Filter Results (210)
Table of Contents
What is farm management software?
Farm management software automates business management, record keeping, and accounting for farms, ranches, and agribusinesses. Farm management system solutions help farmers and agricultural companies perform the following:
- Planning and forecasting
- Cost-of-production analysis
- Payables and receivables
- Check writing and payroll
- Tax preparation
The benefits of farm management software
- Niche features: Farm management software is built to track metrics that farmers and herders care about. Unlike more general business software tools, farm management system already include data categories for seeding, irrigation, livestock vaccinations, crop yield, etc. Users don’t need to customize their own data metrics—they’re already there.
- Greater efficiency: Farm management software keeps careful track of how resources such as water, time, land, and money are used. Careful, strategic resource allocation helps agribusinesses save money.
- Better business projections: The agribusiness industry depends on projections. How much seed should you plant this year? When will the price of beef be at its highest? Some farm management system include projection analytics that help users base business decisions on data that can maximize efficiency and profitability.
Typical features of farm management software
- Crop management: Manage crop production records and seasonal production shifts.
- Inventory management: Manage stock inventory, medication status, feed records, and replenishment.
- Field mapping and planning: Use GPS mapping to draw field boundaries, mark points, measure acreage, and calculate distances.
- Weather records: Manage information pertaining to soil erosion and farm pollution caused by weather changes and other global phenomenon.
- Labor management: Manage working hours, shifts, and payroll for your agricultural workforce.
The farm management software directory lets you filter by feature(s) to view options that meet your business needs, which can help you narrow your software shortlist.
Considerations when purchasing farm management software
- Species-specific options: General farm management system solves problems across the agribusiness industry. Species-specific tools can serve the unique interests of goat herders, cotton growers, cattle ranchers, and other monoculture users. Consider your long-term goals before choosing a system that is either too specific or unnecessarily broad for your business needs.
- Tracking versus planning: Almost all farm management software is designed to track real-time metrics such as accounting, procurement, and inventory. This functionality meets most consumers’ needs. Some farm software, however, also offers predictive capabilities. Intelligent statistical analysis provides insights that can boost efficiency and profitability.
Relevant farm management software trends
- Agricultural software will increasingly depend on artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to forecast predictions: AI algorithms are getting better at processing market trends, weather forecasts, historical records, and farm analytics into actionable business intelligence. This technology is creating new efficiencies that give early adopters a competitive edge in a crowded industry with notoriously small margins. According to a Capterra research, 68% of small businesses plan to adopt AI and machine learning in the next one to two years.
- Wearable technology will give agribusiness deeper insights into labor efficiency: Agribusiness has adopted wearable technology arguably more than any other industry in the form of livestock tagging. Soon, farm laborers will also have their own wearable devices to help managers track their movements and yield better data than ever before. This data will support labor management decisions, year-to-year fertilization, irrigation distribution, and more. According to a Capterra research, 54% of small businesses plan to incorporate wearable technology in the next one to two years