Square for Retail Reviews

• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.4 /5

About Square for Retail

Whether you sell online or in store, Square for Retail can work for your retail business no matter your size or style.

Learn more about Square for Retail

James B.
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2019

"Square Saved Us Big Time"

Comments: Very positive!

Pros: Easy easy easy easy to use! So simple and straight forward any associate can use it. Pricing was great from the get go! Big fans!

Cons: Wish the reporting was a little more expansive.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2019
Joseph P.
LCPC
Mental Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2020

"Credit Card Processing"

Comments: I used Square for my private practice to process credit/debit card transactions. For a small business it will work and cost a lot less than any merchant service I have encountered. The final % for the usage as a small business, is just a pinch too high though. I would recommend this software if you want simple, quick, and reliable service to process debit/credit cards. Be aware of the percentage that will be taken out though.

Pros: Depending on how you use Square it can have numerous pros/positives.
A. Numerous tools to help track finances
B. Excellent at record keeping of transactions
C. User interface is fairly simple
D. Convenient due to that one can just log into Square and do a credit card transaction

Cons: The cons again depend on how you use the software.
A. Amount of % taken out of the transaction as a fee for using their service is a tad high
B. User interface can appear overwhelming with the amount of tools at your disposal but this depends on what your company needs.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2020
Rachael C.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/04/2020

"Square retail review"

Pros: We love this for our small business. We have replaced our cash register. Our young employees can run it and manage. It’s portable for when we do outside sales.

Cons: Really nothing. Had some minor issues...but it was more user error.

• Reviewed on 14/04/2020
Kaycee M.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/12/2019

"Not good for me"

Comments: Its nice to have, but other companies have POS for om hand sales as well. Their prices are a bit too much for a small business such as myself.

Pros: Its easy to use and you can get a POS for on hand sales.

Cons: Their fees are insane, and they will close accounts without warning.

• Reviewed on 9/12/2019
Kristen M.
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 7/05/2020

"Software of choice"

Comments: Taking payments has been so easy. Invoicing as well

Pros: This software is comparable to others in price. It is easy to use and just as easy to add to a website

Cons: Although deposits are made into your account really quickly it does cost an additional fees to deposit instantly

• Reviewed on 7/05/2020
Tanya F.
Office Aministrator
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2021

"Square for Retain"

Comments: Overall experience has been great. Have set it up and used it in three different type of business', two with inventory, one just POS at three different locations in the building.

Pros: I like the ease of use for setting up the register with the icons and groups, and use of inventory and ability to use a scanner for codes to be added right into the sale.

Cons: We had a couple things I was working out with support that didn't get resolved but they had it on their list for a future update. Support is awesome and they help in any way they can.

• Reviewed on 24/06/2021
Kirk H.
manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/08/2020

"Good product but high fees"

Comments: Overall is good, good systems and readers. overall recommend

Pros: We use this product for every business we own. Good product, fees can be a little high though. but we love it

Cons: Fees can be a little high, and there is some restriciton of what businesses are allowed. which can be bad

• Reviewed on 6/08/2020
Sales
  • Reviewed on 9/07/2018

"Love the Square, quick and easy to use!"

Pros: We love that it is very user friendly; with ease you add or delete products or services, change the pricing, update the tax, add notes, and link to your accounting systems.

Cons: There is not a lot that we don't like about Square. It would be nice if there was a notes section for each customer on EFT though.

• Reviewed on 9/07/2018
Tina S.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2020

"Ace precision"

Comments: It was good . I would most definitely consider using it again and recommending it to other people

Pros: Very easy to use and extremely convenient to use. I had to train others on how to use the square. Not hard at all

Cons: Easy to get confused at first use. It might be hard for computer illiterate people But for the most part it’s very self-explanatory

• Reviewed on 28/04/2020
Kevin K.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Seamless Website Integration"

Comments: Amazing solution that just works! Loyalty program is awesome and like everything else, seamless. Honestly was not even planning on keeping the software once a better solution was put in place. This IS the better solution!

Pros: I was able to have my website up and running within a day after the design team I hired to build my site were unable to deliver it in over a month's time. Once you have input your products to sell it is a seamless process to get them onto your own website with Weebly.

Cons: There is a bit of redundancy when adding new products, but not too bad. Especially once you get the hang of it.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
James A.
Food & Beverages, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"Easy to get started and expand as you grow!"

Comments: Outstanding overall. Square is super reliable and user friendly.

Pros: I like how easy it is to create a great looking online storefront. Clean and simple design options, easy to add/delete items, keep track of inventory, and an endless list of benefits!

Cons: It is limited as far as page layout and imagery! The gift card function is not displayable on the product pages... or if it is I've not yet figured it out.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Lisa M.
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2021

"Now i spend my days enjoying my job"

Comments: again spending my time doing more valuable things lets me grow my business instead of counting tee shirts

Pros: This feature is amazing, it takes a little time to set up, but time well invested. I no longer spend my days counting inventory, just look on the system and current count of all products right there.

Cons: cant say any cons here. We are a water sports concession. Offering hats, sunscreen, phone dry bags etc

• Reviewed on 14/07/2021
Kahlil J.
Co-Owner
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2021

"Best POS system on the market today!!!"

Comments: My overall experience with Square for Retail has been great. Compared to other services it is head and shoulders above the competition and it seems like it will remain this way for the foreseeable future.

Pros: Square for Retail adds a professional look to any small business. It helps raise the sales of your business while finding unique ways to reduce costs. It is a highly customizable app that can be tailored to the specific needs of your small business.

Cons: The only thing that I dislike is the processing fee payment structure that they offer. It is a bit higher than other platforms, but the convenience and ease-of-use of the platform makes it worth it.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2021
Mim H.
Technical Product Owner
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2020

"Super easy to use and avoids the common problem of not having cash on hand!"

Comments: I appreciate that this system exists for business owners as I use it often when shopping locally. I rarely carry cash around anymore, so it's super helpful to have a system like this to utilize. I also trust it more than having to "securely" pay someone through another system that involves sending them a payment vs being able to swipe my card using the magnetic strip reader.

Pros: Living in an area where there are a lot of community events (farmers markets), smaller boutiques and local shops, I tend to use this as a consumer a lot. I love how simple it is to utilize when I'm checking out, how it allows me to use a card vs having to carry cash around.

Cons: I can't think of any cons to this system as a consumer and user of it. There might be charges incurred for the business owners that implement or purchase the system, but I would say it is definitely worth it from a consumer-standpoint.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2020
Tammy W.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Square for Retail makes life simplier"

Comments: Square enables me to be able to sell remote without having to add pricey equipment.

Pros: We have used Square in our retail location for over 2 years now. We also utilize the system for mobile sales. We love being able to use one system for both. Square doesn't require extensive training and is self explanatory.

Cons: I would love to be able to text our customers to broadcast announcements, sales, etc. This is currently not an option which requires us to have additional third party software.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Russell W.
Music Producer
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2020

"Recieve Your Payment In Any Form With This Innovative Software"

Comments: I utilize Square for Retail anytime that I am selling my merch in the streets. For example, if a customer is not carrying any cash, I simply will let them utilize their credit or debit card to make their purchase on the spot.

Pros: The thing that I liked most about this particular software is the fact that it makes it possible for you receive any form of payment no matter where you are. It's simply the epitome of convenience.

Cons: There were no cons with this particular software; and I can guarantee you that you would have an extremely hard time finding any as well.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2020
Amy F.
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 6/01/2020

"Great product!"

Comments: I would definitely recommend this product to somebody just for the ease-of-use alone! If you are a crafter or a small business owner who travels and has a booth instead of brick and mortar for a store I highly recommend this product for easy travel! Or even if you are a store that has brick and mortar it is so easy to add and change your inventory but I also highly recommend this product for you!

Pros: I love using my square register for my retail as a crafter and a writer. I go around to craft shows to sell my books and my products and I use Square all the time. It is a great product because it is so easy to use and I can use it right on my phone which makes it even simpler so I don't have to log a laptop or another credit card processing system with me.

Cons: The only problem I have with this product is the fact that the percentages for the processing fees keep going up. Not making very much as a crafter or a writer every penny counts. I wish there was a way to minimize the processing fee .

• Reviewed on 6/01/2020
Steve C.
Youth Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/01/2020

"Square - Useful for Churches as Well!"

Comments: We have used Square to help facilitate receiving CC payments from our "customers" in both our church's coffee shop and book resource center, and it has been great! I would definitely recommend this to any church trying to open a coffee shop or book resource center of their own.

Pros: I appreciate how Square has so easily integrated into our church's in-house coffee shop and also our church's book resource center (like a small book store). Square just makes the running of our coffee shop and book resource center so EASY!

Cons: The only drawback that I can see is that, in our church, we have a population of individuals who may be unfamiliar with the idea of swiping a credit card through a device attached to an iPad... I can see how the "newness" of this tool might be daunting to some individuals (and thus potentially hinder them from using it), but on the whole, this is a very SMALL concern. So far, the "pros" have FAR outweighed the "cons"!

• Reviewed on 12/01/2020
Kimberly C.
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2019

"Love it!"

Comments: It's been great! No problem other than the name issue.

Pros: Super easy to use and phenomenal customer service! I've had it for 6 months and never had a problem with the software.

Cons: No cons except, there is no way to change your name with square. I got divorced and wanted to change my last name on square after I had it legally changed and they said I would have to start a new account from scratch. So now I'm stuck with that last name for my business.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2019
Lauren K.
Automotive, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Game changer!"

Comments: I love it! I was searching for months and researching all different types of POS software and hardware and always came back to Square being the best bet. The quality is just there. The ease of use, the sleek feel, great customer service and great rates. I trust Square with my business and so should you!

Pros: I love how easy everything is to setup and use. No crazy long instructions to try to figure out and there aren’t multiple steps for just one thing. So user friendly. Love that everything is in one. Checkout features, inventory, clocking, card processing everything. They offer so much more too than just what I use. Amazing!

Cons: The cost of hardware is kind of pricey but honest the value and quality is there so I can’t really complain!

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Julianne H.
Writer
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/04/2019

"Best POS system I've found"

Comments: As a small business owner, I would highly recommend Square over other services that have higher fees and monthly charges. It's easy to use and I almost never experience glitches, so customer service isn't even needed that much.

Pros: Despite what I wrote in my "cons", this really is the best software I've found for card sales for my company. Most of them charge you a monthly fee in addition to a percentage of every sale, which thankfully is not the case with Square. It's very easy to use if you're not familiar with POS software. Customer service is also very easy to reach and quite friendly from my experience.

Cons: Unfortunately, you have to buy their most expensive software to only have 2.4% taken out from every credit card purchase. Otherwise, you'll be charged more. I know that's just how POS systems are... but it's too bad we are charged a percentage of every purchase to simply use their product, given it's not their money. I also wish there were more customization features available. I just used Quickbooks (which is compatible with Square) instead of Square itself to do all the customizing so I also didn't have to put Square advertisements on all of our receipts, which doesn't look very professional.

• Reviewed on 14/04/2019
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2020

"Square for Outdoor Retail Transactions"

Comments: Square is accessible with a low entry cost and it allows users to get into the point-of-sale with credit cards easily. Per transaction cost is expensive. Now that certain banks offer the same buffering that Square does (at one time, Square was one of only a few), I believe I would have been better off selecting a local bank to work with that has a lower per transaction fee. However, for me, the customer service really is the downfall of Square. While everything is working, all is good. Once a problem arises, it becomes dicey.

Pros: If you are in an outdoor recreational type of business, Square works well because it does not require internet to complete a transactions. It's buffering capabiity provides 72 hours of time between a transaction and when it must be connected to the internet to "send" the transaction . This allowed us work near a riverbank where internet was not available and still accept credit cards. This was hugely important.

Cons: On one occasion, we had a transaction which billed double on the customer's credit card yet we only received payment once. Her bank directed her to us. Square's customer service was dismal. I ended up just eating the $150 transaction vs. attempting to work with them. Had I used a local bank, I think this would have been resolved with much more ease.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2020
Janna W.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/04/2020

"Square is super easy and I love it."

Comments: Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

Pros: I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

Cons: There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

• Reviewed on 2/04/2020
Chase M.
IT Sales
Facilities Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Great for entrepreneurs"

Comments: It is very easy to use and convenient for my customers

Pros: The ease of use for this product is amazing. I love how you can make a sale with the virtual terminal by either swiping a card or sending an invoice.

Cons: The fees per use can be cumbersome. However all pay portals have some sort of fee to use their product.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Travis W.
Operations Manager
Museums & Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2021

"The new way to handle Point of sale"

Comments: We started using Square just for events then migrated to using it for all of our credit card transactions and now we use it for our entire point of sale.

Pros: The overall ease of use is great. But the real winner for our organization was that the merchant fees were so much more reasonable than our prior merchant. The ability to track inventory is also very helpful, and has simplified my life.

Cons: The void system being only for restaurant usage is a bit frustrating. The reporting system could also use more options for customization.

• Reviewed on 17/07/2021