• Overall
    4.1 /5
    3.9 /5
    4.4 /5

About HoudiniESQ

Integrates with LawPay, Word, Excel, Outlook, Evernote, QuickBooks, Acrobat, Calendar/Court Rules, WordPerfect & Google.

Learn more about HoudiniESQ

Nathan D.
Managing Attorney, Certified Specialist, California State Board of Legal Specialization
Law Practice
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2017

"It's my understanding this product built by architect of much larger yet more stagnate competitor."

Comments: Peace of Mind. My information is secure and isn't going anywhere. It is always available to me. I have a very good rapport with my Houdini IT Department.

Pros: Versatility- This product intended for lean and mean firms. You don't need to have a Masters Degree in Computer Science, but it helps if you are somewhat computer savvy. There are features on this program that have been integrated in that even I haven't found time to master... yet (e.g., Quickbooks and Excel).
Comprehensive- Lower your IT overhead costs. These people know what they're doing. Your investment here means less investment in some IT guy sitting in a corner twiddling his or her thumbs. When they say 99.9% up-time, they mean it. This is an incredibly powerful time-keeping program, that has a very good overlap with document integration.
Customer Service- Usually only the occasional call, but they are ALWAYS there, and can walk you through any issues.

Cons: As with any newer product, there is going to be the inevitable growing pains. My favorite application integration was with the Outlook Add-in for e-mail. This is giving me hiccups at the moment. You are actually partnered with this vendor, so when rep can't figure this out, you have to evolve with the product limitations by creating a work-around (e.g., saving the e-mails manually to the file). I'm also a creature of habit, so I struggle with major platform updates. They are kind enough to leave the old platform running, and aren't demanding their clients evolve overnight. So now I am learning two different platforms.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2017
Bruce G.

"Review of HoudiniESQ"

Comments: Pros: Platform independent and on-premise and cloud options. Features and included plugins Cloud services integration Browser interface. Scalable licensing. Multiple supported back-end database choices. Opportunity to architect legitimate HA and DR solutions. Cons: Adobe Flash as a front end is somewhat of a non sequitur. My experience with support has been measured in days. I've had to send follow up emails after no response for 3+ days to hopefully keep a support request alive. I'm currently on day 9 waiting for a response. I don't necessarily expect a solution, but I do expect a response; especially after multiple follow up emails. I've done some testing with "short codes" but the product feels a bit reliant on the mouse to navigate the interface and input data. The document storage architecture appears to only offer a single folder approach when storing files and templates. A nested physical folder structure is preferred and common in firms. Logical folders by matter, case type and doc type would be an advantage when dealing with many templates and files. This might also exclude the need to manually (re)assign and maintain the metadata assignments of all documents via the gui interface. Finally, the doc management approach requires full commitment to document access and management through the user interface and the provided plugins. Integration with a content management system or a scanning and imaging solution while possible via ECF, is a non-starter due to the required manual cloning of documents into IRIS The API while advertised as simple and easy to use appears to not have much if any documentation or reference material to support very simple proof of concept integrations Finally, the reputation of HoudiniESQ on the street is "it's one-man shop". Overall Impression: My overall impression of the product is good. I like the platform and the enterprise approach. The coverage of specific and general needs of many different law firms is impressive. Integrations are there for targeted solutions like Google,Dropbox,Evernote but integrations outside of those select few seem dependent upon the development pipeline. The full commitment required to IRIS with little to no opportunity to bring enterprise doc management/workflow automation to the solution is a little unnerving. Generally speaking the feel of the platform is constrained primarily by the UI and doc management.

Andrew H.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Great Software with a Few Speed-Bumps"

Comments: I have used Houdini Esq on the Mac for several months now as a solo practitioner. I use it primarily for case management and invoicing. The great thing about this software is that the interface just makes sense, and it is feature rich and comprehensive. I have case and event management, document templates, and trust management and invoicing all in one place. In other words, I don't have to switch between multiple programs to get the job done, which is something I love, and it isn't hard to pick up . . . once you get it going. That's the speed bump. First, my set-up is probably not conventional. I have a single laptop, with a main user account, and a secondary user account that I use for my law practice. When I first installed Houdini, if I started my computer, logged into my law practice user account, and tried to open Houdini, in any web browser, I would get an error saying that the local host was not found. I finally discovered that I would first have to start up the file "HoudiniESQ_start" to fix this error. Additionally, I don't think that this install is doing the automatic backups as advertised, but I use Time Machine, so I'm not too worried. Second, I wish that there was more control over invoices. I would like to be able to list the start and stop times for events, the option to include tasks that are not billed, and include my logo at top. However, the controls for these are limited-to-nonexistant. Finally, there are some strange quirks with the interface. For example, sometimes I can't get menus to close unless I close the whole window containing the menu. Also, sometimes my events won't show up in the Dashboard unless I go to another tab and back. If they made a shift away from the browser-based interface, I would not complain at all. These are my main complaints, and none of them are deal breakers for me, especially when otherwise you are getting a comprehensive, easy to use software that should be enough for any legal professional. If you are on a Mac, it is just about the only real locally-based client management software worth considering.

Arnold W.
Law Practice, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2017

"I have watched grow , making really important improvements."

Comments: Complete office management, including file organization and billing.

Pros: Program is based upon the case, as it should be. Support is outstanding. It anticipates what you are looking for. I have not yet sent emails via HoudiniEsq. and am looking forward to using it.

Cons: I wish that phone calls were a separate category of input, instead of added to events. Would like to see preview of docs as I review them. I am still catching up with changes in billing.

Kristen R.
Office Manager/Paralegal
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"HoudiniEsq: Best Solution for Our Firm"

Comments: HoudiniEsq is easy to learn and use, and because it costs so much less than what we were using before, every user in our organization can have a seat, rather than just 3 of us as we had before. It syncs with Outlook and QuickBooks, and customer support is always free!

Pros: The fact that everyone in our firm can use it and enter their own time and calendars.

Cons: There are occasional problems with the way it integrates with Outlook and Quickbooks.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
Jennifer E.
Litigation Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2017

"Works well most of the time"

Pros: The ability to customize some fields within the software to specific file types, because not every personal injury file requires the same customization.

Cons: The ability to track documents and due dates for things that come in, such as discovery deadlines seems to not be there as previous users have said this was something that you could do.

Joanne L.
Paralegal
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2017

"Great Software"

Comments: HoudiniEsq is a great for case management, document management and billing! Technical support is extremely helpful and greatly assists with making the software tailored for our firm.

Pros: Ease of use - very user friendly.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2017
Adam S.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Great product. Wonderful service"

Comments: I started my law practice a little over a year ago, and have been using HoudiniESQ since the beginning. I learned my way around the program by watching the tutorial videos on the main website and reading the forums. Because I run a small practice, often times I will bill out to my clients based on their individual needs, and while other programs weren't able to customize client matters based on those needs, Houdini could. The invoices and statements look professional, and billing and time keeping is a breeze. Especially if you bill in tenths like I do. One thing I would like to see is an iPad app that I could take to court with me. I definitely battled with the idea of using a software that had been on the market longer than Houdini, but Im glad I stuck with my decision. There have been numerous times when Ive needed to call customer service, and believe it or not, a real live person picks up the phone, and they answer every question you might have (even if it's ridiculous). I have to say, as someone who started a law practice right out of school, Houdiniesq definitely made certain aspects of running this type of business easier. I have recommended this product to my colleugues, and will continue doing so.

Abraham K.
ATTORNEY
  • Reviewed on 8/11/2010

"ABRAHAM KLEINMAN"

Comments: HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Pros: PRACTICE MANAGEMENT WITHOUT THE MANAGEMENT

Cons: DOES NOT YET HAVE ITS OWN WORD PROCESSOR BUT DOES LINK TO MICROSOFT WORD.

by LOGICBit on 6/02/2011

Although we provide several plugins for many popular products used in the legal profession, many of our clients love the fact that they don't ever have to leave HoudiniESQ to get their work accomplished.

When we architected the software we had one major requirement, you must be able to grab any computer or device with a Internet connection and have the tools you need to get the job done at your fingertips.

This is why we include integrated Document Management with full text search including email, and email attachments, a integrated email client, integrated Google Scholar, integrated billing and invoicing, integrated document and email templates, and so much more.

We think you should never be without your tools that is why we have totally revamped our inline editor and will continue to improve upon it with every new release.

• Reviewed on 8/11/2010
Mark R.
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2016

"Fantastic Product and Great Customer Service"

Comments: I am a solo attorney who just began using Houdini. I have experience with Abacus and other case management software. I have found that Houdini is quite intuitive, flexible and practical for my law firm. On top of that, the customer service far surpasses all the other support for the programs I have used in the past. Kevin answered all of my questions and was able to walk me through issues that I assumed would be incredibly difficult. He was great! I highly recommend setting up a conference call for an initial training before you get too far along with setting up your practice so that you can take full advantage of the program.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2016
Pamela P.
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"It's not an illusion, Houdini really is great"

Comments: Practice management software for solos often means compromising on features for the sake of affordability, but not with Houdini. As a solo, I don't use every feature, but I'm able to set my practice up so that growth can be accommodated without having to migrate to a new system. Houdini has made my workflow better and I can easily review every case and its status in minutes. There are tons of tutorial videos available that make it easy to learn new features in small time blocks, and it is so very worth the time to learn. You'll not only feel more in control with Houdini, you'll BE more in control of your practice.

Amanda B.
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2015

"Great for Bugdet, Not for Time"

Comments: I downloaded HoudiniESQ after opening my own firm six months ago. I appreciated the ability to download it immediately without having to go through a service rep, the fact that it was free to a solo like me, and that there were plenty of instructional videos to accompany the download. However, the system just did not work for me. No matter how many instructional videos I watched and how much time I invested into figuring it out, it didn't make sense. Nothing was intuitive. I have been a practicing attorney for seven years, so I have worked with case management systems before - it's not that I don't understand the concept, I just don't understand Houdini. After a few weeks of trying to figure it out, I gave up and went with a paid version.

by LOGICBit on 24/03/2015

Amanda, we have free support, free training, webinars, a 1,000 page knowledge base, 100 videos and on the spot video conferences available to all our users. The concepts in HoudiniEsq follow best practices but we do agree that there is a learning curve.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2015
Nicole M.
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"Law Practice Management Software"

Comments: HoudiniESQ is a great software as is addresses all the issues that would face a law firm or a solo practitioner. I especially like the work automation function, the ability to integrate other software like Quickbooks. However I wish we were able to access the software with a mobile as a single user since it would make it easier to update files on the go. Overall I think that it is great. Customer service is awesome, they are extremely patient and are usually quite knowledgeable about the in and outs of the software.

Sharleen T.
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2015

"Houdini Review"

Comments: Overall I really liked Houdiniesq. The knowledge base answered most of my questions and the video tutorials were very helpful. My biggest and only real issue with the software was that a lot of features were not Mac or iOS compatible. While I have access to both PCs and Macs I do have a strong preference for the Apple operating system and I only own apple mobile devices so my use was limited.

• Reviewed on 18/01/2015
Luke H.
Business Manager
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Luke Harmon Business Manager; Law Office of Benjamin S. Harmon"

Comments: Like all programs new to our staff, there is a learning curve to this software. I feel it has well served our purpose within our small three attorney office, and allows the ability to grow. Staff members are all able to use the software for there individual job purposes and I am able to better track and evaluate our production and limit the number of stale matters.

Susan T.
Managing Member
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2015

"Great bones but not ready for primetime with my firm"

Comments: Pros: it is clear you guys are serious about creating a good product and doing right; flexibility for those of us who are willing to take the time to customize; guys were great when I got them on the phone Cons: integrations with Microsoft and Quickbooks tended to lose their "links", so we were redoing the mapping fairly regularly; configuration was difficult in that it required many steps and alterations of many tabs; sometimes difficult to get someone on the phone and the fix often required a remote programmer/dba who never ultimately fixed the problem. Overall, I think the software is well on its way to be a great solution for law firms. It wasn't quite there for us.

Jay J.
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2015

"Initial Thoughts on HoudiniESQ"

Comments: On the whole, HoudiniESQ seems to be a full featured practice management platform that covers the bulk of the daily requirements for my solo law office. It handles calendaring, billing, contact management, and other aspects necessary for my practice.

Raymond P.
  • Reviewed on 27/12/2016

"Excellent Interface"

Comments: It just amazing to use. easy to Navigate, It have Very good User Interface. The navigation is Too user-friendly.

• Reviewed on 27/12/2016
Darcy D.
foundwr

"Good overall product"

Comments: I would have used it more but the mobile phone set up was too time consuming so I just never looked any further into it.

Zachary P.
attorney

"Affordable solution"

Comments: I've enjoyed Houdini. My only complaint is that it feels outdated at times.

Nik F.

"Great product"

Comments: Really great & easy to use product whis has done us proud

Daryl C.

"Great software.."

Comments: Have been using Houdini for awhile now and love it.

Dustin O.
  • Reviewed on 7/02/2017

"Mediocre Software that the Developers Like to Break and Blame on the User"

Comments: Generally speaking, the software offers everything you want in a practice management software. It does trust accounting, billing, general practice management, calendaring, e-mailing, and task management. However, every single one of these features is clunky and slow. The database constantly breaks and you lose information by clearing your cache and refreshing your page. The database will, occasionally delete or lose entries on its own but when you call tech support they blame you for it. Randomly, during updates, the developers decide that you should have been doing something (billing, trust accounting, etc.) their way and change the software to force you to do it that way in the future. Often, this breaks all of the entries that you put into the system in the past. For example, if a client had a carry over credit balance from a small overpayment; houdiniesq now doesn't use that in calculating the client's current balance. Many of the search features simply don't work correctly, particularly when trying to search for an invoice. You used to be able to print invoices when you generated them. Now, you have to go search for the invoices, after it is generated and on a search platform that doesn't operate properly, and then print them adding an entirely wasteful extra step to billing. Really, this software is a complete headache. The developers don't own up to these problems or offer solutions. They often don't answer the support phone line and seem to work limited hours. The price is on the lower end, although better companies are now competitive price-wise. The only reason I still have this software is because I don't have the time to move all of my data over to new software.

by LOGICBit on 7/03/2017

hey Dustin, thank you for the honest review.

We have been hard at work. A new update is coming that I think you will love. We have over 100 fixes and improvements throughout the App including but not limited to billing, boolean and elastic search support (google like queries against all tables and documents), and so much more.

The update will be available Wed March 8th (tomorrow). You don't have to do anything. The system will autoupdate for you.

If you experience any problems please don't hesitate to contact us Toll Free. We would love to hear form you. Especially since we have implemented many of your very own request Dustin.

If you ever experience a serious issue please contact us and ask to speak with Mark or Frank. They will insure your issue gets resolved asap with this new revision 2.0 Build 12.

Thanks again Dustin.

• Reviewed on 7/02/2017
Development Counsel
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 7/11/2017

"Very easy to use and great for managing my case load and process."

Comments: Organization and a sense of control over my case load. This software has really changed the way I track and work my files. I absolutely love it!

Pros: The ability to integrate with other programs and software. I am able to seamlessly work across outlook, adobe, and word, which makes document generation and calendaring a cinch. My favorite thing is the template creation and document generation, that has been a game changer.

Cons: Difficult to make changes to fields from the original Houdini version. The customization mode is a little clunky and arduous to use. I cannot print Ad-Hoc reports or my calendar.

• Reviewed on 7/11/2017
Jeff R.
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2011

"Best Solo Management Tool"

Comments: HoudiniESQ is by far the most feature rich law practice management tool for solo firms. I am very impressed with the robustness of the application and the ability to maximize billable hours and tracking. I initially installed HoudineESQ because it was a 'free' (for Solo Firms) management tool and I was looking for a system to merge case related information. After a few hours I immediately knew that this was a keeper. Setup was incredibly simple and I can access Houdini on any internet connected computer, tablet or smart phone. I can now keep my Google calendar (using Outlook and Google Sync) updated from within Houdini (and vice versa), client communication, and documents all in one place. Using the downloadable plugins I can now merge Houdini data fields into my own custom documents in Microsoft Office. (Huge time saver!) Also, Houdini provides a way to keep clients updated using Remote Client Access (RCA) that allows the client to login to Houdini and review their case.

Pros: It allows me to manage my cases from just one application that allows all aspects of the case to be housed under one umbrella. (Emails, document archive, document creation from templates, integration with Microsoft Office, billing & BIRT reports.)

Cons: I would like to be able to 'customize' some of the client communication forms to my liking. (ie Invoice layout, client email notification for RCA.) I would also like to have pre-made BIRT reports and a better billing / collection management module.

• Source: GetApp