• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.1 /5

About M-Files

Powerful content management software that enables you to easily organize and manage all of your documents and information.

Learn more about M-Files

David G.
IT Project Manager
Investment Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2019

"One Place for All Document Types"

Comments: M-files was a great tool to create one common space for us to store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. Workflow are next, but we're still securing more funding given the new pricing model.

Pros: Our office being limited with space has decided to keep tidy and lean by going digital. We tried M-files because it has good reviews, good recommendations from industry partners, and it has been receiving awards as well. So far, so good. After manual scanning, we upload our files into the M-files vault and everything is securely stored and easily accessible in one place. Searching for the file you need is easy because M-Files makes searching via metadata, and also not by location logic, but by what the document you're looking for is. Workflows is another reason we took M-Files in. We played around with it and it really is easy to create workflows via the graphical logic setup screen. Even the non-technical staff understands how the design works because it is pretty intuitive and straight-forward.

Cons: M-Files has changed its delivery and pricing model. We have a perpetual license for 2018, but it turns out we need to upgrade into the subscription model for M-Files 2019 in order to continue receiving the updates, upgrades, and customer support. Since we have not yet upgraded, we are put on hold in terms of implementing our digital workflows. Now we're just waiting for the next budget season and release to upgrade.

by M-Files on 1/05/2019

Hi David,
Thank you for sharing about your experiences using M-Files with others on Capterra. It is rewarding to hear that M-Files has helped your business with its digital transformation and that you are realizing improvements in the way that your staff store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online.

I am confident that when you are ready to upgrade to M-Files Online that your company will see the value in having immediate access to product improvements and new capabilities.

Please feel free to reach out or visit our customer portal should you have any questions or if we can be of assistance to you.

• Reviewed on 30/04/2019
Sarah V.
Records Administrator
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/03/2017

"Wish we had M-files sooner!"

Comments: I've been working with M-files for 2 years now and I can't imagine my professional life without it. I am the Records Administrator for my organization and therefore my concern lies in retaining record history and valuable documents. Of course this is facilitated through comprehensive database searches. I have appreciated the ease of use in the M-files interface and the various features that we now have for documents that simply were not present in traditional folder structures. I've trained close to 100 colleagues on this software with great success. M-files does an exceptional job of allowing everyone to work in a way that is natural and comfortable to them, while simultaneously allowing everyone to collaborate, work together, and find each other's documents.

Pros: -ease of searching
-customize features
-document version ability
-youtube videos

Cons: -the biggest delay in rolling out M-files to our organization was that there was no model in which to consult. No prescribed list of document types or a model to play with.
-From a records point of view, document retention should be built in somehow. We create thousands of documents daily and while some are permanent retention, most are transitory and should have a review process. I've been left to conduct record audits and manually determine record value based on a number of factors of the documents.

• Reviewed on 8/03/2017
Sherry B.
Administrative Director
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2017

"Next Generation Business Management"

Comments: This product is a game-changer. Not only is your data retained better, it is retrieved quicker, work time is reduced exponentially, security is granular and well-protected, and analysis possibilities are endless! It is totally beyond me why anyone would use anything else to operate their business. SharePoint is nice for website management, but it costs you way too much as a tool to manage your business. Drop it now like a hot potato and get M-Files. It will save your company a ton of money in the long run.

Pros: Retrieval of documents, and analysis opportunities.

Cons: It takes some adjustment to move from a linear filing sensibility to a meta-data driven system. I still think linear. But I am getting over it!

• Reviewed on 21/04/2017
Di P.
Managing Director

"Ajendico Pty Ltd"

Comments: Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros: I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons: If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

Becky R.
Hospitality
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2017

"A different way of thinking..."

Comments: M-files was certainly a foreign way of thinking about our file management. However, once adopted it has transformed how our company thinks about WHAT is being saved and moved from place to place.

Pros: It's approachable and it works as an Add-In with other Microsoft products.

Cons: It is a little expensive for small businesses. It has so many features that we are not using because we don't have a designated IT person on staff to help to understand them all and put them into practice.

David K.
Software Developer
Semiconductors, 51-200 Employees

"Modern & Flexible CMS"

Comments: This product brings managing & accessing your company documents into the 21st century. The ability to access all your documents from in our out of the office on any internet connected device is a game changer. No more needing to share files via dropbox or OneDrive. This product can do it all either with built-in functionality or via their API's.

Pros: Ease of having access to all of your documents

Cons: I wish that there was some built-in functionality for doing validation for workflows.

by M-Files on 25/04/2017

We are sorry to hear about your issues with the Chrome Plug-in and will reach out to you directly to address this issue.

Ilker Y.
ENGINEER
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"New Trend to send the files."

Comments: You need to give some education to your users for better understanding.Otherwise ,your users might have difficulty in understanding and your user might have some claims about the program

Pros: You can set a group and send the file to this group who involves this group ,the M-file system sends a remind e-mail if somebody change something in the file system so I can understand when somebody upload a file. This is very good feature.

Cons: File transfer logic is a little bit different and it is not familiar to me because I was used to use easy cloud system such as apple cloud,etc..

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Hello Ilker, thank you for your review of M-Files. We take these very seriously and would also like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you personally. If you are open to a discussion, you can contact me at my information provided.

Matthew G.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"M-Files helped us get our document management under control."

Pros: M-Files is a fantastic software for getting your file server and document management under control. It helps secure our files and teaches employees to be more careful in what they share due to its classification system. It was relatively easy to deploy and setup.

Cons: It can be a tad bit pricey however it does its job well and once it is deployed you can see the value in the cost.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Fernando B.
IT Manager
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees

"Changes everything!"

Comments: M-Files continues to become more valuable for our agency every day. Starting with one department at a time, we've realized many benefits of implementing workflows and classifying documents. The scalability of the software allows for great flexibility. If you can think it, M-Files can do it.

Pros: Scalability, ease of use.

Cons: Can be expensive to implement

Sales Manager
  • Reviewed on 1/05/2019

"One of the best tools for document organization"

Pros: Organizing the documents by tags and searching are made so easy with M Files. It is also possible to create documents with fixed templates via M Files, all connected to CRM softwares.

Cons: It can be difficult to learn in the beginning.

by M-Files on 2/05/2019

Thank you for the positive review of M-Files Intelligent Information Management and for sharing about your experience with Capterra visitors.

Please contact us should you have any questions or visit our Client Portal for the latest information on new features, guides and peer support.

• Reviewed on 1/05/2019
Computer Networking, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2018

"Great Product"

Pros: I support M-Files for a customer and have found it to be very easy to work with (from an IT-perspective). My customer absolutely loves it. I have to admit, it's a slick product and the idea of having 1 place that indexes all of the content you can throw at it, whether you're in the office or mobile, is amazing.

Cons: Really no complaints. I have not had any issue nor has my customer, and they've used it for many years.

by M-Files on 26/09/2018

Thank you for sharing about your of M-Files! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further improve you and your customer's experience with our product.

• Reviewed on 25/09/2018
Senior Product Development Engineer
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"It Helps To Organize Your Documents In An Order But User Interface Should Be Improved."

Comments: It allow to keep your corporate memory in safe. We use it to organize our documents (drawings / 3D models / excel files / video and images etc.). Since we identified file category names manually (during implementation period), there was a chance to customize them. You can easily upload your files to the server and access to them in anywhere that you have an internet access. You can also check your documents by phone. However there is no windows type folder hierarchy. You cannot upload any item with dropping, you should categorize all documents one by one. So uploading all items take lots of time, when you have several items.

Pros: All uploaded documents can be opened by phone in anywhere where you have an internet access. Also customized category definitions help to find documents quickly.

Cons: Windows folder type (drop and upload) strategy can be implemented to user interface to provide more flexibility to users when they need to upload more than one document.

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you find value in the ability to access M-Files outside of your office environment. We would also like an opportunity to discuss your additional experience with you personally. If you are open to a discussion, you can contact me at my information provided.

Davis B.
SQL Developer
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2017

"Great Support! Installation was a breeze."

Comments: Document Managment

Pros: We attempted to use a competitor (Square9) and after months of issue after issue and broken promises we made the switch. MFiles has a great user interface especially for MFiles Admin (setting up document classes and metadata fields) and the web access is seamless.

Cons: It was a little pricey and we don't have it fully implemented but we have already seen operational efficiency go up dramatically in our processing department alone.

• Reviewed on 28/04/2017
Onur U.
Automotive, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/06/2019

"Safe and good document sharing tool"

Pros: Sharing and revising document is very easy. We changed all documentation from database to M-Files and it works quite good.

Cons: Required time for changing page is sometimes too high, it works slow.

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to complete this review of M-Files. We take these very seriously and would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

• Reviewed on 9/06/2019
Rico S.
Business Consultant
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2017

"A lot of happy customers"

Pros: Very easy to use and very fast to find what I search short implementation time. Just great to see happy customers

• Reviewed on 31/08/2017
Translation & Localisation, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2018

"Keeping up with all the files is now easy"

Pros: This software is great! I've been using it for some time now and have had only positive impressions. Loving the version control the most. This is a life saver especially for my line of work where I am having tens of emails daily containing file which are going back and forth for updates and whatnot.

Cons: I haven't found any cons about this software so far and I am glad I haven't.

by M-Files on 25/10/2018

Thank you for sharing about your experience with M-Files! We are so glad to hear that our version control features are helping you to keep track of files in a use case that demands precision and collaboration. I can see how a translation and localization business such yours would benefit greatly from this feature as well as from our workflow capabilities.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2018
Senior Engineer
Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2019

"Daily User"

Pros: I use M-files daily. I love the use of metadata to do intuitive searching.

Cons: I wish it had a few more features. Like the ability to require more than one person to review a document in a single stage of a workflow.

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to complete this review. We are happy to hear that you are finding value in searching for your documents in M-Files. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2019
Hasan Y.
Mechanical engineer
Automotive, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"Not very good memory software"

Pros: It is very easy to send files to another users

Cons: User interface is vey bad. It is very difficult to find required files

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Hello Hasan, thank you for letting us know that you find value with M-Files by easily sending and receiving files from other users. We would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other feedback provided. I have included my contact information, if you would like to speak with me personally. If so, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Gerald Y.
Solutions Architect

"Transformational"

Comments: M-Files has opened the doors to giving easy access to business information for all our staff, from sales to technical.

Pros: Ease of deployment and integration with Windows

• Reviewed on 30/05/2019

"Document Sharing Software"

Pros: Sharing document and its keeping in somewhere are getting more vital between the colleauges. For companies, it is safe and easy to setup. For employees, it is inevitable to use.

Cons: It is not user-friendly. The interface is difficult to understand. The terms which describes the act are unusual.

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Thank you for your review. We would like an opportunity to discuss your M-Files experience with you personally. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

• Reviewed on 30/05/2019
Arjun S.
Data Engineer
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2017

"One cal rely on it completely"

Comments: One can try it

Pros: When a document is printed, all the metadata (approvals) are printed with it. No need to hunt down separate approvals to print out and attach.
Tool can handle single approval types of documents as well as docs requiring pre and post-approval.

Cons: System is difficult to navigate to see all docs without doing advanced searches.
I don't like that I can't get a personal version for my home

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2017
Lenny S.
R&D Engineer
Medical Devices, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2017

"Great on Features ---> Support is lagging"

Comments: So I found M-files to be very feature rich but when I am trying to do anything complex, I have to go to the community forum because support takes too long to reach me back. Manual for complex stuff is somewhat non existent. M-files are great for CAD file management but it needs better tutorials and/or examples.
It seems like it is great deal but the i takes so much time to hunt down the right information through the website/forums.

Pros: Good deal of features for the money.

Cons: Very hard to find relevant information directly from the company. Have to resort to forums for anything complex/tricky.

by M-Files on 25/04/2017

Thank you for you feedback about our documentation and Customer Support. We strive to provide a high level of service when our customers have technical problems, including scripting assistance. Our Customer Support management team will reach out to you directly to further address your comments.

Matthew L.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2017

"the biggest bang for the buck"

Comments: Easy user intuitive interface that allows for dynamic and complex workflow processes. The ease of the install and how fast we were up and using it was amazing. Very little training needed for basic use of the software.

Pros: I like the direct windows integration

Cons: The granular security settings took some getting used to

• Reviewed on 23/06/2019

"Overall software for document sharing"

Comments: Working with M-Files but having difficulties for storing and reaching files. Simultaneous updates are also can not be done which should be improved I think.

Pros: I can reach my files both from inside/outside the company. Files can be shared with different teams in our company separately with access management.

Cons: There are no sub-folders that I can store my files easily. I need to look for all the files that I store in M-files if I don't remember the keywords or file names.

by M-Files on 11/09/2019

Thank you for your review. We take these very seriously and would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2019
Issam M.

"Satisfied Consultant"

Comments: I had the luxury to work with many solutions in the last 20 years, by far, M-Files is one of the easiest and most powerful tools that I used in the Information Management field. There is a fantastic blend between the powerful of software and the ease of deployment and use. More to add is the high user adoption and joy when working every day. It's the right platform to build more and more applications for all verticals in the market. My experience was so great with M-Files QMS.