15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About Slack

Meet your Digital HQ for Sales. Work flows and revenue grows with a Digital HQ for Sales.

Learn more about Slack

Pros:

The giphy integration is the perfect way to get folks engaged. I love the search function and the auto-response feature the best.

Cons:

I get lost on some of the channels - there are a lot of channels with different teams. I find that I get confused with which channel is for what.

Slack ratings

4.6
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Slack has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 23,235 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Slack before?

Filter reviews (23,235)

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lead Game Developer in Mexico
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Great for big projects

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Great, worked in a huge team, reaching out to the production and QA team, as well as having direct contact with all my middle managers at the company.

Pros:

I used Slack for my time being at a large company with 10,000+ employees. I had never been in a large team before but Slack made the project managment process and team comunication easy.

Cons:

As a user, none at all, but as a small business owner wanting to use Slack, it is quite expensive.

Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Best digital workplace you need for a small or medium company !

Comments: It’s part of our daily routine at work so I don't think we are getting rid of slack anytime soon.

Pros:

The instant messaging, the integration with API or other apps ( which in my point of view is very important ), the fact that you can use it as cloud docs management for your office are things that I mostly like.

Cons:

It can a bit frustrating finding docs, the search is not always responsive, but I can find my way around. The quality of the calls needs some work a little, but it's getting better, that's for sure.

Christopher
Christopher
Associate Professor in Japan
Research, 11–50 Employees

Not bad for small groups, horrible for large groups, free plan is now crippled

Comments: Only using Slack with external teams that use them. We no longer use it with our internal teams. Their confusing threaded views is really their downfall. There are other alternatives out there that do a much better job.

Pros:

Slack has a very nice, slick interface. When the workspace is not busy, it's very easy to see all the messages and figure out what's relevant for you. Very easy to setup new workspaces and channels. And basically, the key reason why we use Slack is because almost everyone is using it.

Cons:

Their free plan is now crippled. Only 90 days of retention. On a number of free workspaces, I wanted to refer back to some info which I no longer can find. Very frustrating. Slack also implements threaded conversations as a "tack-on" feature. Not everyone uses this feature and it just causes more and more user confusion, especially in large workspaces where many messages are mixed into the main channel as well as in threads. Their threads/mentions&reactions views which are supposed to help you filter out things not relevant for you are huge messes. Their pricing plans are also very expensive.

Yash
Yash
Cloud operations in India
Security & Investigations, 201–500 Employees

Slacktopia: Simplify Your Interaction

Comments: Overall, I've had nothing but great experiences with Slack. It's a really helpful platform for project management, teamwork, and communication. It is an invaluable tool for increasing productivity and encouraging teamwork because of its user-friendly interface, wide range of customisation options, and smooth connection with other programmes. But sometimes it might be difficult to handle notifications and information overload; it takes careful planning and moderation. Slack is still a vital tool for contemporary workplaces in spite of this.

Pros:

The best thing about Slack, in my opinion, is how easily it integrates with different communication channels and has an intuitive UI that makes it simple to share files, remain in touch with coworkers, and work efficiently in real-time. Its extensive app integrations and customisation possibilities also improve productivity and simplify workflows.

Cons:

Slack's potential for information overload, especially with regard to channels and notifications, is a disadvantage that can occasionally result in decreased focus and distractions. Additionally, without appropriate planning and communication channel control, managing big teams or complicated projects can become difficult.

japhet
Creative Director in South Africa
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

The ultimate solution for remote work!

5.0 last month New

Comments: Slack allows me to organize my meetings and team interactions with professionalism. It serves as an excellent platform for file sharing, and the additional feature of screen sharing adds even more value.

Pros:

Slack is intelligently designed for entrepreneurs, offering efficiency and timeliness. It's particularly beneficial for remote work, as it consolidates all tasks into one software, saving a significant amount of time.

Cons:

Regarding drawbacks, I haven't encountered any significant ones yet. Slack is incredibly user-friendly, and I discover new features every day, enhancing its overall usability.

FRED
Students' President in Switzerland
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SUCCESSFUL LIMITLESS ONLINE MEETING SCHEDULING

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Adaptivity on VoIP, VC and web conferencing services,file transfer and content creation.

Pros:

Easy-to-use templates supporting custom LMS for drag-drop option. Full HD video and web streaming. Audio VoIP in bridge. Agile and elegant file sharing. Available across all internet devices on both browsers and desktop.

Cons:

I think of zero negative compliment to air for now.

Ronald
Principal Road Safety Officer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201–500 Employees

Slack is amazing!In the office or on the go,Stay connected with Slack

5.0 last month New

Comments: Client and team communication is much easier with Slack,we are able to keep all our teams and departments on the same page.

Pros:

I like that Slack eliminated all the other forms of communication I've used in the past at the office,chatter,email,text and Google messenger.It is easy to use and set up with or without any technical expertise one can use it.

Cons:

Nothing in particular to state as a deslike Slack just works wow.

Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Slack changed how I communicate at work.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Slacks user interface design makes it difficult to miss out on any message, even if I am not logged-in for days. When I open my Slack app on mobile phone or on my desktop, all channels I am a member of , with new messages or updates are clearly highlighted. When I click on any of the channels, Slack shows me the exact number of messages I have missed out on . This approach to user interface design has made my Slack communication experience , very smooth.

Cons:

For me, Slack easily gets addictive and this has been the case for years. This is because of the non-stop activity on the app, even after work hours. Infact, I am tempted to say that Slack has made it difficult to blur the boundaries between my work and personal life.

Computer Games, 1,001–5,000 Employees

An excellent tool for collaboration

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It is an easy-to-use tool that continually adds new features and improvements, enhancing its functionality and user experience.

Cons:

Sometimes it takes time to find specific conversations, especially when there is a lot of content and the tool is used by thousands of people.

Andrés Darío
Andrés Darío
Software Engineer in Ecuador
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

Slack for a goverment Deploy Team

4.0 last month New

Comments: my experience is good, but the cost and the time to save the files in the system don't help to think to buy the product.

Pros:

Is simple, useful and light to run in an old computer

Cons:

The GUI isn't actual and erase the chat history and files in 90 days.

Eileen Moran
Eileen Moran
Marketing and Operations Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Slack is our go-to quick communication tool for our remote team

Comments: Before using Slack, we had to wait for people to answer emails or use text messages or chat apps. None of it was organized into a company-wide system where you can have multiple conversations with different people. Slack is the perfect solution for quick communication that doesn't need to be saved forever.

Pros:

Slack is very simple to set up and use and allows us to quickly message our team members who all work remotely. It's a great tool for sharing links, getting answers to simple questions, and also sharing fun things in the Random and General Channels. We've got a few different Channels we use with our 21 users who are a combination of employees and contractors. We also use Google Drive, so that is integrated into Slack.

Cons:

We've got the free plan, so we have messages that are now archived that we can't access. Considering it's free, it's not much of a con.

Stephanie
Church and Service Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Robust and Efficient Communication on All Team Levels

Comments: Slack has been an entertaining way to keep my teams moving and communicating so much more than we would through email or text. The platform makes it easy to record and share ideas as they happen, and collaborate on the good ones to bring helpful and interesting ideas to fruition. We experience much less distraction as we all want to cover multiple topics, sometimes all at once. We are not limited to listening through long meetings where we discuss topics only relevant to 30% of the team - only team members directly related to a project have to engage in discussions, and the rest can listen in only if they are interested or find value. Stronger and more organized than emails or text threads, Slack has entirely changed the way we convey thoughts and communicate remotely (or from within the same room!) in my organization.

Pros:

What I am most enthusiastic about in my use of this software, is how neatly organized every topic of discussion can be. Within an organization, there can be a LOT of topics, and one simple chatroom (text messages, other chat platforms) will absolutely not cut it. With Slack, each team can have their own space, each project can have its own space, and there can even be direct messages between team members. Replies can happen in the entire thread, or in direct response to a particular message - including emoji-only responses, for those so inclined! The added benefit of this discussion organization, means there's even a dedicated space for members to shoot the breeze and talk about lunch in #imhungry, without losing pace or focus of the financial evaluation happening in #budgetcrisis. Each chatroom, or "channel", can be as private or accessible as the individuals need. Members can join or leave as needed, or lurk in other's channels to keep track of other projects. An individual can even be a part of multiple Slack communities for different businesses or organizations - I personally have one for my Church, for my family business, as well as gaming and personal pursuits. Everything stays separate and organized, thanks to Slack.

Cons:

This particularly applies to individuals who are using Slack for multiple organizations; the mobile app can be VERY confusing when you're not 100% familiar with Slack. Slack is already a bit of a learning curve, due to its robust functionality; that in itself is not a flaw, as I see it. It is efficiently designed. It's just a lot to take in day 1 and may not be intuitive to everyone, and the mobile app compounds the confusion! I will note that the app has MUCH improved since I jumped in two or three years ago. But even now, I find myself having to pause and double-check I'm navigating channels correctly. The desktop version is much more understandable!

Shaun
IT Specialist in US
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

Fast and Simple

Comments: All and all it's been good. I wish it were cheaper but it's not. For what it is though, Slack is an incredible communication tool that has been very reliable to us with no down time and no bugs.

Pros:

First off we don't use any of the add-ons. They seem incredibly useful for those who need them but we just don't have the need. What we like about Slack is that it's simple and very fast. We used HipChat back in the day and liked that but once they got bought out by Slack we tried some Rocket.Chat and Microsoft Teams. In the end we had issues with both of these and decided to give Slack a shot. Slack is very simple and easy to use and is extremely quick. We constantly found the competition software would lag after as little as a month or two of use due to all the messages.

Cons:

Price. Compared to the competition it's expensive. When Slack bought out HipChat we were initially bummed because our price per user was going from around $2 a month to $7 a month. As a company who doesn't use any of the add-ons this seemed a bit steep. All and all I would say it's still too expensive for what we use it for but the other options out there have issues so large we continue to use Slack.

Aaron
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Great for communicating with coworkers and friends!

Comments: I actually do not use Slack much in a business environment, but in a personal setting for a book club. We transitioned to primarily using Facebook for communication to Slack, as not all members of the book club are on Facebook. Slack has made communication a lot easier and fully centralized.

Pros:

Slack is really easy to setup and provides a great solution for secure communication b/w coworkers and even friends. The interface, while slightly confusing at first, is easy to learn. In addition, it is easy to create different channels - as to have multiple conversations on multiple topics without those conversations overlapping. There are both mobile and desktop clients, and they are cross platform. There is even a web interface so you don't have to install a local client. Finally, you can't argue with the price as it starts with free version that is suitable for many use-cases.

Cons:

Slack utilizes various shortcuts and tags to implement features (such as adding a poll to a conversation), but these tags are not obvious and usually need to be looked up.

Prince
Senior Consultant in US
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

One of the Best Collab tools!

Comments: Overall the tool is used to communicate and share files amongst your own team as well as other teams which are external to yours. Its great for announcements or even details that you can pin to each individual or team chat. The channels allow you even finer controls over who can see it, participate, as well as the overall purpose. Its a superb tool for having each team create their own channels as well as special channels which can be used for announcements, heads up, changes, basically anything you need to communicate across. It is everything you would expect in a collaboration tool.

Pros:

Ease of use and the feature list is probably why this tool does so well. It even allows you to build custom apps that you can implement with your existing apps/tools for a more streamlines experience! Its honestly made life a lot easier to collaborate amongst team members, especially during Corona times and working from home.

Cons:

There really isn't much about this tool that I don't like. It runs smoothly and constantly has new updates to make the experience even better. The only thing I can think of is that it can be resource intensive at times but honestly it has not slowed me down yet. Also, when sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, it would be nice if it can be done from the same UI of the screen-share. Well made tool overall!

Business Development Manager in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

There's Everything Else, Then There's SLACK

Comments: We were having to find a way of maintaining connectivity as the company went into a fully remote work environment. Prior to COVID 19 we were heavily dependent on in person communication to get tasks completed and communication organized. Post COVID we've actually increase our productivity in task completion and maintained or increased out teams communication and morale through the features of Slack. Without it out company would certainly have had a bigger negative impact from COVID, now we're not just surviving, we're thriving!

Pros:

Mobile and desktop notifications, specific channels to tailor communication based on the audience, having a log history to lock back on, easily sharing files, integrations that make workflows easy, increasing productivity and connectivity with remote teams, creating a culture that cares

Cons:

Nothing overly stands out as something that isn't to like. There's so many customizations and personalized controls that give the users the level of interaction that they want and need. Slack continues to set the bar.

Abhinav
Developer in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Tool for Team Management and Coordination

Comments: Overall I love to use it and provided it has the support of integration with almost all of my tools it works as notification engine too which is one of the awesome parts of this tool.

Pros:

Slack is my daily used software for all the team meetings and sharing work details. I like it has all the features built-in that are necessary for an enterprise team management from sharing of files and chatting to video or audio conferencing.

Cons:

The support team is slow in case of any problem tho hardly we face any issue with this software it's highly reliable and one of the best things I use on daily basis.

Rhonda
Supervisor in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Multifaceted Messaging

Comments: Some employees are not in the facility for most or all of the day. Slack helps me monitor everyone and is a way for us talk throughout the day. Employees working together or in rotation use slack to stay in touch too. In the morning we get everyone in a quick video conference to plan for the day and update. It's worked well.

Pros:

I can create message channels and control or monitor who is in each, settings can be changed to public or private. Individuals can message privately too. I like how the channels are displayed I can find any of them quickly. Video calls can be created without leaving the messages screen. I can usually see and hear everyone clearly. Links open in the app and when I send photos and videos all load quickly.

Cons:

All of the messages aren't saved and I wasn't able to find a way to change the setting. I have had to save folders full of screenshots incase important messages get deleted. More value for money and less taken out of the lower price tiers would make Slack better too.

Maurice
General Manager in Trinidad & Tobago
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

This App doesn't Slack

Comments: Slack presented me with a simple solution to the communications challenges that come with project and office management. I started using it initially to manage an office, while in my early years of running a small office. We could streamline communications, tag persons who needed to get into a conversation, and we used their threading features to ensure that we could manage different conversations, all at once. That beat the use of Blackberry Messenger which we had been using earlier. When Whatsapp came on the scene, and people suggested we use that, it beat it by far as well. Slack was the best at keeping us on track, and it eventually allowed us to search channels which meant that we could now go back to previous discussions to help to keep track of things. Those two features sold me on the platform. I'll admit, when Microsoft 365 launched Teams, I ventured away from the hallowed halls of Slack, much to the chagrin of many. The thing is, I've passed the stage when I could stomach moving from platform to platform, login to login, bill to bill to assemble the best combination of everything. That aside, one needs to acknowledge that the Microsoft apps aren't the best in most of their fields (except Office), but they are pretty good. In this area, Slack is the best. They may have named it Slack, but they do not Slack at all.

Pros:

Slack is best-in class for project communications, and keeping your communications on course. They innovated in creating the platform, and while others may do well with one part or the other, they are the real macoy. All others are just trying to copy them.

Cons:

While their api opens Slack up to combine with other platforms, I really wish they had more native features.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Slack Review

Comments: Overall I don't know how we would function without Slack. It is a key component of our company workflow and with all the integrations available with Slack, we're being more productive, seeing less in our inbox, and getting work done faster and efficiently. We will likely move up to the paid version soon, since there are additional function's we'd like to use (like accessing archived conversations and files). I would recommend Slack to everyone - I even use it personally in place of other messaging apps!

Pros:

I love how easy Slack is to use. It's extremely user friendly with a familiar interface. If you ever used AIM (instant messenger) or iChat in the past, Slack will feel very similar. I also love that we can drag and drop to share large files in Slack. When working in a fast environment where things like presentations or creative need to be reviewed around quickly, but are too large to email, Slack is a really handy tool. Also, the ability to share code snippets without the formatting getting lost is huge while working with development teams. Excellent foresight by the Slack engineers to include this functionality. Finally, Slack bot responses! I was able to set up responses for lost passwords and logins for our team, as well as basics like team member phone numbers, or birthdays, so we aren't digging through address books and instead we can just quickly ask Slack for help. It's really great.

Cons:

One thing that's actually really frustrating is not having control over deleting conversations. As with any direct messaging app, there's an expectation of privacy between those two people. However, it's really unclear if upper management can ever access these direct messages. As such, I know a number of people who had tried to mass-delete threads (in the event mgmt could read them) but it wasn't possible in the free version of Slack (and I'm unsure if it's even available in the paid version). There are third party apps to help delete comments, but it'll only do yours and not the entire thread. It would be helpful for employees to know exactly how private their direct messages are, and have the ability to delete content they want to. Also, being able to have the slack bot responses work in direct messages, and not just open channels, would be nice. Being in a playful environment, different groups have added various, secret, slack bot responses, but most of our communication happens in direct messages and not in the open channels. As such we lose out of this fun functionality.

Charlie
Charlie
Sr. Software Development Manager in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A new (and fun) way to communicate

Comments: When we started with Slack, the folks pushing it said, it will cut down significantly on your email. I didn't believe that it would but as more and more people started using it I saw a major decrease in my email. I love not having long confusing threads. If something is posted in a channel everyone in the channel gets to follow if they chose to do so. It makes work life so much easier.

Pros:

Slack seems to have taken the lead in social media type business communication. We started using them a few years ago and have at times reviewed other systems but always came back to Slack having something that the others didn't. We started with one business unit and recently pushed it out to the whole company as our preferred method of internal communication. The product is easy to use. People seem to pick it up and start up on it in hours rather than days or weeks. While some people have other tool preferences, most people seem to like working with it. It is designed to be a fun tool. When you have read all your messages, it will say something silly like, "Your all done, here is a tractor" and show you a picture of a little tractor. Quotes will come up while it is loading although it loads so fast that you don't have time to read them - a good thing. Users can add their own quotes too. Generally it has a fun look and feel to it. Finally customer support has been fantastic (at least from a user point of view - I am not in IT and therefore not involved in set up support) I have sent messages to them numerous times with questions or suggestions and have always received a fast response back. My questions have been answered and I have even seen a few of my suggestions appear in later releases. Overall Slack is a strong, easy to use, fun product.

Cons:

There are a few things I would like to see improved in Slack. 1. Slack gives you options to easily have private group conversations which is nice if you want to discuss something with just three or four people. Bringing another person into the group and letting them see the conversation history is not an option. I understand why they do this. They are supposed to be private messages but it is really frustrating. 2. I am a channel hoarder. I have lots of channels that I like to follow. It would be really nice to be able to organize the channels into folders so that I didn't have some many in front of me. It would also make the one channel I need easier to find. Our company didn't do a great job of setting naming standards so the channel I need is stuck somewhere in a meaningless alpha list of channels. 3. And finally, give us longer channel names! We are stuck with 22 character limit on names and no capitalization which makes Con #2 just a bit worse. People creating channels have to be creative about names which is one of the things that led to our naming standards falling apart.

Aislinn
Aislinn
Marketing Assistant in Canada
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Slack

Comments: One indicator of its awesomeness is that it was down earlier this week, and everybody was freaking out, so especially on our team, we were confused about what to do, do we send fax messages to each other? Do we find our pagers again? So it's definitely made an impact in our business if it goes down.

Pros:

Our favourite feature for slack is that it makes it super easy for teams to collaborate and communicate very easily. There are ways to connect with just single individual users, groups of users, or even have channels to communicate with people about different projects or topics of interest, super cool. It makes it really easy to communicate between members or within channels, so groups of people, set groups of people, and even with other organizations. So you can get on to another workspace at the company and you’ll communicate back and forth through that which is awesome. Also, there's some really good Zapp integrations and Native integration. So, for instance, we use it so that when a proposal is signed off on, we get a message to a specific channel on Slack to notify the whole team, of course with a cheesy GIF because why not, that a proposal was accepted and that this kicks off a whole bunch of other processes for us. And then as well, it has a really good direct integration with Google Drive. So, if somebody sends me a document, it shows up in a Slack channel for me so I can access that really easily, I can see any documents really easily.

Cons:

Although you can jump between workspaces really easily, it's a little bit cumbersome actually making that transition. So, I'd like to see it organized a little bit more like Asana where you've got a dropdown and you switch over rather than having to navigate over to the side and then select it, there's a little bit of a time lag.

Kylee
Marketing Account Executive in US
Facilities Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent Team Communication Program

Comments: Being in Marketing, my team and I have to send many large design files on a daily basis. During a review process of one project, we may send up to 20 files back and forth. We found that sending via email was clogging up our limited email space very quickly and it also became difficult to go through an email thread to make sure you have all the notes from different team members. So, we began searching for a communication platform that would not only allow us to send large files, but one that could also make communication easier. We have found that with Slack! We started using Slack just over five years ago and we never looked back! The file-sharing capabilities are phenomenal. Whether you are using the desktop app, online version or mobile app, files and attachments are easily downloaded or you can view them directly in Slack. With many of our team members working remotely, Slack has also made communication and collaboration on projects much easier. By creating different channels, we have been able to single in on specific projects. That way, communication is not lost in a long email thread. Furthermore, the search capabilities within Slack make it simple to go back in a conversation and find any past content. Slack also allows us to one-off each other, when we need a more private conversation or a direct comment needs to be made. We are also enjoying the notification and status settings. All of us on our Marketing team would highly recommend using Slack!

Pros:

Hands down, the best feature about Slack is its file-sharing capabilities. It has made our jobs easier as a Marketing team to have this in a communication platform, especially since we need to send many files on a day-to-day basis. With many of us working from home or out of the office, having a centralized communication platform where we can communicate on projects, while file-sharing, is essential. It has kept us all out of "email jail" and has streamlined our review processes and turnaround times for meeting crucial deadlines.

Cons:

There is very little I dislike about Slack, but I would say that the "Threads" communication portion of Slack could be developed a bit better. With this feature, someone can reply directly to a specific comment rather than in the full channel. The only issue with this is that the thread pops up on the right side of the screen, rather than directly below the original comment. Sometimes, this can be confusing and the notifications for Threads can sometimes be overlooked. If Slack were able to open the Thread directly under the original comment/post, that would make communication and notifications less confusing.

Meisha
Marketing Manager in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Comments: Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros:

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade. First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun. I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates on any comments, changes, etc. You can have group chats with up to 8 people, so organizing multiple conversations is relatively easy—though you cannot add someone to an existing chat/conversation, you'd have to set up a new chat with all parties. One of the other great features is the file-sharing functionality, where you can easily send over files, images, etc. for review and feedback. It saves a lot of time and reduces email clogs. Slack also offers a mobile app for on-the-go communication. It has been a bit buggy in the past (randomly stops working/shuts down) but has gotten better over time.

Cons:

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available. And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Cindy
Cindy
Closeout Specialist & HR Administrator in US
Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

We are SLACKERS

Comments: It helped my company reduce the spillage of work into everyone's personal social media. It's also a really great way to communicate with coworkers and get things done. We've almost eliminated internal emails!

Pros:

The company I work for used to use a group chat in a social media platform to try to communicate with our employees - we're small, and the number of employees wasn't too large for this, but we had quite a few different group chats, and they all bled into our personal lives. When I found #Slack, I immediately knew this was the answer to the ever-leeching work-life balance conundrum caused by having everyone at work affiliated in my social media account. Within a few weeks, we had our core chat channels set up in #Slack, and we even installed busybot and a couple other add-ins. We were customizing it and using it company-wide in no time at all. It's been a life saver. The channels keep different streams of communication open, and the best part is that it's FREE - as long as we don't want to search back through past 10,000 messages in our archive, that is. But the best part of THAT is that it's there to upgrade when we want to. I actually have two jobs, and both of the companies I work for use #Slack - it's just that much better than the other options out there. We integrate our Google Calendars with it, and they show up in the channels we've chosen to filter them into so that employees can see the schedule for the next day.

Cons:

The only thing that I feel is missing is the ability to copy an image and paste it directly into #Slack from the desktop. You have to download the file and then upload it, which is not a major problem, but most applications have this ability now, so I constantly try to do it, and then it doesn't work.