- Cloud, SaaS, Web (107)
- Installed - Mac (13)
- Installed - Windows (71)
- Mobile - Android Native (25)
- Mobile - iOS Native (26)
- Case Management (73)
- Certification Management (35)
- Crime Scene Management (46)
- Criminal Database (62)
- Dispatching (58)
- Evidence Management (70)
- Field Reporting (68)
- Incident Mapping (74)
- Investigation Management (63)
- Scheduling (43)
Table of Contents
What is law enforcement software?
Law enforcement software helps public safety and security organizations manage data and public records. Law enforcement software systems facilitate the storage and transfer of data from body cameras, crime scene photographs, closed-circuit TV (CCTV) feeds, smartphones, satellites, and other agency databases.
The benefits of law enforcement software
- Reduced operational costs: Law enforcement software systems offer database management, case management, dispatching, and scheduling capabilities, all of which reduce overhead costs associated with the manual completion of such tasks by preventing human error and facilitating paperless operations. These systems also make all data accessible to relevant officers, which improves collaboration between departments.
- Improved records search: Centralized databases allow officers to find relevant records with the help of advanced search functionalities, including specific details like education, biometrics, family records, and criminal history. This eliminates lengthy paper trails and reduces search lengths as part of an investigation.
Typical features of law enforcement software
- Crime scene management: Documents and secures crime scene evidence and evidence records.
- Criminal records database: A repository that stores and manages criminal records.
- Dispatching: Dispatch staff members and resources to incident sites as needed.
- Evidence management: Allows officers to collect, document, and secure evidence.
- Field reporting: Helps on-site officers create and file reports on the go.
- Investigation management: Create streamlined processes to ensure smooth case investigation.
- Scheduling: Helps create and manage the work schedules of officers and other staff members.
Considerations when purchasing law enforcement software
- Mobile access: Most law enforcement agencies need to stay in touch with officers who are in the field, communicating from remote locations. It's essential for these agencies' law enforcement software to offer mobile functionality for officers/agents on the go. Software buyers should determine their specific mobile access needs, and only shortlist law enforcement software that meets those requirements.
- Integration with social media platforms: Social media monitoring allows law enforcement agencies to obtain useful insights and evidence, including public photos, conversations, videos, search history, and more. On the public relations side, social media platforms also help law enforcement agencies reach out to their communities and establish trust. Buyers should research the social media capabilities and integrations offered by law enforcement software vendors before making a purchase decision.
Relevant law enforcement software trends
- The internet of things (IoT): Law enforcement agencies need to transform their operations to keep pace with mainstream adoption of IoT. Connected devices such as sensors, drones, and wearables can help agencies monitor traffic, prevent parking congestion and reduce crime rates. According to our research , almost two-thirds of small businesses plan to implement IoT technology within the next two years.
- Artificial intelligence (AI)-enhanced monitoring: AI technologies and their applications are making a significant impact on law enforcement through real-time monitoring and surveillance of recorded activity by leveraging facial recognition and deep learning technologies to identify perpetrators, alert agencies, and reduce crime. Expect this trend to continue in the coming years. According to our research , in the next three to five years almost all software applications will incorporate some form of deep learning and AI tech.