15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About Insightly

Insightly is the modern, affordable CRM that teams love.

Learn more about Insightly

Pros:

Insightly is very user-friendly. With perfect minimalistic design, it still has everything you probably need for contact management.

Cons:

Hard to think of many drawbacks with this CRM.

Insightly ratings

4.0
3.8
3.9
4.0

7.5/10

Insightly has an overall rating of 4.0 out 5 stars based on 657 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Insightly before?

Jennifer
Jennifer
Vice President business development in US
Insurance, 51–200 Employees

Affordable CRM with the features you need

Comments: Has all the features a business needs like ease of use, robust reporting & customizations without the high cost that comes other well known CRMs

Pros:

The ease of onboarding & use. Ability to customize without having to use a developer

Cons:

Nothing. All the features we needed, Insightly has.

Denise
Denise
Marketing Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Insightly developed to enhance our feeds

Comments: In my experience using Insightly, I haven't run into any serious issues. We used to utilize a strange CRM that was built out of sheets and required us to constantly switch between windows. Using Insightly, we can have all of our data in one place, neatly organized in custom fields. In my opinion, the project page may benefit from more fields in which to provide pertinent data.

Pros:

Insightly is how I keep track of all the initiatives we have in the works right now. The management of our company's 5,000+ open positions is a major challenge. Insightly makes it easy for us to keep track of all the moving parts, which would otherwise be difficult to do in a secure manner given the project's multi-stage nature.

Cons:

In most cases, the newly opened Org or Project tab doesn't take up more than half of my screen following a search. I can't figure out how to make the page larger. For some reason, the columns on the Relate and Activity tabs don't remember my saved column width. Every time I use it, I have to resize it.

Jamie
Head of Growth in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Decent CRM but requires discipline

Comments: Insightly was being used for various marketing and sales data processing and activation tasks when I joined, and the account was a real mess because there was little control over who could edit which fields. As a result, no-one was following a consistent lead and opportunity management process, things like date fields became a nightmare because when exporting leads, some appeared to be using US date format and some using UK format, so identifying recent leads & opps was tricky.

Pros:

The sales pipeline views were good because you could have lots of different pipeline views with filters and segmentation options applied without having to add them every time. It was easy to see pipeline value, create new fields and to move opps from one stage to another. Equally it was great for setting up automated email follow ups from demos and integrate with lots of other tools.

Cons:

The lack of user management and access customisation means it is too easy to let poor spiral out of control and ruin your data. Equally the dashboards/Reports section really needs work as it’s unnecessarily difficult to create reports and dashboards for very simple metrics.

Insightly Response

2 months ago

Hey Jamie! Thanks for your review. Glad to know you see the significant power of Insightly, when configured correctly, to support your team. We would love to learn more about your concerns regarding user management and customization as several options are available based on your plan level. Please reach out to me or [email protected] with discuss.

Pier Ludovico
Pier Ludovico
CEO in Italy
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

DON’T REGISTER! Once you are in they lock you in a cage and throw away the key

1.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

It was extremely easy to install, even though I wanted to clarify some features and it was impossible.

Cons:

I registered, I used it for a while for CRM purposes and then I wanted to close my account. IMPOSSIBLE! Insightly is spamming every day and there’s no way to go out of this day & nightmare

Insightly Response

5 days ago

Hello Pier, I hope all is well. It looks like your free Insightly account was still subscribed to one of our email lists. I removed you from that list to prevent further messaging. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If there is another account I'm not aware of, please let me know.

Jim
VP Sales and Marketing in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

12 good years of using Insightly CRM

5.0 last month New

Comments: I love it. If not for Insightly I'd be using spreadsheets and going crazy trying to track my long list of clients that includes boiler system bids, direct commercial and industrial system sales, building and maintaining relationships with mechanical engineers and architects, and a good number of residential boiler prospects.

Pros:

Insightly's design is intuitive and easy to understand how to set up. I recall starting to use it on the first day, right after an initial walkthrough. We did not hire anyone to assist. Then I evolved the setup as time went by. Opportunities & Projects are key to us and with good naming practices they are easy to refer to as needed in the future after completion: such as "2023..Smith Company-New boiler project". And all parties connected to a Project can be linked so easily. Attach price quotes to it: ours to the client and supplier to us. Automatic tasks when you change from Opportunity to Project can alert others to place orders, put into our financial software, etc...

Cons:

They like to push their AppConnect but we really don't need that level of complexity AND they have lots of built-in interfaces into other apps like Quickbooks (which is limited but great for small business situations where elegant interfaces are not needed. Also, we tried their Service apps and found them lacking for the kind of Service that my company does: We install boiler systems and provide ongoing services for them--not free or by annual contract. So we needed a way to easily send invoices and collect $ for work done. Insightly seemed to be oriented to Software service contract situations where annual contracts are the norm and all interactions are free and nobody leaves the office. I suppose it is good for that but not so much where you have trucks driving 100 miles to do a repair.

Taylor
Director of Design and Engineering in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Insightly is good, but there are better CRMs out there

4.0 last month New

Comments: Insightly is great a simple every day tasks, but does not handle complexity very well.

Pros:

I like the collaboration capabilities with API via Appconnect, AutoCAD, BricsCAD, Loveland Innovations IMGING, etc

Cons:

The cap of fields in a custom object, the automations not triggering correctly -> you have to delay triggers so that automations do not overlap and contradict each other. Sometimes automations to not trigger at all. There are a lot of holes and catch reports that need to be created.

Megan
Case Manager in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

App Connect

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall we are very pleased with Insightly and App Connect

Pros:

App Connect is amazing. It really does help with efficiencies and workflow. It does so much more than we initially thought! We especially love how it automatically calculates our numbers.

Cons:

It is not as user friendly as it is made out to seem. We really do need the App Connect specialist's support. App Connect is very expensive. We are going through our 10 free hours quickly and we have a lot more project we need help with.

Amanda
Director of Customer Service in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Solid & Easy to Use CRM

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Very user friendly, custom views for all users is great, reporting is excellent. Custom modules have their limitations but have worked very well for our business so far.

Cons:

There needs to be a better way to link related requests to opportunities.

Elizabeth
Senior Customer Care Specialist in US
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Good for a small company

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I like the project management, pipelines, and the ability and ease of adding tasks and comments to various objects.

Cons:

There are so many objects and fields, it takes new users a while to get accustomed to the interface. It also does not have intuitive searching and looks for verbatim entries

Parker
Digital Marketing Manager in US
Food Production, 51–200 Employees

Insightly Review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I really like how easy Insightly is to use. It is pretty streamlined.

Cons:

Since Insightly is so streamlined, it is hard to make in-depth automations, especially when it comes to actions between different objects

Anne
Director Operations in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

Customizing Insightly

Comments: I think it is a great, affordable product. I'm disappointed in the Customer Care response (or lack thereof). The Customer Support team is great. They can troubleshoot and fix items. Customer Care is required if you are trying to better/best use the product. I think that group needs some work. Anyone customizing the product should be confident that Insightly knows how it will be used for user's business and that may mean more questions upfront, better understanding of a client's business.

Pros:

That we could customize. We were able to make this software work for our needs, which were a bit different than how the typical sales team might. We can track our orders and do great reporting. Dashboards are very nice feature. Ability to customize pipelines very helpful and visuals are great. Customer support team is helpful and responsive.

Cons:

Integration with our needs was a bit difficult. Our sales person seemed to understand what we needed to accomplish but I don't think the customer care person is as savvy. Customization is great, but if it impacts how you can report items or get most accurate data, user needs to understand that. We got creative in how we used items and where possible, didn't customize, just repurposed so we got the benefit of the connections Insightly makes. In our haste to be up and using, I don't think enough time was spent on that and rework was involved.

Natalie
Operations & Training Manager in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Insightly - We're Back Again

Comments: We love Insightly and have solved the major issue of project management as well as integration with Quickbooks so we can have a high level overview of each project, opportunity, and where we are with the quickbooks billing. It saves us a lot of time and removes a lot of human error in our processes as well.

Pros:

The ease of tracking multiple types of projects and stages of the project and the visibility of each project's status. We tried Hubspot for two years and came back with Insightly as it was so much better to use.

Cons:

The marketing function, and the products, pricebooks, and quotes could use some additional features compared to their competition. They aren't as easy to use and can be clunky at times.

Michelle
Business & Marketing Coordinator in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

Allows us to grow into our needs

Comments: Great! It suits our needs perfectly.

Pros:

It can be used in simple form or allows us to enable more features as our needs grow.

Cons:

There are certain limitations with customizability, but Insightly often addresses these and rolls out features updates.

Kevin
Sr Director in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Insightly is sales incite.

Comments: Very positive and strongly recommend to other users.

Pros:

The self-served ability to customize our pipeline by service offering.

Cons:

Service after the sale to help us understand the other suite of services that we are not using well or at all.

Dave
Dave
US
Entertainment

HORRIBLE experience with Insightly.

Comments: We've been looking around for a new system for the past few months. Insighly has a lot of great features but we've run into way too many problems using it.

Pros:

* CRM and project management together in the same application * Easy navigation between clients, leads, tasks, etc * User-friendly interface

Cons:

Far too many features are missing and it seems like Insightly just isn't in a hurry to make the necessary features available such as: * Can't send HTML emails from within Insightly. It's 2016 -- HTML email has been around for a long time. It's so hard to believe that this isn't a priority for them. * Can't PRINT any of the data from within Insightly. This is a necessary feature for our company (and I'd think for ANY company). What good can our data do for our company if it can't be printed out? * There always seems to be some kind of bug with the Google calendar integration. Items appear as one date inside of Insightly and another date inside Google Calendar. * Cost of service is ridiculously overpriced when compared to the basic functionality that is missing. Cost of $35/month per user means that it could cost us $350/month to migrate our team to Insightly -- we simply CAN NOT JUSTIFY SPENDING $4200 per year on a system that isn't fully functional. * SLOW, SLOW, SLOW customer service / tech support. I reported an issue last September and I received a notification 7 months later that it has been resolved. Why do simple fixes take so long? * They do NOT listen to what their customers want and instead choose to roll out new "features" that no one was asking for in the first place. We want HTML email and we want to be able to PRINT. Why is that so hard to do?

Aaron
Owner in US
Construction, Self Employed

OMG!!!

Comments: My business wouldn't run without it. I have too much to keep track of and it now stays all in one place.

Pros:

Everything! There is so much here that makes things so much more organized! I have a virtual assistant that keeps it updated and I just roll through every day and continue with the projects. I'm in the field and upload pictures in real time that tie together. Projects run smoothly with all of the contact info for all of my subcontractors is right there in the project. My favorite feature is that insightly creates a unique email for every entry and I can CC: that email address whenever I email a client or subcontractor and it automatically stores under that entry. I can link projects to contacts and files and notes, and organizations. I can't say enough about this software! Oh yeah, automations and auto creation of tasks based on stages in the project. I create activity sets that automatically create and assign tasks with start dates and due dates with the click of a button. SUCH A TIME SAVER! Integration with my Google Drive, integration with my calendar, integration with my Quickbooks, integration with...... ..... ......

Cons:

It has so much to offer that it can be a bit overwhelming to set up, but they offer a setup service. It works just great.

Elysha
Admissions Manager
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

Nothing but trouble since March revisions

Pros:

Easy to find videos on how to update/organize general sections. Everything is pretty self-explanatory so heavy training was not needed when I first joined the company using this CRM.

Cons:

Slow and very unhelpful customer service. Extremely poor functionality, navigation, and organization. Many bugs.... Then a severe lack of help in fixing said bugs. There is no number to call, and if you need help you can only speak with a general customer support member by scheduling a call, and only after expressing dissatisfaction, you are never put in touch with the technical team. I don't have the time nor willingness to become Insightly's tester by constantly reporting new issues, which then are either slowly to never resolved. There have been so many issues since the March updates, our website and other tools don't function properly because fields were renamed. Renaming and deleting tags rarely works, or you have to do so a few times in order for it to stick. Writing notes or emails - you can't bold, italic, or cross out text nor backspace/delete normal (screenshots already provided). My manual labor has increased ridiculously, and frustrations rise every time a new bug is found since the old ones are still an issue. It's hard to create proper reports since contacts/opportunities are separate items. There is no one to call to walk you through something if needed. I understand the price is lower, but I don't feel my company gets what it pays for anymore thanks to all these issues. I'm an extremely frustrated user... who is losing customers and gaining a lot of work and headaches thanks to this CRM.

Rion
CoFounder
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Awful Customer Service Responses

Comments: I'm going to start this out by saying that I am the CMO for a SaaS company; one that builds a retail CRM. I am imminently qualified to speak on this particular subject. I did not subscribe to Insightly in the interest of that company (another I own), but I am more acutely aware of the challenges that these companies face, than most. Because of that, I'm also more likely to be more forgiving, in the event of a bug. That said, this may be one of the worst customer experiences that I've had in years. We faced a problem with spam coming in through Insightly's web form (as implemented on our Word Press website). Now, spam is not Insightly's problem, yet they build a tool designed for the collection of customer data, so it's a problem they're bound to have some experiences with. Per the company documentation instructions, we set up Google's reCaptcha (as is part of our best practices for building any new site) for controlling the problem. It didn't seem to be working, though. After further investigation by both our internal front an back end developers, we discovered that Insightly was not sending our token to Google for approval. When confronted with this information, multiple Insightly staff parroted back to me that it essentially wasn't their problem. When we pointed our customer service rep, Dan, to the insight.ly article which said at the bottom that you can add reCAPTCHA to a page to stop spam submissions, and he looked at that and said, "Well... We never PROMISED it would work." Seriously? When I asked to have their engineers speak to my developers to attempt to figure out what was going on here, we more or less got more of the same, from several different customer service reps. When sent proof of the mistake, we were again told that it was not Insightly's problem. We weren't asking for much. Developers make mistakes. It's okay. It happens. It was the absolute refusal to deal with a verified issue with their system that really left a bad taste in our mouths. As of today, we are still waiting for a response. Am giving it 24 more hours and we'll be taking our business elsewhere.

Pros:

Easy enough to use for small business owners, if you can see your way out of getting tons of unsolicited spam.

Cons:

Responsive customer service that doesn't seem well informed to deal with anything beyond the most basic of questions.

owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Easy to implement and it's very affordable

Comments: Keeps thing organized, the price is right.

Pros:

We've been using it for 5 years. Small Retail online/brick mortar for customer follow up. 3 users, it makes it easy to follow and get updates about tasks. the gadget that interfaces with gmail is convenient.

Cons:

My staff that are in their 20's say the new UI is confusing and harder to use, so we stay with the older UI. The side bar chrome extension was suppose to make things easy but after trying it for a month my staff avoids it. Customer service is mediocre , they only wanted to help if I were going to upgrade to a higher level. I wanted to fist resolve over 700 contact dups. They said I had to do it manually! Emailing - Bcc'ing insightly each time I send an email seems so old style. When I get a rely the email does not go into the same thread, seems to me that is standard now a days. I've been using it so long I know what it's missing so we take extra notes or have links from the email in the notes so other staff can see or find the thread.

Regional Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

CRM software that promises ease of use, but just can't seem to deliver

Comments: Insightly's CRM software has been essential for our sales reporting and tracking requirements.

Pros:

The dashboard interface is convenient and graphically easy to navigate, and it is an attractive interface. Some of the sections are simple and understandable by anyone first using the software.

Cons:

It is difficult to generate reports unless those reports have been pre-configured. To generate a new report requires a substantial amount of input in fields which are not easy to understand. Though the dashboard is easy to understand and navigate, many of the other opening pages are not. And it offers some very confusing pop-ups, such as in "Projects" it asks you to "Check out the Kanban view for projects" without explanation of what exactly the "Kanban" is. Additionally, if you enter a sales lead, it is very difficult to convert it to an "opportunity." Also, when you create a new contact and associate it with an existing company or account, you wold expect it to give you the option of importing the account's address and phone numbers to the new contact's fields -- but it doesn't, and you have to enter those again. Finally, I do wish there were more "help" menus (question marks) surrounding some of the entry fields that you could click for an instant explanation or guide.

Walter
co-director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

my review

Comments: coordination of our efforts. we have raised our planning horizon to 2 or 3 weeks out. We do a significant amount of USPS mailings through the year, approx 15,000 letters. Insightly has ignored the problem and has left it up to us to plod our way through a process they could drastically reduce.

Pros:

Connectivity of all its functions. Speed of accessing data

Cons:

Too many pebbles in the shoe! They move on with the sizzle, but ignore the steak.

Kevin
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Great Potential, Lack of Foresight

Comments: In general, the product is easy to learn and use. It has the potential to be great with just a few changes, but the programmers don't see the possibilities.

Pros:

Great cost. Fairly powerful CRM system and reasonably intuitive to use.

Cons:

Whenever you push events from your Google calendar to Insightly, the Insightly calendar makes it private with no display of time, so nobody else can see it. It just disappears for everyone else. Likewise, any event you put on Insightly marked private doesn't show on the calendar as busy. It just disappears for everyone else. So, this bug makes the calendar essentially useless for showing team member availability and for scheduling. It also prevents other scheduling app integrations from functioning properly. Tasks are simply Events that don't have a start and end time. Events should act just like Tasks and be reported the same way. A simple solution is to scrap Events altogether and simply take the code used to create beginning and ending times on Events and apply that to Tasks as an option. The Task reports and all its functionality are great. Events is a little better, but generally poor. It's not needed if the features of Events are simply added to Tasks. This would make managing tasks and events in projects incredibly easy and much better than now. Right now, you have to use another program to manage simple workflows because this is so inadequate and inflexible. To fix this and make it far better only requires a couple of simple tweaks. Project management is not great. They haven't figured out the advantages of drag and drop.

Tim
Tim
Voice Over Artist / Owner in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Insightly was my runner up when picking a CRM. The automation looked awesome.

Comments: What I wanted to do would be more work in Insightly, but for a lot of businesses, this one is it.

Pros:

Insightly is a great contender in the small business CRM market. I had looked at many others (there are a TON of CRM out there), basing my criteria on integration with accounting software, ease of managing client information, and ease of managing client projects. Unfortunately, none of the CRM I looked at has strong integration into the accounting software that I ultimately went with. Insightly seems to have some great automation to help out with managing projects, but where it got beat out was the managing of client information. Since a lot of my business is conducted through social media, another software beat it in ease of integration with those applications.

Cons:

As with some of my other reviews, I don't find much not to like with Insightly. It does what it does very well, it just isn't as integrated into social media as some of it's competitors. If I were doing less prospecting and research on clients- such as if I had a business where people were coming to me to get something made or repaired, then Insightly would be the winner. As it is, I spend most of my day finding prospects to put in the pipeline, and that would be more work with this product.

Jackie
Executive Director in US
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

InSightly for Non-Profit Use

Pros:

Easy user interface The InSightly University provides lots of quick, well made instructional videos Free for a limited number of users Great for tracking grants, related documents, & timelines

Cons:

If you have over a certain number of records the platform begins to charge a fee - this would be fine if there was an easy way to delete "records". For example, if I'm working on a grant that is finite and generates 200 "records" -- if I only desire to keep the final project and do not need the records generated along the way; I have to go in and delete each one. As a non-profit with a relatively small budget, this is a great tool, but is too time-consuming to go back and individually delete. Right now, we are a small growing non-profit. I would pay for this service eventually but cannot do so at this time. So freeware platforms will end up with my business now where InSightly delivers on quality - affordability isn't there.

Eliot
Director of Business Development in US

Good CRM for small business. Easy to use - Easy to import lists

Pros:

I've using Insightly for years. It is a very easy process to import prospect lists. Since I am the main user in my organization I've been able to use the basic functionality without needing the reporting and audit capabilities. Easy to cc outgoing mails to the prospect listing. Simplicity is the biggest benefit for Insightly. Anyone can import without needing IT support. Search function is incredibly simple. Setting follow up is a click and done.

Cons:

If I don't set up a next step or follow up for a prospect, it is easy to lose track of the prospect forever. I don't use the formal opportunity function as I found it easier to keep track of progress by setting unique follow up listings.