Table of Contents
What is digital signage software?
Digital signage software allows businesses to create and broadcast multimedia signs, advertisements, and informational content. These applications can convert smartphones, tablets, touchscreens, TVs, and monitor screens into display mediums, which can be mounted on lobby walls, exit doors, conference rooms, or can be installed as kiosks. Digital signage solutions applications are popular across hotels, restaurants, casinos, airports, and shopping malls.
The benefits of digital signage software
- Cost-effective: Using digital signage solutions is more cost-effective than traditional print advertisements. Once designed, the ad can be immediately displayed on a screen for an indefinite period of time. Also, unlike printed pamphlets and paper flyers, digital signage can be easily modified at any time. There is no paper distribution cost or wasted materials once the campaign is over.
- Attention-grabbing display: According to independent research, digital signage captures 400% more views than static displays. Digital signage system offers many design customization options to help draw attention to your display.
- Social media connectivity: Digital signage system can add social media feeds, RSS feeds, weather updates, stock updates, and many more widgets to pull in live updates while advertising daily content.
Typical features of digital signage software
- Content scheduling: Manage the schedule for content to be displayed on your digital signage.
- Media library: Store all media content (text, images, video, presentation slides) in a central repository.
- Remote display management: Manage display boards remotely through a smartphone or web interface.
- Visual editor: Edit digital signage content using a visual editor.
- Audit trail: Keep track of all the changes made to content, as well as date and time stamps for all activity.
- Automatic updates: Automatically update the digital signage software with the latest version.
- Customizable templates: Use pre-built or customizable templates to create multiple designs.
- Layout management: Manage the layout of the content displayed on digital signage screens.
Considerations when purchasing digital signage software
- Content formats: Digital signage solutions support a variety of content types. From simple alpha-numeric output to images, presentation slides, and HD videos, there are all kinds of digital signage software options in the market. But advanced features come with a higher price tag, and buyers may end up paying for more than they need. Determine the type of content you want to display on your digital signage and choose software that meets your display requirements, within your budget.
- Pricing model: Some digital signage system vendors charge by number of display screens, while others provide a one-time license that covers an unlimited number of screens but requires a heavier upfront investment. We recommend evaluating your digital signage needs to see which pricing model would be more cost-effective for your business in the long run.
- Customer support and training: Initial training programs continuous support is important to ensure that your software runs smoothly. Buyers should evaluate the training and support offered by each vendor. Reading user reviews is an excellent way to research the level of customer support each vendor offers.
Relevant digital signage software trends
- Audience interaction: Leading digital signage software vendors such as Screenly are planning to implement chatbots in their system . This will transform display boards into dynamic ones that can modify content based on audience actions. This pairing is already being used in retail where boards display personalized content to help buyers make decisions, and offer promotions based on customer interactions.
- Deep analytics: Signage boards have moved from static screens to more advanced touchscreens with built-in cameras, voice recognition, and proximity sensors. These devices are capable of measuring audience reactions to content being played. Touchscreens can also track clicks on specific content and measure the performance of different marketing campaigns.