15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About Act!

Act! Premium empowers today's small and midsize businesses to market better, sell more, and create customers for life.

Learn more about Act!

Pros:

This definitely makes it easier for remote teams. Integrated email marketing helps drive necessary demand visibility.

Cons:

Very difficult to integrate with email server. Complicated email attachment.

Act! ratings

3.4

6.9/10

Act! has an overall rating of 3.8 out 5 stars based on 764 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Act! before?

Thomas
Thomas
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Act and old and reliable friend.

Comments: I have looked at other CRM packages and find they offer no great benefits.

Pros:

It is easy to understand and use. You can add fields on any screen and it's user friendly.

Cons:

Integration with exchange is unreliable. Support is spotty at best.

6 months ago

Thank you, Thomas - we value your feedback and enjoy hearing that you find Act! intuitive and easy to use! We're sorry to hear that you've had some inferior support experiences and hope you'll give our team another try. We want to help and continually strive to improve our support and training resources.

Claire
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed

Feels like home

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Loving it so far - feels like coming home.

Pros:

I used ACT! for nearly 20 years in my previous role and when I went freelance I really missed it but thought it was not affordable. I am now so busy I really needed to get organised and I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable it actually is. It only really needs to save me one hour a month to give me more than return on investment - and it did that on day 1!

Cons:

I made a silly error uploading and couldn't figure out how to undo so I shall be calling on the onboarding team for help.

last month

We are so happy to have you back, Claire, and thrilled to hear that Act! is already saving you time and helping you organize your business. We wish you the very best with your freelance business! How exciting!

Daniel
consultant in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

good CRM for the money

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: using it since v2.0. using it since v2.0

Pros:

the basic CRM function, the basic CRM function

Cons:

priced a little high, some minor bugs still in the product, differences between Web and local PC app

2 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to share your review, Daniel. We really appreciate hearing from our long-term and loyal customers!

Matthew
Marketing Director in UK
Chemicals, 2–10 Employees

All in One CRM for Sales & Marketing Teams

Comments: Very good, ideal for storing contacts, opportunities and making use of grouping contacts for marketing emails - a nice function.

Pros:

Main features are easy to use such as adding companies and contacts. Lots of training videos available.

Cons:

Some features feel a bit clunky but this could be a system issue rather than the software itself.

3 months ago

Hi Matthew, It's great to hear that you're enjoying Act!'s combined CRM and marketing automation features and using it to manage your contacts and opportunities and easily segment them for email communications. We love hearing from our customers and greatly appreciate your feedback!

Paul
CEO and President in US
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

ACT! Excellence

Comments: I have been using ACT for over 30 years and have recommended it to hundreds of people and companies.

Pros:

It literally runs all aspects of my life seamlessly. The recent upgrade was assisted by your technician, [sensitive content hidden]. I have been resisting an upgrade for years (I think I was on 20 because I was concerned of a failure during the process. He was outstanding and to sum up my impression of him in succinctly: very Patient, very intelligent and very knowledgeable

Cons:

Nothing

2 months ago

Thank you Paul, for taking the time to leave this review. It's so great to hear that Act! is helping you manage a wide range of activities! We'd love to learn more about your business and highlight it on our Success Story webpage and social channels! If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story, it's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. We hope to hear from you! Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Act and your need for a CRM

Comments: Without the introduction of a CRM, i doubt we would have had the client retention we have been lucky to have, we had trialed other CRM's, from free online to high cost ones like Goldmine - they all do much the same but our need to a specific way of accessing and manipulating our data left us with Act as the only real option. One option was to have a bespoke system but costs in the region of £100,000 and constant support didnt make much business sense at the time and after seeing similar projects fail at rival companies we think the route we took has been justified

Pros:

Having the ability to scale requirements has helped the business grow without huge outlay. Has the capability to use high end hardware and now has a Cloud based solution so removing the need for costly onsite equipment if required

Cons:

As usual costs, the license model has change from perpetual to the per user per year, the Cloud based variant is expensive but comparable to others. The need for a 3rd party module to fully use the software for our needs has increased usability but at a cost, would of been nice to include in subscription

2 years ago

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to share how your business is using Act! -especially the cloud-based solution. We love hearing from our customers, so thanks again for sharing!

General Manager in US
Medical Devices, 11–50 Employees

Good As A Contact Manager, Not As A 2020 CRM

Comments: ACT! was very helpful in moving our business forward at a time where we mainly needed to focus on contact management. Now that I need a true CRM, there are better alternatives for us.

Pros:

I used ACT daily for years. It works well as a contact manager and can help track email conversions through an Outlook plugin.

Cons:

The program lacks the advanced functionality you would expect with a modern day customer relationship management software. The design is also extremely dated.

Cassandra
Research, Self Employed

Beware! Do Not Purchase this Product! Waste of Time!!!

Comments: I had a horrible experience. I paid for ACT standard ($40). Features such as call list and hot sheets were not available although it was it came as a stand feature on their website. This web-based software had the following problems:
1. Uploading contacts from CSV file.
2. Marketing automation does not give a call list.
3. Bounce backs and unsubscribes are very difficult to find.
4. The features that are touted for ACT! CRM standard did not exist.
I cancelled the subscription after 1 week. The sales office said that I would have access until February 11, 2021. One day after my cancellation, I could not access my data. I called sales, then technical support and stay on the telephone for 35 minutes to get the issue resolved. After I finally gained entry, my email campaign had disappeared. Save yourself some time and heart ache. Do not use this software.

Pros:

There is nothing good or helpful about this software.

Cons:

The trial is not really a trial because you cannot see how their marketing automation works.

Brian
Financial Services, Self Employed

Zero to Success in 1 year

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Could not of managed 100 prospective clients at a time without keeping track of all conversations, emails and sms.

Pros:

keeps track of all communication, from emails to sms and phone calls

Cons:

nothing, everything performs as expected.

last month

Thank you, Brian! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning how Act! is helping their businesses around the world. And, we'd love to learn more about your business if you'd like to share your Act! Success Story. It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Max
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Good CRM , Keeps me in touch with customers

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

[sensitive content hidden] was awesome to work with on getting me to the cloud and understanding what I wanted, he did it all on the technical side , I also commend [sensitive content hidden] on the sales side he was excellent at explaining my options

Cons:

I called Enhanced support about 4 other times, and they were ok but really did not understand what I was trying to accomplish (Reason why I called 4 xs ) but once I got [sensitive content hidden] we spoke , He understood and did it while also teaching me

last week

We really appreciate hearing from you, Matt, and we are happy to know that our Support and Sales teams were helpful as you transitioned to the cloud! Thank you for your review!

Paul
Managing Director in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2–10 Employees

A GOOD STABLE BASE FOR CRM ... JUST WISH ENHANCING WAS A LITTLE EASIER

Comments: We need ACT, and it is the core of what we do. We would like to see ways that we can add depth and richness to a good platfrom

Pros:

I like the fact that a team of 5 can share effectively in real time, I like the ease of changing layouts and adding fields, and with Seamless the ablity to easily prdcue high quality documenation. It's link to outlook and ODBC is good and it is a stable, which being at the core of our business is a good thing

Cons:

There are many things I think we could do to be more productive but can't, and we do see fields being changed or lost "by themselves". The web version was a poor version of the Pro, and we haven't been able to make it available when offline, which is a frustration.

Tammy
Owner in Canada
Insurance, 2–10 Employees

ACT! for Insurance/Financial Advisors

Comments: I love all the features that meet the needs of financial advisors. The customizable fields are beneficial and improve the overall use of the software. It has probably just as many features as other customer relations management programs but cost is substantially less. Very happy with my selection.

Pros:

The Act! for Advisors software has been modified to meet the requirements of a financial advisor which includes being able to input information regarding insurance contracts. The new Marketing Automation is an great way to send out Newsletters, etc.

Cons:

They have lots of online resources/video's to learn the Marketing Automation. You can also speak to customer service but they recently cut their remote access where you can have customer service work on your computer to help answer/show you how to do things with the marketing automation.

Robert
Sole proprietor in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Value of using Act

Comments: See What I liked most.

Pros:

Started using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved in. You have to learn to use for nearly every phone conversation or piece of correspondence. If you do, you will always be able to revert back to a contact, and who said what when. What correspondence was involved etc. To say nothing about scheduling appointments, and being reminded of birthdays and other important events. Act is the backbone of my business and personal contact information. Invaluable and used every day. I have used over may revisions and Company changes. Sometimes the customer service is better than others. Presently the Customer Service is Excellent. If you are a first time user or considering starting to use it I would recommend you take a course on using it as many of the features are not apparent unless someone shows them to you. A great tool to keep track of what everyone on your team is doing and as they move on a record of what they did and who was involved. A great tool that I rely on daily. Happy to spread the word.

Cons:

Many features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.

Jonathan
I.T. Administrator in US
Legal Services, 51–200 Employees

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Comments: Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros:

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons:

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Karen
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

Comments: I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support. I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros:

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Richard
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

Marketing Automation AWFUL - Zero support

Pros:

The way it’s supposed to work is ok. Not great. But getting it to work is a very heavy lift. And with inadequate support, it’s totally up to the user to figure it out.

Cons:

Where do I start? Bottom line is that setup for marketing automation is nearly impossible. I’ve used successfully ACT! for more than 20 years. But marketing automation is a disaster. The documentation is unhelpful, and in some places, downright incorrect. It has lots of broken links. And their support staff, all offshore, knows nothing about how to help with the marketing automation feature. I had to hire someone who finally figured it out, by trial and error, after several weeks of work.

2 years ago

Richard, first let us say we're sorry that you're experiencing this problem, we're sure it's frustrating. We want to help and hope you'll reach out to us at [email protected]. and provide your contact information so we can contact you directly.

Kris
CEO in US
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Long time user

Comments: I use ACT 10 hours a day, but it is clunky.

Pros:

I understand the interface because I have used ACT daily for over 30 years.

Cons:

ACT does almost everything poorly. It does not sync with multi-user unless you call support. You cannot move your data out of ACT onto a competitive product. They keep raising the price of support. I have tried all three different mass email programs they have offered over the years, but none of the mass email systems worked. The email system required support from ACT to make them work, and still a major problem. I have used ACT for over 30 years, have 10K contacts, and I cannot leave ACT. If you have not bought ACT, do not. If you are going to work on this everyday, pay the money and go with SalesForce.

last year

Kris, Thank you for letting us know about your issues with marketing automation- this is not the experience we strive to provide our customers. We hope you'll give our Support team another try. Please reach out to https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or call 866-873-2006 so we can get a few more details, and provide some possible solutions.

Bruce
Chairman and CEO in US
Investment Banking, 11–50 Employees

Long time Act user 20+ years

Comments: We put a local copy on each of their computers and sync to the master database. Since our equipment needed an upgrade I signed up for a trial of the newest cloud based system. It did not work, would not load on our trial computers and was totally unreliable. I called customer service who took DAYS to get back to me, and by then, we had pulled it off the test machines. We have 64000 contacts, and the Act Consultants tell us that is sketchy to transfer that many contacts to the newer systems. I am stuck with the older software, but that's ok, it works flawlessly.

Pros:

None that I can think of...over our old ACT versions.

Cons:

We are a long time user of Act with 64000 contacts, and thought about an upgrade and tried the newest software. Connection to ACT did not work, called customer service which took DAYS to respond, and only with trivial solutions or told us out browsers were inadequate. We cannot use cloud based software, as many of our sales persons need to travel and out of internet on the road. We asked about purchasing a copy for local server use, and they STILL have not called back. Uses alot of memory and crashed the test computer a couple of times. I reviewed the posts, and many are favorable, but their usage is very different than ours. Most of the positives come from short time users who have no other experience. If you have alot of contacts, doubt if this will work for you.

Industrial Automation, 2–10 Employees

Avoid this software!!

Comments: Support is brilliant, product is awful, the developers are changing features all the time, it has many incompatibility issues with outlook and web browsers, in all the time we have had it we have had to rely heavily on support to fix things every single year. I don't know why I have stuck with it for so long.
Now they have done an update, removed the option to individually record email history so you have to record nothing or record everything coming in and out of your emails which clearly is not desirable!
the task box is small and basic which is how we track work in progress, the pop up calendar only pops up some of the calendar so you have to manually expand it to see the whole month.
when you update tasks and click ok to save it doesn't always save your information so when you go back into your task everything you have just updated isn't there, intermittent issues like this all the time.

Pros:

Now it is on the cloud rather than desktop version we don't need to synchronise as this never worked properly anyway

Cons:

they are removing useful features every year to the point it becomes a glorified database, it always has technical issues of some description. they fix one thing and break another. It is very limited in what it can do, looks ok on the outside but when you come to use it you find that it is so limited it is difficult to make it work effectively.

Bud
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

22 year plus customer Sage / Act

Comments: Years ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Pros:

I was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.

Cons:

Customer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.

Brad
Semiconductors, Self Employed

2021 ACT v22 Review

Comments: Overall, from 1991 up until summer 2020, has been pretty seamless using ACT and upgrading from previous versions to current versions. The last v22.0 upgrade I installed, gave me the impression that someone at ACT was more concerned about getting their bonus and 'rushing' out this new version, than making sure an 'error free' product was released. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, gives the impression they're going to "milk the cow" and end up closing up the business and leaving customers stranded.

Pros:

Familiar as I have been using ACT since 1991, starting with v2.0 and now have v22.1.

Cons:

ACT worked 'great' up to and including v21. Since the release of v22, I get ACT "NOT RESPONDING" messages 6-8x per day and need to completely reboot my laptop. Also with v22, I have randomly and periodically had (2x) my template for Contacts changed/rearranged. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, makes using ACT and potentially upgrading to the next version of ACT "unattractive".

Tracy
Program manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Act is great for marketing

Comments: Our marketing team is virtual and located all over the US. We use Act for all our marketing accounts. Our administration uses Act for business development as well as our marketing team for each and every campaign.

Pros:

We have been using Act for 18 years. It's a nice product with as many bells and whistles thats needed for a CRM. Its easy to implement and set up databases. It has the necessary features for analytics and reporting for clients.We plan to upgrade to an Act cloud version soon.

Cons:

The only feature I would like to see added would be an internal voip so that you could hit the call button and Act would dial automatically.

last year

We love hearing from our customers, Tracy! Some of our favorite features have come from the suggestions of power users like you! We invite you to please submit your feature request by visiting this URL. https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/5833907456404e3d99cb5c440433f6a0 Thank you!

Mark
Marketing Manager in US
Environmental Services, 51–200 Employees

Act is a great CRM for the cost

Pros:

Act is vert easy to use and customize to the users needs. Very little training is required for new users

Cons:

None it is a very good CRM for marketing purposes

last year

Thank you, Mark! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning how Act! is helping their businesses around the world. And, we'd love to learn more about your business if you'd like to share your Act! Success Story. It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. https://www.act.com/success-stories/ Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you!

Bruce
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Using ACT!

Comments: I have been using the program for 15 years. I like that when I last upgraded I did not have to learn everything over again! Microsoft does this and I don't care for it. I use mostly the contact database. However, I expect to purchase another copy of the program because of a new contract that will have extensive telemarketing and reporting.

Pros:

Easy to use

Cons:

Some of the features I will never use and some of the features take some time to learn how to use.

7 years ago

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the review! For reference, we offer a wide range of help and support materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested. For new users of Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running. https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act!. Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours It's also possible to purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask! Act!

Anne
Managing Director in Australia
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

Think carefully before buying ACT!

Comments: Our overall experience with ACT! is not good, so after 17 + years I made the decision to switch to another CRM when we upgraded our computers.
Our IT Consultant summarised it beautifully when he was moving programs and files from the existing hardware to new hardware and said "Please tell me you don't want me to move ACT! as well". He never liked it either
The issue with email marketing and emails was long standing and in the end we gave up, without being even close to a solution.
For a small business, it became too complex and non-user friendly, especially as other competitors with more features, better service and a more user-friendly 'current' CRM product entered the market.
Plus, to add insult to injury, Customer Service has deteriorated over the past few years.

Pros:

When we first bought ACT! around 17 years ago we loved it. We were all happy with what it could do to automate the office and with client/lead management.

Cons:

Email marketing and email functionality - or lack of - with Outlook. Only being able to attach one document file to a history note has also caused much frustration.