• Overall
    4.5 /5

About When I Work

The easy way to schedule, track time, attendance, and communicate with workers. Save time. Improve accountability. 14-day free trial.

Learn more about When I Work

Cynthia H.
Hostess
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/02/2021

"When I Work, Works!"

Comments: For what our restaurant needs, which is to get schedules out in a timely manner, track schedule changes and drops or switches, it works just fine.

Pros: When I Work is easy to access and navigate and the extra features allow to you communicate with your group easily enough. It's fairly efficient and easy to use from a User standpoint. Has an app feature, plus you can access from your computer, so I like that flexibility.

Cons: Sometimes the cell app glitches and you can't access the program at all and it takes awhile for the program to realign itself. Could be based on cell access, but this happens quite frequently.

by When I Work on 4/02/2021

Hi Cynthia -

Thanks so much for taking some time to provide a review!

It's awesome to hear that our features help your team work better together, and that having access to all the features you need has been so useful!

If you're running into a consistent issue with the app, we're here to help! Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist!

Thanks again for the review!
Adrianne

• Reviewed on 2/02/2021
Lissa K.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/11/2020

"Great way to manage your team"

Comments: great!

Pros: I like the drop shift features and availability/unavailability features

Cons: For some reason, my team members used to be able to enter their preferred weekly hours through their profile, but that is no longer available from what I can see. Would love to see that back.

by When I Work on 25/11/2020

Hi Lissa,

Cully here with When I Work. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

We are so glad to hear that you have liked the drop shift feature, and the availability feature!

If you have additional feedback on the preferred weekly hours option and how your team used this feature, please let us know! You can submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Cully

• Reviewed on 24/11/2020
Sergeant
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/03/2018

"Great scheduling app with tons of features!"

Comments: Scheduling is EXTREMELY easy! Long gone are the days of paper postings and random email messages. It is VERY nice being able to reference your entire schedule from the moment it is posted, going all the way back to your initial employment. Even those with little to no computer experience can use it fairly easily.

Pros: It is EXTREMELY easy for the end-user to utilize this software. There are also some pretty good mobile applications that it offers which makes tracking your schedule very easy!

Cons: There are a lot of overly-helpful tips and suggestions that constantly spam the administrators' email accounts and scheduling interfaces. (Essentially the company does this to assist the administrators, but there is no way to stop it, which makes it very annoying after awhile). The mobile application can also be buggy at times, and the website schedule does not work properly on mobile phones that don't have a "desktop view", as the website does not have a mobile version designed for it. This forces you to use the mobile app on mobile devices unless your mobile phone can display it in a "desktop view". On a normal computer interface, this works just fine.

by When I Work on 12/03/2018

Hi there!

Thanks for taking the time to review our app. We are glad to hear that When I Work is making scheduling easier for you and your team.

If you are having trouble unsubscribing to our emails, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to help get you unsubscribed on our end.

At this time When I Work is only supported on our web app via computer or or on mobile apps on Android and iOS devices. Our team is prioritizing consistency and parity between our web and mobile apps. I would make sure that you have the most updated version of the mobile app for the latest enhancements we have made.

• Reviewed on 8/03/2018
Pam S.
Store Manager
  • Reviewed on 1/02/2018

"When I Work made scheduling and communicating to all employees a breeze!"

Pros: The ease of the program. It was very user-friendly. Scheduling used to take 2 hours, but it was cut down to 30 minutes with WhenIWork. I love that I could customize the shifts. I especially loved that employees had to acknowledge their shifts. There was no more miscommunication that an employee didn't see their schedule. It's also been a great tool to get staff on the same page. The ability to message everyone at once was awesome. Plus the program tells you which employees have viewed the messages. It also has the option for employees to clock in via the app and you can link it with payroll. Employees are able to submit requests for time-off or vacations. Everything you need is in one place. The customer support team is available immediately through their live chat. They have always been very helpful and friendly. Absolutely a wonderful program!

Cons: The only thing I would modify is to have the ability to block off certain dates for requests. That way an employee wouldn't be able to request off Black Friday for example.

by When I Work on 3/02/2018

Hi there Pam!

Thanks for the great review! We are so happy to hear that you find so much value in When I Work!

In addition, we do have a way to block off days that you don't want your users to request off.

You can create a Schedule Annotation in 'Week View' by clicking the 'Chat Bubble' icon next to the date. You will just need to fill in the details of the annotation and select the box for 'Don't Allow Time Off'.

Here is a guide that walks you through that: http://bit.ly/2nzroHJ

Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] with any questions :)

• Reviewed on 1/02/2018
Deborah K.
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/12/2017

"The software has made the impossible, possible for scheduling employees"

Comments: I think scheduling would not be managed as well without this software.

Pros: I love that employees can indicate when they are available and when they are not available. I love that they can put in requests for time off which helps me not rely on myself for remembering. I love that there are additional features for rate of wage. I like the attendance and I can see if employees are showing up late or getting into overtime. There is a budget feature which I have not used but think would be very helpful in the future.

Cons: I wish that I could have the option of excluding some employees when sending a general email through WIW. I also wish that open shifts were always a different color especially when looking at the schedule by position. This would bring my attention to the open shift and alert me that someone is needed. I wish I could publish an employees schedule out for more than 1 week.

by When I Work on 22/12/2017

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for taking the time to review When I Work. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know When I Work is helping to make your teams¿ and your work lives easier!

When sending custom email messages to your employee's you can select which employees you would like to send the email messages to, by clicking on the "To" field and selecting their names from the list.

There is not a way to automatically change the colors of the OpenShifts. Instead managers would have to manually edit the OpenShifts and change the colors on the Scheduler page.

When it comes to publishing the schedule, you can use the advanced publishing feature to publish the schedule for any desired date range: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/publishing-the-schedule-computer/#advanced-publishing

If you have any questions about When I Work, please check out our help center at https://help.wheniwork.com/ or email our Customer Care team at [email protected]!

• Reviewed on 22/12/2017
Nicola M.
Facilities Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/09/2016

"Does what it is supposed to"

Comments: I loved this product until a setting (that I didn't touch) mysteriously changed itself, causing my subscription to increase significantly. I didn't notice it for 14 months. When I addressed this with When I Work, I was told that their policy is to not provide credits or refunds - in this case even when it seems it was them that had overcharged. I have gone from a very satisfied long-term customer, to one who feels like When I Work is not there for its clients at all. And I am suspicious that others would have their background settings changed as well (I didn't even know what or where it was).

Pros: It's visual and simple. It schedules down to 15 minute increments. It makes a very dynamic schedule like ours, easy to manage and understand.

Cons: It would be good if a shift automatically started from the time you first click on the schedule. It would be good if they understood how tricking and overcharging their customers leads to a complete lack of loyalty. Buyer beware! Just keep on checking your subscription amounts each month. As if you don't have other things to be occupied with.

by When I Work on 9/09/2016

Thank you for the feedback and we are happy to hear the product is meeting your scheduling needs. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and it's a primary reasons so many business owners choose When I Work over other options.

We understand your frustration in this situation where you enabled a feature which was underutilized.

When I Work does not change billing settings without the explicit written consent by the Account Holder.

We also email out an invoice to Account Holders for every transaction made to ensure clear transparency.

When I Work's flexible and transparent billing allows businesses to only purchase what they need. For some of our customizations, such as international text support, there is a recurring monthly add-on fee.

All pricing customizations are clearly listed on the Account & Billing Page and prior to consenting to the recurring payment- we require the Account Holder's consent to our Terms of Service, Refund Policy, and Privacy Policy.

• Reviewed on 9/09/2016
Lisa D.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 5/02/2018

"Makes scheduling super easy!"

Pros: This product is super straight forward and very user-friendly. It is very easy to use the scheduler as well as keep up with employee hours on the Time Tracker. You can easily edit attendance if your employee forgets to clock out and sending messages to the whole group is super easy with the group message feature. The online based platform is great and the app is the perfect way to post the schedule without having to send out emails of spreadsheets etc. Notifications come straight to your phone regarding scheduling changes, shift swap requests, time off requests, and even when your employees forgot to clock in. Notification alerts are easy to change in settings. There's even a setting to get a reminder 2 hours prior to your shift so in case your schedule is constantly changing, its so easy to keep up with it!

Cons: The satellite/gps location isn't as good as it can be with regards to clocking in. Sometimes it will not let you clock in due to being "too far away" when you are standing right at your work. The app sometimes freezes up when clocking in/out or takes a while to process a clock in. So then when you press "clock in" again, it'll actually clock you out.

by When I Work on 7/02/2018

Hi there Lisa,

Thank you for leaving us a review!

We are so happy to hear that you and your team finds value in When I Work!

If you continue to run into issues with clocking in and out, please feel free to email our Customer Care team at [email protected] Our team will help get the issues you are experiencing resolved.

Thanks again for the review! Hope you have a great day!

• Reviewed on 5/02/2018
Brad S.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2019

"When I have to work, I use "When I Work" to make sure I get to work when I'm Supposed to!!"

Comments: Overall, I really like this Software. It is very affordable for my small company! It has some features and functionality that it's competitor's just simply did not offer. So I actually use 2 different Time tracking softwares. But my employees use this one. If I was forced to make a choice on either "When I Work" or one of their competitors, I would probably have to choose "When I Work". They really do include everything my small business needs and more when it comes to scheduling and time tracking needs. The Geo fencing and Chat feature within the Software is just great. It really takes a lot of concern away from me. It allows the employees to be a bit more free and manage themselves and still be held accountable so I do not need to micro manage. It's hard to Explain, but just try the Software out and you won't be disappointed!!

Pros: The functionality and features offered are by far the best thing about this Software.
Ease of use, and control of use. Fairly Intuitive, and addresses most all of my needs for my small business!! The Cost! This software is very affordable for a small company.

Cons: I think that the Customer Support is not up to Par. The only way to get support is via Chat or to submit a Ticket. I have been ignored or neglected in the past, and just needed some help and no one was available and Did not respond either. This was when I first started using the Software and so it left a bit of a bad impression with me... I wish the Reports were not just limited to CSV files. I wish the reports were nice and clean and well presented like some of their competitors offer...

by When I Work on 7/03/2019

Hi Brad -

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and share you're feedback with us! I'm so happy to hear that When I Work has met a lot of your business needs for managing your team.

I'm sorry to hear that your past experiences with our Care team haven't met your expectations. We currently offer support via live chat and email. These channels allow us to provide support effectively and efficiently for all of our customers at this time.

If you are encountering any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us so we can help out. We can be reached at [email protected] or via Live Chat as you referenced.

Kindly,
Adrianne

• Reviewed on 21/02/2019
Sam B.
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/05/2019

"Scheduling Entertainment"

Comments: Schedule 30 to 40 shows a month across 12 performers is a lot to keep track of. WIW allows me to quickly assign performers to shows. The Notification to the Performers is great and the Reminder 2 hours or so before the Show is excellent... At one point we were doing shows every weekend and were using the OPEN opportunity. I would publish the date and time the opens would be published. Performers would be able to pick the show they wanted based on thier schedule. Being able too publish OPEN shifts in 1 push was very easy to do. I would fill an entire month of shows in about 15 minutes ... VERY efficient.

Pros: The monthly view give me the opportunity to see all scheduled shows and the assigned performer for each. So when customer calls with a specific data and time, I can easily confirm the opening and assign a performer to the show.

Cons: The ability to schedule repeating monthly/weekly events. While "every week" is ok, it does not allow for more complex calendaring such: as every 3rd Wednesday in every month, or every other Monday through out the year. This was a feature in the ORIGINAL WIW from 18+ months ago. There was a small ICON (an elliptical arrow icon) in the "TIME" dialogue box. When clicked it would allow for such complex scheduling ... PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

by When I Work on 9/05/2019

Hi Sam,

Thanks for such a fantastic review! It's great to hear that your scheduling has been made more efficient through the use of OpenShifts. Thanks also for your feedback in regards to repeating shifts, we're always looking for ways to make When I Work more useful for our users.

Terra

• Reviewed on 8/05/2019
Rachel B.
Marketing & Brand Manager
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2018

"Love When I Work. Easy to use, and the customer service is outstanding!"

Comments: Being able to go paperless was the biggest benefit. Also, the ease of the software makes it easy for Supervisors to make schedules and track hours.

Pros: Love the ease of the software, super user-friendly. Also, like that it is easy for all generations to use. Love that all requests can be made online, helping to eliminate paper.

Cons: Would like to see more options for tracking employee hours as far as the reporting goes. Also, other features like tracking employees who work different positions, and being able to report on those hours. Also would like for it to track employee hours who no longer work with us anymore. Don't like that once the employee is removed from When I Work, all of their history is removed as well.

by When I Work on 31/01/2018

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for leaving us a great review! We appreciate hearing from you!

I can definitely see how more advanced reporting and export features could be of use to you and other users. I will be sure to pass this along as a suggestion to our development team.

In addition, you can view the schedules and timesheets for past users by pulling up a 'Schedule Export' or a 'Custom Timesheet Export' and setting the filter to 'All Employees' so your deleted users populate on the report.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care team at [email protected] and they will be happy to help with whatever you may need :)

Thanks again!

• Reviewed on 29/01/2018
Ken T.
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/08/2018

"When I Works works for me!"

Comments: I do not have many employees on my schedule - only 10, but Incan whip up a schedule from scratch in 5-10 minutes.

Pros: It makes scheduling a simple task AND adds features like schedule templates open shift offering that are icing on the cake!
Customer support is responsive and very helpful.

Cons: I would really like a link to view an employee’s full availability directly from the weekly schedule. I have made a request, which was acknowledged in a very positive way. It hasn’t happened yet, though.

by When I Work on 6/08/2018

Hi Ken!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to review When I Work.

That is amazing you are able to whip up a schedule in 5-10 minutes using When I Work. I agree that the OpenShift and Shift Template features make things easier too.

I can definitely understand wanting to see availability while scheduling and I wanted to make sure you know that availability for employees does show on the weekly schedule page in the triangles you see in the corners of the app. If nothing is there, it is assumed the employee is available.

Here's a link to our guide that explains more about seeing availability when scheduling:

Thanks again for your kind words. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]

Cara
- When I Work Team

• Reviewed on 3/08/2018
Helen W.
Aquatic Co-ordinator
  • Reviewed on 4/05/2018

"I love this product, have looked at others that are similar but I still think this is best in class."

Comments: it is not THE answer to scheduling numerous part time staff around their shifts, but it is definitely than paper or excel spreadsheets. staff can access everything remotely and easily. Drop shift and pick up shift function is great. I have just started tracking hours and I really like that feature.

Pros: ease, functionality, rollover capability , copy and paste function, excellent customer support. Staff really like the app function of the software. I prefer to do things on desktop, I enjoy that. I can easily add/remove/assign staff as is necessary. I can block days easily. requests arrive immediately.

Cons: it is more expensive than other similar products.
I cannot limit each employee's availability (I called and tried, found a solution, not best, but still a solution)

by When I Work on 8/05/2018

Hi Helen!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your helpful feedback. I'm happy to hear that the ease and functionality of the app has made scheduling your team more efficient.

We appreciate your feedback on limiting employee's availability and will pass it on to the appropriate team.

If there's anything that we can help with, please don't hesitate to send us a note at [email protected]

Thank you again for your feedback!

Megan

• Reviewed on 4/05/2018
Manager, Digital Technology
Broadcast Media, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2018

"I Love This App"

Comments: This app has been great to us. It saved me hours of work i was previously doing in Excel. Also it expedites coverage by alerting the staff of open shifts.

Pros: This app takes all the hassle of building schedules and covering shifts completely our of the operation. It's versatile working across iphones and droids, has a web interface, and can even send direct text messages to your employees. I'm a big fan of the approval process for managers regarding time off and shift swap. I also like the employee export features that show time off used and (a different kind of export) a quick contact sheet when needed.

Cons: The option to print a schedule always prints in alphabetical employee order. I'd like an option to print in employee POSITION order.

by When I Work on 13/09/2018

Hi there-

Thanks for leaving us a review! We are so glad to hear that you find value in the app!

As for printing the schedule by position, I can certainly pass this along as a suggestion for our development team to look into implementing this in the future!

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us here on the Customer Care team at [email protected] We are always happy to help!

• Reviewed on 10/09/2018
Executive Assistant to the President
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/12/2017

"When I Work is flexible and easy to use!"

Comments: Flexibility in scheduling and the ability to access different schedules for multiple locations all in one screen.

Pros: Both teenage employees and retirees are able to use the program with limited difficulties. It also allows flexibility in programs and cost which is ideal for a season company like ours. We have over 100 employees in-season, and less than 10 in the off-season and we make adjustments all year long.

Cons: The availability feature is not as user friendly as it could be, and has some limitations regarding users and changing availability after schedules have been posted.

by When I Work on 1/12/2017

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to send us a review! Your feedback is appreciated and we are glad to hear that When I Work is working well for your seasonal business! :)

When I Work released a new day by day availability feature to make it easier to enter a specific date¿s availability. If you have more questions about setting your availability up under the new design, please check out our Help Center center at help.wheniwork.com/ or email us at [email protected] We are happy to help!

• Reviewed on 1/12/2017
Scarlett B.
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"Amazing and easy to use. Also the customer service you receive is 5 star service."

Pros: I love how easy this software is to use for all of my employees and myself. It has taken scheduling to the next level and I can't imagine using anything else now!

Cons: Honestly, I have not found anything that I would really complain about. The only thing that would make it easier for my personal use is the preferred work time could be a little easier to see with all my employees. I would like a generalized option for them instead of a daily change.

by When I Work on 24/04/2018

Hi there, Scarlett!

My name is Julia, I'm from the When I Work Customer Care team. We wanted to thank you so much for the awesome review!

It's great to hear that our program has made your scheduling a breeze and we truly appreciate your feedback. I've forwarded your feedback on the Preferred Hours feature on to our product team to review for further updates. We are always trying to enhance performance and I can absolutely understand how this would make scheduling a bit more efficient.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to provide your feedback. We are so grateful to have awesome customers like you and we love serving you and your scheduling needs!

Please don't hesitate to reach out at [email protected] if there's anything we can help with.

Julia

• Reviewed on 23/04/2018
Student Assistant
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2019

"When I Work Review"

Comments: It has been very helpful with knowing exactly when my shifts start and end, as well as updates when I log into the app to my schedule. Overall, I would recommend this product to any business.

Pros: This software allows workers to keep up with their schedule so that they can prepare for when their shifts start and end. When I work has been helpful in notifying people of when they have shifts added or dropped from their schedules. It also allows time off/ leave requests incase you have to be out of work one day or for a period of time. It allows requests to be sent to the administrator where they then approve or deny your time off requests.

Cons: This software does not always notify the user when things have been updated by the administrator in the app. You have to open the app in order to review changes to your schedule or shifts.

by When I Work on 29/03/2019

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to gives us this feedback! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying using When I Work, and that it's been especially helpful for keeping you updated on your schedule and time off requests. If you or anyone you work with is having issues getting notifications, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at [email protected] so we can help you get that resolved.

Briana

• Reviewed on 20/03/2019
Stephanie S.
Project Management
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2017

"Easy to use, quick and helpful support, up and running right away!"

Comments: Our team is a bit unusual in that we all work various hours and often from different locations as we travel. I like that it allows us to easily keep track of everyones schedules and hours. We also often bring in temp employees for seasonal work and this system makes it really easy to add people and allow them to clock in and out. We also really appreciate the integration with our pay roll company. One less thing for our office manager to do is always a win!

Pros: The dashboard is intuitive. I was able to onboard my company and train my employees the same day we signed up and under the free plan. There were a few specific functions I was looking to implement and after a very quick and helpful response from their support staff I decided to upgrade to the basic plan which is meeting our needs perfectly. The support staff followed up our phone call with an email with even more training videos and FAQs that were very helpful.

Cons: The one thing I hope to see changed is to allow employees different clock in options. Since some of our employees have different work situations, like working from home, I'd like to be able to specify each employee settings rather than having to work off a global setting.

by When I Work on 16/08/2017

Hey Stephanie!

Thank you for leaving us a review! We are super excited to hear that you are enjoying the app and have found the support we offer helpful in getting your account off the ground.

Thank you for the feedback regarding more individualized clock in/out methods. Feedback like this is super important to us as we are always looking for ways to make our product easier to use for our customers!

Continue spreading the good word about When I Work and providing us with feedback as needed! Have a great day. :)

• Reviewed on 15/08/2017
Natalie H.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"Convenience!"

Comments: I'm very glad I have this software. It definitely is an asset to my company.

Pros: Convenience of scheduling and time keeping for the employer and the employees.

Cons: I wish I could see more employees per page on the schedule page. (by being able to adjust the row high)
I wish i could enter myself how many hours each employee wishes to be scheduled per week (employees only can do that and they don't keep up with it)

by When I Work on 26/06/2019

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a thoughtful review!

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying using When I Work, especially how convenient it is for both you and your staff. We're always looking for ways to improve When I Work as well, so thank you for your feedback on how we could make scheduling even better and easier for you! If you have any additional feedback, or any questions, feel free to reach out to us at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ as well.

Thank you again, Natalie!

Briana

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Elexciss T.
Customer Happiness Manager
Cosmetics, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2020

"Great and Easy to Use"

Comments: Overall, it's great. Since we have a rotating weekend and work from home schedule, everyone is able to see very clearly/quickly/easily where everyone is, who is in on what day. We didn't have any tools we were using prior to this, so the fact that we haven't changed it is a testament to it's ease of use.

Pros: It's great to be able to see my department schedule in one place. The ease of adding and removing shifts, the ability to preview or schedule ahead of time before publishing is also incredibly useful as we move into the holiday seasons.

Cons: Since this is shared across multiple retail stores and in-office teams, it found it odd that I couldn't just focus on one department. I don't need visibility to other teams, other staff. I occasionally would get an email about someone's vacation request that had nothing to do with my team.

by When I Work on 27/08/2020

Hi Elexciss,

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. I can understand how being able to view other teams' schedules may not be useful. The Supervisor role is limited to viewing only schedule(s) that they are assigned to and may be helpful access level for your profile.

Here is a guide that outlines each access level in greater detail and how to change an access level if you'd like to take a look: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/user-access-privileges-computer/

Thanks again for the review! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ if you have any questions.

Anna