• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.3 /5

About Mavenlink

Named leading project management solution by Gartner. "Mavenlink is my go-to for project management" - Forbes

Learn more about Mavenlink

Brendan M.
Associate
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"Good system but some frustrating issues"

Comments: Useful overall, but the more time I spend with it the more I realize it is missing some key functionality that would save a lot of time. It's much more difficult to update a project in Mavenlink than past systems I've used, and I think there are some beneficial tweaks that could be made

Pros: From an ease of use standpoint, time entry and project creation is fairly straightforward. It's also nice to have access to so many reporting features, although I imagine that's even more valued by the leadership team rather than staff.

Cons: Three major issues stand out to me and my colleagues: 1- the software is very slow at times, and the more time I spend making edits to a project the longer it takes. In some cases, the lag is so bad that a task that should take 10 minutes ends up taking 30 since I wait so long for the system respond. The more tasks and individuals assigned to a project, the worse it is. Customer service suggested I delete my cache, but this was a temporary and fairly ineffective solution 2- It'd be great to have a simple place where I can see exactly how many hours a team member has on a project. Right now, we can only see time assigned to individual tasks, and then need to calculate the total manually 3- When tasks get extended or shortened, it'd be great to have a way to have Mavenlink automatically distribute time accordingly. For example, if I have 1 hour assigned for a 1-week long task, it'd be nice if I could automatically change this to 30min/week if that task were extended to being 2 weeks long. I know time can move automatically if the gantt is updated, but that only works if the task stays the same duration and hasn't started yet. Other systems offer this feature

Andy H.
ERP Cloud Practice Director

"Getting better"

Comments: Nice tool with powerful reporting that needs significant improvement on usability.

Pros: Robust reporting, integration to NetSuite, hierarchical team management, Activity feed

Cons: Ease of use needs significant improvement. Needs user configurable workflows and fields. User roles and security have no flexibility. Interface and reporting designed by someone who never has to use the application to run their day.

Gene C.
Vice President
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"Mavenlink is a useful tool"

Comments: Good

Pros: Customization of task lists, project fields, etc.

Cons: Gantt Schedule (hard to display), Reporting (albeit powerful, application for creating reports is not user-friendly in the slightest)

Kendra S.
Director of Sales and Marketing
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2017

"Great Project Management Tool"

Comments: We've been using MavenLink for over a year now and we are constantly learning new and better ways to utilise all the tools it has to offer. We use it as our core method of communication with our clients, it helps to have all the information in one place. The Time tracking tool is easy to use and we are hoping to take full advantage of the Resource Allocation and Gantt chart in the near future

Pros: - So many options and ways to customise each feature
- Time tracking tool is very easy to use, our team prefers it over what we have had in the past
- Custom reporting, especially weekly project reports, have upped our client communication game. Our Clients appreciate the extra level of transparency and it has helped us prevent a lot of surprises when the invoice is sent out.
- Resource Allocation and Gantt chart really help when it comes to Project Planning.

Cons: - It's really difficult to see WHO is responsible for a task if multiple people are assigned to it. This is a problem when you are looking at a project and want to see who is responsible for what from 30,000 feet. Instead, you need to go to that specific task and read through the comments to see where it stands. There are a few workarounds for it, but then all involved extra work and monitoring to make sure everyone using the system is doing so correctly.
- There doesn't seem to be a way to edit a comment once you post it
- You can't customise the status options for the different tasks, so something is either in progress, not started, needs information, or completed. It doesn't really let you customise it to follow your workflows.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2017
Tristan D.
Director Of Technical Services
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2018

"Our Next-Generation Project Management Tool"

Comments: Our overall experience has been wonderful over the past few years. We were able to enable our PM team to become more metrics and data-driven, expanding their capabilities. Change Orders are a big business process that we solved by using Mavenlink. Approval and communication have been GREATLY streamlined! Before, we were managing change orders through written communication and supporting documentation, but now we are able to have the discussion in project meetings, then pass through the Change Order approval as a budget change and there is an affirmative action on their part. It's great!

Pros: The activity dashboard is the best part of Mavenlink. A feed that allows you to keep track of official communications and notes is perfect, plus it keeps clients involved. The API is also very strong and allows us to generate reports FAR beyond what is offered by Mavenlink. Our ability to manage projects and people has greatly increased due to the features that have been implemented since we switched to Mavenlink.

Cons: The Gantt chart needs a lot of work. The interface is slow and clunky, plus it is not a great view for the executives and sponsors, visually speaking. The purpose of this chart is not really to "manage" the project, but instead show a high level overview of everything. There is currently no great way to show this to execs and sponsors. There needs to be a better mobile experience as well. We need a fully functional way to log time, complete tasks, post activity and generally manage projects from Android and iOS.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2018
Jessica H.
Graphic Design
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2015

"Mavenlink for small business!"

Pros: Coming from a large tech company, we built most of our project applications in house. After starting with a small business back in November, I spent my first couple of weeks finding the right tool to fit the projects that we manage. Most of the tools we found had something we liked and a lot that was overkill for a small company like us. Mavenlink has several product offerings that cater to different-sized businesses. For example, a lot of other products have an 'enterprise edition' that is expensive for only 3-5 users and is overkill (employee timesheets, etc), however, if we were to downgrade to their lower edition we would lose project essential tools like time-tracking and budget management. Mavenlink's 'professional' offering has everything we need aside from an appointment calendar. However it does integrate with my Google calendar! As a small company, we are able to assign out tasks and see where the project stands at every moment with budget tracking, time tracking, and current priority. Their chat support is also very helpful.

Cons: The fact that you cannot pay month-to-month and have to commit to a year is a bit disheartening for a small company, but we spent lots of time trying it out to make sure it's what we wanted and it has been great so far. I was also disappointed/ confused on the way their users work. You pay for a set amount of users, however, you can add outside users to individual projects as a part of the company and they have access to track time, etc. When we asked support about this they seemed very confused and told us we'd have to pay for more users so we stopped doing that. However, I don't think we'd actually be charged if we did it that way since those 'users' on individual projects don't show up under the user management section.

• Reviewed on 29/01/2015
Founder & President
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2016

"WRIKE to MAVENLINK USER"

Comments: Used Wrike for ~8 months and moved to Mavenlink over a year ago. In write you can't track time and expenses. The wrike issue tracking isn't great too. Before moving to Mavenlink, I looked at ~12+ project management tools. It's a pain to move platforms. So we didn't want to make the wrong move. There are so many tools out there. For us, a big priority was being able to track time and projects all in one place. Mavenlink does that and more. It's an awesome tool esp. for design teams and if a lot of your team is virtual.

Pros: - Time tracking integration. Don't have to use a third party tool.
- Smart project task management.
- Easy to track if "to do" is a "task" or an "issue" (very helpful for website projects where you have a TON of issues to deal with).
- Easy to move tasks around and see the overall items you're working on.
- Google docs integration.
- You can track conversations all in one feed-- on more email.
- You can respond via email.

Cons: - So many features. I don't use all of them.
- They add on cool features... but want you to pay for them.
- Expensive -- but worth it when you're managing a team and don't want to login to a ton of applications.
- No dropbox integration.
- Takes awhile to get used too.
- You can't rename the issue or task items. For example, sometimes I want to change the status title from "needs info" to "client review" -- and I can't edit the status (I could do this in Wrike).

• Reviewed on 25/10/2016
Kelsey S.
Director of Production
Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2020

"MavenLink for the Win"

Comments: We really love MavenLink and especially love working with a company who is constantly evolving and taking their clients feedback and evolving.

Pros: We needed a unified system that did: task tracking, budget tracking, project schedules, time entry and resource management. MavenLink nails it in those arenas! Finally we have a tool that doesn't require another 15 tools!

Cons: There are a lot of features and options for how to do things, and not enough "how to" videos that their competitors have.

• Reviewed on 11/09/2020
Vice President
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2016

"Great Product to Bring the Team Together"

Comments: Since our startup we've used basic spreadsheet tools to capture and analyze data. It was possible to generate project metrics and profitability, but the process was cumbersome. That information is just a click away now. We've also eliminated much of the possibility of our employees entering time to the wrong codes with the task assignment functions.

Pros: Our organization includes some office staff, but is mostly made up of remote employees on our client's project sites. Mavenlink has given us a great tool for communicating with our team, as well as capturing time and expense entries via the Cloud. Our employees really like the interface and the ability to log time and expense from their mobile devices. Also, we've found the online workspace to be of great value in transmitting and archiving information and files. Our implementation included support from Laura Pierce and her BIASS team. Laura led us thru integrating our processes with the capabilities of the tool via a weekly meeting. Action items were identified and quickly addressed. Laura was always there to assist with answering questions and being a sounding board for my ideas. It was also a neat experience to have the BIASS team use the Mavenlink tool to setup and manage the BIASS project.

Cons: Most of the opportunities I see with the tool could be considered enhancements to the time and expense processing function and invoicing processes. These include: * More flexibility in the Admin's abilities to review, edit and approve project charges in the invoicing cycle would be helpful. *The ability to provide greater detail of expense charges on the invoice (which is a current action item with Mavenlink for us), and * The ability to push transactions that are not time and expense entries, such as taxes, unit bill amounts, etc. to QuickBooks would be helpful.

• Reviewed on 15/01/2016
Viviam A.
COO
Research, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Mavenlink experience"

Pros: In one place I have tasks, wall to talk with the team and project gantt.

Cons: Have to pay by collaborators. The price is very high.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Dylan P.
Digital Marketing Content Specialist
Insurance, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2017

"Top-tier team collaboration tool"

Pros: Since I was hired a little more than a year ago, Mavenlink has been an integral part of how my team and I work on projects. Mavenlink's built-in modules have made it easy for team members to leave feedback on project deliverables. The platform also provides an archive of project deliverables, making it easy for team members to upload and download any given aspect of a job, from images to text documents. Mavenlink's task tracker also helps team members prioritize and stay on schedule. I would highly recommend Mavenlink for any digital marketing group.

Cons: Trying to find something I dislike about Mavenlink is actually sort of a challenge. Email notifications can get to be a little much, but those can be adjusted in users' profile settings.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2017
Yvette J.
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2019

"Reliable project management at a fair price"

Comments: We are able to manage multiple projects among many people and stay on track. Our clients appreciate the accurate status reports we can provide using Mavenlink.

Pros: We rely heavily on the software's built-in time management features to keep projects within budget. I also appreciate their responsiveness when we have a problem.

Cons: The billing process could be improved to mesh even more smoothly with Quickbooks.

• Reviewed on 14/08/2019
Aaron F.
Accessibility Engineer
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2020

"Reliable application but not a joy to use"

Pros: It's stable and reliable. Mavenlink has never been down. I also like that it has the capacity to store all the workflow information. A person may not know how to find it but it is in the system somewhere.

Cons: It's not easy to tell the deadline for tasks or the amount of hours that can be billed for the project. I also don't like how the messages are displayed. Maybe present them as speech bubbles. I don't like Slack but Mavenlink could be a bit more joyful. I also resent the constant pointless marketing emails from Mavenlink. Seriously what is the engagement on those? Zoom, Slack, Microsoft Teams, no other application sends me so much email. The color scheme is also boring. It's not very bold. The blues are light. The grays are light. Whenever I use Mavenlink, it reminds me that I'm a cog. I also don't like how one enters their timesheet. Workday is a better interface.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2020
P. andrew E.
Lead Marketing Strategist
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2018

"Good tool but there are better options for cheaper"

Pros: Mavenlink is a good project management tool and I enjoyed using it for several years.
It's great at keeping track of tasks for just about any business.
You can have multiple sub-layers of tasks.
There is built-in time-tracking available.
You can invoice from the program when tied to 3rd-party invoicing tools (like QuickBooks)

Cons: The main con is that it's very expensive compared to very similar tools (that are arguably better performing).
You have to pay for every user (even freelancers), which doesn't make sense in today's market.
The design is a bit behind many competitors like Teamwork and Asana.

• Reviewed on 27/09/2018
Tim P.
Accounting
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2016

"Experienced IT Professional"

Pros: Does exactly what it sets out to achieve - provides a collaborative project management environment that hits all the right buttons. It has improved our project control and reporting and allowed us to engage our Clients. We stopped using Clarizen as soon as we found Mavenlink and are now weening ourselves and our clients off Basecamp. Mavenlink covers both deep PM features and functionality with an ease of use that allows clients to see what is happening without need to get involved with the 'how'. Whilst the product isn't 100% perfect - it is heads above other products that I have used and reviewed.

Cons: Needs a company/team calendar function. You need to be able to block out users absence / holidays / etc. easily - and Mavenlink doesn't handle that without having to set up an 'absence' project.
GANTT / Project views - need to be able to save your views.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2016
Senior Project Manager
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/09/2019

"Solid tool for integrated project management"

Comments: Mavenlink solves a common workplace problem: too many tools and platforms to worry about. Its integration is great.

Pros: By far the best part of Mavenlink is its all-in-one nature. Having time tracking, financial reporting, task assignment/management all in one place is beautiful!

Cons: It definitely took a little getting used to. As a project manager, I found it fairly intuitive, yet my colleagues in Creative and Development found it hard to adjust to.

• Reviewed on 6/09/2019
Caitlin F.
Content Manager
501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2018

"Great PM Software"

Comments: Mavenlink is a great tool if it makes sense for your company's budget. I'm not part of the decision making about purchases so I can't speak to the cost, but it seems mid level compared to some other PM tools.

Pros: Mavenlink is great for collaborative work and is very easy to use. I picked it up right away as a new hire and rely on it to communicate with members of my team at all stages of project management from initial concepting through the review and launch process. I absolutely love it for time tracking so I can see which projects I spend the most time on.

Cons: It would be nice if Mavenlink had a mobile app with push notifications. As far as I know, it has a mobile optimized version of the web for use on the go, but a dedicated app would be great.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2018
Amir D.
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2017

"Best project management tool for our firm"

Comments: Employee and project time and budget management.

Pros: User friendly interface, easy to implement, great time tracking tool, project budget control, best access level management, and so on...
We tried at least three other PSA and PPM tools and Mavenlink provided the best value. Their support and training programs have been outstanding even compare to some big brand names in the tech industry.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2017
Co-Founder and COO
  • Reviewed on 25/04/2018

"Project Management and Accounting Solution"

Comments: It simplified our workflow and allowed us to keep projects moving forward.

Pros: Our team used it to track complicated software projects which had many different contractors. It seamlessly integrated into Quickbooks which made invoicing and billing easy. I liked the different permission levels we could offer to our various users (clients, consultants, devs, etc).

Cons: There are a lot of different features which means there is a learning curve. The layout is intuitive but it will take some time to become comfortable.

• Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Gary G.
President and CEO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"Enterprise Solution for Small Business"

Pros: Mavenlink is a project management tool that has help formalize our internal processes for project management. The real time project metrics are something that has helped us plan accordingly.

Cons: We wish the integration with Salesforce and email was more robust.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Mustafa H.
  • Reviewed on 2/10/2020

"Mavenlink review"

Pros: The software is easy to use and intuitive. It has all features easily accessible and provides a one stop shop to manage projects. Linking all project workspaces together and providing views to portfolios gives a decent understanding of the projects across the organization.

Cons: Reporting on projects is not well embedded especially status reports and project Gantts. The dependency management can be improved on the Gantt view. Columns need to be made customizable on the task and the Gantt view.

• Reviewed on 2/10/2020
Project Coordinator
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Good Software with potential"

Comments: The chat feature is awesome if you have an easy fix. However, you are assigned a Client Success Manager for the more difficult requests. Overall, its pretty user friendly.

Pros: I like the time tracking feature the most about Mavenlink. Each employee must choose a project and the specific milestone they want to put time to in order to enter it on their timesheet.

Cons: I do not like that there you have to use "Groups" as where you put the client info. There is no quick click from the project to the client "group" page nor vice versa. It seems a bit clunky.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Marvin J.
SVP - Digital
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2020

"Great tool for day to day task management and project planning!"

Pros: Mavenlink is easy to use and the interface is well designed. I use it daily to manage tasks and projects, as well as resources and it's been making the day to day management extremely easy.

Cons: When projects have a lot of tasks associated with them it can slow down quite a bit and be a bit frustrating to drag tasks around.

• Reviewed on 25/09/2020
Jacquelin F.
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2015

"Mavenlink Review"

Pros: Mavenlink has just about everything you need for successful project management. I manage roughly 30 projects at a time. Mavenlink is one of the only platforms that cleanly consolidates the progress/action of each of the projects in a clean dashboard.
Additionally, as a vendor, Mavenlink's webinars have been helpful with getting up to speed with every new feature they roll out.

Cons: This is the same as above. Mavenlink has so many features that its easy to lose focus or want to change how you have a project set up. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The mobile app / site is not that user friendly and lacks a handful of features.

• Reviewed on 26/05/2015
Chris B.
Copywriter
Accounting
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2016

"Intuitive, flexible and holistic"

Pros: The folks at Mavenlink have clearly thought every possible eventuality faced by a user on their platform – most of the time, it's a bit like they're in your head and understand what you want to do. Which is nice – the product allows me to track time in multiple ways, and I don't feel too restricted.
Editing time entries is also quick and easy.

Cons: Though the demo videos/webinars provided by Mavenlink are helpful, there aren't any guided walkthroughs for when you use the system as a new user. So if you don't put in the time and effort to find your way around, this could be off-putting (at least for some). Little hints, tips, and highlights of things easily missed could be really helpful, especially as (for some new users) there's already a lot of information to digest.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2016