• Overall
    4.1 /5
    4.1 /5
    3.9 /5

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1,034 reviews

James D.
Founder, President
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2019

"Better than the competition, and it's secure"

Comments: This system was preferred before switching to ADP, however their cost at the time resulted in us switching to ADP

Pros: I like the fact they require two factor authentication. Their customer service used to be good and is still decent compared to ADP. Their system can be fully customized for reports and coding purposes. Their reporting is much better than ADP

Cons: Their support has gone down hill in the last year in addition to their pricing is about 20% higher than ADP on most items. Lacks an employee portal standard on all plans

• Reviewed on 14/01/2019
Rebecca S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/01/2021

"Amazing Customer Service & Affordable"

Comments: Highly recommended company! Easy to work with and very affordable for a small business owner.

Pros: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is an amazing sales representative who also manages my account. He is unbelievable in his response time and ease to work with. The payroll management is very affordable.

Cons: I had a few glitches with miscommunication with someone servicing my account but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was there to instantly rectify the mistake.

• Reviewed on 5/01/2021
Candace E.
Google CS First Instructor
  • Reviewed on 9/04/2018

"Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!"

Comments: The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros: Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons: Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

• Reviewed on 9/04/2018
Peter G.
Owner/Manager
Fishery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2019

"A great asset to have when running and business."

Pros: The software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.

Cons: The app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2019
Matthew H.
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/06/2017

"Excellent company top to bottom"

Pros: Paychex has been top-notch for over five years, when I switched to them from another payroll company. I operate a small seasonal business with about 10 employees, and from the beginning I have received all the support that I need for my payroll and tax responsibilities, and at a more reasonable rate than I was paying before. I deal with one single payroll specialist every week (unless she is on vacation or something), which I love, and if she is unavailable the fill-in specialists have been able to take care of my payroll, which is not quite standard, without any issues. The website took a little getting used to initially, but I download my reports from there every week, quarter, and year, and everything is easy to find and use. I couldn't recommend Paychex more highly, at least for any business such as mine.

Cons: If anything, I feel that it would be good to consider a website review and edit - I do not have anything specific to offer in terms of what to change, but it did seem a little confusing the first few times using it. I don't have any issues now, but admittedly I only log on to do the same thing (download the report) each week, quarter, and year.

• Reviewed on 7/06/2017
Human Resources Specialist (Lead Role)
  • Reviewed on 5/06/2018

"I have worked with Paychex for HR and Payroll purposes."

Comments: We were able to reduce storage of paper statements that were never picked up. We were able to increase employee morale by giving our employees the ability to see their own data and make time off requests on their own.

Pros: The user friendly approach within the Employee Online Access. We had employees that were afraid to go paperless with pay statements but with a little training everyone began utilizing the system. I liked the time and attendance module which allowed employees to see their own timesheets and administratiors to make corrections/update their staff timesheets and approve prior to payroll processing.

Cons: I disliked the fact that the payroll module didn't link directly with time and attendance, we had thought that what was done in time and attendance regarding time off balances would automatically feed to payroll and reflect on our employees pay statements. But we found out that we had to do adjustments in both windows to ensure it matched.

• Reviewed on 5/06/2018
Aline L.
Deputy Finance Director
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/10/2019

"One-stop shop, but not very customizable"

Pros: It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons: Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

• Reviewed on 3/10/2019
Renae R.
Controller
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2017

"Good Website"

Pros: I do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.

Cons: When there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2017
Brad C.
Practice Manager
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2020

"This software implified my life"

Comments: I recently upgraded to Paychex Flex from what I believe is called their "time and labor online" product. The most frustrating issue was the Paychex employees and implementation team used the same terminology for different products. (Implantation is complete, but still tweaking some options.) This time, attendance and payroll system will ultimately automate at least three manual processes:. PTO tracking for physicians, entering holiday hours for each employee and tracking points for our attendance policy (very time consuming). It's a very good solution for my clinic!

Pros: Transferring time and attendance to the payroll module is significantly easier compared to their other platforms. I review employees' timecards 1 - 3 times a week and find them very easy to read (again comparatively).

Cons: There is not a way to track and pay independent contractors on the exact version I use. Less obvious but frustrating is the required date format. For example, many sites I use can be 7/3/20. This site requires 07/03/2020. (A pet peeves of mine.)

• Reviewed on 16/09/2020
Joshua L.
Engineer
Biotechnology, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/12/2020

"New to the software. It works, but not always intuitively"

Comments: I have only been using the software for a few weeks. So far, I have not wasted too much time figuring out what it does and doesn't do, however, when I need to do something specific, I have always been able to eventually navigate to the required functions

Pros: I am new to the software, but I like that it seems to have a lot of functionality that previous systems I have used do not. I can change my withholdings, view relative info about direct reports, track time spent on different projects etc.

Cons: The software is harder to navigate than my old software. This may be just a case of needing to get used to it, but it has taken me time to get used to where to log my hours, how to approve mine and other peoples time and so on. That being said, it does what it does well.

Michelle D.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/12/2020

"Paychex Flex - Not So Flexible"

Comments: I find Paychex Flex to be cumbersome compared to other payroll providers but it is a vast improvement over running payroll in-house. For a company making the transition to outsource payroll, it is probably a good option. For an accountant user with access to many programs, it is not the best choice.

Pros: I have used several different payroll systems for my clients and recently began working with a client who was already using Paychex Flex. While it had some benefits, I did not find it to be as robust as many other providers. The benefits are not unique as many providers offer info for the employees all in one place and online access to pay stubs. They do the payroll filings and remittances which is helpful.

Cons: The customer support is lacking both for employee users and admins as they are slow to reply. The reports are difficult to master as they are not as intuitive as those with other payroll providers. When the company is doing upgrades, the system will not save the data you input but they do not let you know that beforehand. You have to find out after you have input the info and it will not save. The time keeping function is klunky and does not allow you to approve "all" time reports at once.

Miranda F.
Human Resources
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2020

"Paychex Flex"

Comments: I am excited to dive more into the software. Paychex Flex can do so many different things. I look forward to a very long and lasting relationship with them.

Pros: We are a month into the implementation process with Paychex and just processed our very first payroll. So far the experience with Paychex and their implementation team has been outstanding. The paychex flex website is very easy to navigate. Each user can customize his/her own dashboard for the items they use on a regular basis. The Paychex Flex APP is also awesome. You can access from anywhere if you need to view or update any information. VERY VERY PLEASE CUSTOMER SO FAR.

Cons: Nothing.

• Reviewed on 11/09/2020
Rebekah S.
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2020

"Great payroll software but the cost adds up"

Comments: We never had an issue with Paychex. They are the best payroll company to work with. you are even assigned a personal rep. Whenever you need something I could call them and they would give me what I need ot would walk me through the program to do it myself.

Pros: Paychex Flex made it really easy to report payroll and generate reports. The whole process from inputting a new employees, calculating payroll totals and processing was made simple. The user interface is really easy to use and neat. There really isn't an easier way to process payroll

Cons: The only thing that eventually made us step away from Paychex after 4 years was the cost. Its more expensive than if your bank were to do it. They also charge for quarterly reports and annual reports. It just seemed to us that the fees kept going up and up.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2020
Heather S.
Kitchen Manager
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2019

"User Friendliness"

Comments: The ability to clock in and out on our POS system and have all that information in a labor report immediately availiable for PayChex was a time saver. I did save money over all having them handle all payroll and hand delivery of checks every Friday.

Pros: The ability to see pay stubs amd employees information. Also the company information was availiable as well as a live chat option to ask questions to a company rep immediately. Changing tax information was instant instead of waiting for the boss to fix it.

Cons: The log in process is long and tedious. In 2017 some of the information required was only known to the boss or owner. Employees were frustrated and some court ordered deductions were shown but not labled as Child Support or tax lien.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2019
Director, People Operations
Consumer Goods, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/12/2018

"A Growing Platform for a Growing Company"

Comments: As a small business, they were a great start for our general needs. Once we passed a threshold of what we were looking for, they worked with us to transition to a more robust platform.

Pros: Paychex Flex had great customer service, helping us with all of our questions as we continued to grow.

Cons: We found we were outgrowing the platform, Paychex Flex had limitations on how it could automate our reports and provide us the details we really needed.

• Reviewed on 7/12/2018
Human Resources
Construction, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2020

"Best System and Support Team"

Comments: Flex is the best bang for your buck in our opinion.

Pros: Paychex Flex offers a variety of functions and features that are ideal to our company. The on boarding was easy thanks to their great support team.

Cons: I have no complaints. The system is easy to use for our admins as well as employees. The customer service is great and available 24/7

• Reviewed on 17/08/2020
Matt J.
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018

"Payroll Software"

Pros: Pyachex software has been very helpful in managing our hourly employees time clocks and payroll. It allows us to ensure that we have everyone clocking in on-time and we are withholding the proper amount from each paycheck.

Cons: The sales representative for our software is not very easily accessible and it takes a little bit of time to get in touch with them.

• Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Administrative and Support Specialist
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/10/2018

"We use paychex and so far it seems good"

Pros: I like that I can see all my paperwork and info for multiple jobs with one login. I have 2 jobs so I can see both paystubs/w-2s/etc all in one place which I like. Plus, my 401k information and my FSA is all done through paychex flex so its nice to have it in one place.

Cons: I feel like the interface is a little hard to maneuver. I know we have a lot of capabilities but I have no idea how to use them. Getting to my 401k and trying to change/analyze it is a little hard and I am a pretty tech savy person.

• Reviewed on 3/10/2018
Christina C.
Operations manager
Sports, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Not for those who aren’t tech savvy"

Comments: Once we got the hang of it (thanks to the awesome customer service) it saved us a ton of time on payroll

Pros: The amount of options it gives you for everything having to do with payroll and HR. It’s super customizable to fit your needs.

Cons: It was a bit complicated to learn how to use for multiple companies. Also the website could be a little glitchy/laggy at times.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
John M.
Planning & Investment Analyst
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2021

"Great for payroll, lacking on retirement benefits"

Comments: Overall Paychex Flex is a great tool. Its strengths are really good but its weaknesses are quite cumbersome. These things can be fixed over time.

Pros: What I like most about Paychex Flex is the payroll management and tracking segment of the website. The new updates provide a fresh clean look and everything is extremely easy to find. Great interface.

Cons: My only complaint with Paychex Flex is that the retirement component is still transitioning over from Classic and it is taking a long time. Also, the fact that Paychex does not integrate with 3rd party aggregators such as Quicken is terrible. I have to manually enter my 401k transactions and it is a painful process. Please repair your relationship with Quicken for direct downloads.

• Reviewed on 18/03/2021
Mark P.
Logistics Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/09/2020

"Great Software"

Comments: I would recommend this to anybody in the business world.

Pros: We use this at my work on a daily basis for the guys who have to clock in and out.
I can also view all my paychecks for the past 2 years.

Cons: I wish there was a link to my medical benefits through this site.
Other than that it is very solid for work.

• Reviewed on 8/09/2020
Shenandoah D.
COO
Staffing & Recruiting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/07/2018

"Out dated and impersonal"

Pros: This product works fine for day-to-day activities but has failed to meet some basic requirements when anything out of the ordinary is required.

Cons: Customer service through Paychex has been very challenging for our business, which ultimately led us towards switching payroll service providers. Countless errors were made when switching contractors to employees, when terminating employees, and Paychex failed on many occasions to provide financial information and tax documents to various states we were reporting in. They were also unhelpful in providing documentation to various states and city governments while our company was dealing with past-due notices that Paychex should have been responsible for. Our account manager changed hands a number of times with no notice, often no notification, and without a clear line of communication. Overall, their lines of communication seem outdated for companies operating online and whatever 'personal touches' they may have been known for have been lost to the wayside of a digital communication age where information has the capability to be freely transmitted from one employee to another. I found myself frequently re-sending the same required documentation to multiple parties and asking the same questions time and time again which were either ignored or partially answered. Overall an incredibly disappointing experience for the years we were with them.

• Reviewed on 6/07/2018
Darla S.
Human Resources Manager
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/04/2018

"Great Product"

Pros: Paychex Flex has allowed us to streamline many processes of our payroll and human resources aspects of our business.

Cons: I would like to see Paychex Flex add a feature to help employees with a check calculator to know how their taxes would be affected by changing their W-4 form.

• Reviewed on 4/04/2018
Blaine T.
General manager
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"Quickly access all of your payroll needs."

Comments: All payroll information

Pros: I really enjoy the ability to quickly view hours worked, available PTO, deductions, and any other payroll related information.

Cons: I can not change address and tax information without submitting to an admin. This may be a specific setting.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Stephanie M.
Administrative Manager
Environmental Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"Always Improving"

Comments: Paychex flex made doing bi weekly payroll and pulling reports Easy!

Pros: It was easy to learn and easy to use, so implementing it was painless.

Cons: Because they were trying to improve there were some changes and Beta versions.

• Reviewed on 25/07/2019