• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.2 /5
    3.8 /5

About Chargebee

Recurring billing & Subscription management plug & play product that works as a layer of intelligence on top of Payment Gateways.

Learn more about Chargebee

Showing 25 reviews of 36

Razvan G.
Founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing"

Pros: Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons: I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2019
CFO
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2020

"Just Stay Away"

Comments: I do not recommend them to avoid at all costs sign up for the free trial and process your first $50k free then move on to another company.software because once you start making money they will ask for a percentage of the money you collect. WHy do they think they are supposed to get paid a percentage of our moneyy?

Pros: The software is compatible with zapier which makes it easy to connect to other apps. or programs.

Cons: This company is based in the Philippines so the customer support for US-based customers is almost nonexistent. The online chat support is a complete joke because they just enter in "tickets" and never one ever follows up with you regarding an issue or concern. Once I sat down to track the payments that were being processed and the payments "could not authorize payment" but the system was marking the payments as paid. So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account. The revenue story is unreliable and I have had to hire someone just to go inside of Chargebee to make sure the payments actually processed. Can you imaging hiring someone to double-check software?

• Reviewed on 24/06/2020
Valentin M.
Marketing/Manager/Owner
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2015

"Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!"

Comments: I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros: Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons: None! Never had an issue.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2015
Patrick B.
Cofounder and CEO
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2016

"Excellent product!"

Comments: Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros: Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons: A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2016
Jon C.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2016

"Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses"

Comments: Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros: Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons: n/a

• Reviewed on 6/12/2016
Jacob P.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2018

"It's an Okay Product"

Comments: Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros: That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons: It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

• Reviewed on 16/08/2018
Crystal
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2014

"Stellar service saving time and money"

Comments: I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2014
Marcus R.
Head of Business Intelligence | Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2017

"Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup"

Pros: The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons: requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2017
Brad H.
Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 3/10/2017

"Chargebee saved us a TON of dev time."

Pros: I love that Chargebee allows young startups to get their feet under them before charging them. The integration into Braintree was SUPER easy and we haven't really had any problems with it since we started using it. It allows us to manage subscriptions without building our own dev dashboard to do that and gives us much more flexibility than Braintree for doing so. We use coupons to run promos and Chargebee makes that super easy. We use their hosted page for payments inside of an iframe and that has been helpful as well. Again the biggest thing as a young startup is not having to build all of that ourselves or asking the dev team to make changes every time we need to address an issue. Overall I've been very happy with Chargebee and we plan to continue to use them moving forward.

Cons: I'd love for the reporting dashboard to be a little more robust and user friendly. It's not bad but it could definitely be better. Being able to accept multiple currencies could also be handled better, but we get by just fine with the way it's set up. It makes you change your password every 90 days, which is annoying to me but I guess it's more secure...

• Reviewed on 3/10/2017
Samir S.
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2016

"Recurring subscriptions made easy"

Comments: A fantastic tool which makes it really easy to handle all your subscriptions in one place.
Integrate it with the API and you can quickly start charging your customers on any period that you want. With smart and simple integrations to payment gateways you will see money on your account directly and you don't need to handle the credit card information.
New product and coupons is simply added and managed in the interface.
Looking forward to explore the tool even more.

Pros: Easy to use
Simple setup
Great support

Cons: Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2016
Alister R.
Director of Product Innovation
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2018

"easy subscription management software"

Comments: managing payments on saas product. using for invoicing and planning

Pros: nice options available to flexible pricing options for SaaS. complete suite to manage invoicing and recurring payment. The test site for training prior to using is also very useful. We are able to use it really well due to this feature and we can train new employees on the product as well.

Cons: payment gateway integration can be a little more seamless they always encourage stripe, but a lot of spurious txns get generated on that platform.

Hey Alister,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re happy that you find our product features useful.

Regarding your feedback on payment gateways, we are constantly working towards a more seamless integration.

Apart from Stripe we do integrate with several other payment gateways and Payment methods, please take a look at it and let us know if you are interested in any of these ( you can reach out to [email protected]) . We will definitely help you with the set-up process.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2018
Leon muller
  • Reviewed on 2/01/2013

"Great API Docs and Fantastic customer support"

Comments: I first heard of Chargebee after doing some trial integration of both Chargify and Spreedly with our new SaaS app rocketmailmerge.com. A quick look over their API documentation and we were off to work integrating their system with our billing and customer management. Chargebee's API was very easy to integrate, it took only 1 day to get up and running on their sandbox due to their great example code. As an Australian Startup it's very difficult to find a payment manager that can connect to a payment gateway to process USD. Fortunately Chargebee integrates with both Worldpay and eWay. We use Worldpay as our payment gateway so it was paramount that our payment manager supported them. Not only do they support them but about 25 other payment gateways should we ever need to change payment gateways. Chargebee's fees are dirt cheap which makes it a great option for startups who are bootstrapping their building. Their pricing is very competitive and was the best I could find on the market. The team at Chargebee are very helpful and always respond quickly to support emails. Any questions we've had have been answered in detail and the team is a pleasure to communicate with. I will be using and recommending the Chargebee billing platform for all my future projects.

• Reviewed on 2/01/2013
Kate B.
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2019

"Love Chargebee, it makes our accounting a breeze!"

Comments: Great experience! Quick customer service replies if we ran into any hurdles.

Pros: The set up was easy and tailoring the customer front end was really quick. We had connected our Stripe account and were up and running in less than one hour. The reporting seems really in depth and excited to be able to run reports in many different ways.

Cons: I wish there was a "lite" or startup pricing tier. As a small business the cost is a bit prohibitive on top of the processing fees.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2019
Nuno L.
CEO, Co-Founder
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/11/2018

"Our perfect subscription manager"

Pros: We rely on Chargebee to manage subscriptions to our product. It's easy to use and to be integrated, and offers many features such as invoicing, TAX calculator based on location, several plans, offline payments, etc. Customer Support is great and they always hear what you say. Besides managing your subscriptions, it does something very important. By using their payment form on your website, you can easily integrate with several payment processors. This is especially important if you have payments that have been rejected by one processor and you can send them to another processor. It also reduces the dependency on one single processor.

Cons: The only thing that comes to mind is that the invoices it produces are not legal in some countries. For instance, in my country, invoicing software needs to be certified and to produce a SAF-T file with all invoices, that we need to submit to tax authorities. Since Chargebee doesn't do any of that, I need to have a separate invoicing platform.

• Reviewed on 2/11/2018
Client Relationship Manager
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2020

"Chargebee"

Comments: This is the first software that I have used and I found it very easy to learn. I spent a morning going thorugh and learning the ropes and was an expert by the afternoon! Their customer service is awesome and provides great help. However, because it is easy to use, I have not had to use their help more than once.

Pros: Chargebee is easy to use and quick to learn. You are able to access subscriptions with ease. Creating email templates to be sent out is easy. You can view all of your subscriptions on one page or you can add filters to find one specific subscription, too.

Cons: With the email templates, you have to make sure that the client you are sending an email to, has to be in a filter, otherwise, you send it to your entire client base.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2020
Assistant Manager Finance Account
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2018

"It's a useful application if you have the significant large volume of customers for Invoicing"

Comments: Saving lots of time in Invoicing to the customer.

Pros: The application is Subscription enabled. So if the monthly billing amount is same then the subscription will create Invoices every month automatically without manual involvement.

Cons: Sometimes due to system error invoices get created and get paid, which is not in order. I cannot bill single customer from to supplier.

Hi there,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re glad that you find our product useful.

Regarding invoicing due to system errors, I would like to understand more on this. Could you please send me your email address so we get in touch with you on this?

• Reviewed on 14/06/2018
Sally M.
Entrepreneur
  • Reviewed on 2/02/2018

"Wish it were a bit easier"

Pros: I LOVE that you get to start for free while you're getting set up and building your business. That option is very valuable to me and the clients I work with. That is probably the #1 reason my clients have chosen the platform in the past.

Cons: There's so much to set up and sort out, and while it's nice that they reach out to hop on a call and give support (they reach out too much, actually), I'd rather have tutorials or even just a clearer sense of what to take care of first, what comes next, and on and on.
It also surprises me at times how seemingly simple things are not handled simply. For instance, you should be able to send invoices without a client's credit card, or set up multiple payment plans within the same product.

Hi Sally,

Thank you for taking time out to review us :) I¿m happy that you find our test environment valuable and useful.

Regarding your feedback on set up, we will surely take this into consideration and work on a much more easier and quicker way to help set up the Chargebee account. Should you have any queries, please reach out to me or our support team and we will do our best to resolve them.

• Reviewed on 2/02/2018
Todd, chair, bostonchi
  • Reviewed on 18/05/2013

"Chargebee is great!"

Comments: Our small local professional org / non-profit was looking for a newsletter / member management system that was supported and not going to break the bank. During our investigations of MailChimp, we learned about Chargebee. While a relatively new company, we were given confidence by MailChimp's endorsement. We went live a week ago with our new solutions and cannot be happier.

Pros: We've found Krish and his team to be super helpful. They were responsive and informative to our pre-sales questions and have been helpful setting us up with their system. Generally, the product is very easy to use. They are receptive to feedback.

Cons: Since Chargebee is a new company, there are a few rough spots, for example, when using their hosted payment pages, any payment errors are generic. Also, for someone not familiar with payments, some of the configuration took some work.

by Chargebee Inc. on 19/05/2013

Thank you Todd. A pleasure to work with you. Your inputs on your use cases certainly helped us & your review has been a great help to import your existing subscriptions. Looking forward to a long relationship. Thank you.

• Reviewed on 18/05/2013
Stéphane M.
Sales Manager
  • Reviewed on 8/09/2020

"An essential tool to avoid a mess in your monthly and yearly subscriptions over time."

Pros: Robust platform from which you can build a large customer base with different types of subscriptions. High level of customization. The information is well structured. It does integrate well with Stripe.

Cons: The UI could be sexier and the learning curve is steep. Sometimes, it is not intuitive and rely a lot on our IT team to support us internally.

• Reviewed on 8/09/2020
Product & Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2019

"Chargebee Review"

Comments: We were looking at a few options for recurring billing and happy that we chose Chargebee. It does the work for us and we are focusing on more important tasks.

Pros: Great tool for automated recurring billing. My team was up to speed fast and didn't face any issues. Intuitive.

Cons: Not enough filters option to sort the base of users. Matters especially if you want to export lists.

• Reviewed on 18/04/2019
Ryan H.
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2019

"Grossly incompentant"

Comments: If I could do things over again I would have selected a similar provider even if I was forced to pay several hundred dollars per month it would have obviously been worth it. Now I have to make the decision of whether I want to potentially lose over half my subscribers again like the last time I switched billing systems (to Chargebee) or accept that I'm locked in for life.

Pros: Easy to set up and has a good API. Support is good and fast response so long as the issues are simple and don't involve anything technical.

Cons: The backend system is grossly unoptimized to the point many of my customers cannot be billed anymore. I was not informed of these issues when signing up and was promised that the system would be able to handle my very specific usecase. It clearly can't despite me giving them actual numbers. I've already lost over $6000 in charges I can't add to my customers' invoices and a few thousand dollars in invoices that can't be generated. For the past two months I've been unable to add charges for any of my customers and keep getting the runaround by different support agents as to what the cause is. First I was told I was violating a 150 API calls per minute limit despite the fact that not a single call had gone through successfully in the entire time period they were citing but also I'm skeptical of because each API call I make to their service takes between 2 and 10 seconds to complete. Now I'm told I need to batch things weekly because adding charges to my customers is too taxing on their CPUs. Billing line items should scale linearly but it is clear from how quickly their API bogs down that it scales exponentially for them at best and likely even worse. I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2019
László M.
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"Excellent subscription management platform"

Comments: Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros: Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons: Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Max S.
Director, Customer Success
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2019

"Basically, perfect in all aspects"

Comments: We're ourselves are SaaS product, and use Chargebee as a backend for our payments and billing. We extensively use addons and various combinations of subscription plans. I couldn't name another product that I would be that happy with as I am with Chargebee.

Pros: - Perfect UX/UI: all the filters, mass operations, detailed settings are available just as I need them, never think a second where to find a function I need
- Great API & integration support
- Very powerful analytics (especially with RevenueStory)
- Awesome support
- A very, very carefully and thoughtfully planned interface with a deep understanding of the user.

Cons: I faced literally two issues through the course of 6 years using Chargebee in production.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2019
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2020

"To be avoided, it will cost you LT!"

Pros: Chargebee started as a good product challenging Recurly but now it's really one of the worst decision we ever took

Cons: Their representative explicitly lied to to us to get us on a higher pricing in order to get his bonus and then you are stuck with another representation trying to get you to pay even to get his bonus aswell for the same feature that were promised earlier by someone else. Their management really needs to train their staff better & decide on a pricing policy that aligns interest (fixed or variable -- you can have it both ways! ) First chance we get, we get away from this scamming company!

• Reviewed on 20/11/2020
Kenya Business Lead
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2018

"Billing Software For All"

Comments: Chargebee enables is to efficiently bill clients and keep updated records of all customer billing information. The system also enables us to remind clients on outstanding payments. Its integration with our CRM enables us to help keep a centralized platform for custom relations.

Pros: The seamless integrations is enables as well as the automation that come with it.

Cons: The UI can be a bit dragging and makes it difficult for one to stick on the software.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2018