Spiceworks IT Help Desk Reviews

by Spiceworks

• Overall
    4.4/5
    4.3/5
    4.2/5

About Spiceworks IT Help Desk

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks IT Help Desk

Jesica B.
CRM Manager
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/03/2019

"Spiceworks will answer all your questions"

Comments: Spiceworks suggests free solutions so, it would be stupidмн not to recommend you this amazing software. It is an easy platform and, believe me, you won’t have any problem to use it. I should also mention that it well suits to small companies but larger companies should probably search for another solution.

Pros: There is one feature of Spiceworks which I appreciate the most. It gives you the opportunity to check your network and find out what devices are connected to it. This means that it provides a lot of information about those devices such as their IP addresses. Another advantage of this platform is that it is completely free. If we compare the quality of work of Spiceworks with other platforms, it will become obvious that this help desk can do freely more than other expensive platforms. I think it is hard to find a person who knows everything about his profession or field of work. From time to time everyone needs to look for some help or extra information. In these cases you should at least know where you can find the required information. People engaged with information technologies already know that Spiceworks is their best solution. You can find the answers to your questions in the forums or you can type your question and get feedback.

Cons: The first issue I should mention is the app itself. As for the mobile app, it is heavily text-based, it would be nice to see more graphics there. In addition, I would like to see one app which shows the community and the form together.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of commercial which can be annoying but on the other hand, it is understandable: the platform is free and it depends on ads to get some income.
I wish it could be easier to work with tickets and especially the deleting function.

• Reviewed on 7/03/2019
John K.
IT Consultant
Computer Networking, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2019

"SpiceWorks Cloud IT helpdesk for free!"

Comments: Spiceworks IT Helpdesk Cloud version does everything I want from a cloud based Ticketing system so even though its lacking some features which I hope will get added soon as ive mentioned earlier it does do everything you would expect from a basic IT Support helpdesk ticketing system. So if your looking for a free IT helpdesk solution I would really try out Spiceworks offering and also take a look at there cloud hosted version which I use myself.

Pros: Spiceworks ive used the community for years now so when I found there IT Helpdesk I started to use it but I then stopped for a while until there cloud IT Helpdesk came out which for me works best as I dont need to worry about hosting anywhere. So now I have a great IT helpdesk for my clients to log tickets with all for free!

Cons: The only Con to Spiceworks IT Helpdesk was that I was initially released as a windows installer which didnt really work for my business as I dont have my own servers, it wasnt until the Cloud IT helpdesk version came out that I then started to use Spiceworks IT helpdesk again as my client IT helpdesk solution. Its also lacking some features you would see in premium solutions but it does the basics and works for my IT Consultancy business.

• Reviewed on 21/10/2019
Steven C.
IT Support Technician
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2020

"Spiceworks Helpdesk Cloud - Small Enterprise"

Comments: We have been able to improve our response time to user issues by appropriately configuring ticket categories, assignment rules. The number of walk-ups to the help desk has been cut by more than 50%, which has permitted our IT support staff to be able to manage their time more efficiently. Our TTR has improved, as well as the level of customer satisfaction within our organization

Pros: This application is extremely easy to set up and configure. It can be configured as an on-premise application or in the cloud. Administration is managed through a dashboard which permits administrators to manage roles for support personnel to whom tickets will be assigned. Tickets can be automatically assigned to individuals or teams based on configurable categories and ticket rules. There are standard data entry fields included and the administrator can add additional fields as needed. For example, during the Coronavirus pandemic, with everyone working from home, we added a mandatory phone number data entry field to our ticket layout. Data entry fields can be made mandatory if desired. When a ticket is created by a user, the ticket is entered into the system with all of the information provided by the user and the user receives a confirmation email. The ticket will be assigned to the proper support agent or team based on the rules configured within the application. Any replies to that email are automatically added to the ticket with date and time added. Tickets can be easily closed upon completion. Duplicate tickets can be merged into one ticket which helps with management of the ticket queue. The user portal is easily customizable with company name and other options. Users can even attach a screenshot or other file to the ticket to provide useful information beyond the text description of the user problem. Best of all, it can be used for free.

Cons: Since this is a free IT Help Desk application, it is not nearly as full featured as some other IT Help Desk applications. Reporting is not as robust as some other applications. However, you can easily download information in .csv format and create your own reports if needed.

• Reviewed on 10/05/2020
Josh B.
IT Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2017

"Awesome IT Help Desk software, horrible inventory system."

Pros: Spiceworks is great for managing help desk tickets. Using HTML we've been able to customize our end-user portal. Create multiple ticket templates to capture the details we truly need from end-users. We have found that the mobile application for iOS and Android to be the best on the market. It has a great GUI, very user friendly, informative, and easy to set up.

Cons: The inventory system is lacking when it comes to producing accurate information. At one point this year we were upgrading our end users to dual monitors. We attempted to use Spiceworks to produce the make and model of the current monitor the end users were using. It came back telling us a generic description. I ended up writing a batch file that would obtain them remotely and that was accurate. We've also had issues where it would scan a computer that had 2 monitors but would only show one. We also went through a license key audit and thought we could rely on Spiceworks to produce accurate results. It ended up showing us that several computers had 3 iterations of office installed. I understand that these keys are in the registry but other similar scanners would only produce keys for whats actually installed on the workstation by cross-referencing installed applications and registry keys. We recently have been experiencing issues where Spiceworks would attempt to scan 180 assets and it would fail to complete the scan without errors. We found this out by using WSUS to determine how many computers we had and Spiceworks was off by 30 assets of the 180. At least twice a week it also locks up and our end users can't access the help desk portal to submit tickets. We've chosen to use LanSweeper to track assets. LanSweeper produced accurate results in a fraction of the time Spiceworks produced incomplete results. Spiceworks took 8+ hours, LanSweeper <30 minutes.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2017
Business Improvement & IT Manager
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"Amazing for the Price (FREE)"

Comments: I don't know why I didnt try this soon, i think you presume if something doesnt have a high price tag then it wont be any good, but i was very wrong.

Pros: I love the ease of the ticketing system and the professionalism of the emails that come out from it. I have used some other IT help desk platforms but this one works really well.

Cons: The app isnt particularly slick but it works. I think in they could spend a bit more time on the app it would increase their portfolio tenfold. For the price it is a gem and you cannot go wrong.

Patrick C.
System Admin
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2020

"Best ticketing system"

Comments: This tool has been great for us. It’s very user friendly which was better then other ticketing systems we looked at. It’s been very beneficial to be able to keep track of our tickets. One huge benefit is the use of the mobile tool to be able to access and our modify the ticket when our users are on call

Pros: Great tool for ticketing system. Being a small company we used excel to track calls and troubleshooting with customers and we needed a better solution to keep track of all the calls and tickets created. It’s been great that we can access this in office and on our mobile device to refer to past notes in a ticket when we are on call. One benefit that we love is adding and modifying fields in the ticketing system to keep track of certain information of the customer

Cons: Having gone from tracking our own calls manually this has been a huge benefit and we haven’t noticed any downsides to using this.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2020
System admin

"IT HELP DESK. "

Comments: I highly enjoyed using this product and now with the other clients I manage with large office staffs we are also moving to this system.

Pros: I used this ticket system when I was apart of a IT team that setup a new casino network, software, servers and etc. I started with this software and a IT Tech user and handling my tickets. This software helped me do my job more effectively. I handled my tickets and assets in one location. It allows you to keep track of which user gets which device and I used the assets by mac address. Which in the end saved me a lot of time and frustration. Other techs didn't use the asset the same way so tracking down your devices after deployment is a nightmare. Even from the end user traning was a lot easier to handle because how easy this software is to use.

Cons: I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a setup issue. But when a user sends a email it would not auto fill in the info for the level of urgency.

Gilbert S.
computer specialist
Government Administration, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/05/2020

"Above average Trouble Ticket System"

Comments: I work in Government Agency and we use Spicework as our IT Ticket System. We instruct our users to open Tickets and the Tickets send emails to the IT Team Members who then comment and or update the Ticket.

Pros: The Website Portal is very intuitively laid out. Creating Tickets and then Commenting on them makes it easier to work as a Team and tackle a wide variety of IT problems. The Website Portal also makes it easy to merge similar Tickets together.

Cons: The software to setup your own Spiceworks Ticket Server is practically free, the only draw back is the ads. Not a very big deal the ads are not in you face or play annoying music like some websites are starting to do. To clarify Spiceworks ads do not play any music and are at least IT related.

• Reviewed on 8/05/2020
Nathan W.
IT Manager
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"The helpdesk to end all helpdesks"

Pros: It is free, great community for questions and answers and very very user friendly. Set up is fast and simple. You can even customize the emails sent back to the user after the ticket is created.

Cons: there really is not anything that I do not like about this software.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
Regina C.
IT Director
Entertainment, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2019

"Can I give it 100 stars?"

Comments: My users use it! What can I say? I've implemented help desks, sometimes multiple times, at every company I've worked with and this product is awesome. It's not only free, but it's functionality and ease of use for the users makes it really compete with some of the expensive software out here.

Pros: FREE! Easy to use! Easy to customize! Huge support base!

Cons: There are a few small customizations that I would actually pay for but can't make, but really, it's small peanuts compared to how great this software is.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2019
Manager, Business Systems
Wholesale, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"SpiceWorks does the job, for free-ninety-nine."

Comments: Prior to SpiceWorks we relied on emails from users with issues, and each IT person might manage those emails in their own way - flagging for followup, marking as unread, subfolders of their inbox, reminders, etc. Issues often were forgotten before being resolved as they moved further down in the IT inbox. We would often work on issues that another IT person already knew the answer to, thus wasting time. Spiceworks has made it so much easier to keep track of issues and their resolutions. IT supervisors can see at a glance if any of their people are struggling, and how quickly issues are resolved. Each ticket is categorized (Phone System, PC Hardware, Network, etc.) so its easy to see if things are getting better or worse. You can reply to a ticket with a suggested solution, categorize it, and close it, all using the "Tickets Anywhere" keywords.

Pros: It allows us to prioritize tickets, identify recurring problems, and prevent requests from "falling through the cracks". It provides our employees a single email address for getting help without them having to know who in IT does what. It is fairly configurable to meet different needs - we use it for warehouse and logistics issues as well as IT Help Desk. Tickets can be assigned, categorized, closed, etc. using "Tickets Anywhere" keywords when replying to the email so you don't even have to open the site to work tickets.

Cons: Emails sent to Spiceworks are converted to plain text with attachments, so tables and in-line images are lost. Due to this we sometimes have to ask the user to forward the email directly to us in order to see the original. There is a delay of between 1 and 5 minutes after an email is sent to Spiceworks before the Spiceworks email is received by team members, so we occasionally have more than one person starting to work on a ticket at the same time - especially if the ticket can be resolved simply by replying to the email.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Amber T.
IT Project Assistant
Consumer Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2018

"Very User-Friendly"

Comments: It's been great. Since we've started using this (about a year ago) it has definitely improved our productivity, communication, and efficiency as an entire IT dept.

Pros: Oh, where to start! I love that anyone in our company can email a specific address that we have set up to forward from Spiceworks and it will automatically forward it to everyone on the IT team so we don't have to continue checking the actual software every 5 minutes. Also, when someone responds, it goes directly to the ticket assignee's email and we can respond from either the platform or our emails. It's also nice that it sends reminders of open tickets or things that have been untouched for a while. I like the dashboard to see the frequency of opened/closed tickets, as well as see which issues are the most prominent. The actual tickets have areas to specify the category of the issue as well as a 3rd party ticket# so it's easy to find. There is also a knowledge base that we can refer to people who have had similar problems as others in the past. And everything is in the cloud so we don't have to host anything to ensure that it's saved :) They just added a remote session option too which could come in super handy when troubleshooting an issue. Oh, and I like that it has internal as well as public notes and it saves a history of everything so can go back and revisit a closed ticket that was taken care of months ago.

Cons: The attachments are a little finicky. As in, it doesn't allow "inline" attachments (for when I want to show a screenshot in the middle of my explanation). And if I want to download a screenshot from a ticket, I have to right-click it and save (not a big deal) rather than just click on the print icon that's usually present in other attachment previews on different sites (like Gmail, per say). But honestly, I haven't really dealt with many other IT ticket help desk platforms so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The only other things I don't like are things that are user-error based. Like how if we don't update the category or the ticket type in the actual ticket, the proper stats won't show in the dashboard.

• Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Victor A.
IT Manager
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/06/2018

"Spiceworks a great Help Desk suite with AiO preset that'll transform IT units into Rockstars!"

Comments: I would recommend Spiceworks since can give you details that some other apps might be skipping out just like agent-less scanning that provides complete system details, including things like license keys for Microsoft software and toner levels on printers, the ability to manage Active Directory users and policies.
For sure the Purchasing tracking system will give you a hand to develop the IT Budget and track down your top ten assets requirements.

Pros: The ticketing system works great you can set categories and customize the SLA's at your convenience and with the reporting tool you can build your own Ticket time tracking charts and accomplishment report of tickets assigned and complete that works great for newly IT departments that want to leverage their support standards. It includes a user portal so people can keep track of their tickets but also allows tickets creation/update via email which makes things so simple for the end user you can customize this portal with the company logo and preset the auto response message using HTML code.
We have been using the inventory feature which is really robust gives plenty details about the IT assets and their warranties. You can set networks scans and Spiceworks will give you very detailed information about everything on your network.

Cons: Spiceworks software network management needs a lot of the time it is discovering items that you have no interest in managing remotely and yet it keeps finding stuff and bringing it to your attention. The ability to manually add inventory items gets overlapped for the constant network scanning.
Spiceworks could open up their code a bit more. Since some specific needs that wouldn't be difficult to integrate/allow but that aren't done with the OpenSource collaboration to add more features and solve the lack of some specific UX desirable features.

• Reviewed on 6/06/2018
Jeff R.
IT Director
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/02/2020

"Bang for your Buck, especially when it is free!"

Comments: I have used Spiceworks in 2 different IT Shops now and will continue to use them. I have attended SpiceWorld twice and will be attending it again this year. They bring the best IT companies together.

Pros: It's Free. It has a great mobile app that allows my techs to have access to the portal from anywhere. It is simple to use. It is cloud based. It comes with a free remote control tool (ZoHo) as well.

Cons: Advertisements. You have to expect that with anything that is free. We may upgrade to the paid version this year. Limited options in regards to the User Portal.

• Reviewed on 6/02/2020
Information Technology Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/05/2018

"Spiceworks IT Helpdesk offers great value for money. Most outstanding is the support."

Comments: The software provides a complete inventory even if stretched over multiple locations and networks; a complete ticketing system, knowledge base system and many other tools that are of good quality to manage day to day incidences and requests.
The inventory scan provides great detail of networked devices and peripherals e.g. serials, make, model, status, warranty and many more.
Customisable views allow you to quickly focus on the details necessary to troubleshoot issues.

Pros: Community forum. Personally, I consider forums a waste of time since you normally have to look for ages and still never get the answer you need. Communities are based that "someone has experienced this problem before" and is willing to share in all detail what the problem (can be awkward) and share the solution as well.
On the Spiceworks community (cheers!), we have always found answers that you usually only find on paid communities (details, scripts etc). The software (FREE!) gives you a great overview, even if you are spread over multiple locations and/or multiple networks. A complete inventory and a ticketing system that are customisable and ready to integration software and scripts. What more do you want for free?

Cons: This is definitely not the worst but it takes a bit of getting used how Spiceworks operates. Like other platforms there is a learning curve. Some integration with other 3rd party software might not be straight forward but then there is the awesome community.

• Reviewed on 4/05/2018
Demitri P.
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2015

"Essential to my daily function"

Pros: This is a free product, which in itself is impressive when you consider what you are being offered. In addition to a customizable ticketing system, you are given an inventory system, and a newly added network monitoring function which so far has been nothing short of impressive (Until now I have been using PRTG Monitor, which in itself is a wonderful tool, but not free.) The initial setup is very easy, and and Spiceworks as a service has very low hardware requirements, meaning you can run it on an older laptop fairly well. The reporting function is a massive lifesaver, as it can help you generate a flexible list of everything from tickets (very flexible in what you want displayed, and how you want it sorted,) to your IT inventory (sorted by office location, purchase date, etc.) The ability to send these reports to our company's upper management to show hours spent on particular projects per month, or what assets need to be replaced due to original purchase date, is a very big plus. The community portal itself is full of helpful people who are always willing to share their knowledge. On multiple occasions where I had to find a solution to a technical problem, I found people who were quickly able to pull more details from each instance, and provide a brief list of solutions in a fairly short amount of time. When you are backed against a wall, this can be a massive lifesaver.

Cons: Plugin compatibility. Some older plugins may no longer work well with newer version of the software, as well as some of the newest plugins requiring the latest update, but these are just minor nitpicks.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2015
Technology Manager
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/04/2019

"Free help desk and ticketing system with integrated AD-compatible inventory"

Comments: We have used the Spiceworks ticketing system for a few years and have been very pleased by the customization options, support, and overall performance of it. It has helped to streamline the efforts of our tech team and help us to effectively organize and delegate. From the ticket overview, you can see what tickets are new, outstanding, and who their owners are (if any). The customer portal side and automated responses are very customization as well, which helps to get your tech communications effectively branded for your organization.

Pros: The fact that it is a free product helps it to stand out. Beside that, when we did have an issue, the support was fantastic in helping us to track down and remedy the source of the problem. We really like the amount of detail you can see at a glance when using the help desk because it can aggregate the data from inventory which can include hardware devices and users. There are also many very handy plugins for Spiceworks that can help in countless ways.

Cons: Since our users had a habit of submitting tickets with numerous large attachments, the ticket database became kind of unwieldy and there wasn't a clear way to actually delete tickets or their attachments from the database. This is good and bad, in that there's no accidental deletion of ticket history, but it can be frustration if space on the hosting server is very limited.

• Reviewed on 25/04/2019
Sergey M.
Manager, Technology Infrastructure and Compliance
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/07/2018

"Great HelpDesk / Inventory solution"

Comments: Cost, up-to-date picture of the hardware inventory, logs, that can be used for internal audit purposes.

Pros: I used a free version of Spiceworks for several years. Installation of the application only takes few minutes. In just a few clicks you have a full robust system for ticketing and inventory. Another great perk is Spiceworks community, merely priceless resource where all the IT folks share their knowledge and can help you with random IT dramas. Great way to keep an eye on the hardware inventory. Getting it configured and working properly can be a challenge, but the results are well worth it. Not to mention great helpdesk ticketing functionality, that allows to put an order on how your service requests are processed on a daily basis.

Cons: I've only used a free version of the application. As I mentioned, one of the key reasons why I got it was for inventory purposes. Getting it work was a challenge. A lot of tweaking had to be done on the network to be able to query all of my PC and Mac workstations and servers. Nevertheless, the result was well worth it. Additionally, while the inventory is running, the system would be somewhat slow, but still managable. Great product! I highly recommend it to all IT admins out there.

• Reviewed on 4/07/2018
Racey C.
IT Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2017

"Easily the best completely free helpdesk software out there"

Pros: I like that it works well for a small to medium sized environment, I like that it has never crashed or given me a single problem in the five years I've used it as our only help desk ticketing solution, and I like that it costs absolutely nothing. It includes some other features like network monitoring, SNMP monitoring, etc., but we've never used any of those features. If you really need that type of functionality I'd recommend going with a more robust solution built for that purpose. All we needed was something to handle support request tickets and it has been great for that. If you have a very large environment you'll probably want to go with a more robust solution, but for our 100+ users this has been completely fine.

Cons: If I had to find something to complain about, I guess I would say that I don't care for the fact that its HTML based and is rendered in a browser window. I'm sure many people don't find this a con, I'm just personally used to working with an application installed locally and find the interface to be a little laggy compared to the snappy performance of something like Autotask. Not much to complain about in a free solution though.

• Reviewed on 5/12/2017
Dustin M.
Field Technician
Computer Hardware, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2018

"Simply essential to every day I.T. Life!"

Comments: There is really nothing to say but this software is excellent. I use it daily for ticketing, tracking, research and even I.T. related news clips. It's an essential one stop HUB for everything I.T. and best of all it's free.

Pros: Spiceworks is the software that my company uses for ticketing and a secondary asset tracking system. Since I've been using it I've found that it's infinitely more helpful than at first it seemed. The ticketing system is very simple to set up and tracks and assigns tickets very well. Besides the ticketing and asset tracking I love all the plug-ins that are available as well as the Spiceworks community. There are very few resources where you will find a more helpful bunch of users who have real world experience and can answer anything you might need to ask. I always find someone who has broken down extremely technical knowledge that makes it easier for me to learn and expand.

Cons: The software can sometimes be a bit slow to respond. There will at times be an odd lag in the software even though there is nothing taxing happening on the server and resources look fine. This is a minor occurrence and can be fixed by restarting the service on the server.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2018
Omar G.
IT Server Administrator
Plastics, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/04/2019

"Excellent Help Desk, Easy To Implement"

Comments: We needed a help desk that was not only to record computer problems, but we also wanted to help us have greater visibility of the IT environment, computers that fail more, more common failures in the equipment and take advantage of that information to improve. Is very easy to implement, has integration with active directory and the visibility it gives you of the IT environment. The web site has a very complete guide for its installation and deployment. The tool goes beyond a simple help desk as you can have there Your inventory of equipment (hardware and software) and for example uninstall applications from the help desk.

Pros: It is a very complete help desk allows you to have a great visibility of what is happening with the statistics of category breakdown, work by engineer, attention time, etc.. In addition you can create an internal knowledge base, allows you to have your inventory of equipment, reports, purchase records associated with a ticket, etc.. It is very easy to use for the end user because he only has to send a mail to a specific email address and his ticket is registered in the system. It is very stable and reliable.

Cons: It takes time to adjust it to your needs, but it has a great forum where everyone helps you.

• Reviewed on 3/04/2019
Director of IT
Higher Education, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2018

"Considering the cost, it's a VERY powerful application"

Comments: Very happy we got it. It is one of the most stable, reliable things we run here. It has genuinly made things smoother and easier for my IT Department. And yes, we are running the free version (so you know it's not a "paid indorsement"). If I ever changed jobs, Spiceworks would be the FIRST thing I installed at a new place. So much bang for low to no cost and a short learning curve

Pros: Does a great job of managing our help desk ticketing system. Nobody likes making tickets, but with 4 techs watching the que, problems get resolved faster. We have been using the system for years. Very stable. The inventorying is reasonably robust - will let you quickly spot machines that are not up to spec for a planned upgrade.

Cons: The polling and reporting on down devices is weak. You find out a device is down long after it actually went down, and then for DAYS it continues to aleret you the device is down (even though you have brought it back up). If you try and close the ticket, spiceworks gleefully creates another one, even though the problem is long gone.
That said, we did not install this to be a network monitor, so any monitoring functionality is just icing on the cake.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2018
Dustin S.
Superintendent of Information Technology
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2018

"Great for a free helpdesk, but the community is where it shines"

Pros: First off, nobody has ever complained about free. Spiceworks itself does what it is meant to do -- it provides a simple helpdesk for you and your users, with basic features you'd expect from a support system. It's full of little things, like a built-in knowledge base, built-in remote support, integrations with other tools, etc. The real value in Spiceworks though is it's community; it's like Experts Exchange on steroids. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and vendors have direct representation in the forums to help you with both sales and support questions. It rarely feels like anyone is trying to sell you anything in Spiceworks' community, but at the end of the day you end up buying from some vendors *because* of how they treat you there. It's incredible.

Cons: Inventory... inventory is not good. If you don't get it set up perfectly the first time, you might as well turn it off and forget about it. There's still no really good way to handle historical data and devices you no longer control.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2018
Google Trusted Independent Photographer
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2019

"Perfect starter IT Help Desk software with additional tools for Small Business sysadmins"

Comments: Our small 3-person IT team needed a basic and easy-to-use helpdesk software for our technicians and end-users. Spiceworks was easy to install and meets all of our requirements, with a little bit of feature bloat (but it's free!). While I am sure we could pay money for a more customizable, modular, ad-free system, its simplicity and reliability is incredibly valuable in our IT department.

Pros: -Offers basic helpdesk features - email to ticket, email notifications, simple reports/metrics - and a simple interface for L1+ technicians. No training is required
-Knowledge Base is a great place for documentation, and to refer users for duplicate tickets
-No frills, easy to setup, requires virtually no maintenance when hosted on a Windows server (we do not use the cloud version)

Cons: -Inventory and Network Monitor just seem to add bloat for the minimal usefulness that they are - we can do a better job with other free tools like The Dude
-Paying to remove ads still won't reclaim any screen space that they take up, just a replacement with your own graphic - I don't believe this is worth it

• Reviewed on 12/02/2019
Tim M.
IT Manager/Systems Administrator
Real Estate
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"A System Administrators best friend"

Pros: Spiceworks is a totally free piece of software if you choose to self-host. Getting things up and running is pretty easy, and it doesn't involve a huge amount of upkeep to keep the inventory data up to date. It also comes with access to the Spiceworks online community. This is a gathering place for a large array of computer savvy folks who help each other out with questions, answers, and access to pieces of software that make life easier. I have reached out to the community many times, and gotten some great feedback on issues I have had, and suggestions on hardware and software purchases. I also like the ability to build my own help desk portal where end users can submit tickets for easier tracking and resolution.

Cons: I have had some issues with the self-hosted software crashing from time to time. I have not been able to figure out why it needs a random reboot to keep it happy, but it only happens every couple of months, so it really isn't a huge issue to me.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2018