ShopKeep Reviews

by ShopKeep By Lightspeed

• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.2 /5

About ShopKeep

ShopKeep By Lightspeed exists to give independent business owners the tools they need to thrive in the modern world.

Learn more about ShopKeep

Showing 25 reviews of 684

Angie F.

"Puts Square to shame"

Comments: Anytime I have had any issue or problem, customer service has been the best in helping me work threw it (computer illiterate remember) plus they always have options for me to make changes that potentially make it easier on my end, or sometimes even cheaper.

Pros: I like the fact that it is a lot more detailed in the inventory set up because it allows you to actually separate you retail store into sections where square did not allowing check out to be easier and faster if you are having issues with or do not use UPC/SCU coding. I also like the fact that you can enter your inventory purchases which automatically adds it to your inventory counts and then you can enter your payout/paying for such accounts

Cons: The inventory entry durning initial setup. Because I am computer illiterate, I am still struggling to get it set up correctly and you do not have the option to go in and erase everything to start over.

Lonnie F.
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2019

"Great software for a reasonable price"

Comments: I can’t say enough good things about this quality built, easy to use and amazingly dependable system. I haven’t had not one minute of downtime and pairing that with an expert technical support team you can focus your needs on the growth of the business rather than the operations. I will continue to use Shopkeep as long as they will let me.

Pros: Ease of implementation along with ongoing technical support that doesn’t just blow you off when you need them. It’s a very robust system that includes all the features I need most in an easy to use format.

Cons: My only negative comment would be toward the purchase order system that is a bit lacking in functionality and tends to be a bit glitchy.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Ariel J.
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Shopkeep"

Pros: Ease of use. Easy to print UPCs straight from the software. Easy to read the data. I like that Shopkeep processes their own credit cards because then you only have one customer service agent to call when there is an issue.

Cons: Bulk Management is not easy to use because there are many nuances that bring up a lot of issues/errors. It doesn't let you activate inventory counts once they are turned false.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Julie T.
  • Reviewed on 1/03/2019

"Shopkeep continues to Impress..."

Comments: Shopkeep is my overall solution for register transactions and my merchant account. I have been extremely satisfied with the overall look, performance, easy of maintaining inventory, reporting and the very competitive merchant services I am receiving. Updates to the system functionality are continually being delivered and provided in the What's New tab... I'm finding treasures there for things I didn't realize I would need, but have made my life so much easier. Check quantity of inventory at the register, bar code scanning for returns was a big one, and I really like the ability to print bar code labels for the quantity needed right from the back office. Overall, I feel I have partnered with the right provider who is progressive in continually developing and delivering the best software solution to their customers, which is the same model I have adapted to continually provide fresh new products for my customers. Thanks, Shopkeep, keep up the great work!

Pros: I am a retail store and was looking for a register solution which was affordable, scalable, and flexible for my type of business. The overall aspect of this software solution by Shopkeep which I am really impressed; they continue to improve and update the features and functionality. I have really enjoyed the new returns option to tender back to a gift card and the flexibility to add items and variants in the back office quickly and send to the register.

Cons: The only challenged experienced when I started the service was around the delivery of my equipment. The order got a bit stuck in the system and some of the equipment did not arrive on time. Customer Service was extremely helpful, and continued to follow-up with me until resolved. Making a difficult situation easier to get through.

• Reviewed on 1/03/2019
Matt S.
Farming, 2-10 Employees

"Best Decision We Made"

Comments: It has been a great experience. From startup, how easy it is to use and train new employees on to tech support

Pros: Everything. The ease of use and how it never lets us down. If we do have issues, Shopkeep is very quick and responsive to getting us back up and running

Cons: Could use a few more options on the back office

Eugene W.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2019

"Credit card readers"

Comments: Need better credit card processing. Like square

Pros: It’s fairly easy to use and update on the back end.
Keeping track of sales and the the pocket app is a useful feature

Cons: The credit card processors have costed us a substantial amount of business. From customers walking out to getting looks for having to type in every bit of credit card detail just to buy a cup of coffee. We wanted to be able to take Apple Pay, but we didn’t know the credit card processors comparable with Shopkeep would cut out as frequently as they do.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Brian M.
Partner
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/06/2019

"Great system for most any business.."

Comments: Very easy to set up and seamless system support is key. The integrated Merchant services is also a plus..One stop support..no more finger pointing!

Pros: The ability to manage inventory, the sales and item level reporting, the management reports, and the ability to track my business through a phone app off premise.

Cons: Not mush to dislike..I would like to tweak a couple of reports and inventory and cycle count adjustment tracking (sorting) but all in all very happy with the system overall.

Jacqua C.

"Great Customer Experience"

Comments: I needed an automated POS and inventory management system. ShopKeep has fully solved this gap.

Pros: The integration between back office and the register is seamless. We are beta testing the Android register and have found it to be very user friendly. The reporting features it lacked were quickly added to the next release, which I was very happy to see. Customer service is so friendly, knowledgable and quick to engage. I am very pleased with the software and service overall.

Cons: Its integration to the preferred web host Big Commerce is sub optimal. Quantity counts are not reliable. It is also difficult to accurately import the products from ShopKeep back office .

Amy F.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2019

"Great for bakery owners, especially on the road"

Comments: I am grateful for the software and ap. It makes it easier for me to juggle work and family.

Pros: I like that I can watch sales from the road. Did we open on time? Did we sell out of an item? What time? Did a particular sale go through? It makes it possible for me to stay connected to my bakery when I need to work from home, or on the road.

Cons: I wish I could track ONE item over time.

• Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Sabrina G.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/06/2017

"Shopkeep is a tool that every shop owner needs! It's seamless and well rounded features are A+++"

Comments: I have recommended this software many times, and I believe two of those recommendations have elected to use Shopkeep. My personal benefits are ease of training new staff to use it, time savings on back office reports, and the edge it gives my business to utilize the data gathered from the use of this POS.

Pros: I love the back office abilities to crunch your numbers allowing me to make better business decisions. I have saved a lot of time with this POS and it's seamless back office in regards to gathering pertinent information like monthly sales tax, employee hours and return customer activities.

Cons: There are still functions about Shopkeep that as a buy sell trade business I have to do work arounds in order to make it work for my business model. For instance, % based cost 'when' a consignment item sells. I also would like to rename the tender buttons as it is used for my business. For instance, we use the Other tender when a customer utilizes the Trade in my store. Though these are negatives I am also confident it is possible shopkeep will consider updating this function. That's what I love about Shopkeep. It is not a static, once you buy it that's what you have, POS. It's an ever evolving software that will keep you up to date.

• Reviewed on 8/06/2017
Kathie S.
Vape Shop Owner

"Happy customer"

Comments: I have been a ShopKeep Customer for four years and am overall happy.

Pros: Very easy to use. The cost is good. Great customer service. Rarely have issues with down-time.

Cons: Need to offer more than one integrated reward program. Offer smaller add on packages for retail shops that do not sell online. Add buttons to screen for discounting. Some issues with inventory.

Timothy B.
Chef/Owner
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

"Why Try the Best?"

Comments: This is a great product and program for a growing business. We are interested in growing and this system will allow us to take the current system and add on to what we have, Easy Peasy. We have to be ready for growth, this is the way to do it!

Pros: The set up and use for this software has been awesome! We are constantly adding and ending products. Integrating that into the system and tracking in the customer module is a breeze. These guys are updating and automating the system all the time. In my field, we have a high change over of employees, ease of use is a must.

Cons: While the system is a good product, as any business owner, we are always paying attention to cost of the system. For a business that needs multiple registers and multiple set ups, this is a great system to use and to operate many different registers on the same system and program. Data gathering in this system would be phenomenal when tracking, organizing and interpreting,

Krystle E.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 6/11/2019

"Some concerns"

Pros: Ease of use
Reports
Apps used such as mail chimp that connects

Cons: Currently not connected to my website platform - bigcommerce- hassle, not to mention losing customers from lack of inventory control The 2 platforms don’t connect for reports. Such as total sales, customers, cumulative Handheld credit card processor frequently not working ... difficult to understand. Now not working at all (support ticket just given for this)

• Reviewed on 6/11/2019
Michael H.
Member Manager
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

"Very Easy POS System"

Comments: We purchased a new business more than a year ago & ShopKeep has made the transition process very smooth. Everything was very easy to setup & we were able to start charging customers that very same day. Excellent service.

Pros: The setup & adding of additional products is very easy to use. Anywhere from the pricing adjustments to keeping track of employees of hours, this product is the way to go for my hostel/hotel business.

Cons: The only con I would say is that since I don't always keep the iPad next to the clover printer, when I walk away with the iPad in hand to charge the customer or show them something, the clover disconnects. Then to reconnect the iPad to the clover with a customer waiting in line is not always the quickest. I've learned to deal with that so we will still manage.

Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/03/2019

"Easy to Run POS System"

Comments: Setup was easy, the register component is great, and the back office reporting and tie-ins to Quick Books make for a trouble-free POS system

Pros: Simple to setup and maintain from the Backoffice side of the software. Front End/Register side is extremely easy to use and employees with even limited computer abilities are able to smoothly run the register.

Cons: The lack of Open Accounts, where the credit card is captured and able to be charged at regular intervals, for Regular Customers is a challenge, but we have a work around for that missed opportunity. Also, the search functionality could be improved...for those items that are not bar-coded or have a "button" on the register, the search is very temperamental. If you enter something in the search bar and it isn't an exact match, the system isn't intuitive enough to find the item.... can be a challenge.

• Reviewed on 8/03/2019
Matthew D.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2019

"ShopKeep has changed the way we do business."

Comments: Since switching from a manual register to ShopKeep, we are able to maintain pricing and accuracy with our staff. It is also great to manage items with modifiers!

Pros: We love the ease of use on the front-end and the level of detail on the back-end! Allowing us to use the back office to adjust employee clock ins, add or edit inventory, organize item buttons etc...is super easy and well thought out. ShopKeep also has the ability to capture more than one tax code at a time which is essential for doing business in my state.

Cons: I would love an option to be able to bill large clients. We have a certain clientele that doesn't pay at the point of sale and we use a separate system to track what they owe us at the end of the month. Also, we provide deliveries, and If there were a way to use shopkeep for delivery orders, that would be great.

Robert K.
Manager/Principal
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2019

"Tabak Haus"

Comments: This is the only POS/backoffice I have used for the business so, I am unable to compare.

Pros: Very few issues. Relatively easy to use.

Cons: Updates that degrade the functionality. Constant ads in backoffice portal.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2019
Vanya L.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees

"It works"

Comments: Awesome customer service. Always there when you call and super helpful.

Pros: Tracks all my sales and inventory and has all the reports

Cons: Can’t do exchanges. Have to return separately. Then ring up customers new purchases. Split tenders send out emails for each type and then final.

Elisa H.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"Simplicity at its best"

Comments: Love it! Easy to use, if I need any reports it’s at the push of a button, easy to track anything.

Pros: I love the app on my phone to check real time sales, time clock function, customer service number is very quick to assess any issues.

Cons: I wish the time clock would separate each day and total hours including overtime. We are in California so over 8 hours is overtime. I have to manually calculate two rows per person per day to get my totals.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Christy K.
Managing Partner

"Love this POS"

Comments: Excellent. The customer service is great too!

Pros: I love how easy it is to use and to teach to new employees. I love the inventory management features.

Cons: I wish I could use the barcodes that exist on the product and did not have to enter every product into inventory

Diane and K.
Co-owner

"We woof ShopKeep!"

Comments: It makes reporting and analyzing inventory, sales, losses and other things very simple.

Pros: Easy to use. It has awesome features and reports

Cons: The prices went up high and we don’t use all the “bells and whistles “.

Travis M.

"Shopkeep"

Pros: Ease of use and training. Phone app. Integrated with other products. Gift cards.

Cons: Inability to see item codes on item display screen (for restocking/purchasing routine)

Mark S.
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2020

"Friendly customer service - but scripted and don't solve any issues!"

Comments: We have spent hours and hours with customer service. No one is able to solve the conversion problem. During our conversion training phone call (that is only allowed to be 30 minutes) we were told that several thousand inventory items, our customers from 7 years of business, and loyalty points could not be loaded into Shopkeep. Yet our salesman told us that all of this would convert easily from Vend. So we tried to cancel the contract immediately. After 3 weeks we finally were allowed to escalate and talk to a supervisor – she argued with us and kept putting us on hold to go listen to prior sales & customer call transcripts - yet when she would come back she just said all she could do for us is let us buy out our contract for $2000! Oh then at the end of the call she read a script that support is available 24/7. And Shopkeep has given us the run around for almost 5 months continuing to charge us every month. All emails are dead end no-reply addresses. Run from this company.

Pros: We used ShopKeep for 5 years and were satisfied. We left because ShopKeep did not have an e-commerce platform. When we came back 2 years later, we were told by sales that a move from Vend would be 100% compatible. We purchased a 1 year contract for a reduced price and were told we had 30 days to cancel. After our onboarding, we were told our POS systems were not compatible for conversion. And they said that the fine print on the contract clearly shows that we only had 24 hours to cancel. It took 3 days to schedule an appointment to learn that they could not service our retail store.

Cons: Sales people promise the moon, but the company clearly doesn't deliver. I wish we had believed the poor reviews!!! Not a single product was able to be converted from our current POS. We were told that we would manually have to reenter 3000 items in inventory and find all the items on the showroom floor and manually change out every price tag - even our previous ShopKeep merchandise! They said our gift cards, loyalty rewards, and customer database would all come over seamlessly. That was not true. We have had 4 appointments for calls set up - they don't call when scheduled - until we inquire - then they give excuses. To summarize, we have paid for 5 months of service, have never been able to use the product. We still haven't received the credit card processor that we paid for and were promised we would have almost 5 months ago. Shopkeep promises 24/7 customer service, but when you call they are closed and only have east coast hours.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2020
Rena G.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/08/2017

"The worst customer service I have ever received"

Comments: I have been a loyal customer for 5 years with 2 restaurants and Shopkeep in both restaurants and I would not but it in another shopkeep system based on the customer service that I have had recently.

Pros: Shopkeep is easy to use for anyone. The back office is helpful and provides good information. I like that you can customize the pages to fit your needs.

Cons: Shopkeep's customer service is really bad. I rarely have an issue that I need to call Shopkeep about, usually I can trouble shoot most of the issues that we have. However, when I do have a problem, the people that answer the customer service lines seem to have very little or no knowledge of their own system. The people they hire repeat things over and over instead of trying to problem solve. On one call, the person kept putting me on hold and asking someone what I was asking him and then he would get back to me. It seems as though before they try to trouble shoot they try to blame it on something else. They usually try to blame it on my internet provider before they finish hearing what my problem is. Today when I called, I asked to speak with a supervisor because the CS person didn't know how to resolve my issue. He said there was no supervisor there today. What kind of unprofessional business is this that they don't have anyone to help when the CS person can't. In addition, call wait times are ridiculously long. Lastly, there is a real problem with their system that allows employees to steal money with their void system. I have told them several times for over a year that their system should be able to produce a report for all checks that are voided. They have not considered it a priority since a year later there is still no report for voided tickets. I had an employee steal thousands of dollars from me due to Shopkeep not being able to produce a voided checks report.

• Reviewed on 7/08/2017
Nicoe D.

"Great Software!"

Comments: Overall, Shopkeep has made life a little easier. Super easy to enter inventory, print labels, access back office to watch sales, run payroll. It is all in one software!

Pros: I will say, the customer service is amazing! No matter what problem you are having, they have a solution. It is comforting that they are always there for you. The back office is great and easy to use.

Cons: Don't make the mistake of ordering the clover- I have had many issues, and they are there to help correct it. But this thing breaks down all the time, and at times, doesn't like to work with the Shopkeep program. At this time, it would be a pain to change over.