Affinity Designer Reviews

4.7 (346) Write a Review!

About Affinity Designer

Responsive graphic design application that can be used for UI projects.

Learn more about Affinity Designer

Pros:

Cons:

Many tools/commands are similar but different. Deciding when to use Designer vs Photo is confusing.

Affinity Designer ratings

4.3
4.5
4.5
4.8

9.1/10

Affinity Designer has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 346 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Affinity Designer before?

Alan Gerardo
Alan Gerardo
Director in Mexico

A great vector creation tool for iPad users

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It’s been great overall. One purchase and you jump right in without worrying about renewing payment plans. At first it was a bit of a shock having such a high quality app for a table because it does things that you might not expect it to to do while at the same time not behaving exactly how you would expect. However it’s more because it must compromise in some aspects due to the fact that it MUST take into account both touch only controls as well as mouse and keyboad.

Pros:

-Purchase once and use forever. You don’t need a monthly subscription fee to access every feature -Accesible price, you don’t need to break the bank to purchase this app -Rich interface and tools

Cons:

-Interface and interactions may be hit or miss since it’s software built for tablets and may not always play nice when using mouse and keyboard - Slight learning curve when coming from other options

Deborah
Artist in US

Versatility and Easy to Learn

5.0 last month New

Comments: Time saving: - Repetitive tasks:
There are some intuitive features I'm learning about, while I was creating a template for printable stickers, I discovered after one 'duplicate' was dragged under the last, the next one would go to the space under that one (with just using the duplicate again). Saving time as I learn more and more.

Pros:

This is the easiest to learn in graphic design software. I like that I can edit parts of a design and link or embed the update. I have created book covers (for print), e-book templates, and recently a sticker series (convention logo sticker items for event items). It has helped me save time (revising templates instead of building from scratch with each one), and I was able to create exactly what the client wanted. I've also created marketing graphics for social and launches of books and media (for clients). I can create custom templates to save time with each project (and there are a lot of built in custom templates already).

Cons:

The main thing I like the least is that the Affinity software is not 'one' integration. It is three different programs. This is not my favorite thing for a few reasons, but, mostly I wish they were one, because I have started at least three projects in the wrong one (of the three I have).

Simon
Freelance Designer and Web Developer in UK

Not fit for purpose

Comments: Not really a finished app I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve. Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon. The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years. So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors. Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development. Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Pros:

It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Cons:

Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

Srdan
Operations Manager in Portugal
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees

My essential UX, Vector Creating tool

Comments: I am very satisfied with the performance the look, style and usability of Affinity Designer I am also using the Affinity Photo and Publisher.

Pros:

It's built for Mac OS, an it works flawlessly with my M1 MacBook and my Dell 27" external screen. It has all the features and tools as Adobe Illustrator and then some more. I absolutely love it!

Cons:

Nothing that I can think of at the moment, all is rainbows and smiles after few years of using it.

Marco
Consultant in Czechia

The versatile tool for your graphics

5.0 last week New

Comments: For my graphic work, Affinity is sufficient.

Pros:

Is much cheaper compared to competing tools.

Cons:

It doesn't have as many features as photoshop.

Cyiza
Owner in Rwanda
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Best features for graphic design without breaking a bank

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Interface is intuitive. Software is light and load faster than InDesign. As someone who uses the software to design some flyers and content for Social media, it saves me more money by offering me all features I need without breaking my bank. One-time free makes it cheaper.

Cons:

For some people who need more powerful features, it can offer less

Gene
Freelance Graphic Designer in US

A true 21st graphics suite for creatives

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I really put it to the test. I've been working with all sort of design software for the past 30 years and tried everything imaginable: "Ok, Affinity, but can you do this??" And sure enough, it can. Wonderful.

Pros:

The fact that Affinity Designer is the best vector-based drawing software on the market right now and so incredibly affordable is outrageously great. The interface is very intuitive and well-organized, and super easy to use and get a handle on quick. There's everything to love about this software.

Cons:

There is no auto trace. However, there's an app for $5 in the Apple store that does the job just fine.

Mostafa
Startup Pioneer in UK
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

I have an affinity for design.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Very easy to use with tremendous capabilities.

Cons:

Not as well known as Adobe Photoshop. FYI, Serif is the company behind Affinity and they are well known in the graphics arena.

Marketing director in US
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees

Good alternative to Adobe suite

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

This is a great alternative to illustrator. The affinity tools are easy to learn and similar to the Adobe suite. So much more cost effective as well.

Cons:

Some actions don’t feel as natural in affinity as they do in Adobe. But after a few tries/googles it works great!

Photographer in Canada
Photography, Self Employed

Affinity Trial User

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I started using this program because lightroom would not read my nikon z files. I do overall like the editing and easy to follow functions.

Cons:

This product is closer to photoshop, I was looking for an alternative to lightroom. The biggest drawback is the multiple tabs you have to open to edit your work. I like to copy my presets to the rest of my files and tweak them individually after.

Lead Designer in Canada
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

An Affordable Champion

Comments: I've been looking for an alternative to Adobe illustrator for years now, and Affinity Designer is the one. The interface is much faster to open and lighter in feel, and it offers pretty much all the features one could want from a vector editor. You can jump between vector and raster quite easily too.

Pros:

Affinity Designer is very inexpensive, but you wouldn't know it from using it. This is a full-on, best-in-class vector graphics application for designing logos, icons, UI, mock-ups and more.

Cons:

While Affinity Designer is very similar to Adobe Illustrator, it does behave quite differently in some ways, and will take a little longer to adjust coming from Illustrator. That being said, it's still very easy to use.

Destiny
Owner / Graphic Designer in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

So impressed with Affinity Designer!

Comments: Overall, this program has been more beneficial than any other art program I've used. I create coloring books and the vectoring tools have made the process so much faster, easier, and cleaner looking than the hand-drawn rastered techniques I was using before.

Pros:

This is the easiest vectoring program I've ever used for lineart and I'm amazed at its affordability compared to insanely-priced subscription services like Adobe.

Cons:

I only have two gripes with this program. 1) As of the writing of this review, you can't merge vectored strokes into one layer. You can merge multiple shapes into one shape but every vectored line/stroke has its own layer and can only be 'grouped', not merged. When I'm done with a lineart, I want it to be one layer-- not thousands. 2) Protecting/locking PDFs from editing does not seem to be possible at the moment and that's a huge security issue for a lot of artists who don't want their work edited without authorization. Would really like to see this issue fixed.

Hailey
Owner in Canada
Retail, Self Employed

Great graphic design software

Pros:

Affinity Designer is a great one-time purchase software for graphic design. It has more features than the free program I was using previously and has allowed me to create more detailed designs for use in my business.

Cons:

I don't have any formal training in graphic design so learning a new program can be difficult. I tend to turn to Youtube for tutorials and unfortunately there aren't a lot of tutorials for Affinity Designer compared to some of the other major design programs out there.

Alexandre
Alexandre
Director in France
Design, 2-10 Employees

The best design software ever

Comments: - Fast development for my customers
- For any visit card design or else, it's very immersive

Pros:

I've been using affinity for about 3 years. It's soooo easy so great and mostly, SO QUICK ! I love designing with this software ! User experience is very cool, the customization is amazing. And the price it's like we give it to you ! I can only recommend that software !

Cons:

Sometimes, I need to go to Illustrator for some specific features such as color overall management or width modification. Anyway, there are a lot of innovative feature on Illustrator that i'd love to see on affinity.

Asfak
UX-UI Designer in Bangladesh
Design, 11-50 Employees

Best Vector Design software in a Cheaper price

Comments: Overall, I am happy with this product. It comes with a perceptual purchase plan. I can do my 80% of design in affinity designer. I wish they add features like shape builder tool, Image tracer soon. Then, It will be the best Adobe Illustrator Competitor.

Pros:

The interface is less complicated. Layer management is awesome. It supports non-destructive editing for both vector & pixel editing. It supports live preview while changing any properties like colour, font & effects of the design.

Cons:

There is no image tracing option. Lacking of Shape builder tool, pattern tool, real vector brush tool made this software hard to recommend to others.

Jens
Graphic Designer & Artworker in UK
Computer Software, Self Employed

IMO the Best Vector Editing Software on the Market

Comments: Fabulous. I bought the software in 2014 when it was first released and Serif has supplied free upgrades for almost seven years now (bringing it from version 1.0 to 1.9).
It's super easy to learn when you come from competing software and because it's newly developed it doesn't carry the heft of many, many years of old code and compatibility issues around (looking at you, Illustrator!).

Pros:

It's modern, FAST (in capitals), easy to use, affordable and regularly updated. Also, Affinity Designer (and it's companion applications Photo and Publisher) are available on both Windows and macOS with 100% file compatibility; In addition there is an iPad edition available, again with 100% compatible files and great drawing features for Apple Pencil.

Cons:

The management of ,global colours' and 'normal colours' needs some getting used to. Once you know how it works, it works well, but it's a bit different than I expected.

Leighton
Leighton
Graphic Designer in Canada
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees

Excellent alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Comments: With the exception of a few missing features and performance issues that would be nice to have, the experience has been excellent.

Pros:

Affinity Designer is very affordable alternative that does most things as well as Adobe Illustrator (and a few things it does even better!) The UI is actually more intuitive than Illustrator in most ways, and those who come from Photoshop or Illustrator will have absolutely no problems adjusting to it. Affinity Designer is perfect for UI design, and illustration.

Cons:

Unfortunately Affinity Designer is missing some of the more advanced features available in Illustrator, though none of these will be a deal-breaker for most users. The Affinity suite of apps also seems to have some (mostly non-critical) issues with memory management. Complex files can cause the software to become rather sluggish even on high-end computers. Adobe Illustrator is not immune to this, but this seems to happen with less complex files with Affinity Designer.

Emily
Business Owner/Graphic designer in US

Absolutely Incredible

Comments: Affinity has hit every expectation and then some. Absolutely a dream come true and a great program. I love working with their design programs. I used their competitors programs but made the switch as soon as I saw how amazing it is.

Pros:

Real-time changes during designing and editing. Ability to work in vector or raster in the same application. NO SUBSCRIPTIONS Convert files into anything you need even for other design programs of other brands. Quick exporting with a preview and many options. Works amazingly on tablets and desktops. Easy to download more brushes, typefaces, and anything else you need. Now integrated with copyright-free photo services like pixabay, pexles, and unsplash. Everything is fantastic and I cannot recommend this enough.

Cons:

Doesn't like the corner tool at times. Wish Affinity had a cloud-like service that could download and keep files you're working on available when you switch devices.

Writer in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Gotta Get Them All

Comments: I should start by saying that I didn't think I'd need Affinity Designer when I bought it. The only reason I bought it (and its product sibling, Affinity Photo) was because the product I actually wanted (Affinity Publisher) has a component called "Studio Link" that allows owners of Designer and Photo to switch "personas," which is a fancy word for summoning the tool set for Designer or Photo, whenever they need to update an image, logo, vector, landscape photo, etc. within a print layout for magazines, books (my exact use case), posters, fliers, or any other printed publication for business. By having a copy of Designer, I can use its full feature set right inside Publisher (same with Photo). I never have to exit the program or swap the image file I need to work on. It's not just innovative, it's efficient: one of the functional reasons (outside the obvious cost benefit) to using Affinity Anything over Adobe Anything (including Illustrator, it's main competition). But the funny thing is that once I bought Designer (and Photo), I saw a need for it. It's now my go-to for designing vector images, which can help me to make a logo for my website or a character + scene or idea design for my book covers (in comedies and coming-of-age fiction). The hardest part is actually learning how to draw with vectors. Spoiler Alert: It's not hard, even if you're an amateur like me. Get the Affinity Designer textbook or watch expert tutorials, and you'll figure it out in no time.

Pros:

The main reason I bought the program was because it integrates with Affinity Publisher, another tool from the same company that I needed for book design. This is probably more of a pro in Publisher's camp, but Designer's compatibility with Affinity's entire suite of products made it attractive. But it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a program to design vector graphics, and Affinity Designer scratches that itch well. I can't compare its feature set to its competitor, Adobe Illustrator, because I don't use Adobe products, so I can't discuss what it lacks. But when it comes to essential layered shape designs and special effects (and creating patterns, and designing logos, and so on), it includes everything you need to get the job done well. It's also easy to use. The product's store page also sells a textbook that holds your hand through designing projects, so it's very learn-as-you-go. The video tutorials also offer quick tips and best practices, and you can get additional design ideas from Affinity's YouTube channel. The price is unbeatable. It charges an ownership fee, not a subscription fee, so you pay for the product once (and depending on your budget, you don't pay much) and keep it forever. The price includes all updates within that version, and it updates enough to maintain user confidence. Overall, my opinion is that if you care about graphics of any kind, this is a tool worth having. But you should get all of Affinity's products. They're worth it.

Cons:

If I were a dedicated graphic design artist, I might have an opinion here. But as a writer and sometimes game designer, my graphic needs are governed by situation, and so far my situation has not revealed any frustrations that I wouldn't extend to all Affinity products. So, the only actual negative I have right now is trivial. I'd need to use the software consistently to become excellent, and I don't need it often enough to become excellent. But if I were to use it consistently, the tools it offers would help me become excellent. So, there's no real con to buying this program, especially at its price point. Keeping track of the art boards gave me a headache the first time I used them. I think I may have used them wrong. A true graphic designer probably wouldn't have that kind of problem. It would be like a non-writer trying to learn how to use the style sheets in Microsoft Word (or Affinity Publisher, for that matter). Not hopeless, but not easy on the first try. No, the only nitpick I have is the same about all of Affinity's products. To update them, you have to manually download and install the newest version. Each product is half a gigabyte in size. Multiply that by three (because all three share the same updates), and it can get expensive on your hard drive if you don't have that delete key ready. It would be nicer if they had an auto-updating option available (for those who trust the integrity of updates). But that's about it. Oh, and Affinity likes RAM. Lots of RAM.

Viktoria
Owner in Croatia

The powerhouse of vector design

Comments: We use Affinity Designer for a myriad of things - from designing logos and graphics for websites, to making merch design for our web comic. The great UI and amazing performance are an upgrade from our previous vector design software.

Pros:

Affinity designer is the software I was waiting for as long as I remember. It has all the options of the mainstream competition, but for the fraction of the price. The best part of it is that Affinity Designer does what it does perfectly. But, the thing that attracted me to the Serif software, Affinity Designer and it's sister products Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher, is not only that. They offered their software for absolutely free for three entire months when the COVID pandemic started, and then for another three months later on. All the time, their price was down to 50% as well. They were not only the best, but the most human and kind. And that is the kind of company I want to give my money to.

Cons:

A solid bitmap tracing option would be nice.

Designer in Australia
Design, Self Employed

A good Illustrator alternative, but far from perfect

Comments: Overall, I recommend Designer, along with the other Affinity apps, but I have something of a love-hate relationship with them. I love that we have real alternative to Adobe's products. The tools are powerful, and in many areas they shine brighter than Adobe's tired old offerings. On the other hand, some basic usability issues seem to hang about forever.

Pros:

It's almost impossible to judge any vector illustration software without drawing comparisons (excuse the pun) to Adobe Illustrator, and in many ways Affinity Designer compares very well. It certainly feels fast, as a modern, native Mac app should. And unlike Illustrator, you can buy the app for a very affordable one-time purchase—no monthly subscriptions. Affinity has done a great job of unifying (mostly) all their apps, and this has to be mentioned too—Designer exists as part of an ecosystem, which for many designers, makes it the first genuine alternative to Adobe's Creative Cloud.

Cons:

I have not found the transition from Adobe apps to be an altogether easy one. In some part, that is just the nature of switching from tools that one has grown very familiar with over many years. But some of it goes beyond that. The Affinity apps (and Designer is no exception) exhibit some *interesting* UI behaviours. Some of the more frustrating ones: - poor windows management, making Separated Mode almost unusable - strange intermittent bugs like a background window somehow having focus (and receiving commands) - working with colour swatches (especially Pantone swatches and spot colours) is cumbersome - some non-destructive actions, like deselecting an object, are added to the undo/redo stack (making it impossible to redo other commands) - no option to globally turn off antialiasing of exported artwork - no info panel - no ability to save your workspaces - lots of other 'little' interface oddities, which aren't big in and of themselves, but which can contribute to a somewhat frustrating experience overall. Some of these issues have been raised over and over again on the user forums, but Affinity seems very slow to address them.

Managing Member in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Excellent Product

Comments: My experience has been wonderful, I see some of the new AI-type features in CC, but for my purposes the Affinity can do 98% of everything I might have ever wanted from CC and for a much better, one-time price.

Pros:

I use the full Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) and am VERY pleased with each. The ability to create and edit files in one and seamlessly switch to the other (e.g. edit photo in Photo and switch over to Designer to do some curved text or other vector work and then switch back to Photo) is amazing, and quite a time saver. I create several print-ready images every month and used to pay a LOT more for CC, which started to become a burden. Switching to Affinity saves me a lot of money (and also time)

Cons:

Not a complaint, but if this software could somehow use all of the thousands of Photoshop plugins and filters out there, it would be incredible.

RAJESH
Content Visualizer in India

Ditch Adobe Illustrator. Get Affinity Designer NOW

Comments: I love this tool for graphic design. The learning curve is short, the tool itself is inexpensive (no recurring cost) and I look forward to use it on a daily basis - it's so intutive.

Pros:

The best thing about Affinity Designer is not that it is feature rich, but that it has all the essential features for designing/illustration. This software can be bought for a low price (one-time) unlike Adoble Illustrator which demands you pay monthly license fee. The software is easy and intutive to use and I was able to learn the essentials within a week or so. You get basic photo editing features like selection tools for cropping, blending modes, etc.

Cons:

Certain useful features like gradient map, 3D, mockups, etc. that are available in Illustrator may not be available with Affinity Designer. But I am OK with this - too many features make us forget essential ones. Besides, the magic wand tool available in Affinity Photo is not available in Affinity Designer - for precise cropping of people, etc. I wish Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo were a single software.

Savannah
CFO in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees

Affinity Designer

Comments: Overall it’s OK but the price point is very low so it makes it somewhat worth it.

Pros:

Affinity designer is super cost-effective. It’s easier to use than most designer software’s. They have a lot of support on their website and tutorials on YouTube.

Cons:

There are a couple issues that we’ve had while using affinity designer. The program tends to frequently close out by itself. Sometimes I’m unable to download the updates without it crashing. We have to use affinity in conjunction with our Roland BN-20 however some of the add-ons within affinity aren’t compatible and aren’t recognize in versaworks. There aren’t enough tutorials to really grasp everything within affinity. I think it needs a little more work and to be easier to use.

Director of Marketing in Taiwan
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Better than I expected

Comments: I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates. Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer. Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

Pros:

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

Cons:

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way. Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.