15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About OTRS

Fully-managed service management solution with ticketing, workflow automation & notifications for ITSM, Customer Svc and Security.

Learn more about OTRS

Pros:

OTRS has been the primary unit for setting efficient customer service delivery system. It has created reliable collaboration infrastructure for better employee engagement.

Cons:

This is an open source tool, so you get what you pay for.

OTRS ratings

4.2
4.3
4.4
4.4

8.5/10

OTRS has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 89 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used OTRS before?

Omar
Omar
Technical Coordinator in US
Higher Education

Opensource framework with modern front-end and perl backend

Comments: Low-cost, scalabale solution that could handle multiple trouble ticket queues within one software context.

Pros:

Highly customizable. Perl backend "makes sense" and isn't opaque like some designs. It runs as a set of CGI, so that allows it to be wedged into most any webserver environment. We found it simple to run within an Apache / Linux environment.

Cons:

The CGI-based design is relatively inefficient and can be sluggish without making some optimizations on the webserver side -- mod_perl in our case (relatively complicated). Docs are a bit sparse, though customer service is responsive.

6 years ago

Thanks for taking time to share your experience, Omar.

Alan
Alan
Consulting Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

OTRS is great for small to midsize businesses

Comments: It's a great daily ticket email system.

Pros:

I love the ticket handling and speed of the interface. It's basic layout offers the basics you need to get up and running with a ticketing system.

Cons:

The support is little to non-existent but that is expected with the free tier.

2 years ago

Thank you for the positive words. To clarify, OTRS has both support and functionality that extend beyond what is offered with ((OTRS)) Community Edition.

Mohit
Consultant in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Basic Ticketing tool for customer desks

Comments: Basic software for small organization without advanced features of ITIL.

Pros:

I used it for sometime in one of my assignments. It was a very basic tool with minimum customization. It just does its job and do not provide advanced features of ITIL framework. Reporting was not effective and so was its UI. We replaced this with more advanced CA Servicedesk. However as a freeware, it was good for initial use.

Cons:

It is basic application and nothing much can be expected put of this. Ours is a ITIL compliant organization and need a more robust application.

6 years ago

Hi Mohit. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts on OTRS, and I'm glad you found a solution that fits your needs, I did just want to clarify, for other people reading, that OTRS is ITIL-compliant, and we have 6 ITIL-verified processes for incident, change, problem, knowledge and configuration management. Of course, we can't claim that for the ((OTRS)) Community Edition as that's our free unsupported version: in that case, compliance is in the hands of the user - and it can certainly be tough to configure that solo. But, our fully-managed version of OTRS is ITIL-compliant. Thanks again for the review.

Sascha
Head of Service in Germany
Computer & Network Security, 11–50 Employees

Ticket system with weaknesses

Comments: I had the opportunity to use the OTRS ticket system and would like to share my experience. Overall, the use of the system was positive, but there were also some aspects that, in my opinion, could be improved. The user interface is well-designed and significantly facilitates ticket management. The ability to integrate plugins enhances functionality and allows for customization to meet specific requirements. Unfortunately, I encountered challenges regarding adaptability. It was not as flexible as I would have liked, and options for layout customization could be improved. Better customization options would enhance user-friendliness. Overall, I rate the OTRS ticket system with a score of 5/10. It provides solid core features, but limitations in adaptability and the need for layout improvements impact the overall experience. I hope that future updates will address these aspects and further optimize the system's performance.

Pros:

Clear user interface, plugin capability provided.

Cons:

oor adaptability, layout could be more appealing, inflexible

4 months ago

Thank you for sharing your comments. I'd be curious to know which version you have been using? The UI was extensively redone in the latest version, offering many customization options on the dashboard, within tickets, etc. In any event, we appreciate the time taken to share your insights.

Information Services, 51–200 Employees

Best IT ticket handling

Pros:

It has all features that requires for our ticket system to have the best customer support. Tickets can be easily to manage and track the progress. Not to tell that it also does not take time of implementation with a clear documentation. The dashboard provides a great view to work on.

Cons:

We rarely get issues with it. Only the customization need to be improved as well as the technical support from OTRS

6 months ago

Glad to hear that OTRS is working well as your IT ticket handling system.

Gustavo
Gustavo
Middleware Manager in El Salvador
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

OTRS a complex tool for the creation of Tickets.

Comments: My experience with this tool is to be able to follow the requirements of our customers through the Tickets in OTRS.

Pros:

This tool complies with the necessary requirements to carry out ticket controls and cases attended. It is a very modifiable tool in relation to administration.

Cons:

In my case the disadvantages of this tool is that the user interface is very cumbersome and very unintuitive. The creation of the tickets is very complicated for me. It is necessary to have previous knowledge or to have received an induction to be able to use this tool.

5 years ago

Thanks for taking time to write in Gustavo. The feedback is always appreciated. I don't know if you've had a chance to see the newly released OTRS 7: the external interface was updated with this release, and that's the start of changes to come with respect to the interface. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Annie
Annie
IT Service Desk in India
Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Pretty decent, but it does have a few flaws

Comments: IT Asset Management got easy for us. Thank you for coming up with this application

Pros:

The application is pretty quick and the administrators are able to bring about changes quickly aswell. We create FAQs and SOPs and add it to OTRS which makes it a great internal Knowledge Base. We also use it as a IT Asset management tool.

Cons:

Its not the most fanciest application, but I am used to this now and I love it. No issues in the past 4 years

6 years ago

We're glad that it's helped with your IT Asset Management efforts. Thanks for taking time to share the review.

santosh
Business Head in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

OTRS is a Ticket to Success

Comments: OTRS helped our business to track the effectiveness of the customer support operation and helps in finding the areas of development.

Pros:

The best part about OTRS is it can be fully customizable, it is a flexible and scalable platform that can be personalized to meet the particular needs of a business.It can be easily integrated with other CRM Software.

Cons:

OTRS is complex for new users.OTRS is an open source platform where the vendor cannot provide official support which can be difficult.

7 months ago

Thanks for your input, Santosh. It sounds like you're likely using ((OTRS)) Community Edition. OTRS is a bit different.

Valerie
Valerie
Frontend Developer in Moldova
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Advanced customer service management application

Comments: We have been able to automate workflow processes and improve service delivery to our customers. OTRS has minimized cost of operations and boosted productivity from all the departments.

Pros:

Cons:

The quality of service and feature functionalities have complied with our policies.

6 months ago

Customers play such an important part in our work - glad to hear that OTRS is supporting you well as you deliver service. Appreciate you taking time to write.

Ethan
Ethan
Network Security Engineer in Ireland
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Excellent workflow management software

Comments: The product has enhanced efficient implementation of projects and reliable management of workflows. It has enabled the organization to execute effective service delivery to our customers.

Pros:

OTRS provides effective tools for monitoring workflow progress. It sends notifications to my teams on tasks and reports based on real time performance. It can be easily customized to suit our workflow programs.

Cons:

I have not experienced performance downtimes since deployment.

7 months ago

Glad to hear OTRS provides help to your team with workflow management. Appreciate you taking time to review.

Sarah
Customer Support Manager in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Feedback and the Support Received

Comments: I would like to Thank your Support Team for the exellent level of support and assistance we have been provided since the introduction of OTRS.
I would like to also mention a OTRS staff member who assist with our OTRS version update to 5's Shawn was extramely Professional, friendly, helpful and went a step further to assist me with some system configuration and stepped through some additonal funtionality options available to us.

Pros:

the ability to track a tickets journey from start to resolution

Cons:

some of the terminoligy in the system configuration isn't very user friendly

7 years ago

Dear Sarah, thank you very much for your review. We're thrilled that you're getting value from our software and our services. Shawn will also be very happy to hear your compliments. At OTRS we have an open ear for your ideas and suggestions. If there's anything that we can improve, or if you have a new idea for OTRS please feel free to contact us: [email protected] Best regards, OTRS Marketing Team

Georges
Service Manager in Luxembourg
Telecommunications, 201–500 Employees

With ITSM awareness and maturity, OTRS can be successfully adopted and adapted.

Comments: Organize and Improve Desk and Operation functions. The value and level of services delivered by our department/team is better understood internally. Customer expectation is managed properly, therefore leading to improvements in customer experience.

Pros:

Adaptability to agents organization and processes. ITIL orientation for ops processes and inclusion of Configuration and Knowledge management.

Cons:

Ticket to C.I. links can be better clarified and improved (impact of the relationship) C.I. Features on Customer portal (e.g. missing search function, latency to refresh large CMDB)

Hamza
Software Engineer in Pakistan
Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

One of the best Ticketing System out there

Pros:

Being a part of the implementation and support team, OTRS is our daily thing it notifies us about the new assigned tickets, important followups, internal notes and provides a detailed history of all the past tickets, the power to use SQL queries to make personal filters to sort our tickets and an interactive dashboard.

Cons:

The tool is extremely powerful but the interface is not that interactive and one can miss many useful things just due to the lack of an interactive interface.

2 years ago

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that it's working for you. You may be interested in the interface changes in OTRS 8, which offer far more individualization to agents.

Binu
Application Support Manager in India
Consumer Goods, 10,000+ Employees

Better than Remedy

Comments: Change Management and incidents are easy to manage with this tool

Pros:

This is the only Open Source Ticketing tool that I have used and I should say I'm surprisingly impressed. The change management process flows are easily implemented and easily configured

Cons:

There are no cons that I can talk about. This product is as robust as remedy or any other ticketing system

6 years ago

Hi Binu. We're glad to hear that the process workflows are helping out. Thanks for taking time to review OTRS.

Carlo
IT Manager in Italy
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Very useful product

Pros:

Easy ticket management, high product customization possibilities. Possibility to create many types of reports.

Cons:

The CMDB section is just a container of information. It would be useful to have the ability to manage assets by setting thresholds on the age of the hardware to schedule the replacement.

5 years ago

Thank you for your comments and feedback. Much appreciate it.

Tom
Application Manager in Belgium
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

OTRS helps our business to organise our customer contacts in a structured way!

Pros:

OTRS has the ability to configure everything to your needs. Integration with other systems is very flexible via the webservices.

Cons:

It would be nice to have more tools to import and export data e.g. service list or content for dynamic fields/lists

6 years ago

Thanks for taking time to review OTRS, Tom. We appreciate the feedback.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Decent Ticket Tracking Tool

Pros:

The fact that OTRS is open source and free was a big draw. It was not terribly difficult to configure.

Cons:

The reporting capabilities were lacking for the needs of my team. I would have liked to see better use of configurable dashboards and widgets.

6 years ago

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

Sujoy
CRM Analyst in India
Consumer Goods, 10,000+ Employees

Great App that can be used in any Sector

Comments: Customer responses are managed on time

Pros:

We got this implemented by our IT Team for us to monitor customer responses and it has been just great. All responses get converted into a ticket and we can manage it as per the SLA configured

Cons:

The time it takes to configure small changes are too much, i feel. other than that, I don't think there are any Cons

6 years ago

Thanks for the review, Sujoy. Glad to hear it's helping to manage SLAs.

Georgi
Software Solutions Expert in Bulgaria
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

OTRS review

Pros:

Great amount of features and easy way to configure almost everything

Cons:

It takes time to set up and configure till running state

2 years ago

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Georgi.

Manjunath
Senior System Administrator in India

Great Tool to work with . Its easy and fast

Comments: We use this as our Primary Ticketing Tool.

Pros:

We use it on a regular basis and it helps us monitor tickets and work on them. It's absolutely essential for an ITIL based service desk

Cons:

The GUI could be better. but that's nothing I'm complaining about. I like the speed at which we can change screens

6 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback!

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

customization makes easy issue tracking

Pros:

can submit and track the customer queries easily and customization can be done as per the requirement. notes can be added and the owners can be assigned easily. SLAs can be set up for escalation

Cons:

sometimes it is low in performance and when replied via email for an otrs sent request it creates another duplicated ticket.

5 years ago

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts, and we're glad to hear that OTRS has been useful to you. I'll also share your comments with the rest of the team. Much appreciated.

Simón Bernabé
Simón Bernabé
Operador de Servidores in Venezuela

It is a great software very useful in the IT department of an organization

Comments: Ease to handle the eventualities with the stations of work and telecommunications of the organization

Pros:

It is very easy to use. It has a lot of flexibility you can use custom fields and can be integrated with other applications

Cons:

What I like least about this software is that it does not have a lot of documentation and sometimes it is usually a bit slow when the volume of information grows.

6 years ago

Thank you for taking time to share your review of OTRS. We appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Nadia
Administrative Coordinator I in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent Ticketing System

Comments: Overall, I had a really great experience with this program and would definitely recommend this program.

Pros:

I'm currently using the OTRS-6 system for submitting work order tickets. Before using this system, I would submit a work order and the response time was slow. There was no way that I would have known whether or not the However when I submit a work order request under the OTRS-6 system, I immediately receive a confirmation email and the response time is pretty quick.

Cons:

The only con that I see with this program is that there was no user guide available; however, the program is pretty user-friendly.

5 years ago

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

Mridun
Mridun
Student in India
E-Learning, Self Employed

Best experience

Comments: The versatility and adaptability of the system and the system has a server to manage incidents in an optimal manner

Pros:

OTRS's ability to generate new processes and to change those that become obsolete within the system.

Cons:

many modifiable options causing confusion when have to fix a problem.clicking on several links to get on one path

7 months ago

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Gianluca
Founder in Italy

We are using OTRS for a post-sale process of our Custmer

Pros:

Process of Trouble Ticketing is very deeply developed and the Ticket can be routed between many Groups/Roles and Queues. Every mail can be parsed and generate a new Ticket.

Cons:

Reports are not deeply developed and this module can be improved. Some Reports standard are already developed and ready for use

6 years ago

Hi Gianluca. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts on OTRS. We appreciate the feedback.