15 years helping New Zealand businesses

Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk Reviews

About Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk

Pros:

Integrated decently with Exchange. Very low cost and a good KB.

Cons:

The biggest con is that if you have a "team" in your Spiceworks, it's a bit of a pain to get the inventory cross-team.

Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk ratings

4.3
4.2
4.2
4.6

8.5/10

Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 561 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk before?

Joshua
Joshua
System Administrator in UK
Banking, 51–200 Employees

Ever looking for an IT Asset Management App to use ..... Spiceworks has it all

Comments: My life became easy when I stated using Spice work to update all the IT assets, as I can add new devices from anywhere and monitor who was assign to a particular device for tracking and report documentation.

Pros:

The beauty of updating IT Assets all in one place from Mobile device to Laptops to Printers and the ability to save credentials for assessing those devices in a shot note for easy of continuity.

Cons:

I haven't find any fault using the app, so there is non for me to write

john
IT Consultant in Netherlands
Computer Networking, Self Employed

SpiceWorks Cloud IT helpdesk for free!

Comments: Spiceworks IT Helpdesk Cloud version does everything I want from a cloud based Ticketing system so even though its lacking some features which I hope will get added soon as ive mentioned earlier it does do everything you would expect from a basic IT Support helpdesk ticketing system. So if your looking for a free IT helpdesk solution I would really try out Spiceworks offering and also take a look at there cloud hosted version which I use myself.

Pros:

Spiceworks ive used the community for years now so when I found there IT Helpdesk I started to use it but I then stopped for a while until there cloud IT Helpdesk came out which for me works best as I dont need to worry about hosting anywhere. So now I have a great IT helpdesk for my clients to log tickets with all for free!

Cons:

The only Con to Spiceworks IT Helpdesk was that I was initially released as a windows installer which didnt really work for my business as I dont have my own servers, it wasnt until the Cloud IT helpdesk version came out that I then started to use Spiceworks IT helpdesk again as my client IT helpdesk solution. Its also lacking some features you would see in premium solutions but it does the basics and works for my IT Consultancy business.

Sara
Engineer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A good ticketing system!

4.0 last month New

Comments: Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk is a really good choice if you need to manage tickets and need an efficient system. The interface is intuitive and you learn fast how to use. You can customize the alerts and other features to better fit your organization needs. You can also use the interface via mobile/tablet and interact without problems (I mean "it fits well"). Thumbs up!

Pros:

Among the ticketing system for helpdesk purpouses, I think spiceworks is one of the best. The interface is quite simple and you will learn fast how to use and manage the tickets. Obviously there are many other features (for example managing users, creating reports), but I always use it as ticketing systems. Customers may send an email or log to interface with their accounts and open or update a ticket. You will reply to them via web interface and of course you can (and they can) attach files and images, in a fast and easy way. You can assign to others / deassing the tickets in case of need.

Cons:

I preferred the on premise version but it is not available anymore

Josh
IT Support Specialist in US

Awesome IT Help Desk software, horrible inventory system.

Pros:

Spiceworks is great for managing help desk tickets. Using HTML we've been able to customize our end-user portal. Create multiple ticket templates to capture the details we truly need from end-users. We have found that the mobile application for iOS and Android to be the best on the market. It has a great GUI, very user friendly, informative, and easy to set up.

Cons:

The inventory system is lacking when it comes to producing accurate information. At one point this year we were upgrading our end users to dual monitors. We attempted to use Spiceworks to produce the make and model of the current monitor the end users were using. It came back telling us a generic description. I ended up writing a batch file that would obtain them remotely and that was accurate. We've also had issues where it would scan a computer that had 2 monitors but would only show one. We also went through a license key audit and thought we could rely on Spiceworks to produce accurate results. It ended up showing us that several computers had 3 iterations of office installed. I understand that these keys are in the registry but other similar scanners would only produce keys for whats actually installed on the workstation by cross-referencing installed applications and registry keys. We recently have been experiencing issues where Spiceworks would attempt to scan 180 assets and it would fail to complete the scan without errors. We found this out by using WSUS to determine how many computers we had and Spiceworks was off by 30 assets of the 180. At least twice a week it also locks up and our end users can't access the help desk portal to submit tickets. We've chosen to use LanSweeper to track assets. LanSweeper produced accurate results in a fraction of the time Spiceworks produced incomplete results. Spiceworks took 8+ hours, LanSweeper <30 minutes.

Fabruzio
Technician in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Manage your tickets with Spicework Cloud Help Desk

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I use Spiceworks Cloud Help desk via computer but also via mobile phone, and i am able to have a look and interact with ticket even if I am not at the office, I think it's a very important feature having a well done website.

Pros:

Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk is crucial, speaking about ticket management. Customers can open and update their tickets via email or via web interface in a fast and easy way. The dashboard allows to view and manage - of course - the tickets, assign them, update and attach files, add comments (that won't be visible to customers), you can also view statistics and make reports. And if you are an administrator you can add new user and set their permissions. The interface is clean and you immediately know how it works (so, even a newbie can be operational really soon). Highly recommended.

Cons:

There is not an on premise version (they stop supporting it some years ago)

Matthew
Director of IT in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Help Desk Where You Want It

Comments: Starting a new role in the organization that had no Help Desk and no history or structure; Spiceworks proved to be the single biggest one thing that could be done right that would yeild improved IT services to the organization. User responsibility shifted to reporting IT issues using email and overall satisfaction improved and service impacting issues due to weaknesses in infrastructure, bad procedures or mislaid processes were identified by the ticketing system and corrected.

Pros:

I started using Spiceworks in the cloud and then copied the database and importing it to our VM and lost nothing. It is an efficient and easy to use platform. Adding techs and break-fix categories to track what needs to be improved proved to be successful. This allows IT to focus on root cause and then to deploy solutions to prevent the same.

Cons:

The reports need to be streamlined to remove redundancy. Quantity is not always a good thing and by compressing and focusing on key areas the reporting could be a lot better and less fractured.

Patrick
System Admin in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Best ticketing system

Comments: This tool has been great for us. It’s very user friendly which was better then other ticketing systems we looked at. It’s been very beneficial to be able to keep track of our tickets. One huge benefit is the use of the mobile tool to be able to access and our modify the ticket when our users are on call

Pros:

Great tool for ticketing system. Being a small company we used excel to track calls and troubleshooting with customers and we needed a better solution to keep track of all the calls and tickets created. It’s been great that we can access this in office and on our mobile device to refer to past notes in a ticket when we are on call. One benefit that we love is adding and modifying fields in the ticketing system to keep track of certain information of the customer

Cons:

Having gone from tracking our own calls manually this has been a huge benefit and we haven’t noticed any downsides to using this.

Shayla
Shayla
Human Resources Specialist in US
Internet, 1,001–5,000 Employees

It works well for a small business support desk

Comments: The UI is intuitive and easy to use, especially if you're new to helpdesk software. It's easy to use and efficient, making it ideal for a company with a small support staff. It's simple to use; I was able to set up my agents and ticket alerts and begin receiving tickets in a matter of minutes.

Pros:

For internal clients, we rely only on Spiceworks as our ticket-based support system. If a user experiences a problem that can be resolved by IT, they need only visit the site and, in a matter of seconds, create a ticket that includes screenshots and other information that will aid us in fixing the problem as soon as possible.

Cons:

My only gripe is that it is not simple to view all tickets in one place, regardless of their status, using the "my tickets" feature.

Paul
IT Manager in US
Shipbuilding, 51–200 Employees

Spiceworks - Ticket management

Comments: It is actually hosted by Spiceworks, so nothing local. Setup was very simple. It is used everyday. I can create tickets, there is a page for users to create tickets and they can be created via email. Once a ticket is created, you are notified by email. Very useful and simple.

Pros:

It is free. It works better than some of the others that I have tried. It is completely configurable for whatever category you need. Always works. Perfect for a simple ticketing system.

Cons:

Since it is free, there are ads that show on website. Not really an issue. Not as granular as some of the others.

Systems Administrator in Canada
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Ideal free helpdesk for small to medium businesses

Comments: Overall I have been very happy with Spiceworks, especially the community of users.

Pros:

It's impossible to beat the cost of free. The product is well designed and functions extremely well for the job it is designed for.

Cons:

Larger IT departments won't be able to route tickets to specific teams. It would be very nice if spiceworks could expand its offering to include sub service desks etc.

Amber
IT Project Assistant in US
Consumer Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Very User-Friendly

Comments: It's been great. Since we've started using this (about a year ago) it has definitely improved our productivity, communication, and efficiency as an entire IT dept.

Pros:

Oh, where to start! I love that anyone in our company can email a specific address that we have set up to forward from Spiceworks and it will automatically forward it to everyone on the IT team so we don't have to continue checking the actual software every 5 minutes. Also, when someone responds, it goes directly to the ticket assignee's email and we can respond from either the platform or our emails. It's also nice that it sends reminders of open tickets or things that have been untouched for a while. I like the dashboard to see the frequency of opened/closed tickets, as well as see which issues are the most prominent. The actual tickets have areas to specify the category of the issue as well as a 3rd party ticket# so it's easy to find. There is also a knowledge base that we can refer to people who have had similar problems as others in the past. And everything is in the cloud so we don't have to host anything to ensure that it's saved :) They just added a remote session option too which could come in super handy when troubleshooting an issue. Oh, and I like that it has internal as well as public notes and it saves a history of everything so can go back and revisit a closed ticket that was taken care of months ago.

Cons:

The attachments are a little finicky. As in, it doesn't allow "inline" attachments (for when I want to show a screenshot in the middle of my explanation). And if I want to download a screenshot from a ticket, I have to right-click it and save (not a big deal) rather than just click on the print icon that's usually present in other attachment previews on different sites (like Gmail, per say). But honestly, I haven't really dealt with many other IT ticket help desk platforms so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The only other things I don't like are things that are user-error based. Like how if we don't update the category or the ticket type in the actual ticket, the proper stats won't show in the dashboard.

Victor
IT Manager in Venezuela
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Spiceworks a great Help Desk suite with AiO preset that'll transform IT units into Rockstars!

Comments: I would recommend Spiceworks since can give you details that some other apps might be skipping out just like agent-less scanning that provides complete system details, including things like license keys for Microsoft software and toner levels on printers, the ability to manage Active Directory users and policies.
For sure the Purchasing tracking system will give you a hand to develop the IT Budget and track down your top ten assets requirements.

Pros:

The ticketing system works great you can set categories and customize the SLA's at your convenience and with the reporting tool you can build your own Ticket time tracking charts and accomplishment report of tickets assigned and complete that works great for newly IT departments that want to leverage their support standards. It includes a user portal so people can keep track of their tickets but also allows tickets creation/update via email which makes things so simple for the end user you can customize this portal with the company logo and preset the auto response message using HTML code. We have been using the inventory feature which is really robust gives plenty details about the IT assets and their warranties. You can set networks scans and Spiceworks will give you very detailed information about everything on your network.

Cons:

Spiceworks software network management needs a lot of the time it is discovering items that you have no interest in managing remotely and yet it keeps finding stuff and bringing it to your attention. The ability to manually add inventory items gets overlapped for the constant network scanning. Spiceworks could open up their code a bit more. Since some specific needs that wouldn't be difficult to integrate/allow but that aren't done with the OpenSource collaboration to add more features and solve the lack of some specific UX desirable features.

Nathan
Network Infrastructure Manager in UK
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201–500 Employees

Best bang for Buck IT Ticket System for infrastructure support

Comments: Spiceworks filled the void where we relied on email for managing internal IT support cases, it's was a significant improvement for issue tracking and managing workloads. It's completely free you just need the hardware to host / run their solution. For anyone who is using email or teams channels to manage internal support cases just stop and switch to spiceworks. The issues with spiceworks is it's very limited on functionality, there's no round [sensitive content hidden] assignments, holidays rotas and multiple dashboards for split teams. It's a very basic ticket system ideal for small teams but don't let that put you off as it's trivial to install & configure and best of all it's completely free.

Pros:

It's very easy to install & configure, their documentation on initial setup is straight forward and overall it's easy to use. It's a very basic ticket solution however it's completely free, if you're without a ticket system and just need something to get you away from emails then you'd be daft not to try it.

Cons:

The lack of advanced functionality you find in paid rival solutions, round [sensitive content hidden], holiday rota, multiple teams and advanced reporting / dashboards are none existent.

Demitri
US
Computer Software

Essential to my daily function

Pros:

This is a free product, which in itself is impressive when you consider what you are being offered. In addition to a customizable ticketing system, you are given an inventory system, and a newly added network monitoring function which so far has been nothing short of impressive (Until now I have been using PRTG Monitor, which in itself is a wonderful tool, but not free.) The initial setup is very easy, and and Spiceworks as a service has very low hardware requirements, meaning you can run it on an older laptop fairly well. The reporting function is a massive lifesaver, as it can help you generate a flexible list of everything from tickets (very flexible in what you want displayed, and how you want it sorted,) to your IT inventory (sorted by office location, purchase date, etc.) The ability to send these reports to our company's upper management to show hours spent on particular projects per month, or what assets need to be replaced due to original purchase date, is a very big plus. The community portal itself is full of helpful people who are always willing to share their knowledge. On multiple occasions where I had to find a solution to a technical problem, I found people who were quickly able to pull more details from each instance, and provide a brief list of solutions in a fairly short amount of time. When you are backed against a wall, this can be a massive lifesaver.

Cons:

Plugin compatibility. Some older plugins may no longer work well with newer version of the software, as well as some of the newest plugins requiring the latest update, but these are just minor nitpicks.

Omar
IT Server Administrator in Mexico
Plastics, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent Help Desk, Easy To Implement

Comments: We needed a help desk that was not only to record computer problems, but we also wanted to help us have greater visibility of the IT environment, computers that fail more, more common failures in the equipment and take advantage of that information to improve. Is very easy to implement, has integration with active directory and the visibility it gives you of the IT environment. The web site has a very complete guide for its installation and deployment. The tool goes beyond a simple help desk as you can have there Your inventory of equipment (hardware and software) and for example uninstall applications from the help desk.

Pros:

It is a very complete help desk allows you to have a great visibility of what is happening with the statistics of category breakdown, work by engineer, attention time, etc.. In addition you can create an internal knowledge base, allows you to have your inventory of equipment, reports, purchase records associated with a ticket, etc.. It is very easy to use for the end user because he only has to send a mail to a specific email address and his ticket is registered in the system. It is very stable and reliable.

Cons:

It takes time to adjust it to your needs, but it has a great forum where everyone helps you.

Guillermo
IT Director in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

So far one of the best helpdesk system I tried

Comments: So far, it very helpful, I easy can track problems and present reports base on the number of tickets. Very helpful

Pros:

It is not that complicated to track your time and the money you could earn, I can add categories and users with a click, alerts and more

Cons:

The mobile app needs some improvements, also no iPad size yet, currently I am using a Samsung tab S8 ultra, the ads are taking mostly of the screen.

Valerio
Director in Dominican Republic
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Everything you need to just open and close tickets

Comments: Our company provides IT support to several customers. Specifically we have installed Spicework to handle the tickets of one of our customers. The organization of our client has approximately 50 users. Spicework has worked without any problems so far. We went from receiving requests via phone or email to having a system to organize the tickets, status and expiration dates.

Pros:

This is a simple software that will allow you to manage the opening and closing of tickets for your organization. You can keep track of open tickets, assign them and make comments. All changes in a ticket automatically generate an email to those involved in them. It also detects on the network new computers, software changes, even can send alerts when there is little tonner in some printer or when there is little disk space on some computer in the network. This can be of great help to an organization's IT teams

Cons:

It can be difficult to install and configure and help is not always immediate. Apart from this it can be a simple tool for the end user.

Becky Jewell
Becky Jewell
Director of Customer Success in US
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Best for IT

Comments: Spiceworks IT makes it easy for my team and I to manage difficult IT tickets as well as track our own internal projects. The in-app emailing notification system helps keep clients up to date on ticket progress, so that we don't have to update tickets and email clients separately.

Pros:

Spiceworks IT Help Desk is great to help manage ticket times and IT tasks. I like that it is made specifically for IT tickets or level 2 software support scenarios, it's definitely more for IT than for software development or software feature tracking. The modules are a little easier to look at than Fogbugz. The admin portal is also easy to use and manage teammates and team workloads - managing inbound tickets and creating brand new tickets (as a manager) to send out tasks is easy.

Cons:

For me it took a while to ramp up and get trained on Spiceworks IT - it was a little bit less intuitive than Fogbugz and JIRA, but, once you learn how it works, it's much better. If anything goes wrong customer support is pretty good. For software development projects where repositories are being merged/ features are being tracked ect it isn't the best fit.

Director of Operations in US
Individual & Family Services, 201–500 Employees

IT Support at its finest!

Pros:

Where to begin - there are so many features and services that we have come to rely on in regard to Spiceworks such as: -Remote data collection on all devices: you can see when a hard drive is out of space before it becomes a problem -Remote data collection on logs: you can see when someone had some log errors and they don't know about it and you catch a system-wide upgrade issue before it affects everyone -Software reports: see who has what installed and if it fits in the companies guidelines -Seamless integration between ticket creation and purchasing. Also, Vendor participation that allows vendors to directly communicate with the whole community and help out, without all the trouble of phone calling and long wait times.

Cons:

The only thing we have identified that Spiceworks doesn't do is patch management but word is they are working on that.

William
Assistant Technology Coordinator in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Spiceworks - The Ultimate Help Desk?

Comments: Spiceworks is an excellent (and FREE!) option for an IT help desk. I guarantee you won't regret at least giving Spiceworks a quick test drive to see if it is a good fit for your team.

Pros:

We have been using Spiceworks for 3-4 years and I absolutely love it. It allows our team to stay on task, easily communicate through notes on tickets, and most importantly get work completed efficiently. We obviously chose this software because it was free, but kept using it because it was easy to use, easy to configure, and had a large community of support behind it.

Cons:

Some features of Spiceworks simply don't work well. Such as the inventory component of the software. It attempts to gather all the computers in your domain and place them in an inventory so you can track and monitor them, but at least half of our PCs just don't report in no matter how much troubleshooting we try.

Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Confusing, Complicated Help Desk Management

Comments: With so much difficultly in getting relevant information out of requests for assistance and making sure that information gets to the correct people, the Spiceworks causes more business problems than it solves, and we have moved on to other products that better address our needs and organizational priorities.

Pros:

The ability to respond to tickets via email with particular commands (such as assigning to a particular person, closing a ticket, etc) is very nice, and the web portal for end users to request support is nicely customizable.

Cons:

Two features of Spiceworks stand out as the least polished and most frustrating. First is the way the software deals with custom attributes for tickets. This information is tucked away in a secondary menu, cannot be easily included in email notifications of a new ticket, and is very difficult to export in any format that makes it remotely usable. Second is the confusing way that IT staff received notifications about activities on particularly tickets, and the inability of the software to consistently CC administrators based on the content or attributes of the tickets. I have spend many hours trying to fine-tune the settings to make sure that my fellow admins and IT techs are not bombarded with emails while also getting notifications about tickets that are relevant to their work, but have given up at this point.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

IT HELP DESK.

Comments: I highly enjoyed using this product and now with the other clients I manage with large office staffs we are also moving to this system.

Pros:

I used this ticket system when I was apart of a IT team that setup a new casino network, software, servers and etc. I started with this software and a IT Tech user and handling my tickets. This software helped me do my job more effectively. I handled my tickets and assets in one location. It allows you to keep track of which user gets which device and I used the assets by mac address. Which in the end saved me a lot of time and frustration. Other techs didn't use the asset the same way so tracking down your devices after deployment is a nightmare. Even from the end user traning was a lot easier to handle because how easy this software is to use.

Cons:

I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a setup issue. But when a user sends a email it would not auto fill in the info for the level of urgency.

Andrej
Slovenia
Used the Software for: Not provided

Probably easiest to use HelpDesk, but lacks some features

Comments: This is definitely one of the easiest to use HelpDesk/Ticketing software. Having WEB and Android APP client. It is actually HYBRID app, where you install part of it on-premise on your server, and another part is running on SpiceWorks cloud. PROS:
Customer simply sends request via e-mail, SpiceWorks HelpDesk responds and creates ticket in system. Any technician responds directly into text box and when clicking SAVE ticket is automatically ACCEPTED and ASSIGNED to this technician. No annoying gozillion of buttons, boxes, dropdowns... YES, you can add extended properties, categories, assets, purchases...but that's all hidden under tabs and is not required for quick and simple operation.
Interface is quite clear, not bloated with too many options and every beginner can use it in seconds. CONS:
The REPORTING feature is very simple to use, you can generate reports easily, customize what to display...but is also VERY LIMITED. You can generate report ONLY in table format. Even SQL-based reports accept only 1 single SQL query, which is displayed in 2-dimensional table.
There is absolutely NO options for custom designed reports, there's no option to change title, subtitle or add custom text with placeholders on report. There is NO option to do any MATH operations, like display a sum of spent time, calculate average response time, count number of support tickets and so on.
Reporting is just simple displaying tickets in plain table, filtered by some criteria, like by date, by category etc. Nothing else.
Also translations are pain. There is translation module, but some translations appear immediately, some require service restart, and some you simply cannot find, as they are packed inside app source code. Finally, the MOST ANNOYING feature is that your users are NOT YOURS. Instead, all users become SpiceWorks users and by default they are set to receive Spiceworks announcements and mails from SpiceWorks partners.
That's becasue SpiceWorks app is hybrid - a part you can install on-premise on your server, while another part runs on SpiceWorks portal and is integrated without a chance to disjoin.

Jim
IT Specilaist in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Spiceworks Help Desk has made my life easier

Comments: I am able to track and prioritize work that needs to be done and communicate with the user about the progress of their request.

Pros:

It enables my user base to submit requests easily and allows me to communicate effectively with those users as far as the progress of the request and helps me to track requests. No more losing my "To Do" list. In addition, I can add a ticket for something I want to get taken care of, assign it a priority and follow updates all from one place. I also have the ios app so I can see it anywhere. In addition to all that, it is free!

Cons:

It's hard to say what I don't like because I am not terribly familiar with other Help Desk Software for comparison. The initial setup was a little confusing for me. There was support but it was email and so there was a bit of time delay. Getting users to understand that they don't need to send a new email everytime because it creates a new ticket has been a challenge.

Travis
Travis
It Security Manager in US
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

Best Free ITSM you need

Comments: SO i came from a government contract and our ITSM is all based on lowest bidder, Spiceworks excels far better than those software's I used .

Pros:

The ease of putting in tickets and meeting resolution target without much communication loss is imperative to all IT operations.

Cons:

So i used the free version of the software being in a start up environment, that being said the software has a ton of adds.