Worth it for any company starting out

Reviewed on 15/08/2019
Erin C.
Executive Artistic Director
Performing Arts, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I love the interface - once I got to know what was possible it became very easy to create what I wanted. I feel like it makes a big difference in how we're perceived by our community. I also personally like the irreverence - the graphics and cute sayings make marketing a little more fun.

Pros: I love that it's free for the first 2000 names - makes it easy to try the product over time. I switched from Constant Contact and was looking for something more affordable for our needs as a new, volunteer-based non-profit. I also love the ease of use. It's pretty simple to figure out and whatever questions I've had have been answered by the help documents.

Cons: I wish that Mailchimp more easily integrated with my ticketing software (OvationTix.) I tried to merge data but it's not intuitive so I have ended up not using that feature. I'm not sure if that's an issue on the side of Mailchimp or OvationTix, so it doesn't affect my overall enjoyment and opinion of the software. I also deal with a lot of email going into spam, even though I've followed all of the rules and avoid filter triggering phrases in my subject lines. I guess I wish there were more support in that area.

Inuitive and Robust: Mailchimp makes it easy to create campaigns that deliver

Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Amy S.
Marketing Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've used Mailchimp for about 12 years. I've also used Constant Contact and Emma. I liked that Emma gave me a live account rep. I liked that Constant Contact had a trustworthy legacy feel. But Mailchimp feels like home. It's a perfect combination of a boutique platform like Emma + a legacy system like Constant Contact. They have a stellar free-level package (up to 2,000 addresses) that makes them a no-brainer go-to for any small or start-up company.

Pros: Mailchimp has easy and intuitive drag-and-drop campaign building blocks that make it easy to create professional emails and campaign landing pages. It's easy to connect Mailchimp to your online store to embed products, customize campaigns to folks who've opted in to lists or purchased particular products at your online store, and you can automate complete email/landing page chains. What you're able to accomplish with Mailchimp is only limited by your imagination, and the longer you work with it and explore it, the more value it yields. Somehow Mailchimp is able to deliver all this on a chassis that's simple and intuitive. For more sophisticated setups, they have a robust library you can access that's very useful. Perhaps the most important thing that I've appreciated about Mailchimp over the 10+ years I have used them is their unwavering dedication to ensuring the health of your list -- and therefore the health of the entire platform. They do a great job of educating marketers about how to ensure your campaigns are successful not just in the short run, but also overall, over many, many mailings and contacts. They keep marketers abiding by good email marketing principles, which means the platform is trusted by inboxes everywhere. Deliverability is very important to me and to my clients. I have more than once schooled my clients, armed with data and principles that Mailchimp taught me (both the easy way and the hard way).

Cons: Any gripe I might have with Mailchimp is the same gripe I would have with any email platform. I would like their email and landing page-building software (or web-building software) to be as intuitive as Squarespace, which is honestly a whole other level of drag-and-drop, so perhaps a pipe dream. Over the years, I also haven't felt like I had a good support option. Their help page goes to the Mailchimp "knowledgebase" of articles, so everything I've ever learned about Mailchimp came from sussing it out myself through trial and error, through searching their Knowledgebase, or with a quick Google search. I do see they have a chat feature, which is great. But honestly in 10+ years I've pretty much had to wing it on this platform and it's still my fave, which says a lot. The only other thing I hope they improve is the automated email chain engine. Honestly, it feels a little glitchy.

Arguably the only Email Marketing and Survey tool you will ever need

Reviewed on 10/02/2019
Deba O.
IT Support executive
Oil & Energy, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The learning curve for me was very straight forward. I have been able to record improved conversions from my marketing emails due to the high customization of email prepared with this software.

Pros: First-time users of MailChimp will enjoy the editor which is fast and simple to use, as it also supports the use of drag & drop interface to prepare your message. The support for auto-responders, A/B testing, recurring emails and RSS to newsletter has made my job easier. MailChimp analytics can tell you exactly what you need to know about the emails you sent. The analytics also helps me know what and what not to adjust in my email campaign and because I use MailChimp for the creation of Facebook, Instagram and google ads is another useful reason I have stuck to it. I regularly use Mailchimp to integrate with applications like WordPress to create subscription form and create ordering pages for e-commerce software like Shopify and woo commerce. It has been flawless so far. I will say they have a lot of features in the paid plan that makes email marketing enjoyable and subscribers spoilt for choice

Cons: Mail chimp does not encourage using their service for affiliate marketing even after you pay for their product. I learnt this the hard way when my defaulting account was blacklisted. I also observed that emails sent to Gmail landed in the promotion tab while some company internal servers blacklisted emails sent from my Mailchimp account. You should do well to beware of the forever free plan because they don’t provide customer service for it after 30 days and it does not support autoresponders. The pricing plan is not very straightforward to understand. Over the years, they have included some changes which are not great from a customer perspective (like the need to verify that your contact was gotten from a subscription page) and the reduction of contact allowed on the free forever plan to just 2000.

Expensive but Effective! The first Newsletter tool that comes to mind.

Reviewed on 18/02/2019
Shayne H.
Director of Sales
Internet, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: MailChimp is quite a popular tool that is frequently used by budding enterprises because of it's generous Freemium model. I started using MailChimp around 3 years ago and I've never been happier. This tool helped me understand where I went wrong with my campaigns, improve them and made me save a LOT of money by deciding not to hire a separate design team. After using it for a few months, I realized that switching to one of MailChimp's paid models would benefit me way more.

Pros: 1) Template Compatibility: The templates that you choose in MailChimp are optimized to fit on all screen sizes. Whether the recipient has a smartphone, a desktop, a laptop or even a tablet, your content will be delivered to him/her the way you want it to be.
2) Scope for better future campaigns: What I mean by this is - MailChimp gives you an edge or an insight into how your campaigns are doing. Based on the statistic report, you can refine and optimize your campaigns and make them more effective.
3) Engendering Interaction: Creating a Survey or a User Form has never been easier.
4) No HTML knowledge required: As I mentioned earlier, MailChimp has a myriad of optimized templates to choose from which helps you become much more creative with your campaigns. There is no need for a separate Design Team unless you don't already like the templates that are available.

Cons: 1) User Interface: MailChimp does have a user-friendly interface(s). However, the problem is that they change the User Interface every time they roll in a new update. Yes, this will be easy to master in a short while, but that still requires a NewsLetter team to get accustomed to the new interface. This wastes a lot of time.
2) Zero Tolerance to Affiliate Marketers: If you're an affiliate marketer and you've just stumbled upon MailChimp, turn the other way. I'm not sure what the penalties are but I know they're quite severe.
3) Expensive: Though the Freemium version of MailChimp is rather generous, the paid subscriptions can surely burn a hole in your pocket when you find yourself wanting to send more emails and build your subscription list.

Mailchimp doesn't money around when it comes to features and customer service

Reviewed on 6/02/2019
Brandon G.
Development Associate
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Working for a non-profit and having a very targeted base of individuals that I am trying to communicate with can be cumbersome and frustrating because that target group is very segmented by demographics. Mailchimp allows me to modify how I communicate with these segments, without having to reinvent the wheel and send separate campaigns to each segment. I can easily create one campaign and then segment from within to make sure I am communicating correctly to each group.

Pros: Mailchimp has a robust and user friendly dashboard that makes it easy for a novice to get started with an email campaign. That being said, hidden below the surface of templates and cookie cutter designs are fully customizable features and the ability to code your own emails. I believe it serves as the best of both worlds for the unassuming small business owner who really does't have time to learn or the the money to hire a professional to handle their email marketing; it also allows large corporations with a scantly lit room full of code loving nerds to have full control of their email design. Mailchimp doesn't discriminate between these two worlds when it comes the analytics and reporting , they have a terrific suite of tools to measure success. To top it all off, Mailchimp is constantly updating their technology to improve their product and help businesses communicate with their customers.

Cons: The worst thing about Mailchimp is their pricing, they can get pretty steep when you start trying to expand your reach and communicate with a larger audience. The pricing isn't outrageous, but it also isn't competitive. The other cons in my opinion are personal annoyances and probably aren't shared among a whole lot of other users. Their automation tools are a bit limited, my expectations were set high based on all the features that Mailchimp has, automation is one that is still a work in progress. My other annoyance is the branded copy all over the site, it's like being instructed by two dudebros who are constantly making inside references as they show you around. Some probably find this very charming, I find it kind of irritating.

Optimum Choice for Email Database Mailing/Management!

Reviewed on 5/02/2019
Amy W.
Associate Director of Development
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Mailchimp is absolutely ideal for corresponding with customers/clientele, especially, (and from my experience), for small businesses and non-profits. Not only is Mailchimp very affordable for businesses with limited budgets, it is a great way to manage and store the likely smaller customer lists those businesses have. In my personal experience, I have loved the way the "unsubscribe" feature works with Mailchimp. It notifies you as the user when and why someone requests to be unsubscribed from future correspondence, and ensures they are actually removed from your Mailchimp list. I have found that this is so much more foolproof than keeping up with your own list in a simple spreadsheet. Along those same lines, mailing out to a list on a spreadsheet and/or directly from an email account often results in the message being flagged as spam/junk for recipients. You also often have limits as to how many addresses you can send a message to at one time, creating additional time and work for the user. Mailchip does it all for you with one click of the button. Not only that, you can review analytics including how many people have opened the email, how many additional clicks links within the email have gotten, how many emails were undeliverable, and more. It is just so user-friendly, and I have never come across anything comparable that gives you more bang for your buck.

Cons: Sometimes the formatting of an email newsletter-type communication can be tricky for a novice on Mailchimp, but after doing it once or twice, you get the hang of it and it becomes much easier. The "test email" feature also eases my own mind, knowing that I can see exactly what it will look like in my customers' inboxes before I actually send it out for real. I generally send it to my personal and business email addresses, read them on my desktop and phone, to make sure the formatting looks correct on all before sending. Although that is a bit tedious, I have peace of mind knowing what I send out looks professional and readable.

The Professional and Easy Way to Deal with Sending Emails to the Masses

Reviewed on 10/02/2019
Sébastien L.
Directeur
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am very satisfied with Mailchimp and would highly recommend its use to anyone who is serious about scaling a potentially big business. I will surely consider Mailchimp for my personal brand as the first 2,000 subscribers are free anyway, which makes for a sweet deal! It helped our current company present itself professionally with emails by having access to such a great template editor. We didn't have any web developer working on our team at the time, so it was easy to resort to using the included features, even though it's important to note that any code can be pasted as HTML for those who know what they are doing. We thought that we knew our customers, but the reports generated by Mailchimp really opened our eyes and allowed us to know what works and what doesn't, which was surprising and very useful. Initially, we deployed our own mail server, but we found out the hard way that Mailchimp is a much more reliable solution for us and it removes all barriers related to scale as everything is taken care of automatically on their side.

Pros: Mailchimp has a truly professional feel to it. The interface is responsive and well designed. The platform makes it easy to start for free and offers flexible plans, perfect for a startup. Mailchimp has many tutorials available that came in handy more than once. They also use a good sense of humor, making for a less boring experience when reading technical material. There are many options to customize the service and I found it easy to make all the necessary changes in order to set my account for a Spanish audience in Mexico. Once a campaign has been sent, reports are automatically built. I could even see the stats being updated live just a few minutes after sending everything! There is detailed information about open rates, click rates and statistics about the general industry to see clearly if the audience is being reached as expected. One can also see the reaction of every customer in each campaign: unsubscribes, bounces, number of clicks, etc. All this information is accessible and can be exported to CSV. Another aspect that I really liked is how well the template editor works. You basically insert "blocks" of text, dividers, images or other types of blocks on the right side of the page and you can see in real-time the template being rendered on the left side. I haven't found any issue when viewing an email sent through Mailchimp based on a template, both on mobile and desktop clients. On the contrary, it made for a consistent design and branding.

Cons: Mailchimp works wonderfully well, but it isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to the initial customization. Sure, the documentation is great, but it does take a while to setup everything. It wasn't clear to me how to use templates inside campaigns, for instance, but even without reading all the documentation, one can deduce much of the functioning by simple trial and error, which ended up being my preferred way to learn my way around. I didn't find the File Manager as intuitive as the rest of the interface when I started using the product. Sometimes, I would want to resize pictures or apply filters and would get confused as to where the image has been saved or if it were indeed saved. However, it does seem to be getting easier to use in recent versions, as it contains a "revision history" for each uploaded file and an impressive list of adjustments in the image editor, which is a great addition when working on a different computer where the usual software might not be present. I still prefer using external applications when modifying pictures, but Mailchimp does allow to make pretty much any modification you might need and having access to a revision history makes it easy to go back to an earlier version of a file even without first making a backup of it.

So easy a Chimp could do it!

Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Virginia B.
Communications Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Mailchimp is a wonderful email campaign platform. We are currently utilizing the free version, going on 5 years now, for our bimonthly newsletters and have never run into a single issue. As a marketer, my favorite thing about Mailchimp is the ability to share our newsletters and subscribe links via social media. You can also create pop-ups or static forms to embed on your website so that when people subscribe they are automatically added to your subscriber list.

Pros: Mailchimp’s free plan allows you to have up to 2,000 subscribers and includes 12,000 emails you can send out, per month. For those new to Mailchimp, there are numerous preset templates you can choose from which you can further customize to your liking or create your own from scratch. Campaign templates can incorporate images, polls, embedded videos, call to actions, plain text, and custom HTML. Once you have created a template – with the specific look you are looking for – you can duplicate it and create your next campaign so you do not have to start from scratch. It’s likely you will encounter someone on your subscriber list who either resides or works for a company in the EU. Mailchimp has all the needed GDPR tools and regulations in place to make your campaign process as easy and stress free as possible to manage. Uploading new contacts to your subscriber list can be done in minutes (CSV files). You can also create multiple lists which you can further segment into more specific groups (in the case you may not want to send the campaign to the entire list of your choosing). Before sending off your campaign you can preview what it will look like to your recipients on desktop and mobile devices and check your links to make sure they work appropriately. Mailchimp also provides A/B testing and basic analytics, pertaining to each campaign you send out, to give you more insight into the campaign’s open rates and clicks.

Cons: I have very few complaints about Mailchimp, but I do wish they could incorporate spell check into their system somehow to help expedite the editing process. Also keep in mind, if you choose to upgrade from the free plan into a paid plan, you can only downgrade back down to the free plan once. If you choose to make any changes to a campaign that has already been sent off, it will not update those campaigns, it will only show those updated changes to those you send the campaign to after saving those changes. Meaning if you find a mistake in a campaign you have recently sent out, know that there is no “undo” or fix.

Great For Simple Needs

Reviewed on 25/01/2019
Kristi P.
Chief Do-Gooder
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: One of the reasons I have stuck with Mailchimp, at least for now, is how easily it integrates with Squarespace. It's hard to think of changing that. Overall, Mailchimp has been a good option as a startup with limited time and resources. Depending on people's needs, I do recommend it to friends and clients, but it certainly has it's limitations for growing and scaling with more complex needs. If you are new to email marketing, though, certainly give it a try as your training wheels. It's worked out well for many people and companies.

Pros: One of the reasons Mailchimp is so popular is that it's pretty easy to use. It was definitely a pioneer in the drag and drop space for email templates. And they've added a lot of bells and whistles over the year as well. Plus, they're a generous and charitable company, which I appreciate. Though you could easily spend days trying to learn all the features, if you have pretty simple needs, you'll be able to get up and running fairly quickly.

Cons: Mailchimp was a leader in the market when they started. I'd argue that they've fallen behind the curve. I believe they started adding new features like landing pages and ads, when they should've really caught up with their competition in their core asset—email marketing. If you only really need to email the same group of people over and over again, or have a few sub-lists working in tandem with the main one, Mailchimp gets the job done. But if you have multiple opt-ins, for example, you'll be disappointed at how clunky the system is to navigate, set up, and organize. A lot of patchwork has to be done, or you have to operate a lot of different lists, which isn't recommended. This is where I find myself, and why many people I know have switched away from this software. It is a basic need for so many businesses now, and one of the reasons I think Mailchimp is losing market share, despite adding several new features over the past two years. I'd really love to see them get back to the basics and make strong improvements there.

Useful pioneer in simplifying mass email marketing

Reviewed on 26/11/2018
Director of Human Resources
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our company has mostly used Mail Chimp as a recruiting and advertising tool to reach candidates for potential job opportunities. MailChimp was one of the first professional template based email marketing tools to send out mass emails to potential clients, recruits, etc. Over the years, they've refined their products and added social networking tools as well as other current trending tools for outreach. They are quite useful in adding these important tools to small to mid-sized companies that could benefit from these tools but may not necessarily have the budget to develop and utilize these tools in-house. In addition, the tools are quite affordable and there are several free sample versions/credits you can use to test out the product. The most useful tool I have used consistently with MailChimp is their automated mass-email campaigns. Provided that you obtain the list based on the candidate/clients interest and not through spam based lists, you can send out polished lists for automated outreach to large groups of individuals. We have also used MailChimp to conduct employee and client satisfaction surveys, etc. In general, lots of tools for smaller companies to utilize to stay relevant and competitive with larger companies and you can scale the account/costs to your individual needs. There are limitations with FTC/internet/marketing laws that smaller companies may not be aware of, but you learn quickly. If you know how to do MS Office mail merges, this product works.

Pros: Intuitive with a lot of options for smaller businesses without dedicated marketing teams to offer polished outreach tools that are normally inaccessible. This product allows sales teams, company marketing efforts, and recruiters to all have outreach tools for relatively cheap. Free options to test out products initially to see how it fits your company/departments needs.

Cons: There are a lot of limiting factors based on anti-spam marketing laws (emails), FTC, etc., that MailChimp doesn't necessarily let you know before purchasing and sending out campaigns. You learn quickly limitations such as the inability to send out emails to mass email lists through MailChimp because they don't want to violate these laws. Your lists must be organically obtained (such as through your website or ATS landing site, job ads, advertisements, etc.) in order for them to be used through MailChimp. So forget purchasing an email list from a recruitment organization and then emailing thousands of cold candidates through MailChimp, you will be flagged. Also, you need to be aware AND track candidates that asked to be removed from future emails and ensure you do NOT email them again to stay compliant.

Great quality for the investment

Reviewed on 20/09/2018
Director Of Ecommerce
Machinery, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall our experience with MailChimp was a good one. I think it is a perfect platform to get going on to build your audiences and find your groove. Just know that you will outgrow this platform and your need for more advanced features will push you to a different service. If you want to use some semi-advanced features of most enterprise ESP's, you will ned to utilize additional middleware to accomplish this. But MailChimp is a great return for the investment.

Pros: MailChimp continues to improve and add enterprise type features that you would normally pay much more for with other ESP's. Features that we get the most out of are the automations, transactional service (Mandrill), and store syncing to pull customer data and purchase behaviors into MailChimp for segmentation and triggers. We have been with MC for years and each year it continues to get better. The custom short codes we can use for personalization are very helpful in creating campaigns that are unique to the individuals that are receiving them.

Cons: While they continue to advance, this ESP is still along way from an enterprise solution. The syncing is great, when is works properly. MailChimp does not actually provide the connection with different shopping carts and instead relies on third-party app developers to provide this. This leads to a bunch of issues trying to get support because each wants to point the finger at the other. Mandrill is a great service for transaction sends, but it was combined with paid MailChimp accounts awhile ago instead of a standalone service. Wish they would have kept it separate because there is much more potential on its own. I don't like that you can not combine template types when creating a new campaign/automation. You have to either select a pre-made template or code your own. I wish it had the ability to do both.
While the automations are a must have in today's world, and they are continuing to improve them, there is still a long way to go with these in my opinion to catch up to other ESP's.

A very strong email marketing tool that keeps you up to date with regulations

Reviewed on 6/09/2018
Digital Projects Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, Mailchimp is a good tool for sending out email campaigns. It's simplicity has saved a lot of time and the way the contact lists are handled is superb. Some of the quirks I mentioned in the cons section are very frustrating but livable when weighed in with the pros. The recent GDPR regulations were a strain on our organization but getting our Mailchimp list compliant was the easiest part. If your organization generally sends out one type of message or you don't have to worry about different divisions of your organization needing to have different settings, Mailchimp should work very well for you with very little issue. Our organization is more complicated with the need to send very different messages from different divisions and sub divisions so it is trickier for us to use. It would make sense for organizations like ours to have multiple, separate Mailchimp accounts but that would defeat the most important feature, which is the integrated contact list.

Pros: The best thing about Mailchimp is the ability to customize your target lists to ensure the right people are getting the right message. The days of going through spreadsheets to figure out who to send what are over and you never need to worry about sending the same person duplicate emails (unless they signed up to your list with different email accounts). The integration with social media is very convenient and really helps messages get an even further reach after they are sent. Also, having an archive of emails with many ways to view metrics on each of them as well as access to each recipient's behavior is very valuable.

Cons: The basic editor is very buggy so you have to be sure things look and work right every time. Even when you do make sure things work right in the preview, they sometimes don't in the actual email that goes out. When you cut and paste copy, it is unpredictable what the outcome will be because styles embedded in Mailchimp or the original document get easily mixed up. Most of these issues can be fixed if you go into the html view but who wants to do that when the purpose of the software is to help make things easier? There are a lot of limits on what you can achieve with the look of the emails you create using the set blocks Mailchimp provides. A simple option like lining up images next to text either on top, middle or bottom should be present but is not. There are ways around this by editing your images to force the look you want but that should not have to be. If you have more than one type of business, it is impossible to have some different social media accounts linked or different business info settings created for selection.

If a tool makes mailing (as a marketing channel) fun, it is undoubtedly value for money!

Reviewed on 28/07/2018
Aanchal J.
Digital Marketing Strategist
Hospitality, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Mail-chimp combines advance features with fun & utility to present a wonderful mailing tool. There is no doubt that it is the best in the market and rightly so! I have tried using other mailing software; a non-tech person like me gets stuck with the UI at the very outset. Mail-Chimp is a piece of cake!!

Pros: I recently started using Mail Chimp to send across bulk mails for user acquisition and boy! I have never enjoyed bulk e-mails so much! Each mail sent to a batch (list of mail-IDs) is basically a campaign.
1) Once you upload a list of mails, the inbuilt tracker in mail-chimp displays how "active" the subscriber list is which is very useful.
2) I like how I can play around with the formatting options while designing my mails once I am through with the copy. The easy to use formatting options make you look forward to adorning the mails. Lots of in-built e-mail design templates to choose from!
3) Very systematic with each aspect of e-mailing. Upload list, design e-mail, preview it, put in the subject line and other info like intimating the user as to why the mail is being sent, send a test-email and there you have it!
4) Integrated with analytics - Shows open rate, click rate (in case of in-built links). Can be integrated with Google Analytics as well. The easy to use UI, fun features and options together make it a power package!
5) MailChimp's overall heavy usage across industries is indicated by the fact that Facebook Ads Manager provides a separate tab to import data directly from a MailChimp account.

Cons: 1) It is quite expensive indicated by the fact that other mailing software have incorporated "A MailChimp Alternative" as their marketing message in their Google Ads! You really need to test the waters before you are sure that your mails are ready to go via paid MailChimp campaigns. The number of test e-mails (which is just 2000 per week) can be increased slightly though. It will enable a better judgement of whether the mails are working or not, before one goes ahead with purchasing an account.
2) The software only allows you to delete a subscriber list if it has not been used for 7 days or more. I can't quite understand the point. I would like to avail the option of deleting a list whenever I want to.
3) Limit on the option of inserting multiple Call-To-Actions (CTAs) in your mail. I think, just like any other formatting option, the user should be able to insert more than one CTA in their mails, if need be from the in-built CTA provided. In case, there is more than one CTA required, we have no choice but to go with an image and then later on hyperlink it.

Perfect For Beginners, Great E-Commerce Integration, Super Simple, Awesome Support

Reviewed on 23/03/2018
Customer Support

Pros: If you ever thought about email marketing, there is hardly any chance you didn't hear about Mailchimp. It seems to be the go to solution for anybody just starting out with email marketing. What's great is that even in the completely free version you can send newsletters, send automated emails like order confirmations, abandoned cart reminders etc. with lots of integrations to existing e-commerce software. The interface is very simple to use and its built-in drag and drop editor is very flexible as well with lots of predefined elements to choose from. There is built in Google Analytics integration together with numerous other tools from Facebook to Pipedrive, so you can use your mailing list to create custom audiences on FB or sync them with your preferred CRM version to send mass mailings to your customers. What's also nice is the agency feature that allows you to manage multiple accounts under one roof. This is especially useful if you have customers with existing Mailchimp accounts that want to invite you to their existing account.

Cons: MailChimp is fine and dandy if you're a beginner, but it's not the best choice for serious online marketers. There are lots of automation to choose from such as auto-responders, triggered e-mails if a specific action occurs, but the automation is completely independent of each other. Creating complex automation like "send this email to subscribers from this list, but only if they met criteria X and didn't receive email Y from 2 weeks ago already" is just impossible to implement. Apart from that, the automation that is possible to do can become quite confusing if you have lots of them. A visual representation in the form of a flowchart would be extremely helpful. Other email marketing software like Active Campaign does a much better job at this. Apart from that, the pricing is hard to grasp for a month? What if you're somewhere in between and need more features, but aren't able to make it.

Robust emailing marketing software with lots of third-party connections.

Reviewed on 1/11/2017
Marketing Manager
Construction, 13-50 Employees
Customer Support

Pros: MailChimp is a very popular email marketing platform that makes it easy to send out mail campaigns. We use a great plugin for our gravity forms pushing anyone that submits a form on our website to a specific MailChimp list, group, or segment. This makes it easier than trying to regularly upload a list each time it changes. It's popular for good reasons as setting up templated emails is really simple, guided by a step-by-step process with additional coding and advanced setup features. It also allows for RSS feeds to be sent to a blog signup list. Creating automatic drip campaigns is another feature we utilize heavily and works great at increasing follow-up. The split A/B testing is a great way to test the messages of your marketing campaign. Being able to see the reports on clicks and users makes it one of the best features of MailChimp. We use it as a way to know our warm leads we should be reaching out to.

Cons: Although being easy to use, the few spots you get snagged up on are better resolved through a Google search than a chat to the support people. They stink. The other big con to MailChimp is the way it handles lists, groups, segments, and signup forms. Because MailChimp bills you for every last contact you have with your lists, creating duplicate lists can be an expensive mistake. The only way to separate contacts without getting double billed is to use segments and groups. This creates a challenge when using the signup forms, as the person will have to choose their preferred group to join. It would be better if MailChimp either made the signup forms group based or allowed for separate lists without duplicate charges. The other big downside to MailChimp is the difficulty with managing a user's email preferences. For example, if a user only wants to receive monthly emails instead of weekly emails, creating that option can be a bit tricky without some careful planning. It would be simpler if MailChimp created a frequency option as a customer profile option. This would fail-safe against sending out too many emails to someone that wanted fewer emails.

Overall it's good, but has major flaws.

Reviewed on 3/06/2017
Rob B.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Mailchimp is very easy to use and has plugins for 99% of the other services my company uses online like our web host, G Suit, forms system, etc which is awesome and works amazingly. Their API is super smooth and simple so it is easy to import and sync all kinds of customer data from one service to another. The analytics mailchimp provides from campaigns is also super helpful, and so are their new automated tasks sending out automatic emails to customers after purchase or after abandoned carts.

Cons: My two major complaints are the price points and the flagging system. If you have a very small company the prices are pretty great, but as our customer database grew the prices jumped severally. I wish there is a way to pay less by opting out of some of the features we don't need or use, but it's a set strict pricing tier, all or nothing. Even with the higher prices my company kept on happily using MailChimp, until our account got flagged for 3 false reports. From the research, we investigated it appears that a rival company had their employees sign up for our mailing list, probably for market research keeping an eye on our sales which make sense, until those accounts reported one of our newsletters as spam causing MailChimp to immediately suspend our account. After MONTHS of being a paying customer with no issues, I feel them instantly suspending our account without first contacting us is unacceptable. The automated hoops they made as jump through we ridiculous, and the response time, once we jumped through those hoops, took DAYS - Days we had to pay for even though our account was suspended. two weeks down the road we got our account reactivated, but our request to talk to a member of their team was ignored. Mailchimp treated us guilty until proven innocent, which I would get if we didn't already have an impeccable record with them. We had over a year of 100% upstanding email campaigns using their service and feel like we were treated VERY unfairly. What happens next time that same competitor false flags us, forcing us to pay for service time we can not use? Because of that, I am actively researching other service providers, specifically ones that have actual human employees that reach out before drastic measures such as suspension.

Best platform for sending bulk emails without compromising your server credibility

Reviewed on 22/02/2019
Nupur A.
Digital marketing strategist
Telecommunications, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall: It was great

Pros: Let me tell you straight away without wasting much of your time, if you are looking for cheap and best solution for your email marketing campaigns then mailchimp is the answer. You can easily formulate your campaign from the predefined templates and if you are a newbie to email campaigns and have just started your career than trust me its very easy to learn and you can learn it by your own (same as i did back in days).
Now lets dive into bits of its features which it has lots as per the requirement:
After signup you will see a user friendly dashboard layout. just start new campaign and the process is self explaining (provided you understand whats a email campaign is), You can choose from predefined themes and layout or can make your own with simple drag and drop options and once you are done choose from email lists which you have previously uploaded (eeehh.. i should have told that before, nevermind you can save your draft and can start sending later. Now the MAIN part which we all digital marketers desires, The REPORTING of campaigns.
you can almost get everything here in terms of reporting.
You can see who has received your email, who has opened your email and who has clicked on the email and has taken an action on it.
You can run A/B testing of your campaigns and can see which campaign is performing better than others.
Bottom line: Definitely Worth the Value.

Cons: Perfection is a MYTH, and so its quite fortunate that mailchimp also seems to have few flaws (or lets say need improvement).
Once my boss asked me to do multivariate testing (for non techie peoples its a on step above than A/B testing) of campaigns we are running on mailchimp. So for this i have to run same campaign again and again with slight modifications in each drafted campaign. And we decided to do this at the same time and all versions of the emails will be sent at the same moment. However we kept few dummy emails, which we use to do with every campaign, so when we recieved campaigns which we have sent firstly within few hours and the later versions were recieved next day, so the process which was to be learned in single day is now distributed in two days and the results were not useful as the campaign was based on single day event.
And with all this process i realized that for it may be easy for starters to learn but if you need to deep dive into it then you have to refer some other platforms too and see which you are more comfortable with.

MailChimp's recent changes in products and pricing

Reviewed on 28/05/2019
Amanda H.
Assistant Director
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, our experience has been positive. We have had very few technical issues and the site itself almost never goes down.

Pros: We primarily use MailChimp for email campaigns, sending more than 5 million emails a year to more than 350,000 constituents. MailChimp has been consistent in its reliability and send data, with reporting tools that are helpful and timely as we plan for follow-up activities. It also provides comparative data so we can see how we are trending in relation to similar organizations.

Cons: The recent change in their pricing structure puts our organization at a disadvantage. We use the "pay as you go" model due to our large list size, and these credits now expire, limiting our ability to purchase the larger bulk credits that are more fiscally responsible for our university. The other sticking point for us is customer service -- there is no phone number associated and all trouble-shooting must be done via email which can significantly lengthen the time between a reported issue and its fix.

Must have to any marketing and sales effort!

Reviewed on 20/07/2018
Josemaria G.
Vice Director for External Affairs
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: MailChimp is a welcome tool for just about any Marketing campaign! The automation it provides will save you a lot of time and effort so you can focus on managing the leads. The reporting tool is pretty comprehensive and the Forever Free Plan is worth giving a try. The Pro features that come with the paid plans are worth it as well, especially for crucial marketing periods during the fiscal year.

Pros: We used to send out marketing emails manually, batch by batch, divide and conquer among our staff. Using MailChimp saved us a lot of time and effort by allowing us to automate the sending of emails, and even track the effectiveness of the content and automate some scripted replies. Another thing I liked the most is that MailChimp provides 15 templates to start with (instead of having to build from scratch). For beginners and those who are hesistant, the Forever Free Plan allows you to have up to 2,500 subscribers and to send out up to 12,000 emails/month. That's quite a lot already especially for small businesses. To reach out to a bigger audience, you may want to consider the paid plans. Sales and Marketing team will love its reporting tool to see the effectiveness of your campaign and email interaction from your target audience. It is also integrable to third-party apps and e-commerce platforms.

Cons: The template automations are great, but for more complex marketing workflows, we really had a difficult time (maybe because our correspondence is rather too complex and multi-step). Keep in mind also that you'll have to clean up your list of subscribers since duplicate entries will still be charged to the subscriber count.

Great for sending weekly news out!

Reviewed on 1/02/2019
Claudia C.
Head Secretary
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Mailchimp is a wonderful email campaign platform that helps the church members at the church stay connected with what is going on every single week. Many people look forward to receiving it. I also like how I can see who has viewed your campaign, and how many times a link has been clicked. I also enjoy being able to send drafts of the campaign to multiple e-mail addresses so that I can get input and feedback from various people before sending out the final one. It helps get the work done and info out in a creative way.

Pros: I liked the ability to be creative with the fonts, display settings, choose from numerous, different templates that are available, and can even put GIPHY's in there too! I use this to send out weekly newsletters to members of a presbyterian church so that they can stay in touch with everything that is going on in the church. Announcements, sermon titles, pictures, and meeting location/dates/times are all uploaded and displayed in any way I want. I also like how I can put links to PDF files, websites, e-mail addresses, etc.

Cons: Limited fonts to choose from, and inability to make a change after you send the e-mail out. Often times, when I found a mistake in a campaign I had already sent, I couldn't update the campaign to show the correction. I would have to make another campaign and send that newer version out again, which might confuse a lot of people. Also, sometimes, it would appear differently on different e-mails (i.e. aol.com vs. gmail.com vs. work e-mail).

Sending and monitoring gazillions of emails made easy!

Reviewed on 10/07/2018
Alvaro M.
Account Manager
Utilities, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Free version was workable for our small business. We upgraded to a paid plan for another use-case of marketing/sales for our International event. Saved us a lot of time by automating the sending or emails, including our prepared auto-replies. The analytics tool is very handy in analyzing the reach and effectiveness of our marketing campaign.

Pros: We needed to send our tons of emails for marketing and sales promotion of our recent international symposium. MailChimp helped us tons by handling the sending our of the emails, monitoring the receiver interaction (wherein we were able to automate certain auto-replies/categorization thereafter). Best feature for us: The Analytics Tool - very useful to see how many were reached, sent, received, clicked on a link, etc. 2nd Best feature: The Auto-responder - you can already set the script or logic of your email correspondence based on the expected replies and prepared email answers. And of course, for the small (perhaps up to medium-sized) businesses, the free plan may be workable for you. Until you decide to upgrade to a paid plan.

Cons: If you're looking at a very wide audience / number of subscribers... this service may come a bit pricey. But hey, more chances of sales success as well. So just balance it. Understandably, the reports aren't displayed in real time. You can refresh the screen, but it takes a bit of time to load (relative to this era of modern fast paced apps/tech).

Best email marketing tool so far

Reviewed on 28/01/2019
Dishant S.
crowd sourcing
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience with the Mailchimp is quite good. I am quite satisfied with the service it offers. The best part is the eye-catching templates. It has helped me to increase my subscribers engagement with us. I can track what is working and what's not. I will surely recommend this to other business or website owners.

Pros: MailChimp is entirely a beast in automating the email marketing. I have been using this software for my site. We have been using it to grow and generate leads for our business through email marketing. I love MailChimp because it's straightforward to use software unlike other email marketing software out there. One feature that can be very helpful for a complete beginner is to let the new users use the software entirely at no cost till a limit of 2000 email subscribers. It will give them a good understanding of the features and usage of the MailChimp. One can easily create fantastic email templates without knowing even a single line of code. These templates are beautiful and will help to increase the CTR and hence generate leads. The paid version is also very affordable. It provides the ability to send beautifully and targetted emails to unlimited people. Through the A split testing, one can see whether what things will work and what's not? It is an excellent way to know the impact of a campaign.

Cons: The pro plan which is meant for the business owners is a bit expensive. Though, I liked the pricing of the pre-plan but, the pro plan is quite costly. Another limit which I would like to mention here is the inability to delete a subscriber list. Many times, it happens that a business potential targetted list changes. And, the owner wants to remove the old subscriber list. In this case, Mailchimp will only allow you to delete it if it has not been used since the past seven days. I mean, I want the freedom to cancel or modify it anytime I want.

Their instructions could be better, but I have found MailChimp to be a great resource.

Reviewed on 28/07/2018
Co-Producer, Writer, Media Manager
Customer Support

Pros: I like that they offer free use for the 1st 2000 subscribers. That by itself is the #1 reason why anyone looking to start a subscription list should try MailChimp first. 2nd reason people should try it...MailChimp collecting peoples' email addresses and sending emails out from blog posts -- that just works great once you get things set up. And if you want to send out just a regular email - not something connected to a published blog post - that's even easier. The 3rd thing I love is the ability to see who opens the emails and who doesn't. And some other helpful analytics about how people behave when they receive your email. You don't have to have a degree in statistics to understand the quick stats that MailChimp offers.

Cons: For some reason, the way they set up Campaigns and lists always slows me down. I don't know why. But if I have a client who wants me to do something quick, I have to slow down my thinking and figure out what part of either the Campaign or the list does that X task belong in first. An example: a client wanted me to have MailChimp mail something new out immediately to his recipients who subscribe to rss feeds. Here's where some time was lost: trying to determine how to avoid creating a new campaign for a one-off email to go to the list that receives rss feeds. We ended up posting on his blog, setting up a new time and date for MailChimp to search the website for new content (and then to send out), waiting for the email to get sent out, and then going back to the campaign to change the time when MailChimp sends out new posts. There's something a little clunky about it. Editing of mail templates is ... trying. It's not rocket science to make your own template, but again there's a clunkiness there. I had a client who was extremely specific on the design. If I edited "blogs" template while in use for "Weds blogs" and then selected "blogs" template for a new campaign - "thurs blogs" the changes I made in the template assigned to Weds were not reflected
in Thurs blogs. CONFUSING!

Easy and practical

Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Online Marketing
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is a great software for marketing agencies or individuals because it is free up to 2000 subscribers and very easy to learn how to use with all the help articles and tutorial videos.

Pros: MailChimp is very easy to use! I have been using it for over 3 years and I am very satisifed with the software, they are constantly improving the site, it became very easy to navigate. The support system is great, there are tutorials and help articles that explain step by step how to create lists etc. They have two factor authentication that keeps the account safe. It has a free, basic plan, after you exceed 2000 subscribers, you always know how much you need to pay and it sends you a notification when you are adding new subscribers and about to exceed your monthly plan. You can schedule newsletters based on the time zone, which is extremly useful in the US. But MailChimp can analyze your subscribers and suggest the optimal sending time if you prefer to choose that. It sends me emails every day about the campaign activities, unsubscribers that helps me keep the list up to date. The analytic tools are great, you can see how many people opened the email, how many times they clicked on certain links, If you are curious about a subscriber all their activity is available on their profile. The most useful feature, in my opinion, is that you can send automatic follow up emails to those who have not opened the first email, or have not clicked on it.

Cons: Certain features (such as sending campaigns with time wrap) only available on the paid plan, which is a little pricy. The different list management tools like tags, groups and segments are confusing at first.

So easy that a chimp could use it...

Reviewed on 3/05/2019
Special Field Agent
Broadcast Media, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is so easy to use. You just plug in the information and attach images as needed. No special HTML coding like we had to use with our Outlook sometimes. Entering our mailing list was also a breeze since we had it imported. For Outlook, as I recall, I could only send at most to 500 email addresses at a time. Otherwise we would be considered spamming people. To be on the safe side I would send to no more than 450 people at a time. When we had bouncebacks I had to manually remove people's email addresses. This all took up so much of my time and my inbox. Mailchimp streamlines all of this ad simplifies my work life. I don't use this at my current job but would definitely recommend for smaller businesses if they want to save their time.

Pros: Okay, that was a bad attempt at trying to parody the Geico/caveman commercials, and an insult to chimps. But I wanted to highlight how easy it was to use. I used this at an old job of mine (a 3-person office) at a non-profit organization. Because my boss was stuck in her ways for the longest time she didn't want to get with the times. She didn't utilize social media to promote our shows (I worked in theatre), she kept reaching out to the same schools and community organizations year after year. It wasn't until we had a new employee who took over fundraising and marketing that Mailchimp was implemented. Before that we kept using the same template in Outlook to send out newsletters. It was clunky to use and not very appealing to the receiver. Enter Mailchimp. It has such a simple, eye-catching, dashboard, and user interface yet it looked professional. Many theatre organizations I am on the mailing list of use Mailchimp as a standard. It's so standard we see the template all the time.

Cons: For the free version you are not able to send to more than 2000 email addresses, which worked for us because we didn't have that many (which is unfortunate for us, but that's besides the point). And as mentioned under the 'Pros' section, it's so standard that you see the same template all the time so it gets a little old and if you are trying to be unique while using the free version, then you won't get far.