based media page. I disdained the failure to make a public gathering "private" after it's creation. Would incidentally slack and my. messages would just come through on my telephone and not work area

Carmel
Owner in US
Insurance, Self Employed

Innovative Tool for Team Building!

Comments: Overall I really enjoy slack! I prefer the desktop version over the web version. The desktop version allows quicker access! Also the direct message feature is important feature in slack that I use. Often at times sensitive message have to be share with an individual rather than the group. Also the emoji's are plentiful selection! I love the mass variety and options available!

Pros:

The greatest thing I like about slack is the ability to create different channels to assist on different topics , groups, and teams within the organization! I also like the accessibility features! You can access Slack from virtually any device! I travel a lot and this feature is extremely important!

Cons:

The software features can take some time to get use to if you have no computer experience. For me my biggest challenge was learning on how to use the alerts and notification features within the program. But in fairness I was able to grasp everything within a few days. So not that long at all.

Alexandros
Educational robotics teams' coach in Greece
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

A great collaboration and communication platform for teams - even young aged ones

Comments: Coaching a team of 10-15 children from 12 to 15 can be quite challenging. However, we have been able to incorporate Slack in our day to day work. All of our communication is in Slack, independent of Facebook etc and the children had no problem with it. Great features, easy creation of subgroups and sharing. Overall great software and I probably one of the only options offering these kind of feature for free and so well integrated.

Pros:

I love the easy creation of team channels for different topic, and the message threads. I honestly find it very difficult to use a platform without this feature any more. Not needing to spam the whole team with a smaller conversation is great, especially for younger teams. Also third party integrations is a feature I use all the time, mostly Google drive and simple poll for now.

Cons:

Sometimes the notifications on my phone don't work very well and i occasionally have some complaints from third party apps (which has little to do with Slack though), like not being able to edit polls from simple poll etc.

Kavya
Graduate Student in US
Research, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Slack is one of those products that has no direct competitor because they're so good

Comments: I've used Slack in multiple arenas--as an employee of a young startup, a researcher at a large academic institution, and as a member of student clubs/organizations. In each of these environments, Slack was a terrific way to collaborate with my team. We considered Microsoft Teams and other similar environments, but Slack was always the clear choice.

Pros:

The things I love about slack: single sign-on for multiple workspaces, the 'magic link' to sign in with your email, the custom animated emojis (this seems silly but it's become a hallmark of one of my slack workspaces and my team enjoys them!), the ease of creating a new workspace and adding channels/teams, and the way we can quickly share files. I don't use many of the integrations in Slack but from what I've seen in workspaces that aren't managed by me, they work seamlessly and effectively.

Cons:

I mentioned this elsewhere as well, but there are some issues with real-time synchronization; if I get an alert on my computer and open it, there is still a popup number on all my other devices that remains until I physically open slack on each device. This isn't a huge issue but it is very irritating when you constantly have a notification on the app.

Ryleigh
Account Executive & Content Manager in US

Much better than Hipchat

Comments: Overall, Slack is my favorite communication tool I've used. My company used Hipchat prior to Slack and we all rejoiced when the switch was made. It's more intuitive and much more customizable.

Pros:

I like how I can set my own color themes and pick my notification sound. I have access to all the Apple emojis as well as Slack's fun emojis to set a status. The developers in my company have created new emojis as well and those are fun to use. Slack is the easiest way – and I have several tools at my disposal for this including Google Meet, Zoom and Uberconference/Dialpad – to do an audio call, video call or screen share with one other person. I prefer to use Google Meet for meetings with several people, but my go-to is slack for a call with just one other person. The pencil tool to highlight something is so handy when someone is sharing their screen with me. When on a call, the little phone emoji appears next to my name so others know that I'm on a call and can't respond right away. I like being able to respond to a message in a thread too. My company has a channel for everyone in the company and the notification can get out of hand if lots of people are responding back and forth. But threads simplify that and make it so I can respond to a message in a thread versus the entire company seeing it. They can see the thread if they click on it, but it requires an extra step. I also love the shortcuts for sharing gifs from giphy, setting reminders and others. Oh, and setting notification preferences is amazing. I have my Slack set to only receive notifications during certain hours during the day so I'm not getting them all through the night and before the next workday starts.

Cons:

I don't like that I can't create a Slack channel on my own. My company has it set up that only the admins can create new public and/or private channels. I can create a group to direct message with, but that's it. If I want a channel created, I have to go to the admin. I think this is more of a gripe for my company making that rule and not a Slack thing, though. I also wish I could blur my background or set a fun background like you can in Google Meet and Zoom.