• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.3 /5

About CANVAS

Canvas LMS is a fully SaaS learning environment that streamlines interaction and builds strong relationships between teachers and stude

Learn more about CANVAS

Showing 1,952 reviews

James A.
eLearning Developer
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2021

"My favorite academic LMS"

Pros: There are so many great things about Canvas LMS. It's about fit of course, so I would never use it for corporate L&D... but as an academic LMS, it ranks at the top. I love the community forums (you can find help for literally anything), and the numerous tools that are 1) either provided by Canvas, or, 2) integrate nicely with Canvas. I also like the ease of use. It might seem overwhelming at first, but learning to build and administer courses on Canvas becomes easier by the day. So at first it may seem tough, but stick with it! It gets much easier - quickly!

Cons: In order to upgrade the look and feel of it, without hiring a team of graphic designers, you need to use design service that integrates with Canvas.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2021
Pablo R.
Director of Learning Experience
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2020

"Build for teachers"

Comments: Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it.
That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares.
Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pros: 1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework.
2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully.
3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good.
4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Cons: 1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing.
2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue.
3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work.
4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2020
Prashant J.
Graduate Assistant
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2020

"Good offering but bad user interface"

Comments: Overall, the product is pretty easy to use and easy to onboard new users on the usage of the product as well. For certain features, a 'help' section would have been useful but there are ways to get around and learn how to use a functionality present in Canvas.

Pros: Most useful feature is revisiting the previous courses and going through the material that was covered in those courses. Typically, in other similar software, this is disabled after a certain period of time but Canvas keeps this feature open. The product is definitely easy to use as apart from showing the current courses, it also displays the upcoming deadlines and announcements that comes in very handy as soon as a user logs into the system and navigates to the home screen

Cons: The worst thing about this product in a lack of search functionality. Manually going through the complete list of options/courses/documents or whatever is present in the Canvas to find one required element is time-intensive process. A search feature would have been really useful in quickly searching what we are looking for.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2020
Sam S.
Associate Professor
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2020

"My favorite course management software"

Comments: Overall I'm happy with Canvas. My students use Moodle in most of their other classes, but I'm still holding out... I just think it's a superior product.

Pros: My institution uses Moodle, which I have found to be extremely cumbersome. So a few years ago, I switched to the free-for-teachers version of Canvas, and have never looked back. My favorite specific feature of Canvas is the Speed-grader, which changed my life when I switched from Moodle. I also like the way the online quizzes work. More generally what I like about Canvas is the unified design. Where as open-source course management software feels like a hodgepodge of different options and designs Frankensteined together, Canvas feels like there is a design team actually thinking through the way it should look and operate. I appreciate the flexibility it gives me with regard to the layout of the home page, how I can control what the students see, etc. Also, over the six years that I have used Canvas, I've seen features get improved in response to user suggestions. Always a good thing.

Cons: Like all course management software, there are times when I feel that too much clicking is involved to accomplish basic tasks, or little things that should be possible are not. For example, when making rubrics for assignments, there is no way to shuffle the order of the categories. If you want to add a new line in the rubric between lines 2 and 3, you'd have to delete all the lines after 2 and start over from there. Little things like that, which aren't a huge deal, but sometimes do leave me scratching my head. Also I wish the question banks for quizzes were a little easier to manage.

• Reviewed on 28/02/2020
Masters Student
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/01/2019

"College course management program for students, faculty, and staff"

Pros: After my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted. Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.

Cons: The notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident. Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.

• Reviewed on 2/01/2019
Amirsalar M.
Research Assistant
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2019

"the best class management tool for academic institutions"

Comments: I use Canvas for making announcements to notify students about anything going on in class, making assignments, and putting their grades on it.

Pros: In my opinion, Canvas' gradebook tab is the best feature of it when it's combined with a grading scheme for the class. When you make a grading scheme, you can assign letter grades for grade ranges defined by your syllabus. Then, when you go back to the gradebook tab, it automatically assigns letter grades to each student! Hence, you would no longer need to all the work yourself manually! Also, Canvas is great for group assignments as well. you can form groups or permit students to form groups and submit their assignments. File type restriction for uploading assignments is another feature that comes handy to me because I need the students to send all their assignments in a specific format (in my case .dwg) and it will prevent them from uploading any other file type!

Cons: Canvas has almost every useful feature for teacher-student interactions. I think adding a restriction ability for the "number of files" a student can upload for each assignment can be beneficial. So, the teacher would not need to download multiple files per student.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2019
Certified Clinical Research Coordinator
Hospital & Health Care
  • Reviewed on 30/05/2018

"Pricey, but worth every penny"

Pros: Our program has been using Canvas for about 10 years now and we are very happy with this software program. Specifically, the SpeedGrader functionality is superb. You can easily view and grade papers with your rubrics embedded into the grading system. The Collaborations feature is also quite robust and allows students to work on a project together via a group editing program (like Google Docs) and submit directly to Canvas. They've really done a good job partnering with other programs to allow communication between software (for example, students can easily submit their papers to Canvas with an embedded plagiarism checking program without having to use each software package independently).

Cons: One negative about the program is that, while you can assign students to groups to complete group projects, you still have to grade them all individually. There isn't (yet) a feature to assign identical grades to all students in the group. As with any program, there are extra features and functions that would be useful, but overall, we're very pleased. The price is steep compared to other course management software, but we find the time savings to be worth the additional cost.

• Reviewed on 30/05/2018
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Goodbye Connect; Hello Canvas!"

Comments: It's more than a pretty facelift. Canvas is the real deal when it comes to next-gen educational platforms. Its graphical UI is stable stakes now and the feature set is only going to get better. So get on board and get your students using the best software available.

Pros: I remember using Blackboard nearly 16 years ago and later Connect. I was weary when they said they would be upgrading to Canvas since it was a totally new architecture. But I'm a believer now. I use the Canvas platform everyday to organize classes and check grades. It's been a lifesaver. One feature I feel goes unnoticed by many is the mobile app for Canvas. It is fast and easy to use. I even avoid the desktop browser and use the mobile app as my daily driver.

Cons: The new UI and graphical interface was a little hard to get used to. I was accustomed to the feature packed and dense text screens of Connect but I understand Canvas's design direction. Keep it simple and useful. I realize I didn't use every single feature in Connect but I do miss it when that odd case arises when Canvas doesn't have a text editing or image insertion feature in its message boards, for example. I also hope for better Piazza and WebWork integration.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Russell T.
Supervisor
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2019

"Canvas is the Reason I Graduated University"

Pros: During my years at University I used Canvas everyday. It was such a great new tool when I first started and it grew into the best software for school I have ever used. I think that without Canvas my school work would have been harder to do. Canvas was perfect for completing assignments and taking quizzes. Being able to visit previous assignments and get better feedback from professors really enhanced my ability to grasp whatever subject I was studying at the time. I was hesitant at first when my University introduced the idea, but as I got use to how it worked and how the professors utilized the technology I can now safely say Canvas made a very positive impact on my time at school.

Cons: I think that Canvas had a few problems in its earlier years, but they really improved. I think that it is important for a software company to recognize that they can keep improving. I do think that the chat function was a bit lack luster. I don't think any students used and we all primarily used google chat/hangout. Maybe Canvas could team up with Google and implement Hangouts into the platform.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2019
Social Media Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2019

"Great for Busy Students"

Comments: Overall, I love Canvas. It makes my hectic life as a college student a bit easier every day. The fact that I can get notifications and reminders ensures that no assignments or quizzes are slipping my mind, and the ability to communicate with professors and fellow peers alike has been very helpful.

Pros: I love Canvas for multiple reasons. Firstly, I love how clean, simple, and easy to navigate this software is, whether it be on mobile or desktop. I also love how there are features such as a "To-Do" column and a "Dashboard" to use as a main hub. I use the Calendar tab every single day to reference assignments that I need to do, and how to plan for upcoming assignments! I also love that in the Calendar, students are able to add additional events and assignments professors may have mentioned in class or in an Announcement.

Cons: While software bugs are rare, I have still experienced a few in the past three years I have used Canvas. These bugs always seem to happen at very untimely moments, such as during submission of a large assignment or paper or failure to connect to another software that should work in conjuction with Canvas. However, Canvas is pretty timely in fixing these bugs.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2019
Quinlan K.
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2021

"Canvas Review"

Comments: Overall I have has a very positive experience with the software canvas. I have found the ease of use to be my favorite aspect, as well as the organization of the website is great to help me stay on track and keep tabs on upcoming assignments. The software is great and a good tool for students in college or high school.

Pros: The canvas software is a really good well made education tool. I am currently in college and use canvas currently in school, and the software is great for ease of use as well as navigation. I have used some other software's such as blackboard and google classroom, however I felt like canvas was the easiest to navigate. The software allows you to browse the different parts of each course, and is really good for students to be able to keep there studies on track. The calendar also allows students to stay on top of upcoming assignments and stay well organized.

Cons: The software is really well done and very convenient. One flaw I found was it was not the best for classroom connection with the professors and other students. Each student gets a canvas email which can be confusing and not great to help streamline connection between students and their teachers.

• Reviewed on 29/01/2021
Program Development Administrator
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2019

"Organized and easy to use"

Comments: Generally, I've found it a great one and done spot to organize my materials and communicate with my students.

Pros: I enjoy using Canvas to organize my course syllabus, assignments, and discussion boards. It is pretty easy to use, intuitive, and organized. Their customer service is extremely helpful and responsive helping to problem solve whatever my needs have been.

Cons: There are certain features I would have liked changed. I have my students do a weekly journal response and there is no feature that enables them to be graded per response - I have to assign a point allotment as a whole and then personally track each individual entry.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Eric G.
Classroom Teacher
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/02/2021

"CANVAS: The Learning Curve for this Learning Platform is Steep."

Comments: I was introduced to CANVAS when Covid 19 hit and I was asked to teach from home. I had been using Google Classroom, which I really liked, but the School District mandated that we use Canvas. The process for learning was frustrating and time consuming. I would say that now I am used to Canvas and I will continue using it. However, it was definitely very difficult to learn the ropes with this one.

Pros: I like how once you create a template for your classes, it is easy to repeat and reuse this for future classes. I also like how all course documents are easy to link and integrate to your home pages.

Cons: The learning curve on this platform is very steep. Learning how to use the features is definitely NOT intuitive. There will be many hours spent watching videos, doing internet searches, and feeling frustrated.

• Reviewed on 4/02/2021
Mikael M.
Dental Health Specialist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2020

"Important Software for College and Grad students."

Comments: I used canvass daily through my time at university. I think it is a very important software to have for college students. Overall, I had a good experience using Canvas and appreciated all that it had to offer to help students stay on top of their work.

Pros: I was obsessed with my grades all through college. I appreciated that I could lookup my grades constantly, and even type in fake "future grades" to see what I needed to get on an exam to keep my A's. I liked to look ahead and keep track of my assignments, always staying on top of them.

Cons: Canvas was hard to use on my phone, and much easier on a laptop. So I would encourage making it more mobile phone user friendly. Occasionally, calendar items (due dates and test days) would not show up on the calendar portion on Canvas. I ended up going through each course module and writing in a physical calendar all of the due dates for things because i found I couldnt trust the one on the canvas app.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2020
Jeff M.
Director of Technology
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2019

"Canvas - A great LMS"

Comments: We needed to give our teachers a place to store their instructional contentas well as grades for classes. Canvas works perfectly for that.

Pros: Ease of use for teachers! Our teachers, even the least techy, picked up how to use Canvas with very little training.

Cons: It would be nice if settings could be on a location basis. Some of the set up is a little difficult.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2019
Business, Technology and Multimedia Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2019

"Canvas for Digital Literacy"

Comments: Canvas has been a blessing for technology teachers who cannot rely on textbooks and are forever creating their own curriculum from scratch. Canvas allows one to teach without necessarily inventing the wheel.

Pros: Canvas has a direct link to Creative Commons and this allows teachers to share learning and instruction. Canvas will permit unlimited memory for uploading instructional Videos. Students can do peer reviews and teachers can share student portfolios and rubrics for student feedback. You can also record your feedback using the speed grader.

Cons: Students have a tendency to look at their grades using the school's grading software and make note of Missing assignments. The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of consistency with the school grading software such as Gradebook or Aspire, and Canvas itself. Missing and Excused grades have no equivalency in Canvas and due to international standards I assume never will.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2019
Randall L.
Software Engineering Intern
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Canvas can work, if it's used properly."

Comments: Canvas solves the problem of an on-site learning management system that may not have a nice user interface, as well as providing the LMS as a Service by having it hosted off-site, exempting it from campus reliability problems.

Pros: Canvas provides students a "one stop shop" to review their grades, turn in assignments, take quizzes and tests. Canvas also exports a calendar complete with due dates for use with other calendar software (think outlook) should one wish for that.

Cons: First, the school must sign up for the platform. Second, It is up to the instructor/professor/teacher to utilize the platform to allow students to gain the most benefits. Some instructors at my university refuse to use the platform, segmenting where information about assignments, tests, and other information can be found. Some only put assignments up on the platform, without any other notices about tests or other in class activities.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Rebecca C.
Marketing Coordinator
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2019

"Canva is the Facebook for Schools!"

Comments: This software really helped with creating virtual dialogue and inclusivity, which is important in a university setting.

Pros: I like that everything is centralized and that students can directly submit assignments and exams over this as opposed to email. The confirmation that you get from the program puts your mind at ease. In addition, professors receive hundreds of emails so having a program where all of the assignments are in one place is more organized. The interface was relatively simple and easy to navigate, especially since a lot of the functionalities are similar to other popular social media platforms (eg. group chats, commenting on posts and forum discussions).

Cons: The mobile app version of this program is not as stable as the desktop version. Personally, I was also a little concerned with privacy as I had to put my real name on the platform.

• Reviewed on 28/12/2019
Julie H.
High school teacher/student
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/02/2020

"Keep up with Canvas"

Comments: Most professors assign everything on Canvas. You can write journal entries within the platform, so you don't have to write and then reformat to turn stuff in. Larger pieces of work are easy enough to manage. My most recent professor prefers pdf files, so it's super easy to convert and submit. I also look at the syllabus regularly on Canvas, along with some short readings we are assigned. It's easy.

Pros: My school switched to Canvas from another platform. Canvas is much easier to navigate, and it seems like most professors prefer Canvas.

Cons: Canvas is a piece of cake to use, as long as the professor knows how to use it. A couple of my instructors have neglected to really learn Canvas, but that is true with any platform, I'm sure.

• Reviewed on 23/02/2020
Christopher C.
Marketing Manager
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Great Student Experience Drives Positive Student Outcomes"

Comments: A more intuitive and user friendly LMS drives positive outcomes for students and teachers alike.

Pros: A vast improvement to our previous educational software, Blackboard, Canvas provides an understandable and intuitive user interface to navigate the often confusing world of online education. The phone-app consistently works and seamlessly integrates with our SAML, making it easy to access assignments right from our phone.

Cons: At no fault to the software itself, like any great tool it depends on the skill and effort of those who wield it: in this case, the teachers themselves. At its heart, Canvas is a cloud-based file organization or content management system; you're either organized or your not. Proper labels, intuition on what topics deserve their own page or simply a section on pre-existing page go a long way in lessening the cognitive load of the students, and thus driving better educational outcomes.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Assistant Director of School, College, and Program Marketing at Endicott College
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/12/2019

"Canvas!"

Comments: Great! So easy to use and delivers a great experience to the student!

Pros: Canvas is a great way to hold classes and trainings. Easy to use, very easy to customize and set up how you would like. Customer Support is the best!

Cons: It takes some getting used to, as easy as it is to customize it can seem a little backward as there are multiple ways to edit.

• Reviewed on 9/12/2019
Josemaria G.
Vice Director for External Affairs
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2018

"Digital Transformation for Education"

Comments: We did university-wide implementation of Canvas Q3 of 2017. As expected, it was met with a lot of resistance from faculty (esp the older ones). But as we got along assisting them and providing trainings, a great majority has been using it as their daily driver for their classes (attendance, submissions, announcements, etc.). The mobile app (iOS and Android) helps a lot with the adoption from the students.

Pros: One stop shop for the teachers and students for checking attendance, uploading the curriculum, lecture materials, announcements, quizzes, feedback, etc. There is also an accompanying app (iOS and Android) for easy access anywhere, and for keeping up-to-date via notifications (e.g., no classes, upcoming exams). Data analytics is also a primary goal. Now we have data as reference on faculty and student performance.

Cons: Took us a lot of effort to get the faculty on board (esp. the older ones). The platform is not really that customizable, although a change request may be forwarded to the vendor (to match previously existing similar app we used).

• Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Britnee G.
Customer Service Representative
Construction, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/04/2019

"Great tool for Students and College Instructors"

Pros: I've been using this software for a few years now and it has made tremendous difference in the success I've had in my courses. The Instructor is able to upload all the files we need for the course along with assignments and grades. You also have the option of seeing what your grade could be if you get certain scores on your assignments based on the percentage of the categories. I love how you can correspond with the teacher as well as other students. You can contact your classmates with out having to get their phone numbers.

Cons: Even though you are notified when the Instructor grades assignments, its hard to see if you have a deadline approaching for a particular assignment. You get notified within the app but a reminder popping up on your phone would be much better.

• Reviewed on 11/04/2019
Software Engineer
Internet, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2021

"Offers me everything I need as a student"

Comments: Canvas has supported my education throughout college. I have used other education portals in the past, but none have done the job as well and as pleasantly as Canvas.

Pros: Canvas works great as a portal for all my school resources. I love that I can see a course schedule, open assignments, view slides, ask questions, and download notes all in one portal instead of across multiple websites (such as Piazza, etc.). It feels very well thought out.

Cons: I think there are some features and UI improvements that can be made. I feel Canvas's QA system could use more features to encourage student engagement (such as instructors giving *endorsed answerer* titles to students, statistics, etc.). I also feel Canvas should make it easier to import the Canvas calendar into Google Calendar. Ideally, it could be a one-click process.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2021
Elena D.
E-Learning, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2020

"As a Student - I love it"

Comments: Overall, I think Canvas has outperformed the previous online platform schools used (Blackboard). It has been hassle free experience so far!

Pros: I really like Canvas' app. It is very easy to use and navigate and gives me access to my classes at any point and time. During the craziness of the COVID-19 pandemic Canvas has been an excellent medium for communication with all professors and classmates. It is very straight forward and effective when it comes to navigating exams, assignments etc.

Cons: I guess what I don't like depend on the professor and how they set it up. I wish they had like an uniform way of setting the grade calculation, for example. With each professor this tab looks different. I assume it is nice to have flexibility, but it makes it confusing on the student's end sometimes.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2020