• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.4 /5

About PagerDuty

Cloud software that connects people, systems & data into a single view for visibility and actionable intelligence across operations.

Learn more about PagerDuty

Engineering Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2021

"Achieving zero downtime and 24X7 oncall made easier"

Comments: Overall experience has been very seamless. Very easy to setup and use. But a little on the expensive side.

Pros: - Easy Integrations
- Simple User Interface, very easy to navigate
- Lots of features and functionalities
- Very easy to setup
- Schedule creation and setting up rotation

Cons: Pagerduty is definitely the leader in this space, but it is fairly expensive and hence we have started looking at other options.

• Reviewed on 18/03/2021
M. serhat D.
Senior Software Engineer
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/04/2020

"On-call software with rich features"

Comments: I have been using PagerDuty for 1 year now, and I'm with the product so far. The only negative thing about the PagerDuty is the big latency during the incidents.

Pros: PagerDuty does the job. It's gonna wake you up in the middle of the night, no matter what. The number of ways they are providing for acknowledging an incident is great. You can get a call, an SMS message, a push notification on the browser, or a mobile notification for an incident.

Cons: PagerDuty has some latency when it comes to acknowledging incidents. After acknowledging an incident by using the mobile app, getting an additional phone call about the incident is a little bit annoying.

• Reviewed on 2/04/2020
Derek O.
Incident, Problem and Service Level Manager
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2019

"Great solution for on-call and incident management for any organisation!"

Comments: We have implemented PagerDuty across our SRE and Support organizations and are beginning to roll it out to our engineering teams. This is providing us rapid Incident response and rapid engagement of teams to assist during incidents, no matter what time of day it is or where the teams are geographically located.

Pros: PagerDuty very easy to configure and use, I've given access to team leads with no instructions and they've been up and running that day.

Cons: It'd be great if PagerDuty could integrate with all versions of Jira natively without a 3rd party plugin.

• Reviewed on 22/11/2019
Vice President Of Technology
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/12/2019

"PagerDuty make it feel more like a pleasure than a Duty"

Comments: Surprisingly easy to setup rotating schedules, schedule maintenance window exceptions, and have alerts triggered from many sources including email. No one on call can say they didn't hear their phone anymore.. you will be phones, emailed and SMS messaged.. and it will loop until you (or someone else on rotation) knowledges the issue.

Pros: Easy to setup.
Trigger alerts via emails.
Good interface.
Integrates easily with MS Teams.
Rotating schedules for multiple team members.
Easy to make schedule exceptions.
Easy to acknowledge alerts via email, phone, app or SMS.

Cons: I can't really think of any Cons.
I really enjoyed getting this setup and benefiting from the easy alerts.

• Reviewed on 3/12/2019
Monish K.
senior software engineer
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2020

"Ensure High availability of your product to the end user by integrating it with PagerDuty"

Comments: PagerDuty helped our product to become highly stable and it ensured high availability to the end user, overall had a great experience with it.

Pros: PagerDuty is used to send alert notifications to developer,
We can use it in a way that when ever failure occurs notify the developer who is scheduled to be on-call,
Even a customer escalation to a email can trigger a pagerDuty notification alert, when the receiver email ID is subscribed with PagerDuty,
PagerDuty has escalation policies , in which multiple users can be in different level, if level 1 failed to resolve the issue, the level 2 dev gets a alert etc ..
and the dev's can be scheduled to rotate there levels in fixed time intervals, like weekly bases,
It Dose a good job of maintaining the issue states & the alerted issue has different lifecycle such as triggered, acknowledged , resolved, snoozed, It maintains analytical dashboards on dev's which shows the responsiveness of the developer , like how many issues they have resolved and what is the average resolution time or have they escalated it etc .. it maintains history of alerts, it has good customer support,
the resolution note's can also be added against the alert,
We can configure the alerts as Low and High Urgency , based on which we can have different type of notifications, types of notifications are phone call, message, email, push notification in pd app etc ... pagerDuty deduplicates the alerts with same message, if a incident is in open state and if same incident occurs again and again , it will not be raised.

Cons: Sometimes when i resolve the alert on web, i still get a call on phone, If the incident was resigned by the developer to a other user who is not in the escalation policy and if he did not answer the alert the escalation chain stops, instead it should be thrown back to older escalation policy from ware it begun

• Reviewed on 27/04/2020
Raheel L.
Network Engineer
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"PagerDuty review"

Pros: Good customer support, documentation and API

Cons: Lack of filtering/search options. Not possible to search for specific alerts without the use of the API. It's a pain. No audit logs to see who made changes and what the changes are. Lack of features in the PagerDuty slack plug-in as compared to other alternatives such as OpsGenie

Ross D.
Senior Software Engineer
Consumer Services, 501-1,000 Employees

"Hello from an SRE"

Comments: PagerDuty is a service which allows my job to wake me up at 3am to be sad about malfunctioning computers. This means that PagerDuty is both something I rely on and low-key resent. It does its job well, and I yearn for the day when our stack is robust enough that I never have to remember PD exists ever again. ;-P

Pros: PagerDuty lets us centralize our notifications, with a good and reliable degree of user control over how pages are delivered. It integrates well with a vast panoply of other services. PD is reliable on iOS, Android, and via SMS and phone.

Cons: Managing calendars via the web UI is phenomenally hard, especially for modeling rotations of any complexity. For instance: we do a primary/secondary incident command rotation, in which the secondary handles day-time on-call and the primary handles off-hours. Currently, this requires us to model four different escalation policies, which would be horribly complex to manage *without* having teams in three time zones, which we do. We also suffer during outages for the lack of a "acknowledge all incoming pages" button. As an incident commander, when I'm trying to manage comms around incidents and system failures, having to *also* manage a pager going off every sixty seconds is, at best, horrendous. We badly need a "current status, open incident" that auto-acks whatever comes in and, say, converts them to summary push-notifications or some other "just an FYI, this other stuff happened" digest.

Brian J.
Scrum Master
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2019

"It is hard to beat PagerDuty for the functionality and itegration into alerting systems"

Comments: On-call rotations are managed through PagerDuty and it allows each functional area to build their own escalation procedures. We are exploring the newly added teams and business process functionality of the software to improve collaborative efforts between teams.

Pros: Lots of Integrations with other tools and ways to integrate even without commercial integrations, with RESTful interfaces and email integrations.

Cons: Working with the software renewal and licensing aspects of the software has been challenging. There were some legal snafu's that made getting the agreement signed quite a chore.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2019
Systems Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/10/2018

"Simple, but powerful..."

Comments: Our experience has been good, but it all depends on your implementation. If you don't plan your implementation and set your rules properly, you're going to have a bad time. Read through the implementation guides and best practices before you pull the trigger on making this product live.

Pros: PagerDuty makes it so easy to set up your paging rules and schedules as well as integrate it with your monitoring solution. We use it with What's Up Gold and it does a wonderful job of making sure that the right people are informed of an outage.

Cons: Sometimes if there are multiple alerts in a short amount of time, you can get overwhelmed with notifications and phone calls. I've been in the situation before where when being paged multiple times at once, I couldn't actually acknowledge the pages because my phone kept getting called over and over again for different alerts.

• Reviewed on 5/10/2018
Sahil S.
Lead Software Engineer
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2019

"One of those products that solves one key problem really well"

Pros: Reliable. We rely on Pager Duty to keep our downtime to a minimum and we've never had complaints with it and PagerDuty itself always seems to up and alerting us in a timely manner. The alert channels are highly customizable and there are enough options to suit anyone's communication style. On top of this, they keep innovating without disrupting the core functionality.

Cons: I would like to see more breakdowns and slices in metrics and charts by service, alert type, alert source, etc.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2019
Trevor L.
Software Engineer
Media Production, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/11/2019

"PagerDuty keeps my team on point"

Comments: PagerDuty has been instrumental in notifying my team when problems arise.

Pros: Integration with monitoring software is extremely powerful. My team integrates PagerDuty into Slack which increases the visibility for the times other team members are not on call. The ability to auto-resolve issues on PagerDuty when the monitors become healthy increases my productivity (especially when I want to go back to sleep, haha!).

Cons: PagerDuty cannot penetrate do not disturb mode on my iPhone. This means I have to turn off other notifications on my phone when I sleep. A minor annoyance for an otherwise great product.

Yotam A.
Algorithms engineer
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Review about PagerDuty, from a user standpoint"

Comments: Over all as I said it does the job. Minor UI improvements will help to make it more convenient.

Pros: First of all, PD does the job. It means that my company can customize it as they wish, and I get alerts efficiently using email, SMS and phone calls (and the app). The alerts are effective and the needed information is found inside the incident body. It is not trivial to have a system that works in large scale as it does in Taboola.

Cons: There are some end-user UI issues I would like to raise:
1. It is too easy for me to see others' incidents. I do not want to see it - it's confusing. Once I actually closed an incident of another person, mistakenly. Yes it was my mistake and perhaps my IT department's configuration mistake, but the UI shows me these incidents. I am only interested in mine.
2. In "alerts" I see many alerts which are not mine! again you are loading me with details not relevant for me.
3. In "indicents" in the website, I put on "any status" but I don't see closed incidents.
4. The smartphone app is great, very focused to what I need. Why not add the option to add a calendar entry for PD on-call shifts?

Barnaby K.
Lead Software Engineer
Gambling & Casinos, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2019

"Does What It Says On The Tin, And Very Well"

Comments: We use PagerDuty for our on call rota. It was my first experience of such software and I would recommend it to others for its list of features and general ease of use.

Pros: Schedules and rotas are easy to set up and administer. Call outs are easy to receive and acknowledge. The app makes it easy to respond to an incident.

Cons: The app is a little limited. If a user gets a lot of callouts (e.g. multiple services go down) then I don't know of a "select all" option to ACK. Also I believe that users must go into the web version to administer rotas etc...

Andre C.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/11/2019

"PagerDuty is peace of mind for our business"

Comments: We monitor all our servers and services to make sure we provide uniterrupted 24x7 access to customers. If something goes wrong, our team is immediately alerted and takes action to resolve the issue. Simply works and we are very satisfied.

Pros: Once monitoring is set up, PagerDuty is peace of mind that our systems are up and running. Something goes wrong, we are alerted right away to take action. The app is what we use the most, specially off hours.

Cons: I don't know any conns to be honest. We use it for years and it simply works.

Nizam S.
Information Technology & Services
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 1/05/2015

"Want to receive less complaints from management about response time?"

Comments: Need a pay rise? Get PagerDuty! OK, subscribing to PagerDuty does not guarantee you a pay rise, but it will definitely lessen the number of complaints from your bosses in regards to the response time to server downtime. However, this may lead to a neat pay rise when your bosses realized that you are getting more efficient in resolving the downtime. Not only will PagerDuty alert you of server downtime, but it will literally alert you of any incidents that you may or have encountered (e.g email from clients, email from data centers, servers reaching a certain threshold, etc). Another feature that it has is that it can integrate with most of the tech sites out there (AWS, HipChat, Pingdom, etc). For Pingdom, instead of having Pingdom alerting us for every downtime, we just integrate it with PagerDuty. PagerDuty IS our focal point of alert for all our monitoring systems. With the scheduling feature, your team will be able to monitor the servers' health 365/24/7. With PagerDuty, our response time had improved tremendously and this leads to a decrease in potential revenue loss. We had tried its competitors out there (shan't name them), but nothing come close to PagerDuty. The only drawback is its pricing. However, the quality and service (and don't forget the potential thousands that it can save you) provided by PagerDuty is second to none. Highly recommended for businesses that depends on 24/7 servers uptime and definitely for business that provides 24/7 support.

Pros: 1) Alerts for all kinds of incidents
2) Integration with most of the common and popular monitoring and tech sites
3) Easy-to-use scheduler

Cons: Pricing (its value over cost depends on the potential revenue loss for your business)

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 1/05/2015
Patrick H.
DBA
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Pager Duty - the best thing to ruin your day"

Comments: We have a 24/7 business model requiring some members of some teams to be available at all hours.
With Pager Duty we can setup schedules which leverage the hardware our team is most comfortable using

Pros: Pager duty is easy to use and setup. Managing multiple schedules is charmingly easy.
Receiving and responding to pages is simple, with a mobile interface that you can still use through bleary-eyed 3am wake ups.

Cons: It can be a little cumbersome to get multiple-schedule rotations in sync

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Abhishek S.
Member of technical staf
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2019

"PagerDuty to the Rescue"

Comments: Really good, anywhere I go I would recommend PagerDuty .

Pros: The intuitive user interface along with the supported apps on all other platforms really help in keeping track of events. Moreover PagerDuty has never been down which really speaks a lot about the effort that goes in to making this amazing piece of software

Cons: I cannot subscribe to a specific type of pager, or pagers which should get escalated to only me instead of the on-call person.

Filip T.
Software Engineer
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2018

"Making sure you're up in the middle of the night"

Pros: While not super easy to setup, it's generally a one time things. Once you've configured PagerDuty you're free to explore all the integrations available. We use it connected to our AWS monitoring, DataDog, Rollbar and bunch of custom integrations. PagerDuty also helped us reduce to amount of alerts - it's easy to go to far, and being woken up in the middle of the night for something completely irrelevant helps you make better decisions about platform monitoring.

Cons: Not all the escalation rules are clear. Editing schedules could be easier - if you do that on a one-off basis it's usually by trial and error.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Scott K.
CTO
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2019

"Integration w/ Calendars etc"

Pros: Works consistently, never had an outage, straightforward to setup

Cons: No integration with common HR software or calendar software to automatically synchronize vacation with schedules. Would be a huge value-add if it could automatically adjust on-call schedules or provide alerts if someone schedules vacation when they are supposed to be on-call.

Andrew D.
Director I.T. Operations
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"A great ticket tracking and alerting tool"

Pros: PagerDuty is easy to use and, more importantly, essential for effective tracking of alerts, errors and notifications. With great support for mobile devices, PagerDuty lets me track and manage issues and information wherever I go.

Cons: As the rule engine evolves there are few things that cannot be handled without writing code at our end.

Victoria C.
CTSS (Client Tech Support Specialist)
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2018

"Tool used for notifications of Priority 1 tickets for our Hosting team."

Comments: Knowing that you will get notified if a High priority ticket gets in the queue (without having to pick at your phone every time you get a work email like it used to be before PagerDuty).

Pros: You can login and see the schedule for all the teams involved in the on call process. It is nice to be able to find out not only about the current week, but the future on call times as well.

Cons: The reminders when your on call turn ends. I see the need for the reminder when starts, but I don't really see the point of the reminder when it ends.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2018
David S.
Senior Consultant
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2019

"PagerDuty Review"

Comments: Great product, easy to use and configure.

Pros: Performs exactly as advertised. Interface with other tools is easy to configure.

Cons: Scheduling over multiple time zones. This appeared counter-intuitive, but once you understood the way it was setup - could make it work.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2019
Cheryl (cheri) K.
Technical Support and Network Admin
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/11/2019

"Set it and forget it"

Comments: Over all, it is easy and reliable.

Pros: It was fairly easy to set up and once it is, you almost never have to change it.

Cons: Sometimes, the pages that come in are not the usual ones and you have to add the number to the "Not spam" list or add it to the contact info on the cell phone

• Reviewed on 6/11/2019
Osama A.
SRE
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"Overall awesome!"

Comments: Critical for operation, using it daily!

Pros: - Easy to use
- Reliable!
- Runs on all devices!

Cons: - Overriding schedules is confusing!
- Need to search my team eevrytimne! can show default team at the top for each of access!

Fabio S.
Front End Developer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

"An essential tool for"

Comments: I've been using it for a long period and I really like it. It does its main job really well.

Pros: - Configurable Alert escalation rules
- Phone App

Cons: - The search for escalation policies or incidents could be more user-friendly