Filter by:

• Overall

About Schoology

Schoology, a PowerSchool company, is the education technology company putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience.

Learn more about Schoology

Math Teacher/Digital Learning Specialist in US
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees

Best LMS hands down!

5 last year

Comments: I've built many project-based and blended learning courses within the Schoology LMS that have allowed me to revolutionize the traditional classroom. We saw huge increases in student accountability and achievement, and tracking student progress has never been so easy. We also use Schoology to take asynchronous remote attendance with just a few clicks of a button. I am extremely proud of what my school has been able to accomplish with this platform. The feedback and ideas I get from both students and teachers continues to inspire me to take learning to the next level using Schoology. Our new virtual classroom is more fun, interactive, and engaging than ever before!

Pros:

Schoology is packed with features that let educators customize their courses and content to meet the specific learning needs of various populations of students. The user interface is fresh, simple, and easy to navigate. Many popular external applications are already integrated and available to use within the Schoology platform and sync effortlessly with the gradebook. For me personally, I really appreciate the way I can build customized, authentic, and engaging assessments from their wide assortment of question types. Schoology also has a badge rewards system where teachers can reward students for accomplishing certain tasks. Schoology simply is super customizable with a ton of features that other LMS don't offer.

Cons:

As a user of many learning management systems over the past decade, there is no area where I feel Schoology is lacking in. It is the best for what it does.

Philip P.
Philip P.

A Full Service LMS Offers So Many More Options

4 last year

Comments: We've been using for four years and they keep making it better! All of my course content is in Schoology and since I teach using the flipped classroom model, the switch to fully online learning in the spring was pretty much seamless for all my students with home internet access. I am also a Schoology Ambassador.

Pros:

Our district uses Schoology as a district-wide Learning Management System (LMS). We switched to Schoology last year and I use Schoology for almost all of my course work. I teach using the flipped classroom model and Schoology's platform allows me to share my lecture videos, conduct assessments of student knowledge and understanding, give assignments, and to provide communication with students and parents. All of my content is available to my students through Schoology 24/7, I can make it available in a variety of ways, and I can make updates in real-time. Schoology's introduction of the Google Assignment App has me excited about our switch to Chromebooks. This app allows you to attach a Google Doc (say a study guide) as part of an assignment. When students open the assignment the document is copied, renamed, and added to their Google Drive. No more students opening or copying a new version of the document each time they go back to the assignment instead of to the copy they made but didn't actually rename as the directions stated. The document is 'tied' to the assignment and updates no matter where they work on it from (inside the assignment or through their Google Drive.) I also use the platform’s completion rules to give students autonomy while also keeping them on track. Another great option is the ability to add images to pages, updates, announcements, and folders to give visual information, help guide students, and give them access options. I also am able to hyperlink

Cons:

While they've done a great job updating the product, however, I wish the pace of that was faster. For example, they introduced a new "Assessments" feature that was to eventually replace the "Test/Quiz" feature once it had all of the same options. While the question types in Assessments are nicer, it is two years later and it is still missing features of Test/Quiz including the ability to comment on individual student questions, auto-correction and rescoring if you made a mistake in setting up the correct answer in a question, and importantly, they still have not added a question test bank option for Assessments. Without the option to randomly pull questions from question banks I still use Test/Quiz for later end of unit assessments and semester exams.

David W.
7-12 Online Learning Coordinator in US
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

Schoology for Classes and Professional Development

5 5 years ago

Comments: In my 7 years as a teacher, I was always looking for the latest and greatest tools. The one thing that never changed, was Schoology. They are constantly improving their product and updating to make it better. I used all the free features of Schoology with my students. We took all of our assessments via their platform. They submitted assignments, essays, and projects via the other software. I was able to easily attach rubrics to the work that students were creating. My favorite piece was the discussions. It allowed me to elicit responses from all students, not just the ones who were willing to raise their hands. I would often use the online discussions to facilitate a face to face discussion in class the next day. I was able to use the responses from the online portion to direct and call out specific responses that could further our in class discussion. Schoology is an all around great tool, if you are looking for an LMS, it would be a mistake not to consider Schoology. In my current role, I provide more professional development support. I am working with teachers on their implementation of Schoology and other tools. Schoology allows me a way to deliver online courses to teachers and support them in their growth. It is a great experience for our teachers to use Schoology as a student, this gives them the perspective they need when it is time to work with their students. It also affords us the opportunity to show them some best practices of using an LMS. Schoology is a winner in every way, I wouldn't be where I am today without Schoology, and our teachers wouldn't be making the gains they are without the support of Schoology.

Pros:

There is an instant comfort to using Schoology for students and teachers. Most things are very easy to find and within a couple uses, teachers begin to develop confidence with the program. As a teacher, I was easily able to teach myself (with some online guidance) how to accomplish what I needed. The range of options available for free is outstanding and the paid version just adds the icing to the cake!

Cons:

There are times where it seems like I have to click a lot of buttons to execute something. There are some quirks (as there are with many programs) that don't seem 100% logical to me. With that said, Schoology is always willing to listen, things may not be fixed immediately but it is nice to know they are aware.

Student in Philippines
Executive Office, Self Employed

Schoology Efficiency

4 2 years ago

Comments: I wanted to see if there was a difference in doing school work online and doing school work the traditional way using pen and paper. While you can get more distracted doing school work through Schoology since you are online and you have more access to other applications, I felt encouraged to finish my work faster and more efficiently since it was easy to access and it was quicker to type in my work instead of writing it. Also, it was motivating to see my progress in each class so I know what I need to work on and how well I’m doing. Overall, it was a good experience and if I had more professors utilizing this application/software, I would like it.

Pros:

It was extremely convenient not only as a student but for staff and teachers that manage a large amount of students. For students, they are more encouraged to finish the school work quickly due to its convenience since they are only required to have a technological device such as a tablet or phone and internet in order to finish their work. They can access this in school, home, or anywhere as long as they have access to the internet. The app or website is easy to navigate through as well. The same goes for teachers and other staff since they are able to go through each student’s work efficiently since they are listed under their respective classes. Both student and teacher are able to track the progress of their work and they are enabled to see how they are faring in each class which encourages each student to improve and teachers are able to see which topic a student needs to work on. Teachers are also able to post take-home quizzes and lectures online which students can conveniently access.

Cons:

If the student does not have access to wifi or internet, they are unable to see their homework/school work and they won’t be able to submit their requirements.

Deanna S.
Deanna S.
English Teacher in US
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees

Transforming the Digital Space

5 3 years ago

Comments: Schoology has enabled me to create a digital platform for my students to access whenever and however they need. Being a traveling teacher has its own unique set of obstacles, but Schoology has empowered me to bring my in-person style and flare to the digital space. I no longer feel as I am scatted around multiple classrooms. Each of my digital classrooms are organized in the same manner so there is a sense of structure to my instruction, just like a physical space would allow.

Pros:

I love that I can use Schoology as a vehicle to personalization--personalization for student learning and personalization for my instruction. I am able to add/delete assignments for students. I can create assignments for specific groups of students. It is easier to use the same rubric for similar assignments because the rubric is already built and saved. I can deliver lessons in various methods. My instruction and assessment have become more transparent (and more fair!) for students due to these features.

Cons:

The features that I most dislike about Schoology revolve around the integrations with Google Drive and TurnItIn. While I have long applauded the Google integration, I detest that the Google assignments (when submitted through this integration) are not time stamped. Also, my colleagues and I have found TurnItIn to be a bit more complicated than necessary to use. It is not intuitive, and rather difficult to explain to students. I often end up not using it.

Traci D.

The.LMS.System

5 2 years ago

Pros:

Having come from Google Classroom, Schoology is a more robust learning management system. Teachers can create assignments, discussions, assessments. There is more than just a stream of posts. Folders are necessary to organize content. There is a free version of it that still has decent features but the enterprise version has ALL the tools that you need to manage student learning, grades, feedback, and communication. The online grade-book has the ability to create assessments and rubrics and keep track of student performance. I love that students can use the app, in addition to the Chromebook.

Cons:

The learning curve can be steep; the user interface can be overwhelming. I wish that I could link sections of courses so that the I didn't have to re-post the same items in another section. For example, I teach two 7th grade sections. I find myself manually copying and posting in each separately - this takes extra time. Right now this doesn't have grade-book integration for our district, they are working on it. Grade-book integration is truly a requirement. Students and parents also cite issues with things being reported as late/over due that actually are not. Parents may need a streamlined interface or some free training. In terms of communication, it would be helpful to see stats on the message (how many read out of how many).

Robert B.
CTE Teacher in US
E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Effective LMS for Online Instruction

5 last year

Comments: I have used Schoology in my classroom for the past four school years. Prior to that, I had tried Moodle, Blackboard and Edmodo for use with my students. Schoology has been the most intuitive to understand and set up. It helps students easily find resources and allows me to integrate numerous online tools, meeting all of my needs as a classroom teacher. This year, our district has moved to requiring us to use Canvas, which really put just how easy and functional Schoology is into perspective for me.

Pros:

Schoology is very intuitive for teachers, students and parents providing an easy to use learning management system for all.

Cons:

Using the free, non-enterprise, version doesn't provide teachers with student access analytics.

Donna S.
Digital Learning Coach in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Schoology supports students, families, and teachers

5 last year

Pros:

Schoology is a robust yet flexible tool that helps teachers provide content, instruction and feedback to students and families. It is highly customizable and allows teachers to integrate most any other digital tool to meet the diverse needs of learners. Schoology can be used in basic to deeply developed ways. One of my favorite features is the ability to save and build content and items from course to course. You are able to save time and build stronger learning experiences as your skills and created items grow.

Cons:

The biggest challenge with Schoology is the shear volume of customizable features and functions. The basics are relatively easy to learn, but it does take time to play and learn the full capabilities this product has to offer.

Dakota B.
Dakota B.
English Second Language Teacher in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Schoology LMS

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall, Schoology is a great learning management system and has made delivering content and assesssment student progress a much more manageable task.

Pros:

What I like most about Schoology is it's ease of use. The interface is clean and takes on a social media feel which most of its users will be used to and appreciate. I also love how you can integrate many of the top educational programs and apps right along with Schoology such as quizlet.com and nearpod.com.

Cons:

What I like least about Schoology is how certain features that would seemingly be easy to fix take so long to be developed or go into affect. For example, the launch of the new assessments feature was very exciting because it open up more question types, but lacked some of the features so beneficial to students and educators. These features include the Spanish keyboards, quetion banks, and printable assessments.

Sarah M.
Principal in US

Schoology

5 2 years ago

Comments: They've been great. I have gotten the opportunity to learn from many users and become a resident expert in my school as well.

Pros:

This platform has been a savior in the current remote learning context we are in with this extended closure due to COVID 19. They've adjusted their settings, provided support and are responsive to the customer needs.

Cons:

I wish they would make blind scoring a reality in their platform for written work! This would allow us to eliminate one other platform and it seems like something that this LMS could manage.

Kathi S.
educator in US
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Great for virtual learning

5 11 months ago

Comments: Easy teacher-friendly for the use of assignments and lessons. I have integrated looms and google drive into the work and that is easy as well. I wish there was the ability to zoom from the Schoology site though. I also wish they had test banks of questions and assignments to pull from.

Pros:

This software was given to us a few days prior to school but we were told it was what we were using for virtual teaching. Therefore a rough start but not Schoology's fault. The software was taught to us in a quick fashion but was easy to use once I got the hang of it. I am learning more as time goes by and am pleased with how easily students and an older teacher such as myself can learn. The integration of materials is easy and allows for individualized learning and assessment for our diverse student body.

Cons:

I do not like the setup for assessment being in a different place than the due dates. I wish it was all in one easy place such as when setting up the assessment. I also wish the bulk edit button had a link to alter questions if a mistake was found so I do not have to go looking for the assessment.

Melanie P.
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

Pros for online teaching

5 9 months ago

Comments: overall it has been a great experience for me as a teacher and my kids as students

Pros:

My school opted to change to schoology from google classroom and it has been the greatest decision they have made. it is more user friendly for teachers and we can hide and publish stuff

Cons:

This is a very user friendly application for teachers but students struggle at times because if I unpublished and app kids won't see the changes unless I refresh it.

Illustrator in US

There's a reason so many institutions use it

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Schoology is still the best online learning system I can find. It's prettier than blackboard, more functional, and offers a good UI experience and delivery of content. I've been using it for several years now, and rarely do I run into problems. When I do, they're quick to solve them and quick to update the functionality as a whole. It makes fora great experience for both teachers and students alike.

Cons:

It'd be nice to have a little more option for graphics experience and even perhaps for live student interaction. As it is, we still wind up on skype for live learning experiences.

Dan T.
Dan T.
Teaching Assistant in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 501-1,000 Employees

Classroom Management Made Easy

5 3 years ago

Comments: I have been using Schoology in my classroom for 4 years in a vocational career and technical education for high school juniors and seniors. By using the free edition of Schoology, our classroom has become more efficient by going mostly all digital through a combination of this platform and Google Drive. Students can access and turn in materials (and I can grade) from anywhere there is internet. It has allowed us to spend more time working with students in the classroom.

Pros:

Schoology has a plethora of features for organizing and distributing materials, tracking grades and attendance, and assessment.

Cons:

Some great features / functionality is blocked behind their Enterprise (paid) edition.

Kellie A.
District Instructional Technology Coordinator in US
Primary/Secondary Education

Great option for online, blended, and hybrid learning

5 6 years ago

Pros:

We've used several vendors for our Learning Management System (LMS), and Schoology has the most user-friendly and intuitive interface. As a vendor, they are very responsive to the needs of their users, from teachers to students to parents. The parent communication portion is also much better than other LMS's we've used.

Cons:

I think the calendar feature needs some updating. This is a relatively minor point and can be worked around, but I would like to see the ability to have a live ics feed imported into the existing calendars in Schoology as many districts or schools already have calendars in place that should be easier to integrate.

John F.
Musician in US
Music, Self Employed

An excellent way to coordinate schoolwork.

5 2 years ago

Comments: It's excellent software. Most of the administrators at my school have fought to keep it because of how effective and simple it is to use.

Pros:

I loved how I had the ease of turning in assignments and communicating with my teachers and counselors. I never felt disconnected or alone because I could email a teacher and get a response quickly.

Cons:

Our administration locked certain features of the program, which didn't allow any of the students to communicate except in the comment section. I would make this feature so that it was non-restrictive so students can coordinate and work together.

Paul B.
Digital Learning Specialist in US
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Empower Students and Teachers

5 3 years ago

Comments: We have used Schoology to provide over 130 professional development courses. This has helped us innovate our PD model.

Pros:

Schoology gives teachers the opportunities to differentiate instruction and facilitate blended learning opportunities. The ability to individually assign work as well as create student completion rules is particularly beneficial. The mastery components has great power and potential if used correctly.

Cons:

We would like to be better interoperability between Schoology and Infinite Campus. We are piloting the passback feature, but there are a few glitches.

Dan H.
Dan H.
Teacher in US

Schoology is a new age learning management system that has student and parent buy in.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Schoology looks alot like Facebook which is awesome because students don't even realize they are using it to do actual work. The discussion feature allows teachers to teach students how to professionally respond to others work. The work submission side is flawless, allowing students to submit multiple file types. Also, most of it can be utilized for free.

Cons:

I would recommend this for students 13 or older. Some of the communication can be monitored but students can access certain things. You need to monitor them.

Mike W.
Head of Computer Studies & Technology Integratio in Canada

A one-stop-shop for teachers | A window into the classroom for parents

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Schoology has all of the tools a teacher needs to deliver an agile, information dense, student-centered, unique learning experience. The rubric builder, updates, resources and classroom building are common-sense tools. The integration with Google Drive and hundreds of other applications and tools make it a cut above anything else.

Cons:

There is definitely a learning curve to using the product. Implementation needs to be done patiently and with proper training.

Executive Manager/School Administrator in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Schoology is a great LMS!

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Because it looks and feels like Facebook, our students and teachers don't have issues learning how to use it. It is simple and straightforward and one of the best on the market. Love the chat feature for admins. They provide immediate help when I get into a bind.

Cons:

It goes down more than we'd like but that is the nature of technology. Whenever it happens they keep their status page updated so we know what's going on.

Cody S.
Production Director in US

Schoology is a great app to keep everyone on the same page!

5 last year

Comments: Excellent application. Would definitely recommend.

Pros:

I love that everyone can interact and you can post assignments, memos, and organize your business by category. It's like social media for everyone involved. People can view, like and comment posts and assignments. It's very easy to upload material from Google. This app can be learned by anyone, any age!

Cons:

The only feature I feel like could be improved is the interface look. There isn't much customization so it makes the app itself LOOK boring. In 2020, looks are important to people!

Katie M.
Owner in US
Religious Institutions, Self Employed

A Real lifesaver!

4 4 years ago

Comments: - keeping my child accountable for his homework
- keeping on top of my child's grades.
- monitoring days out of school and lateness's.

Pros:

As a parent I really like this program (there is also an app!) Schoology allows me to keep track of my child's grade by seeing almost daily what assignments have been completed, the grade, homework & test scores, etc. This program has helped me keep my child's grade up and keep him accountable for doing his homework.

Cons:

I wish that there was more required teacher accountability (assign homework require 24 hours later to imput grade or something) . There are teachers that are religious about it. I can see my child's grade almost real time and other teachers who won't update for weeks which doesn't allow me to keep on top of my child & his grades. I also find the app could use a makeover, navigation is hard, as a parent there are 3 things I want to see: current grades, absences & lateness, and homework assignments. The rest of what the app offers isn't really applicable to me. In addition to the design on the app itself is not user friendly.

E-Learning, Self Employed

Easy of use +, add some options though

4 2 years ago

Pros:

The software integrates well with PowerSchool and therefore my school well. It is easy enough to use and add assignments to a class.

Cons:

A few things. -Make it easier to add other classes to an assignment before it’s published. -offer an option to put the newest assignments at the top of the feed instead of the bottom. By quarter end it’s ridiculous to scroll through it all. -too laggy when creating tests. I type a whole question then wait for a minute as it adds it to the screen. Super laggy.

Jessica R.
Special Education Teacher in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for general education - curious about modifying for special education

5 2 years ago

Pros:

As a teacher new to the district, I had to learn Schoology quickly before school started. Being in Minnesota, Schoology allowed me to feel prepared for adverse weather conditions and that my students and families would be able to access assignments and materials.

Cons:

I'm curious if the software could be made more accessible to students with disabilities, maybe with just visual supports rather than written text for assignments, links, etc. I feel that students have a difficult time navigating Schoology on their own and am curious if updated versions would be more accessible.

Jared L.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Best LMS Out There!

5 6 years ago

Comments: I use this system every day. My students are required to log in on a daily basis M-F. They have the option to work during the weekends, but are not required. There are so many options for teachers and students: assignments, tests/quizzes, discussions, videos, comments, likes, media albums, calendar, resources, question banks, student completion options, pictures, integration with Google Drive...and I use all of them. Last year, my students worked with me in a blended classroom environment and they enjoyed how easily it was on Schoology. This year, we are working on asynchronous units, and my students are loving it. They can work at their own pace and still get more individualized attention than they would without Schoology. I highly recommend it for any teacher who wants to take their classroom to the next level. Also, you get to go paperless!
Overall, I will say that this product, though not perfect, has made my work as a teacher much easier. I wanted to go paperless and I wanted a system that could easily organize my units. Schoology has folders to do that and resources to keep me and my students organized. It also has groups for all different subjects, which allows me to keep in the loop about new features and products that can benefit me and my classroom. There are elements that still could be updated, such as student annotation features or captioning on webinars for the Deaf, but the Schoology team has been very responsive and open to feedback and are always working to make changes, so I have no doubt that those features will appear soon.