• Overall
    4.1 /5
    3.9 /5
    4.4 /5

About HoudiniESQ

Integrates with LawPay, Word, Excel, Outlook, Evernote, QuickBooks, Acrobat, Calendar/Court Rules, WordPerfect & Google.

Learn more about HoudiniESQ

Nathan D.
Managing Attorney, Certified Specialist, California State Board of Legal Specialization
Law Practice
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2017

"It's my understanding this product built by architect of much larger yet more stagnate competitor."

Comments: Peace of Mind. My information is secure and isn't going anywhere. It is always available to me. I have a very good rapport with my Houdini IT Department.

Pros: Versatility- This product intended for lean and mean firms. You don't need to have a Masters Degree in Computer Science, but it helps if you are somewhat computer savvy. There are features on this program that have been integrated in that even I haven't found time to master... yet (e.g., Quickbooks and Excel).
Comprehensive- Lower your IT overhead costs. These people know what they're doing. Your investment here means less investment in some IT guy sitting in a corner twiddling his or her thumbs. When they say 99.9% up-time, they mean it. This is an incredibly powerful time-keeping program, that has a very good overlap with document integration.
Customer Service- Usually only the occasional call, but they are ALWAYS there, and can walk you through any issues.

Cons: As with any newer product, there is going to be the inevitable growing pains. My favorite application integration was with the Outlook Add-in for e-mail. This is giving me hiccups at the moment. You are actually partnered with this vendor, so when rep can't figure this out, you have to evolve with the product limitations by creating a work-around (e.g., saving the e-mails manually to the file). I'm also a creature of habit, so I struggle with major platform updates. They are kind enough to leave the old platform running, and aren't demanding their clients evolve overnight. So now I am learning two different platforms.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2017
Dustin O.
  • Reviewed on 7/02/2017

"Mediocre Software that the Developers Like to Break and Blame on the User"

Comments: Generally speaking, the software offers everything you want in a practice management software. It does trust accounting, billing, general practice management, calendaring, e-mailing, and task management. However, every single one of these features is clunky and slow. The database constantly breaks and you lose information by clearing your cache and refreshing your page. The database will, occasionally delete or lose entries on its own but when you call tech support they blame you for it. Randomly, during updates, the developers decide that you should have been doing something (billing, trust accounting, etc.) their way and change the software to force you to do it that way in the future. Often, this breaks all of the entries that you put into the system in the past. For example, if a client had a carry over credit balance from a small overpayment; houdiniesq now doesn't use that in calculating the client's current balance. Many of the search features simply don't work correctly, particularly when trying to search for an invoice. You used to be able to print invoices when you generated them. Now, you have to go search for the invoices, after it is generated and on a search platform that doesn't operate properly, and then print them adding an entirely wasteful extra step to billing. Really, this software is a complete headache. The developers don't own up to these problems or offer solutions. They often don't answer the support phone line and seem to work limited hours. The price is on the lower end, although better companies are now competitive price-wise. The only reason I still have this software is because I don't have the time to move all of my data over to new software.

by LOGICBit on 7/03/2017

hey Dustin, thank you for the honest review.

We have been hard at work. A new update is coming that I think you will love. We have over 100 fixes and improvements throughout the App including but not limited to billing, boolean and elastic search support (google like queries against all tables and documents), and so much more.

The update will be available Wed March 8th (tomorrow). You don't have to do anything. The system will autoupdate for you.

If you experience any problems please don't hesitate to contact us Toll Free. We would love to hear form you. Especially since we have implemented many of your very own request Dustin.

If you ever experience a serious issue please contact us and ask to speak with Mark or Frank. They will insure your issue gets resolved asap with this new revision 2.0 Build 12.

Thanks again Dustin.

• Reviewed on 7/02/2017
Kelly M.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 8/03/2017

"Houdini 2.0 is a vast improvement over prior versions"

Comments: We unexpectedly updated to Houdini 2.0 so the difference was quite a shock, but we have found it to be much more user friendly than previous versions. The response time is also much faster when adding notes, contacts, events, and matters. We are only on day 3 here with version 2.0 but the ease of use is biggest improvement we could have asked Houdini for. Also, the customer service has been absolutely amazing. Since we had no warning of the upgrade from our system administrator, we were caught on our heels on a busy Monday morning; however, every time we called for help, which we did multiple times over the course of the day, we were given outstanding service and attention. I wish I could rate the customer support higher than 5 stars.

Pros: I'm not sure yet. So far, the speed is by far the best improvement. Version 1.9 would stall or take a long time to access contacts, events, and matters. So far, we have not experienced these delays with version 2.0.

Cons: It's difficult to multitask. If I am trying to schedule an event on the calendar and another phone call comes in, I cannot open anything else in Houdini without first finishing the event I was working on. In previous versions, we could leave the window open, take care of the incoming phone call, and then finish the event on the calendar. We also miss being able to access the contact record on the event to find the client's phone number from the calendar. This was especially important for confirming the appointments for the next day.

by LOGICBit on 11/03/2017

Kelly, thank you for your review. BY now you should have been updated to 2.0 build 12.

In Build 12 we now include event, matter and contact details when you hover over an appointment on the calendar.

We will fix the issue with Monday being the first day of the week. This si a bug. It seems to be stuck in euro display mode.

Build 12 has over 100 fixes and enhancements throughout the App. We hope your experience with this build helps you be more productive and helps you provide superior service to all your clients.

• Reviewed on 8/03/2017
Development Counsel
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 7/11/2017

"Very easy to use and great for managing my case load and process."

Comments: Organization and a sense of control over my case load. This software has really changed the way I track and work my files. I absolutely love it!

Pros: The ability to integrate with other programs and software. I am able to seamlessly work across outlook, adobe, and word, which makes document generation and calendaring a cinch. My favorite thing is the template creation and document generation, that has been a game changer.

Cons: Difficult to make changes to fields from the original Houdini version. The customization mode is a little clunky and arduous to use. I cannot print Ad-Hoc reports or my calendar.

• Reviewed on 7/11/2017
Jeff S.
Principal Consultant
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Does what it does better than the others..."

Comments: (Full disclosure: I am an INDEPENDENT legal practice management consultant who chooses which products I want to work with... and a HoudiniEsq consultant - among others.) HoudiniEsq is one of a few legal practice management products that actually gets it: it will do a lot of end-user concepts (custom forms, triggers, document management/generation) better than any other legal practice management product. It also does a lot of the administration concepts (true relational database; updates that work and don't force you to roll back because they don't install properly, flexibility to run in almost any environment) very well too. HoudiniEsq makes it easy to capture and bill time; it allows firms the ability to create and store data on custom forms that provide the firm with the necessary data in order to function efficiently; it is intuitive and continues to add new features that mean something to the user base, and not just something a marketing guy thought would be great to list on a brochure - heck I don't even know if they have a "marketing guy"! Mobility is probably it's strongest point: it can be accessed by a phone/tablet/laptop, and an iPhone app is in the works (currently it's biggest end-user request.) The list of what it doesn't do is a small list: besides the above-mentioned iPhone app, electronic billing is probably at the top. It continues to grow its list of end-user features, often because the developer listens to the requests that come directly from its users. And the price: FREE for solos? You cannot beat that deal. Add more users and pay more, but you are still paying for a product that works, and every time they make a product release the response from the user base is "Yes!" and not "So what? Does this stuff actually work?" Want to write a check and not deal with updates, backups and server updates - go with the SaaS version and pay monthly. If you still prefer the idea of your data residing on your servers in your office, then go with the On-premise version. Not all practice management programs offer both options. While not perfect (no software is), it ranks at the top of my list when clients look for legal practice management software.

Cliff A.
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2015

"It's been worth sticking with."

Comments: The Pros:
The price. The power and flexibility. The ability to integrate.
Continuous improvement. These guys are constantly working to make a better product. The support staff. I was a bit cranky with the way the whole flash problem went down, but I get the impression that was a significant stressor for Houdini, as well. They seem to have worked hard to overcome that, and since then have continued to provide "on the spot," "out of their way," profoundly dedicated service. The cons:
The learning curve is significant. Houdini is anything but plug and play. It takes significant time to get comfortable with the various modules, which are not always, and especially not at first, intuitive.
Integration ability generally limited to microsoft products. Would love to see the ability to integrate with something like libre office and Mozilla's Thunderbird (not sure if the coding time is worth it for Huodini, but I would love it.) Buggy - weird things happen from time to time, like already added events or contacts "disappearing" from a matter. They tend to reappear after one (or a few) restarts, or after a patch, but they keep me in constant fear of losing some important data. The way ledgers work could be much smoother. I hate having to generate a bill to give a discount, and then having to produce a statement to reflect the discount, and then give the client two sheets of paper with an explanatory letter because without an explanation it won't make much sense to the client. It can be even more painful when generating the statement brings up every matter I have handled for a client that is still open, even though I only want to provide 1 bill for one matter at the time. Overall, I stick with Houdini because it provides what I need, appears powerful enough to provide what I will require as I grow, and, most importantly, because it is constantly improving. Houdini appears genuinely interested in what its users want and is continually working to provide just that. Once a person gets over the learning curve, Houdini is hard to beat.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2015
William B.
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2010

"Cloud Computing? Houdiniesq is your solution."

Comments: I would recommend this product to anyone wanting to transition to cloud based practice management.

Pros: HoudiniEsq has the best and most responsive technical support I have ever encountered with any program or platform. HoudiniEsq works entirely inside of your browser so you can access it anywhere you have an Internet connection. For us smaller guys that mean no exchange server costs or problems with syncing. Also, Houdini is optimized for mobile phone browsers such as the iPhone. HoudiniEsq works a bit different than Time Matters in that everything is a billable "event." Even on your calendar you can view all calls, to do's, drafting ... anything you want can be viewed on your calendar or removed from view with the click of a button. Only want to see appointments with clients and court dates on the calendar, no problem, just a click away. The calendaring is powerful and different than any other calendaring program I have encountered or tested. It does take a bit of time to get used to, but when you do, it results in amazing control of your schedule and your matters.

Cons: Lack of a functioning document automation/assembly system and lack of quickbooks integration.

by LOGICBit on 6/02/2011

With the release of HoudiniESQ 1.7 our users have native integration with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Our team has been working on our Quickbooks link and Document Management and Automation. You can expect the QUickBooks integration to be pretty seamless.

• Reviewed on 8/11/2010
Lauren M.
Law Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2018

"User interface and experience lacking - nuts and bolts are there"

Pros: It does what you need it to do. It stores client information, documents, deadlines, etc. You can run reports. You can generate bills and track time.

Cons: The user interface is outdated and difficult to navigate at times. Updates will cause reports or features to stop working randomly.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2018
Kristen R.
Office Manager/Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"HoudiniEsq: Best Solution for Our Firm"

Comments: HoudiniEsq is easy to learn and use, and because it costs so much less than what we were using before, every user in our organization can have a seat, rather than just 3 of us as we had before. It syncs with Outlook and QuickBooks, and customer support is always free!

Pros: The fact that everyone in our firm can use it and enter their own time and calendars.

Cons: There are occasional problems with the way it integrates with Outlook and Quickbooks.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
Jeffrey M.
partner
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2017

"generally acceptable but some report and bill features are not user friendly"

Comments: Mostly time entries and reporting; we use a separate billing system.

Pros: The calendar shows work items at a glance which is convenient. You can change the time span of each item by moving the starting time or ending time of that item.

Cons: difficult to generate matter reports showing excel work narratives with time costs; this is important as we need to report to client regularly without billing. The matter number sometimes leaps and has to be manually adjusted each new matter is opened.

by LOGICBit on 28/12/2017

Thank you for your review Jeffrey.

Re: Matter Numbers jumping. Matter identifiers are customizable under the App settings matter tab. It is odd that you see matter numbers jumping. Technically this would be impossible so we would like to schedule a tech call so we can view your instance while you create a new matter to see what you are seeing.

Matter numbers are assigned once and can not be reused. IF a matter is created then deleted or started and not completed the index is used and the next index is assigned since mater id MUST be kept unique.

Please give us a call toll free. We would love to speak with you about what you are experiencing.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2017
Jennifer E.
Litigation Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2017

"Works well most of the time"

Pros: The ability to customize some fields within the software to specific file types, because not every personal injury file requires the same customization.

Cons: The ability to track documents and due dates for things that come in, such as discovery deadlines seems to not be there as previous users have said this was something that you could do.

• Reviewed on 8/11/2017
Paras D.
  • Reviewed on 3/01/2017

"Great Software...Great Learning Curve"

Comments: The Software is the best value on the market and is very intuitive and full featured. There is a steep learning curve, however after some time using the software you will find out how amazing this software can be: Whether Organizing your case Documents; Document automation, or Automated Tasks, this software is very robust. Additionally, the software does some things that other software do not do at all, such as the automatic billing for email function that is built into the Outlook add-in. I am very happy with this investment. One suggestion, though, they need to add a quick bill tab to every screen to capture billable time.

Pros: It is Robust and Full featured

Cons: Since upgrading to version 2.0 there is not a quick bill button to add billable time immediately. There is a workaround which requires using the timer, but that just adds two more steps for recording my billable time.

Stephanie S.
  • Reviewed on 6/03/2017

"Law Office"

Comments: Update is quick but missing some features and options that would make my life easier. I need to multi-task to do my job and I am not able to multi-task as well with the update. I also don't like how I cannot search my contacts.

by LOGICBit on 7/03/2017

hey Stephanie, thank you for the honest review.

Thanks again Stephanie.

• Reviewed on 6/03/2017
Matias P.
Legal counsel
Legal Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2016

"Functionality in progress"

Comments: Main features work well. However there are some important issues that need to be corrected. 1) In "Matters" we cannot get a list of cases in their order of arrival date (yes it does give you date order for the cases that have been last modified but this really isn't useful), What is needed is listing by arrival dates. One can make arrival date column in "Key Dates" but you can't list using it which sucks. Also you cannot get a lit of other "Key Dates" in Matters. If you can then please add these functions to "Matters" section as an option. These would be very useful features. 2) Sometimes it looses some of my cases especially if someone else has made the case and then appointed it to me. 3) the search field is usually not working. Sometimes it finds the words written to it but mainly it just runs for a while with no results. 4) We should be able to customize the names of some headings like district and county as we use these for different purposes 5) Some of the sections like "Project" never work 6) Something good: it lists activities etc. very nicely and that function is working well

by LOGICBit on 24/12/2016

!

• Reviewed on 23/12/2016
Michael H.
  • Reviewed on 6/11/2017

"Better than some. I still prefer Credenza Software, not supported anymore."

Comments: streamlined billing and case management.

Pros: I like the integration into outlook. I also like the fact that documents are automatically spooled into the case mapping.

Cons: I don't like having to individually select events and make them billable. I'd rather be able to mass associate that. Also, I don't like that events calendar on my google calendar after the fact. I would rather they work internally on the software.

• Reviewed on 6/11/2017
Anthony D.

"And I am a free user"

Comments: I have used others, most recently Amicus Attorney, and Houdini is a better product in almost every way. They also have a fairly extensive knowledge base, which is a great source for ideas and learning the program in general. Busy day, phones ringing, I am not sure what I did, but I completely chuffed my installation. In desperation I called for help. (1) I am still a free user, no staff. (2) I was making changes without a good back up, even though they warned me. (3) I had a trial, so not a lot of time to wait around. I sent an email, they called back (a couple of times) and they spent literally a couple of hours saving me from myself. Not so many companies will go the extra mile to save one from themselves especially after having failed to heed their explicit warnings. Thanks again!

Crystal W.

"The Magic of Houdini"

Comments: As a newly licensed, solo practioner, I was very excited to learn of Houdini's existence. When I first embarked on using the program, I thought, now I see why they named it Houdini. It was not very user friendly to me. I had a very difficult time maneuvering the system. So I would ask for more instructions for use for first timers and if there are differences in use for those with macs. There are so many other things going on for a newly licensed atty, everything is new. So it can be a deterrence to learn about a great exciting system, download it and not have any guidance as to how to use it and maximize that use. Overall, once you know how to use the system it is great, but be mindful of not making that a Houdini trick that you have to spend hours trying to master.

Ron W.
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 30/05/2012

"Awesome App! *****"

Comments: I love this app. It really helps me and my staff stay on top of all our cases. It has an uncanny ability to streamline our workflow. Everything I need to do is always just a click away. If its a more complex task I can create a automated workflow that completes the task for me.

Pros: So many but the best thing is I can create workflow automations. No other Cloud based App can do that and many of the old school desktop Legal Practice Management Apps can't.

Cons: Needs a better mobile app but help is on the way. The new mobile interface in beta is really good and works on my key devices such as the iPad, Android phone, my PC at the office and my Mac at home

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 30/05/2012
Madaline R.
Maritime Law Division Cheif
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2015

"Outstanding Support"

Comments: Our offices are separated by oceans not miles so a web based product made sense. Our team had their doubts at first as did I when we started our search for a complete legal case management system. We conducted many product reviews over the course of a year, requiring each company to demo their product using a supplied script of task and functions to perform during the demos. HoudiniEsq really stood out then and is a vital part of our organization today. For us the ability to customize the product really set this product apart from the pack. It has ben 7 months now and our staff couldn't be more pleased.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2015
David B.
attorney
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"How to save a day a month"

Comments: Switching from spreadsheets and paper billing to HoudiniEsq has saved literally a full day of work per month for my office. Implementing the system was simple, the learning curve was short, and although the reporting features and billing design options are still limited the efficiencies are undeniable - and the billing error rate has gone to near zero. When there have been issues customer service has been extremely responsive - and product improvements have been forthcoming with regularity.

Penelope B.
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2020

"Purchased in 2016. Tried to set it up. It never synced properly with GSuite and Quickbooks"

Pros: It never worked properly, so we after investing time and resources, we had to abandon it.
The company refused to refund the cost even though their customer service support admitted that the program failed to work properly.

Cons: It never worked properly, so we after investing time and resources, we had to abandon it.
It didn't sync properly with GSuite and Quickbooks.
It's automated billing was a nightmare. It added a lot of time, but it was based on the email subject line. So if there were 10 email exchanges under the same subject line, there would be 10 duplicative billing entries.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2020
Adam D.
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"Good Option for Small Firm"

Comments: Looking for practice management software was overwhelming to say the least. It is also hard to find options that you can test before you buy. Hudini was a good match for my firm because it allowed me to download it an test it with a single user for free. The configuration was a little bit complicated but the tech support was very helpful.

Mark M.
Managing Member
  • Reviewed on 2/05/2014

"Horrible Customer Service"

Comments: We tried to use this but were constantly on phone with tech support. When we pointed out deficiencies it was met with a angry responses. We asked to try it a gain one year later thinking they would have worked out the kinks. Instead of getting another shot Frank the owner emailed me and said he would not set us up again. Presumably because we were to intense for their software and it's flaws.

by LOGICBit on 24/03/2015

Mark, following instructions is important to a successful 5 minute no hassle install. Our recording of the call shows that you were agitated and felt our support staff were beneath you when they tried to help. This is the reason our CEO did not provide you with another account.

• Reviewed on 2/05/2014
Anthony P.
Law Clerk
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Great Concept, But Needs Work"

Comments: The concept of Houdini ESQ, and the fact that it is free for solo practitioners, really sets it apart from the rest of the field. With that said, the interface is pretty easy to navigate, however, the functions don't always respond. In particular, I found CalendarRules integration to almost never work. Also the cloud based program does not do enough to make me feel secure. Also it is difficult to convert to if you do not use one of the practice management programs it is compatible with. Overall it is a good product that has the capacity to overtake the market if it can stay affordable, increase security, and improve the ease of transitioning.

Wai kit L.
  • Reviewed on 3/01/2017

"User-friendly software which makes things more organized and efficient"

Comments: I have been used this software for several months and I am satisfied with its functions. I recommend small-to-medium enterprises to definitely use this software.