15 years helping New Zealand businesses

About Asana

Asana organizes and manages work across teams at scale.

Learn more about Asana

Pros:

Furthermore, Asana's extremely adjustable and attractive GUI makes interacting with it a lot more enjoyable. It was well worth the money.

Cons:

When you set up a new account, you naturally are opted in to the email notifications, which can be really annoying and a pain to remove. My only suggestion to the Asana team would be to change that.

Asana ratings

4.3

8.4/10

Asana has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 12,501 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Asana before?

Filter reviews (12,501)

Faz
Faz
Head of Product in UK
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Brickflow loves Asana

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Fantastic so far! Love the UI/UX and also love the integrations great for our company!

Pros:

We love the integrations and how seamlessely it auto saves everything we do. We love how easy it is to collaborate and how well thought out the UI/UX is. We also love prioritisation features and how forms filter in so seamlessely

Cons:

We would like some Jira like features like tickets to be built in rather than using customisation as a means to create a system like it.

adam
Graphic Designer in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Task Management

Comments: generally once you get to grips with creating tasks and then subtasks and dependants its extremely powerful and great for project management once you set the project up!

Pros:

simple to use and setup tasks quickly, ad job notes and files, the ability to send a task from other platforms - Slack, Email etc

Cons:

start and end dates are the options for the tasks this doesn't always coincide for large jobs where you want to specify a day to do the job within that period without using a sub-task within the task. with this it sits in your overdue tasks when in reality its not always overdue if its a task for multiple days.

Kim
Document Control Manager in US
Consumer Electronics, 51–200 Employees

Asana - No Change MGMT

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The PMs like Asana, for their management, single source to get messages across quickly

Cons:

Not very much, as it is a bit cumbersome to use, and the threads are very long with comments

Shelley L.
Shelley L.
Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

Asana Keeps Me On Track

Comments: It's been really good. This program is a big help! I also like that if I need someone else to help, I have an extra license.

Pros:

I not only use Asana for my own small business, but also to manage the projects for other clients, as well as my personal projects. Asana offers powerful tools at a lower price than other project management software. Although you may want to upgrade for more features. It's fairly easy to set up although I feel I may not be using it to it's full potential. They offer webinars and educational material to help you.

Cons:

Still wish the pricing could be lower, especially for a single user who doesn't have an office full of people or a large budget. With every app and program requiring subscriptions these days, it really adds up and my project management software will be lowest on the list if something has to go. I also had a bad customer service experience. It took a while but I was able to finally get an answer for my set up question.

Construction, 2–10 Employees

Asana is exponentially better than Monday

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Asana has been a consistent, tried and true product for me that I can depend on when I need it. Their customer support is friendly and responsive, and you can tell they are genuinely trying to help you.

Pros:

Asana does it's job well, but it takes a while to get used to the platform. It is a bit messy looking and can be difficult to figure out how to set up for first time users.

Cons:

Mainly it's not 'super' user friendliness when first setting up, but once you figure it out it becomes a bit easier.

Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Asana streamlined all of our internal & external processes

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Since implementing, we've made huge progress in having standardized processes & workflows across our agency. This helps a lot in efficiency & workload management.

Cons:

Sometimes it's hard to find projects and keep the overview in many projects

Tembi
Executive Director in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Asana Gets the Job Done

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but we decided to switch to Clikup for a more user-friendly interface for our team.

Pros:

I like the project and task management features.

Cons:

I thought that the interface of Asana could be more user-friendly.

Tavaris
Head of Software Development in US
Computer Games, Self Employed

Easy to use project management software

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: With out this software it will be hard for me to track all of my projects.

Pros:

I love that it is not hard to use like Microsoft project. Things are simple and easy to set-up. I like that I can use the software on a phone or tablet.

Cons:

I really didn't have no issues using the software

Karin
Karin
Executive Director in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Asana is everything you need to manage teams and tasks

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We used Asana to create dedicated communication channels for various projects. It's great to organize files and to keep visibility for everyone on the up to the minute updates as work is being done. It's like the best of texts, emails and Google drive/tasks combined.

Pros:

Rather than a million emails that can be difficult to track, Asana allows staff to communicate in organized ways about tasks, deliverables, projects and deadlines in a way that's transparent for all parties.

Cons:

Getting folks to be on board with giving up their email reliance to switch to Asana is the hardest part. But if you can get over that hurdle it's a great tool.

Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

Does the basics well

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Positive but I have had to limit my expectations of what the system does for my business to just task management

Pros:

Excellent at task management for me and my team

Cons:

Would like to be able to capture more detail. Eg auto log emails

Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

Robust Project Management Software for Creative Agency

Comments: Asana has allowed our business to become so much more streamlined, and we no longer worry about dropping balls or missing deadlines. We have been able to accomplish so much more work because of our organization within Asana.

Pros:

Asana has been integral to our business in the last few years -- the platform allows for robust content / project management. We are a small design and web development agency, and we're finally able to track our projects from first inquiry to project close. Asana has been an amazing tool for keeping our processes efficient and transparent, and we've set up teams shared with some clients so that they too can be aware of our progress on their projects. We've also been doing all this using the free version -- we briefly tried a demo of the paid tier, but we found that for our small (and somewhat change-averse) team, the free version has virtually everything we need.

Cons:

There are some elements of Asana that are surprisingly inflexible -- we'd love to have more color options to differentiate our projects and tags, rather than having to use the same 16 colors, for example. And the email notifications are not great -- they send more than is necessary, and they're not very customizable. Asana's customer support team is responsive, but all the requests we have appear to also have been in the request queue for years.

Britt
Strategic Account Manager in US
Commercial Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Do you like lists? WOULD YOU LIKE MORE LISTS?

Comments: We tracks projects/Deals over 5 teams with lots of timescales and deliverables. We are trying to cut down on tools because we are spread across too many of them. In the beginning, there was order and decorum, right now, it's hard to find things, and silo'ed departments are doing better than cross-functionals.

Pros:

We spent about 4 months talking about the move from Trello to Asana, and about 2 months implementing it. Asana has a great project tracking abilities, and for us, the ability to put the same projects in different portfolios (think folders) was key as many different departments need vision into the same projects, but don't want to organize/think like a different department. I like the integration with slack.

Cons:

Right now we are in list overload. I literally have over 200 tasks overdue in Asana right now, and it can stress you out so much, you just want to avoid the whole thing all together. Also, if you company likes to iterate a lot, it can be hard to find what you're looking for, because rules keep changing. Right now it's a mess, and I'm sure that has more to do with us than Asana. We're 80 people, we're on the way to be 200, and I'm worried about how much crazier it will get. Also, I don't like that everyone has full view into all my tasks. Somethings would be nice to be private.

Danny
Danny
VP Marketing in US
Internet, 201–500 Employees

Asana is a solid project management web app but advanced features come at a cost

Comments: We use Asana to get organized and stay organized across teams. The ability to stitch together workflows between Asana and other web apps makes it a very flexible tool in our tech stack.

Pros:

The ease of setting up multiple projects and the ability to assign teams to different projects at the same time. The combination of input forms, gantt charts, calendar views, and kanban board are really powerful and useful for different types of projects. Integration with other apps such as Zapier, HubSpot are key.

Cons:

The user interface is too complex and overwhelming. Errant clicks create new tasks and archives unfinished tasks because almost the entire screen area is clickable for one function or another. Advanced features that make tools more useful such as a more advanced input form with logic jumps require a more premium tier of subscription.

President in Italy
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Asana is my ABSOLUTE GO TO for task and project management

Comments: I switched from Trello to Asana and I truly enjoy using Asana almost because I feel there is a gamification feeling in getting my daily wins accomplished. I literally look at Asana at least 5 times per day and almost always before I end my day to see what my plan of action will be for tomorrow.

Pros:

The fact that I can manage my daily tasks seamlessly both on my desktop computer and on my iPhone mobile application.

Cons:

Sometimes the copy and paste function doesn't work as I would like it to to take a similar task, copy it and then modify it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Emily
Founder & CEO in Canada
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Made scaling my podcast agency so easy!

Comments: I've been using Asana for years for a number of different purposes. I really appreciate the broad feature set and the fact that the Asana team continues to improve the system, without completely overhauling how the whole thing works and looks. The consistency has been so good!

Pros:

Using Asana made it possible to create a repeatable process that anyone on my team can follow and implement. That means that we're able to scale rapidly and bring on new clients without panicking that we won't be able to handle the new workload. We absolutely love that each client is managed via their own project, and within each project we have their entire podcast calendar mapped out for the year ahead. This is essential so that we can plan team workload, and know when to hire.

Cons:

The only thing I wish was available is a calendar view for each project that lists subtasks. Since each client has a primary task for each episode, and sub-tasks are listed underneath that, it would be great to use the drag and drop feature for subtasks easily in one view for that specific project.

Mohammed Majeed
Field Manager in Ghana
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51–200 Employees

don't be deceived by the extremely user friendly interface, it is beast when it comes to performance

Comments: Having used multiple project management software on different projects with different teams, I have noticed that those on Asana usually have the least uptake times for new team members to get used to the software. Not only does that advantage reduce onboarding and training times, it also reduces the frequency of errors and ends up boosting productivity much more that what I have observed on other teams.

Pros:

Navigating around the program is very simple and uncomplicated. This is usually my first consideration when I am learning to use any software, and with Asana it doesn't come any less uncomplicated than that. Another wonderful thing about Asana is the unending list of second and third party software it seamlessly integrates with. With this, there is often zero disruption of workflow systems for teams new to Asana.

Cons:

The file formats available for exporting projects is not extensive enough; often requiring secondary conversion into other equally useful and common formats.

Roldan
Roldan
Web UX/UI Designer/Developer in Philippines
Design, 11–50 Employees

Best choice or good alternative

Comments: Good! Asana is not as difficult to get the hand out with. I did manage to set-up all my tasks and projects personally. Though, I haven't used it for a long time when I did tested Monday.com.

Pros:

I can bet in all of Asana's features from Task management, Scheduling, Materials management, Gantt Charts, Collaborations and the likes. Save for time tracking which is not (yet) available. The Free Pricing however, is generous enough to collaborate with up to 10 or 15 more individuals. Other top PMS has less to nothing - or just one user allowed.

Cons:

User Interface. Asana needs to improve on there user interface to be at par with Monday.com. I've been using Monday and never looked back (except maybe if someday they will overrun Monday with features. Time Tracking. This one matters for some users, specially freelancers and online nomads alike. Just wondering why this wasn't integrated just yet. Set-up. It wasn't that easy to get started for non-techie users. So patience a virtue. Though PMS are understandably complicated, Monday take the pie in this domain.

Nic
Freelance Consultant in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Accuracy for teams!

Comments: Asana has helped me help my clients in increasing efficiency and establishing an understanding between multiple business areas.

Pros:

Asana has a number of templates and various different ways to manage and execute projects of different natures. For example, I use and always suggest to my clients that they use a weekly meeting templates where the sections match the various business operations such as marketing, operations, accounts, warehouse, etc. This allows items for discussion to be addressed in the weekly meeting and then allocated to the projects and individuals for execution. It's great for collaborating and ensuring that everyone in a team nails their dealings.

Cons:

I do find it a bit pricey for smaller businesses, especially when handling multiple clients/projects from a single account and each project needs to be private. It's too expensive for freelancers or small agencies.

Asana Response

4 years ago

Hi Nic and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We're glad to know Asana has helped you and your clients to increase efficiency! We recently made some changes to our paid plans, and among other things, we've implemented a paid solution for teams of 2,3 and 4 people! Please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team if this is something you'd be interested in. We're also available via our Community Forum if you have some questions or need any assistance!

Lindsay
Operations Administrator in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

A Step Away From Being The Best

Comments: We have felt a huge and increasing need for something like Asana and couldn't find the right fit for a fair price. Asana has been the closest we've found to what we are looking for. We can add sub-contractors on individual projects and assign them tasks without having to pay an arm and a leg. This platform would be dynamite with a couple additional features and small changes, but regardless, it has still been of great benefit to us. It is simple enough (compared to complex tools like Bitrix24) but dynamic enough (compared to simple tools like Trello) to be our main work space hub. Because we are used to using free and unlimited tools (like Bitrix24 and Trello), we like that Asana is an affordable solution. We are grateful for all of the benefit it has added to our company!

Pros:

Asana has been a huge asset to our company! It's is very easy to use, clean, organized, aesthetically engaging, and customizable enough to fit specific needs of unique organizations. To create a task list, you must create a new project, so we have a unique "project" for each employee, simply as a way of putting their personal to do list in Asana, instead of having a separate platform (like Wunderlist) for general tasks. Now all project tasks and general tasks can be viewed in one list in Asana. Asana works with our time tracking platform (Toggl) so employees don't have to shift between windows to track which project they are working on. The Timeline view was the biggest selling point for us, since the simple Trello-like project view is far too basic for the complexities of our many fast moving projects. Asana Timeline is simple enough that we don't waste valuable hours just getting the project timeline setup (templates is a life-saver), but we also don't waste time duplicating work, retracing steps, dividing tasks via email, etc. It keeps us organized and helps us communicate progress quickly.

Cons:

Asana allows you to chat around any project, however, the notifications for new messages do not get your attention! You have to be in Asana or email no-stop to realize someone has written you. This makes the conversation/chat element near useless for us. We have to put our messages in Asana (so we can keep all project information in one place) but then notify the associated colleague in What's App that they have a pending and time sensitive message in Asana. This is frustrating! There are a handful of other elements that make this platform less than it could be. When you add a task with a due date and due time, you will not receive an overt chime or pop-up notification at the due time. Again, you must be constantly checking email or Asana... very inefficient with numerous projects going at once and for employees with lots of emails coming in throughout the day. Additionally, you cannot designate a default "assign to" person for a particular task/project list. These issues have been brought up by many Asana users and even after lots of time passing, there has not been real resolution to these frustrating elements.

Michelle
Michelle
Strategic Consultant in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Long time user

Comments: I've been using Asana for years- I think starting in 2010 or 11. I've used it so long that many of my accounts started as the free version and I've watched them slowly and effectively roll out added, useful, functionality without hassle or interruption. I've introduced over 10 nonprofit organizations to using Asana, and everyone has loved it.

Pros:

Easy to learn, attractive and simple interfaces, easy to make it your daily home base. Great for both new and experienced computer users. I love that you can have task/project-related convos and attachments. This is excellent if you are like me and frequently need to show people where they made decisions in the past in an easy way. I love that events can be recurring on almost every pattern I've ever thought of. I use it for grants tracking, so I can assign out pieces to different team members and easily gather pieces back to me. I love that I can hyperlink to previous years notes, attachments, etc. for easy reference, which is really helpful with donors. I also use it to plan editorial pieces, social media, communications campaigns, nonprofit programs, board meetings, household tasks and chores, etc. Previosuly I used it for large books/projects to break large academic projects into smaller pieces. I've used it with large and small groups aged 18-67. I've set it up for over 10 orgs/groups and it is fast and easy. Everyone loves how easy it is to just start using it. Great email functionality and it has a ton of add-ins you can use to link to other software (like time tracking, invoicing, etc.) I LOVE ASANA.

Cons:

I love their free version with a firey passion, but once downside is as they have grown, the free version has lost some searching/reporting capability. However, using their paid product gets you everything you could want. So if you are piloting the free version to get a sense, there is a lot more out there.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A review of Asana by a Creative Director of a Marketing Agency

Comments: A very useful - maybe even invaluable - tool for busy workplaces. Decent looking UI and colour scheme, clear lists but not so clear Project Views - not very good for visual people. Annoying notifications - but maybe I should just try and reduce the number of concurrent tasks!

Pros:

There is something very satisfying about having a digital to do list, saved in the cloud, updated automatically and reminding you of key dates, comments and edits. There is something even more satisfying about being able to finally click a little tick button and have an animated unicorn fly across the screen as a reward. It is very useful to be able to keep ALL correspondence relating to a particular task or project in the same thread. This includes text messages, copy, images, PDFs, etc. - all easily downloadable. It's fairly intuitive - looming deadlines are highlighted in red, you can order tasks how you'd like them, you can tag people using the @ symbol like in Gmail and on social media. So, when you are in Asana, all is fine - you can see all your tasks as a list, a project as a whole or separated into Elements. You can even see your team-mate's projects too. Oh, also, adding sub tasks to tasks and sub tasks is very useful. It's not a nice feeling knowing that you can't tick something off your list until it's sub tasks sub tasks have been done, but that's not Asana's fault! It's nice that it emails you to notify you of key events, but this does have a downside. It's good that it ties in with Time Tracking software too.

Cons:

So, we have to talk about emails. I, as I'm sure many others do too, have a huge number of tasks assigned to me on Asana. Many of these involve other people - clients, team members, project managers, etc. They all have different deadlines and start dates. Every single action involving you, by default, generates an email. Even after turning many of these notifications off, the Updates folder in my inbox is still so full or notifications, it's very common to miss more important ones. Also, the very fact that there is an Inbox IN Asana itself, means that you are notified of everything twice. This aspect doesn't quite feel right or logical. It also quite frequently logs me out, forcing me to log back in again.

Heidi
Membership Engagement Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

The organizational tool to keep your life colorful and carefree

Comments: I'd recommend Asana to anyone who asked because I have not yet found a software that I like as much. It's colorful, inviting, and friendly. It makes you feel encouraged to look at your long list of things to do, rather than fill you with dread. In my job, I have many hats to juggle, and Asana helps to take care of it all. It's the sticky note of the internet, and I am a grateful user.

Pros:

I am a sticky note person. I have sticky notes everywhere, but the problem is that sticky notes can't remind you of your tasks, notify you if you've missed a deadline, or post comments to your coworkers to find out if they've completed their portion of the task. Asana does all of that. I can organize my work life down to the millisecond if I wanted to, but that's a little overkill. Everything in Asana is clearly displayed and labeled. Our staff uses the system together, so I can keep track of what my coworkers have on their plate. It helps me to know if/when I can interrupt them or ask to assist on a task. The deadlines are helpful as well and intuitive. If you miss a task, it goes red. Check off a task, and the funniest thing happens. A unicorn shows up to congratulate you. I appreciate the humor of the software developers. It reminds me that we are all human and just want to laugh sometimes. If you have a task that needs to get done, but a coworker is the person who has to do it, no problem! Simply assign a task to them, and they will get a notification. No more tracking down staff in the office just to ask them to do something. It's a very efficient tool, and I am very happy.

Cons:

There is no messaging component that allows for live chat conversations. That is the only downside. If I want to have a conversation with a coworker on a project, I have to create a comment and tag them in it- real Facebook style. If I could have a chat button to work in real time with my coworkers, I'd get rid of Slack in a heartbeat. Also, sometimes categorizing the section entitled "My Tasks" can be tricky. There are so many settings that you have to be very specific, like assigning a date and a person to the task (like yourself). If you accidentally write a task, but don't assign a date or person, that task could disappear somewhere into your growing list of things to do. It can be easy to lose a task if you're not careful.

Odette
Deputy Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Intuitive, Powerful, and Beautiful To Do App

Comments: Asana has allowed our office to both keep extremely flexible and extremely specific project to-do lists. It also allows us to keep our conversations about an issue or project in one place, archived for all time. Additionally, we are able to keep reference information about each project in Asana, creating one central place to check for details, status, and tasks on each project.

Pros:

Asana is extremely easy to implement in an office. The design is clean and intuitive and feels very familiar and easy to use from Day 1. Love the ability to create tracking boards or lists, depending on what my need is; and the ability to switch between both of these views is a huge plus. The animations are a delight. Love the Chrome and Gmail plug-ins, I use those multiple times a day. I liked Asana so much that I implemented it at home to keep our family on track and organized.

Cons:

I wish there was the ability to personalize the skin of the app more -- different backgrounds for the desktop, stickers. I also wish that Asana could integrate with electronic planners to replace their to-do list function.

Shashank
Shashank
Digital Marketing Analyst in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Easiest Way to Manage Your Team Work and Tasks Handling

Comments: We have many promoting enactments spread over different time spans and over numerous brands we own. Having the option to arrange the entirety of this successfully and keep everybody on time has been a huge assistance and has spared us endless long stretches of time. We utilize this apparatus day by day to keep everybody on target, and I was unable to be more joyful with the outcomes. We have seen an improvement in announcing guidelines since we began utilizing Asana. Colleagues are straightforward and it is anything but difficult to see everything and help those that are having difficulties finishing ventures.

Pros:

It's anything but difficult to actualize and to installed new clients. The interface is alluring and instinctive. New highlights are showing up at regular intervals - the as of late included Portfolio/Workload include is splendid. Presently I get the Gantts I have to screen my group's remaining task at hand and our numerous undertakings. Incredible labeling and search capacities make it exceptionally easy to monitor our horde promoting enactments and all their related expectations. Including subtasks and including teammates errands makes it extremely simple to monitor who needs to do what and by when. Different perspectives like records, schedules, and kanban sheets make it open to everybody in the group who thinks and cycles data in an unexpected way. The UX is perfect and basic, and the 'my undertakings' and 'inbox' highlights help us all monitor what's going on in our allocated zones.

Cons:

The main con I have is that there is fairly a lofty expectation to absorb information for a portion of the further developed highlights, and there's some genuine reasoning and truly difficult work needed to get everything spread out and composed in the device and afterward get everybody onboarded. Be that as it may, I think this is likely going to be the situation with any group embracing a task the executives instrument. Despite the fact that it gives the choice to make sure about archives and information from altering by empowering the remark just element, it doesn't limit survey of the information of which it is a component they can add to ensure there is choice on who can see information among the colleagues.

Niklas
Niklas
Senior Project Manager in US
Pharmaceuticals, 501–1,000 Employees

Practical tool for planning and scheduling projects and managing tasks.

Comments: The key issue we are addressing is keeping medium and long-term projects organized in one location, especially when numerous people or departments are involved. Being able to establish schedules is also very important for tracking progress. We have also discovered that Asana may be beneficial for tasks that we previously performed in an Excel spreadsheet, such as establishing our yearly budget, whether you are working in a team or managing projects and people on your own, with or without expertise managing resources. In comparison to other systems, tracking project progress, bottlenecks, recovery, and efficiency is not a huge issue when using Asana remotely or in a typical office environment.

Pros:

I like being able to click "My Tasks" to see what I need to prioritize depending on deadlines, including multi-workflow projects; it helps me remain on top of my work and guarantee I get everything done on time. With Asana, an easy-to-use project management application that is useful even for rookie or inexperienced users, creating, scheduling, and managing operational workflow, development projects, and team performance becomes simple and comfortable.

Cons:

I dislike it when random people in my workplace assign me jobs in Asana with no context or explanation; I believe there should be an option to refuse assignments or seek extra information before they are automatically placed to their task list. Asana is a straightforward and easy-to-use application, however beginner users may struggle to utilize it when they are unfamiliar with how to use it, for example, for project Gantt charts, plan time tracking, and other comparable project functions. counterpart software.